Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Searchy

Abbott Freestyle Lite USB Cable- Windows 7 64 bit driver?

83 posts in this topic

Has anyone found a driver that works for this under Windows 7 64 bit?

I'd really like to move my copilot installation to a new computer but I can't get the cable to work under 64 bit windows 7. It worked fine under win7 32 bit beta.

I'm trying to find the driver to use the USB with a Mac... I don't use copilot since it's not compatible with a Mac, but I was always able to upload data via the serial cable using a USB converter.

When I went to Vista Abbott recommended "KEYSPAN". Actually, it was the only manufacturer they recommended. But I have an older cable serial to USB.

Doug x64 Home Premium ... No Windows XP mode, I did try and run it in Virtual PC, but the USB passthrough did not work because of lack of W7 x64 drivers.

Moon Baby, Thanks for the link I'll give that a try.

When I went to Vista Abbott recommended "KEYSPAN". Actually, it was the only manufacturer they recommended. But I have an older cable serial to USB.

Yeah it's straight USB cable ... not a usb to serial converter.

But thanks for the suggestion, I might have to make a serial cable just so I can use a USB to serial converter that works.

So after a lot of tinkering and reading and googling ... I found out that the manufacturer of the Serial to USB chipset is Texas Instruments ...

Namely a TUSB3410

So I just did a bit of googling for that and 64 bit driver.

Now, the chip in the Abbott cable is branded for them, so it has a different device ID which makes windows detect it as a Abbott Stereo Cable instead of a TUSB3410.

So after a little creative editing of the regular TI driver, and a little trial and error i have a 64 bit working driver for my windows 7 install, and I can finally turn off my old Windows XP Laptop.

I've sent a message to Princesslinda to see if I could attach my version of the driver to this thread, am awaiting the word from her.

If anyone is interested in my version of the driver, I'll give it to you with the express stipulation that if it doesn't work for you or if if blows up your computer or kills your rubber tree plant you shall hold me not at fault.

Send me a PM or an email from my profile here if interested.

hmmmm I guess even if Princesslinda says it's okay to attch the driver to this thread, I couldn't anyway. The file is larger than the maximum size for attchments.

So if you want it, you're going to have to email me anyway :)

Well, the driver worked great! I can download my meter readings again! I have a doctor's appointment in the morning and wanted to bring in my readings.

(And it didn't kill my houseplants or my cats!)

Thanks again for taking the time to send me the drivers AND instructions. I've updated my Excel spreadsheet with the latest readings - I have over 3 years of readings now after I was able to start downloading the readings instead of handwriting them in my paper log.

(OK, and you can call me lazy, I could have fired up another laptop, installed the software and so on but it's been a very looonngg and frustrating week.)

Abbott 64 Bit Windows Driver

Instructions are inside the zip file in a word doc.

Got the Okay from the powers that be :)

Thanks.

If you download them and they work please leave me a little message.

I'd love to know that I helped someone else.

Wow, what a service you have performed for us! I am back in business and can now safely retire Vista from the laptop as well. Yea! Now if I can turn off the constant warning window I get--nothing to do with the cable driver, was getting this before getting the cable to work--about my computer having 0 Kb of memory for a report requiring 13,900 Kb and growing. I have to click by this to do everything in CoPilot now. I'm sure there is something I can set properly to stop this.

Thanks again Searchy!

Fantastic!! I had called the abbott customer service people last month and they were useless.

I am amazed that you could create this driver (and they could or chose not to).

Thanks again!!

Jesse

heh, i managed to get a freestyle meter from the company, and a freestyle meter from the dr so my husband has one at work as well, but no one will pony up that cable thingy. Eventually I'll pop the $30 for one, unless you guys know how to score one for free? It was you all to begin with that informed me that I shouldn't have to PAY for a meter for my husbands diabetes - and ya'll were very right.

the development was likely all outsourced so to make a small change like that, ends up being large project that requires a budget and months of planning.

As opposed to walking down to the developers desk and asking...

Ahh the beauties of outsourcing... It saves SO much money... :mad:

the development was likely all outsourced so to make a small change like that, ends up being large project that requires a budget and months of planning.

As opposed to walking down to the developers desk and asking...

Ahh the beauties of outsourcing... It saves SO much money... :mad:

The problem is .... this little hack took up about ~5 hours of my time through research and finding the serial to usb chip manufacturer that Abbott uses.

After gathering that information, the process of getting it to work was rather short. ~30 minutes of my time, to get the driver to install. Being as I don't do this on an every day basis, I'm willing to bet that whoever is responsible for this at Abbott could have their software engineers or the people they outsouce to produce the same solution in probably about 10 minutes of their time because of the following reasons.

1) They already knew who the usb to serial chip manufacturer was.

2) They do windows driver testing/etc as their regular job, and thus wouldn't have had to learn how it works.

3) It was really just a couple edits in a text file which is supplied with the driver from the manufacturer.

I just picked up a Freestyle Lite today, my Accu-chek Nano was playing up and I've had the eye on the Freestyle Lite for a while. I'm impressed on a number of fronts, I'll be using this.

No cable, so if I order a cable on the net, and get the right driver (I'm on win 7 64 so I might be keen to use your handiwork Searchy) and download from the meter, what do I end up with - a database file of some kind?

I just picked up a Freestyle Lite today, my Accu-chek Nano was playing up and I've had the eye on the Freestyle Lite for a while. I'm impressed on a number of fronts, I'll be using this.

No cable, so if I order a cable on the net, and get the right driver (I'm on win 7 64 so I might be keen to use your handiwork Searchy) and download from the meter, what do I end up with - a database file of some kind?

I use the Abbott software "Co Pilot" It's pretty handy. I haven't opened up the file that it uses, but I'm guessing it's a proprietary database format. So I''m not sure if I answered your question, but that's why I needed the driver, so that Co Pilot could talk to my meter.

Ah ok, sounds proprietry eh? Hope springs eternal that they just give the data so you can use it how you will...

I guess this means I need to buy suftware too, just to look at my data? How surprising. :(