Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dwm042

Omega 3s and "thin blood"

2 posts in this topic

This is just an anecdotal comment coupled with something picked up while reading. There is a general recommendation that people do not eat more than 3g of EPA/DHA omega 3s in a day. Normally I don't, but this Sunday..

I was not planning on eating any oily fish this Sunday so supplemented my diet with 3 fish oil tabs, for ca 900 mg of n-3s. That night, my wife gets an urge to cook salmon and does so; she's found a good supplier of wild Norwegian salmon. Two hours later, when I prick myself, my blood no longer forms a nice little ball. It's really "fluid" and doesn't want to pool.

Omega 3s thin the blood in the same fashion that aspirin does. That's pretty much a given. But I'd never though I'd see such a dramatic effect just from eating a little oil and some fish.

This morning my blood seems perfectly normal. But I think it's something to watch, and I'm pretty sure it's the reason that the upper bound is supposed to be 3g of n-3s a day.

D-

Interesting. I work for surgeons, and we tell our surgery patients not to take fish oil tablets just before and after surgery because of its blood thinning properties.