Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Debbie Sue

I am always cold!

27 posts in this topic

Ever since my bs #'s have been coming down and have settled around 6.0 - 6.5, I have been cold. Is it normal to be cold? I was used to wearing shorts and t-shirts all year long but now I'm in hoodies and blue jeans every day. Last summer I felt cooler than I ever remember in my entire life. I have frozen over repeatedly this winter and have had the shakes on several occasions.

Is it normal to feel cooler/colder when bs comes down?

Ever since my bs #'s have been coming down and have settled around 6.0 - 6.5, I have been cold. Is it normal to be cold? I was used to wearing shorts and t-shirts all year long but now I'm in hoodies and blue jeans every day. Last summer I felt cooler than I ever remember in my entire life. I have frozen over repeatedly this winter and have had the shakes on several occasions.

? Got thyroxine? :D

Seriously, get your thyroid checked.

How do docs test for thyroid probs? I don't want more meds!

Simple blood draw.

THOSE meds are one a day, easy to take, and ... they make you FEEL SO MUCH BETTER. :D

If your thyroid is low-functioning, you may also notice slower growing, more brittle nails and/or hair, and skin that is dry. The main thing for me was being cold when other people were not. Like Linda said, the one little daily pill does a world of good, and it's a medicine I always need and want to take.

What are the side effects of the drug? My hair has never looked better, no dry skin or brittle nails.

Oddly I used to know a Debbie Sue from Kansas.

What are the side effects of the drug? My hair has never looked better, no dry skin or brittle nails.

I didn't either. Have always had oily skin and strong nails .... never noticed a change -- and my TSH was, like 85 at diagnosis -- ie, frank hypothyroidism!

I did have some horrible muscle pain, though, and plantar fasciitis (foot pain), had it a long time, it went away once I began the meds and I never realized it was a symptom till about 4 months later. I also had painful lactose intolerance for a couple years, I read in one text that that has to do with turnover of intestinal mucosal cells.

Oddly I used to know a Debbie Sue from Kansas.

We had a pretty successful crop of em, a few years back! ;)

We had a pretty successful crop of em, a few years back! ;)

Actually I'm originally from the Joplin, MO area and not a Kansas native. I do know having the name Debbie Sue makes me feel so old... blah! :T

Hypothyroidism isn't the only possibility; just something to rule in or out easily. Plus, we (diabetics and women) very often have this issue. I've never experienced any side effects from synthroid or levothyroxine. But without it, I get a dull, ever increasing tiredness and susceptibility to cold . . . and eventually weight gain (about 5-10 lbs.).

Actually I'm originally from the Joplin, MO area and not a Kansas native. I do know having the name Debbie Sue makes me feel so old... blah! :T

Take it from a Linda ... I feel that way a LOT, but we actually have a Linda MUCH YOUNGER than I, on here! :D And I know some pretty youthful Debbies, as well.

It could also be that your body is "saving energy" by not producing as much heat as before. (see Basal Metabolic Rate). Body heat is produced by our cells and the thermostat can get turned down if the body does not have as much energy as before... or conversely it could have been turned up before when there was excess energy to dispose of. Do you find yourself more or less fidgety than before? Fidgeting is another way we use up energy we have to spare. Again, just a suggestion... not a definitive answer :)

Another question/possibility is: have you lost much weight recently? Less insulation AND less excess energy to use up.

DebbieSue, it may be that you're on some meds that are "thinning your blood." Some BP meds, asprin, fish oil, all of these can cause your blood to thin....which can cause you to be more cold-sensitive, as well as to bruise more easily.

I notice i'm more cold natured than I used to be. I've always had cold feet, even as a child, but now I just feel the cold more than I use to. My thyroid checks out okay.

You may have had a thyroid test and just not realized it as part of your yearly physical, so check with your doc and see.

I wear socks all the time now.

BTW, Debbie Sue doesn't sound old to me..it's sounds southern. We're known for our "double names." I was "Linda Kay" before I got married and kept my maiden name as my middle name.

It could also be that your body is "saving energy" by not producing as much heat as before. (see Basal Metabolic Rate). Body heat is produced by our cells and the thermostat can get turned down if the body does not have as much energy as before... or conversely it could have been turned up before when there was excess energy to dispose of. Do you find yourself more or less fidgety than before? Again, just a suggestion... not a definitive answer :)

Another question/possibility is: have you lost much weight recently? Less insulation AND less excess energy to use up.

As far as fidgity, seems like I'm not near as much as before dx'd with type 2 and having lower bsl. I have lost weight, but it was faster closer to dx's. I have put on a few pounds and I do feel better. The coldness has been going on since I hit the 6.0 mark. Sometimes I get severe shakes for a minute or two then it stops.

As far as fidgity, seems like I'm not near as much as before dx'd with type 2 and having lower bsl. I have lost weight, but it was faster closer to dx's. I have put on a few pounds and I do feel better. The coldness has been going on since I hit the 6.0 mark. Sometimes I get severe shakes for a minute or two then it stops.
How restrictive is your diet? I hope you're not starving yourself?

I'd suggest that shakes -- other than shivering with the cold -- might need further investigation.

I was born, raised, and graduated from high school in Joplin.

After my BG came down, I am cold natured - I may need to check it also. Didn't think of that. All my life, I wore shorts all winter and my wife always said I was like a Furnace. Never cold until dx'd. Larry

I was born, raised, and graduated from high school in Joplin. Larry

Oh really? How chaz is that! I attended Columbia grade school, North Junior High and Memorial High School. I finished high school at Central christian academy in 1979. How about you?

How restrictive is your diet? I hope you're not starving yourself?

I'd suggest that shakes -- other than shivering with the cold -- might need further investigation.

Just controlling the carbs, between 75 and 100 a day. I have had Parathyroid surgery and had one of those glands removed. I don't know if that'd make any difference. Maybe menopause is starting up. I will be 50 this year...

Oh really? How chaz is that! I attended Columbia grade school, North Junior High and Memorial High School. I finished high school at Central christian academy in 1979. How about you?

Ahhhh .. You sweet thing, Let me help you feel young again ..Debbie Sue. . Ha!

I graduated before Memorial was built. There was only Joplin Senior High School - 20th & Indiana. It was new when I started there. I graduated in 61. (that is 1961, not the history type 1861). I remember Fred's Spegetti Red. Larry

Ahhhh .. You sweet thing, Let me help you feel young again ..Debbie Sue. . Ha!

I graduated before Memorial was built. There was only Joplin Senior High School - 20th & Indiana. It was new when I started there. I graduated in 61. (that is 1961, not the history type 1861). I remember Fred's Spegetti Red. Larry

Sent you a pm... :D

Thinking out of the box here, I spent a winter at Fort Riley, Kansas when I was in the military. Coldest place I've ever been. You might just take into consideration this has been the coldest, longest winter in over 25 years and you're just, well, cold.

Thinking out of the box here, I spent a winter at Fort Riley, Kansas when I was in the military. Coldest place I've ever been. You might just take into consideration this has been the coldest, longest winter in over 25 years and you're just, well, cold.

It has been colder here this winter I agree. I was having the shakes back after I started taking Metformin. It's not as bad now and my dr. didn't seem too concerned then. I have been keeping a space heater with me almost constantly.

What year were you at the Big Red One? My husband and I spent 3 years there back in late 70's and he got out in 1980. Small world I'm in today between you and Larry! :) :)

I have always been cold. All my life. It has to be 70 or over for me not to be cold. :) But I have alos also been skinny person too. Muscle mass it what keep one "like a furnace" and I don't have any. I have just recently been diagnoised and I am still a coldie. Esp. my nose, hands and feet. :)

You should checked just in case but just a questions. DId you lose a lot of weight and have a lot of muscle mass?This can happend with people who lose weight or fat which kept them warm before but now as a skinny person with maybe not much muscle mass they will be cold. Circulation plays a part too.

I haven't got specifically my thyroids checked before (although had full blood panel doctor didn't say anything) but I have thick nails that grow like weeds and although my hair doenst grow as fast there is nothing wrong with it.

So i would get checked just in case but it could be a host of things other than thyroid.