Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustinAT

Blood Sugar 124

14 posts in this topic

I had less than half of a subway turkey sub with some veggies and honey mustard...and some cool ranch doritos

I really don't know how long ago maybe an hour...

Is this a harmful blood sugar level to be at?

I'd say it is at the high end of the normal range (70 -125mg/dl). Not a harmful level but is it stable, going up, or going down?

Check the nutritional values for subway breads... some of them are pretty high in carbohydrates.

I'd also be looking to the honey-mustard to check for sugars (carbs) and of course the Doritos aren't really food at all ;)

I understand that Subway will do the same turkey (probably contains HFCS) on a green salad instead of a sub but watch the hidden carbs in dressings and croûtons etc... full-fat dressing may be your best bet.

I'm utterly confused and terrified here...I've tested 6 times now

the results are as follows

166 *wtf*

Some timee when I do several Bg testing I will get erratic numbers like that. As long as it with in my acceptable range I don't worried about it.

I think someone else may chime in about what is an acceptable Bg numbers. There is information that organ damage begins. when you are over 140 so 125 is in an acceptable range.

Many here though try and keep below 110

Yeah well 166 is really not an ideal number for me...lol...

man it's times like this when I wish I had vodka...or some weed...

Instead I have a prescription for Xanax...the anxiety attacks are such that it makes living and sleeping hard...people say living with this gets easier but it hasn't for me...

not.one.bit.

My Dr said for me to be 120 before each meal, and 140 2 hr post meal... the 120 is for me, because I have had type 2 for 37yrs and mainly not on meds.

I can't see where have a spike of 140 2 hr post is going to do damage...

As I said above 124mg/dl is at the high end of the normal range... therefore it is OK. If the normal range for your car's revs are 2,000 to 6,500 you will not damage the engine by spending some time at 6,000 revs... above 6,500 revs is another matter ;)

Over what time frame were the multiple readings you list above? The 166mg/dl could have been a random error... dirt on your finger or whatever... it happens. :cool:

people say living with this gets easier but it hasn't for me...

not.one.bit.

I see, from your sig, that it's only been a few weeks since diagnosis. It *does* get easier but, IME, it didn't happen quickly. Hang in there....

As for that 166: you didn't say how far apart those BGs were taken or when you ate (times, etc.). 5 minutes apart? 30 minutes apart? Also, is it possible that you had something sticky or sweet on your fingers when you tested? It doesn't take much to give a false high! Statistically speaking, it's an outlier.... Focus on the good numbers there, the 70s and 80s.

Again, hang in there....it gets better and easier...

the anxiety attacks are such that it makes living and sleeping hard...people say living with this gets easier but it hasn't for me...

not.one.bit.

Trust me, it will get easier. I don't think it's ever easy but it does get easier. Have you tried taking melatonin at night to help you sleep? My doc suggested trying it right after I was dx because I was having trouble sleeping also. It's available in the supplement isle.

Yeah, the bg ranges are just a barometer and really depends on many factors, my body has responded for the past 6 months since I have been a googd boy and consistently taking my meds. I think no, better yet, I know that exercise will lower my bg levels once I get back on the tennis courts. However, it's my diet that will be a challenge. I am going to aim for the next 6 months of having my BG hover around 110-120 and next year I want to be around 90-110.

Daniel

Geez how far I have come in 14 mos -- I am happy to see a 124 and for now it is a nice fasting reading for me. :(

But yeah keeping below 120 is not an unattainable for goal for some!