Hammer

What drives you bananas?

598 posts in this topic

Speaking up for the grocery store cashiers, my daughter used to be one when she was in college. She said that she hated it when customers complained to her about the stores shortcomings....as if she could fix the problem.

One time she told me that a woman customer came up to the cashier next to her, and complained that the store had moved the bread aisle to a different place, so she had to look to find it "Why did they move the bread aisle? I knew where it was before, now I had to go and look for it!"

The cashier, a friend of my daughter's replied, "That's right lady, we moved the bread aisle, just to pi$$ you off!":D

Speaking up for the grocery store cashiers, my daughter used to be one when she was in college. She said that she hated it when customers complained to her about the stores shortcomings....as if she could fix the problem.

Oh gosh, like patients asking me what channel something is on on his or her in room TV. Uhm, the last time I watched TV at work was...never.

Or patients complaining to me that their TV picture is fuzzy. Let me stop attending to my other 3 patients' medical needs to look at your TV. Actually, I know nothing about the TV and the TVs aren't even handled through the hospital, but rather through a 3rd party company.

I hate it when people drive under the speed limit period.. I know this one's irrational. :P

LOL, I hate that one too. Part of it was that my driving insructor drilled it into my head the first 4 lessons that you go exactly the speed limit...not one mile over or one mile under. EXACTLY the speed limit.

Then on our 5th lesson she told me to speed up because I wasn't keeping up with traffic around me.

(So now I'm annoyed when anyone's going too slow *or* speeding. LOL)

I'm also annoyed when someone does that - changing the rules midstream. Grrrrr.

And men. Don't even get me started on them today. (present company excluded of course) LOL.

Uh oh...maybe I shouldn't have started on this thread either.

Over the years I've learned not to correct people as I am told it is rude to do so. But it is so-so-so hard! So this thread gave me a chance to get it out.

Sparrow, that reminds me of another one - someone once asked me to check out the web page they were building & make sure it "looks ok." I proceeded to correct a couple of glaring misspellings, then got jumped on because "That's not important. I just wanted to see if there was anything you noticed that would take away from the message." Um....for many, that does take away from the message. If you don't want me to make it "look OK" then why'd ya ask?

Another thing that bugs me...when I buy software online, and I download it from the manufacturer's website, after I install it, it checks to see if there are any updates, and there are....lots of updates. I just downloaded it from their website, why can't they just update the software I just downloaded to a more current version? Instead, I download an older version of the software, then have to download a bunch of updates to make the software current.

I hate when you're on a conference call with 100+ people spread over 1,500 miles and people won't show up on time or leave their phones off mute. *hack* *shuffle* *crackle* *wheeze* *beep, beep, beep ****ing beep* Gawd, you'd think I worked for a taxi outfit rather than a high tech firm.

I hate it when I'm at home computer-wise cruising along and then I get to work and it take four minutes for Windows to get a grip. Petty, I know, but yeah :T

Another thing that drives me bananas......people who drive a hybrid car and speed. They like to tell people that they drive a hybrid car that is rated at 60 miles per gallon. Of course, they aren't getting anywhere near 60 mpg because they fly down the road, so what was the purpose of buying a hybrid?

This is something that really bugs me. Every day you will read in the newspaper or hear on the TV news, a story about something, and the reporter will say that the source asked to remain anonymous because they weren't authorized to comment about it.

Why don't they find out where these leaks are coming from? It's always the same thing...."the source, who was close to the investigation.....", or "the unnamed source, who asked to not be mentioned because the investigation is still ongoing".

In some cases, the information was of a sensitive nature, and may have caused harm by being revealed.

I have seen this in stories about the war, in stories about a criminal investigation, in just about everything. Maybe someone will do something when a TV reporter says something like: "A source who asked not to be named because of the sensitive nature of the story, told us that American forces are preparing for a secret invasion of the Taliban held city on Friday, and that this 5am raid will hopefully result in the capture of the top Taliban leaders who are staying at their southern compound.":rolleyes:

"Non-handicapped people parking in handicapped spaces ...

People who park in front of the door to the store instead of a parking space two car lengths away ...

People who block the handicapped ramp to the sidewalk with their illegally parked cars ..."

I especially HATE to see a young, apparently healthy person park in front of a store or in a handicapped parking space, jump out of the car, & run into the store ... some handicaps are not visible, I know, but if you're that energetic, guess what? You CAN walk the few extra steps & should get in the habit of it while you're young.

Worst pet peeve of all time for me: Being in a public place and seeing/hearing a parent or other adult being verbally abusive to a child. I know I have no right to intervene, but I detest what it does to children's self-esteem!

What drives me a little bananas, is having my daughter, who just arrived at our house after spending a week with her 8 girl friends at a private island in the Bahamas and flying on private jet while we are watching her child and comes in, in a bad mood. Stays the weekend with us the whole time in a bad mood. Did I mention this was Valentines weekend, I had a special one planned for me and the misses.

I had no idea flying on a private jet to private island in the tropics with 8 of your girl friends could be so horrible.

BY the way I got fussed at for not watering down the juice for my grandkid, had a bit of the squirts in the car on there way home.

This is the second time I got one of these this week, and it irks me. You go to have some medical service done. It might cost $1,000 or whatever. Your insurance covers it, or you might have had to pay for it at the time of service, whatever. Weeks go by and you get a bill in the mail for services not covered by insurance or some type of co-pay. The bill is for $1.50. I mean REALLY? I have to waste a check, a stamp, and an envelope because after they got their $1,000, they still need to bill me $1.50? What a waste!

This is the second time I got one of these this week, and it irks me. You go to have some medical service done. It might cost $1,000 or whatever. Your insurance covers it, or you might have had to pay for it at the time of service, whatever. Weeks go by and you get a bill in the mail for services not covered by insurance or some type of co-pay. The bill is for $1.50. I mean REALLY? I have to waste a check, a stamp, and an envelope because after they got their $1,000, they still need to bill me $1.50? What a waste!

Online bill pay for the win!

Another thing that drives me bananas are movies that roll the credits at the beginning of the movie. They are going to roll the credits when the movie is over, so why do they need to do it at the beginning too?

Add to that, that most movies start while they are rolling the credits, so who do they think is going to read the credits? Everyone is trying to watch the movie, not read the credits. Then, to top it off, if you watch the credits after the movie is over, because you want to see who a certain actor was, they make the print so small that you can't read it. Does it cost more to make the print bigger? Why bother to even have the end credits if no one can read it?

I hate it when they show a section of the movie after the credits! I mean seriously... gah

They take 2 years for the sequel to come out... really. Like Iron Man and Chipmunks.

Another is when people fuss at me for sleeping in late... I am a college student for goodness sakes! And just dx with narcolepsy yah take that people!

Lol

I have a huge pet peeve about women who draw on their eyebrows!!! lol At least try to draw them to where they look sorta like natural eyebrows instead of 4 inches long and the ends going upward!!! Whew, I feel better getting that off my chest!!

i HATE when people are too lazy to put their grocery carts back in the corral, and leave them in the parking lot.

i also HATE when people don't signal their turns or lane changes— this to me is the epitome of laziness. all it requires is for you to move one finger, less than an inch in most cases!!

i also really don't understand unnecessary waste, overpackaging and most "disposable" products... and people/companies who don't make an effort to reduce, reuse, recycle, compost, think about their impact on the environment infuriate me!

i have many pet peeves...i'm an irritable person :) but those would be at the top of my list.

I do my best to mitigate my footprint on the planet, but what most people dont realize is that while there was a huge campaign to get people to recycle nobody was pushing industry to buy and use recycled products. At least in the states. I know for certain that in my area they charged extra for recycling and then dumped the recyclables at the transfer station and mixed it with regular trash for deposit at the landfill. Extremely upsetting when you invest the time to clean and sort.

Aduccembimb likes this

-When someone's used all the toilet paper and hasn't bothered to change the roll.

-When they don't deodorize the toilet after doing a gigantic dump.

-When they leave drops of urine on the toilet seat.

-Doing all of the above.

-People putting on their loudspeaker on the bus or in public. I don't want to hear about your relationships let alone 'who's screwing who'.

-People who use clinky pens during exams. I will stab you with it.

-People who can't shut up during lectures. Why did you come in the first place?

-People who look at me in disgust while I inject.

:o Oh that felt amazing.

I have a lot of urban hates:

I hate when people ride their bikes on the sidewalk. I'm in NYC and the sidewalks are always crowded. Don't ride your bike if you're too chicken to ride it in the street where it belongs. I always make sure to plant myself in their path and slow down.

I hate when groups of 3 or 4 people, and it's almost always college students or men in suits, walk side by side down the sidewalk, taking up the entire width. You'd think they'd get the hint to break up when the 12th person going in the opposite direction has had to push through their little meeting.

I hate when I (and others) have been waiting for a bus in the heat or rain or cold for 20 minutes and when it finally comes, a woman who has just gotten to the bus stop pushes ahead of everyone else to get on first. I also hate cell phone conversations on the bus.

I hate the person ahead of me in line at the supermarket who holds everyone up because she insists a product she's trying to buy is on sale when it's not. The customer still won't believe the cashier even when shown the sale flier that lists a different but similar item. The customer then insists on calling the manager over and after much arguing, decides that she doesn't want the non-sale item but would like someone to go fetch the item that is on sale.

I hate walking past an office building and having to hold my breath as I pass by 20 people taking cigarette breaks. It's 10:00am, not lunch time. I think it sucks that people get to take cigarette breaks during the day. Get back to work!

I hate my lazy-*** co-worker who brings a copy of The Village Voice into the only bathroom at work and spends half an hour reading it.

I hate it when you hurry to get to the doctor's office to make it there for your appointment, then sit there for 1-2 hours past your appointment time before the doctor sees you.

Or, when you drive a long way (in my case, 75 minutes in a snowstorm) to get to the doctor's office in time for your appointment, only to have the receptionist tell you that the doctor won't be in that day.

Or when your daughter tells you that she's going to stop by your house tomorrow, so you clean, dust, vacuum, and scrub your house so that it is immaculate, then buy certain foods that your daughter likes so that she will have something to snack on when she gets there, only to have her stop in for 5 minutes to say hi, then leave.

When you check the TV networks to see what's on, then set your VCR to record it, only to find that instead of the boxing match you wanted to see, the network changed at the last minute and instead, broadcast something that is totally boring like soccer. I'd rather watch grass grow than sit through 90 minutes of people running up and down the field with little or no action....except for when player "A" lightly brushes against player "B", and player "B" falls to the ground like he was run over by a truck. Yeah, that's a real sport!

I saw a thread like this in another forum, so I thought I'd start one here.

There are hundreds of things that drive me bananas, but I'll just name a few here.

People who talk on their cell phones in public.....as if I really want to hear their phone conversation.(they should outlaw cell phones.)

I loathe cell phones. I may have logged two hours on my current phone for the past four years. I love technology, but I hate gadgets. Your person is the last thing you can invade, and I want to keep it the way it always has been. I want at least one aspect of me and my life to be technologically free.

If I am out and about, I don't want to be bothered. I have MSN, a land line, etc, they can leave me an email or an IM or a voice mail.

Now, I must get back to bed! Mmmmmm.... Fan.

Another thing that bugs me...when I buy software online, and I download it from the manufacturer's website, after I install it, it checks to see if there are any updates, and there are....lots of updates. I just downloaded it from their website, why can't they just update the software I just downloaded to a more current version? Instead, I download an older version of the software, then have to download a bunch of updates to make the software current.

It's easier to just release patches then to rebuild the entire package if it's just a minor change.

This is the norm tho... Kind of like Windows XP. One official release, three service packs. :T

Wanna add one more thing, if I were all of you, I'd say I drive you all bananas. ;)

:laugh:

Two things today got me riled up. The first I think I may have mentioned before. I received my 3 month supply of insulin pens (Lantus) from the mail order pharmacy that I am forced to use. They sent one box that contained two of those pillow packs (as I call them) with 3 boxes of pens in one pillow pack, and 6 boxes of pens in the other pillow pack. Of course, each pillow pack has two packs of cool water to keep the insulin cold.

Well, as always, the insulin wasn't cold. The pillow pack with the 3 boxes of pens was cool, so that was okay. The pillow pack with the 6 boxes of pens wasn't cool, it was hot. I opened several boxes of pens and felt the pens and they were hot. If you placed the boxes against your face, they would feel uncomfortably warm. So much for keeping the insulin from going bad.

I've called these people on several occasions to complain about this, but nothing is ever done about it. I called them again today, and they had me speak with a pharmacist.(I guess he is responsible for packing the boxes properly.) As always, he apologized for the problem. I told him that an apology was worthless to me, since they apologized when I complained before, yet I keep getting warm insulin. He said that he would ship me another batch of pens to replace the ones I just received. I asked him to package them better or I'd be sending those back too.:mad:

Okay, number two. I went grocery shopping this morning. I got there at about 6am (Wal-Mart is open 24/7). I went to check out, and at that time of the morning, they usually only have one cashier open, since there are very few customers.

Okay, now the irritating part.....they have 18 checkout counters in the store, but the moron working there was using the only checkout counter that had a broken conveyor belt. I mean, couldn't she have moved over to the next one? What a pain in the butt! The aisle isn't wide enough for the shopping cart and a shopper, so you have to stand in front of the cart and try to reach as far back in the shopping cart as you can to get to your groceries, then you have to move the shopping cart out of the aisle so that you can get behind it in order to be able to reach the rest of your groceries.

Since you have to stand in front of the cashier so that you can place the groceries on the counter where she can reach them, you have to grab the groceries, then turn and place them on the counter. If you have a bad back like I do, it's already hurting from doing the shopping, then, you are making it really bad because of the bending over the cart, then standing up and turning.

Usually I stand at the very back of the conveyor with the cart right next to me so that I can pick up the groceries and place them in front of me on the conveyor. There is a space for a person to stand where the conveyor begins to allow you to place the cart on your right side.

I didn't say anything to the moron. I wanted to, but she works at Wal-Mart, so her life sucks enough as it is without me making it worse.