Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

removethehaze

How Can I Stop Lantus Weight Gain????

8 posts in this topic

Simply put, since I've been on high doses of Lantus, was 58, now down to 46, I've been gaining weight. I went from 195 to 205 in 5 months.

I exercise, and don't eat any more than before I started to gain weight.

Does anyone have a secret as to how I can stop this weight gain, without starving myself any more than I am :questionm :questionm :questionm

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

Simply put, since I've been on high doses of Lantus, was 58, now down to 46, I've been gaining weight. I went from 195 to 205 in 5 months.

I exercise, and don't eat any more than before I started to gain weight.

Does anyone have a secret as to how I can stop this weight gain, without starving myself any more than I am :questionm :questionm :questionm

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

I was on lantis, and I got stuck at a certain weight. No mater what I did I couldn't get lighter. Dr. Took me off Lantis and put me on Victoza.. I lost pounds in 10 days and 18 pounds over the next 2 months.. Dr. told me that Lantis is Insulin based and thats what kept the weight on. Victoza is not insulin based. Byetta also is good for weight loss and in Oct hopefully Bydureon (once a week injection) will be even better than Victoza or Byetta.

RCL

I too am on Lantus and I have been consistently losing weight on a very low carb diet. That is what I found to work best for me and if I start to plateau, I cut carbs even more and it gives me a boost and I start losing again. I found Lantus works for me only as well as I eat...does that make sense? I should mention low carb for me was 50 gms a day or lower and now I am at 30 gms a day or less.

I know the feeling Pastor Paul. I've been on Lanus for a few years now, and between that and the Novolog, I've gained 70 pounds. The weight gain isn't all because of the insulin, but I know some of it is.

It's a kind of Catch 22 situation....if you take the insulin, you gain weight. If you gain weight, you need more insulin. You end up increasing both your weight and your insulin needs.

I haven't figured out anyway to lose the weight, but then again, I am not able to exercise. If I could exercise, that would be the only way I could lose some weight, but I would never lose the amount I need to be in my normal weight range.

One way to get exercise is to go shopping....for anything, as walking around the stores or mall will burn off calories and lower your BG a bit. I noticed this when I go grocery shopping. For me, as long as I have a shopping cart to lean on, my back doesn't bother me as much. Of course, walking to and from the store is a real pain for me. I try to avoid shopping in a place that doesn't have shopping carts, as my back couldn't handle it.

As several have mentioned, you need to eat low carbs. That helps a lot of us keep the weight off. I'd suggest trying a 100 carb a day limit at first. See how that affects your weight,and if you can, try reducing that 100 carbs limit to less. I know it's not easy, but it does get easier over time.

Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest. Good luck!

I need 120 units of Lantus a day and I've been losing weight like crazy. I'm not low carb, but definitely lower carb (maybe 60-80g per day...I don't really track it I just try to stay aware and limit consumption). I've also changed over to a vegan diet. I'm pretty liberal with olive oil and started using a little coconut oil a couple of weeks ago. I'm definitely not starving and while I do get hungry, it's the normal "It's dinner time I'm hungry" kind of hunger. Not a gnawing "please I wish I could eat" all day long kind of hunger. I've lost at least 25 lbs. since March, but I know I've lost more since I last weighed.

I basically eat to my meter and try to keep my BGs between 70-140.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

you should not feel like you are starving yourself! that is absolutely unsustainable. my opinion is that you should eat more fat and protein until you feel full!

i have been on lantus for nearly two years and i have NOT gained any weight!

:)

-- joel.

Insulin is the major energy storage hormone... this includes Fat storage.

No need to starve yourself... just eat foods which don't tend to raise your BG, thereby needing less insulin.