Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davewmich

Hypo vs Hyper glycemia...

10 posts in this topic

I'm sure this topic has come up a billion times, but humor mr wannabe Dr House newbie will ya:)

ANYWAY i've been trying to find sites to compare n contrast hypo vs hyper, as of now i don't know what i am, PROBABLY hypO but...haha the lists they give for symptoms on both are very similar, and i actually have some of BOTH.

So if anyone knows some practical ways to differentiate the two, fairly accurately and difinitively, that would be great.

Oh and here's what the site said:

The causes of hyperglycemia are too much food, too little insulin or diabetes medicine, illness or stress. The onset is gradual, but can progress to a diabetic coma.The symptoms are:

Extreme thirst

Frequent urination

Dry skin

Hunger

Blurred vision

Drowsiness

Nausea

Hypoglycemia is caused by too little food, too much insulin or diabetes medicine or extra exercise. The onset is usually sudden and may progress to insulin shock.

The symptoms of hypoglycemia are:

Shaking

Fast heartbeat

Sweating

Anxiousness

Dizziness

Hunger

Impaired vision

Weakness and/or fatigue

Headache

Irritability

the only "practical" way to tell one from the other is your BG levels

as far as telling one from the other from the symptoms is probably hunger, I am hungry when hypo but not when I am hyper, though you will find that diabetics don't seem to fall into typicals. what I find typical for me won't be typical for the next person.

So if anyone knows some practical ways to differentiate the two, fairly accurately and difinitively, that would be great.

Simple - a BG meter will tell you if you are hypo or hyper. I wouldn't go by any other single thing. Thing is, a lot of the side effects of both, is physiological stress response. Which, surprise, can occur with lots of things, from psychological stresses to other ailments, allergies, fatigue, etc.

Second that you need to test. I started the first of several 4 hour diabetes classes and they gave us two pages with symptoms of hyper and hypoglycemia. At least 50% of the symptoms overlapped. The only way to tell is to test your blood sugar.

Incidentally, being hypo is an early indicated of diabetes. It's called reactive hypoglycemia and that is what brought me to the doctor to begin with. I would get these sudden bouts of irritability, shakiness, dizziness, etc. I would crave sugar like none other and not long after eating something high in sugar it would go away.

I saw a doc who tested me about 3 hours after eating a very carby meal. I tested at 154. I discovered the my problem was diabetes- a disease of hyperglycemia.

What happens to a lot of pres and early stage Type 2's is something known as reactive hypoglycemia. Your blood sugar rises quicker than your pancreas can produce insulin. Your pancreas pumps out more insulin in response and then when your body responds, you end up going low from too much insulin in your body. It is a sign that you are losing that tight glucose control nondiabetics have. I did not have any of the classic hyper symptoms like thirst, but it was there. Just not for long enough durations to know what it was.

The only way to tell the difference between the two is to test.

hmm thanks...yeah i havnt craved SUGAR 'like no other' at all so, or been ravenously thirsty, THOUGH i am peeing alot! soo, yeah hehe. just trying not to stress...but thanks for the info.

Check with yor meter if you are 50 or under you are hypo. if your over 300 look out!

Actually, the standard is 70 or under. (By 60 I am feeling quite low.) You also want to be under 200. Anything over 200 is the diagnostic threshold for diabetes. Anything over 140 is the diagnostic threshold for prediabetes.

gracci...well SO far i've only been 'a little high' and 'normal' so...(crosses fingers). i think i WILL pick up a meter, speaking of which, do you guys know the cheapest value for test strips?? besides ordering hehe...i know the strips are the trick by looking them up before, is like $25 about as cheap as you can expect to go at any walmart/walgreens etc?

gracci...well SO far i've only been 'a little high' and 'normal' so...(crosses fingers). i think i WILL pick up a meter, speaking of which, do you guys know the cheapest value for test strips?? besides ordering hehe...i know the strips are the trick by looking them up before, is like $25 about as cheap as you can expect to go at any walmart/walgreens etc?

True track or targets meter.