Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dturney

Bad Advice

150 posts in this topic

There are those of us who find comfort in consistency.

EDIT: I forgot the Sarcasm tag, oops.:rofl:

:eek::D Thought I would just check in...see bad advice is the rule of the day...as usual.

Please tell me you don't live your personal life like this. You must have no friends.

Just so this isn't a big mystery for some newer people -- Don eats from all food groups and does not (excessively?) limit carbohydrates.

Sadly, there have been "fights" over the subject.

Just so this isn't a big mystery for some newer people -- Don eats from all food groups and does not (excessively?) limit carbohydrates.

Sadly, there have been "fights" over the subject.

No fights...I am right and they are wrong simple as that .

Please tell me you don't live your personal life like this. You must have no friends.

Contra xMenace .....I have 1 friend....

There are those of us who find comfort in consistency.

EDIT: I forgot the Sarcasm tag, oops.:rofl:

Hi janice21475 how's the hubbie?? and I agree with your commit I have being doing my D thing going on 42 years this year....and without coconut oil??????? although I love it on popcorn.

I haven't seen any bad advise in here. Though I may be too new to realize what is bad advise.:confused::confused:

You must be really new ....However there is some good advice to be had , however, you need to look for it....You would think some of these people have the cure for diabetes....Nope! not even close....

Thank you samorgan ..how are things in Sdiego......still eating fat????

You betcha! 75% of calories or more. Still no meds. My last A1C was 5.1. I don't even test much any more - no need as there are no surprises. I really enjoy the freedom. Other than a few looks for the way I eat, nothing about me says "diabetic". No needles, no pills, no travel kit - nothing. (And of course, NO non-normal BG numbers.) Yeah, I still have a meter and test strips, but not very important any more. I just learned how to eat instead.

Everything's great. I hope it's the same for you.

Oh, I finally got a VAP test and found out that in addition to stellar tryglycerides and HDL, my LDL is all large particle size - the non-harmful kind. No worries there. BP is textbook. Overall, I'm at "very low" risk for any CV problems per my lab report.

Let's be sure to check back in 10 or 20 years, OK?

Oh, if you're still worried at serum cholesterol, spend 1 minute 18 seconds here:

Complete Lack of Correlation Between Cholesterol & Heart/Arterial Disease

You must be really new ....However there is some good advice to be had , however, you need to look for it....You would think some of these people have the cure for diabetes....Nope! not even close....

Yeah... New dx as of 12 Jan 2011

You betcha! 75% of calories or more. Still no meds. My last A1C was 5.1. I don't even test much any more - no need as there are no surprises. I really enjoy the freedom. Other than a few looks for the way I eat, nothing about me says "diabetic". No needles, no pills, no travel kit - nothing. (And of course, NO non-normal BG numbers.) Yeah, I still have a meter and test strips, but not very important any more. I just learned how to eat instead.

Everything's great. I hope it's the same for you.

Oh, I finally got a VAP test and found out that in addition to stellar tryglycerides and HDL, my LDL is all large particle size - the non-harmful kind. No worries there. BP is textbook. Overall, I'm at "very low" risk for any CV problems per my lab report.

Let's be sure to check back in 10 or 20 years, OK?

Oh, if you're still worried at serum cholesterol, spend 1 minute 18 seconds here:

Complete Lack of Correlation Between Cholesterol & Heart/Arterial Disease

Hey Salim,

Thanks for the You Tube link.....great video and information. I also have had a VAP test done and was very pleased with the results. I have Type A LDL and love it!

Eating a LC/HF diet is the best diet for most folks (even without Diabetes). I have gotten several of my friends and family to join me on this lifestyle. I am Livin' la Vida Low Carb and LOVING IT!!!!

Welcome to all the fun! Take everything you hear with a grain of sale - especially from health care professionals. There is a lot to learn! The good news is that what is healthy for us is healthy in general. That's why many T2's (myself included) end up deciding that T2 was the best thing that ever happened to them!

Diet is like religion. Everyone has their beliefs and most think theirs if the one true faith (I certainly do :D) so there is some amount of evangelizing, especially to new diabetics.

Realistically humans are omnivores so you can live on pretty much anything which brings it down to how you want to manage your diabetes. There are many ways to skin a cat (apologies to cat lovers) and the low carb / high fat approach is one. Personally I don't like it because I prefer a more balanced diet so like dturney I eat all food groups, including carbs, in moderation and use insulin to manage my levels. If I can equal his 42 years and counting I will be very happy.

Diet is like religion. Everyone has their beliefs and most think theirs if the one true faith (I certainly do :D) so there is some amount of evangelizing, especially to new diabetics.

Realistically humans are omnivores so you can live on pretty much anything which brings it down to how you want to manage your diabetes. There are many ways to skin a cat (apologies to cat lovers) and the low carb / high fat approach is one. Personally I don't like it because I prefer a more balanced diet so like dturney I eat all food groups, including carbs, in moderation and use insulin to manage my levels. If I can equal his 42 years and counting I will be very happy.

Welcome to all the fun! Take everything you hear with a grain of sale - especially from health care professionals. There is a lot to learn! The good news is that what is healthy for us is healthy in general. That's why many T2's (myself included) end up deciding that T2 was the best thing that ever happened to them!

The one true religion thing is a debate for another time and thread. From what I have read, it certainally true that there is many different ways to manage diabetes. I'll take what medical professionals say with a grain of salt, but I would prefer ketchup. :P

Joined a gym yesterday, and they wanted a BP check before I could participate. They tested me twice, both at 126/60. Following the good advice of my health care team, I was lucky to hit 145/80. I'll take the bad advice here any day.

Well said.

And, since Don's original comment, I believe, was directed at how folks are giving advice, and the means in which it is being given (including tone, and enthusiatic debate.) I DO believe your analogy to religous evangelizing is apropo.

I too have seen that many paths get to the same destination. And, I have seen those same paths FAIL to get to the destination. I know a person right now who has kidney failure and believes he will die that used Bernstein (he was actually a patient of Bernstein) and exercise. He now cannot keep his numbers down below 200 depite having lots of insulin. So, even the insulin route is now a failure.

I like to remember that a newbie is scared. Is needing encouragement, and support...not just information. We who have been there and know that fear, need to help in that area as well.

We also need to remember that they are intelligent human beings, capable of thinking for themselves, and making decisions. And, if they do not agree with what we are presenting; that it is THEIR choice. It is not our place to decide that their decision is wrong. Their method may succeed to give them years of good health. Whether it be lc/hf or hc/lf or Vegan, or Atkins or Mediterranean. If it is working! Let the trumpets sound in joy! We all want the same thing. Good health.

And, more importantly. What we all would like; is a CURE!!!!

Personally, I did not care for the tone of this post. The OP was implying that by advocating a LC/HF diet, that this is bad advice.

Yes, I agree that diet can be like religion, but it is poor form to state that someone else who has had great success with a diet is giving poor advice.

Again, I agree that YMMV, and for some, a LC/HF diet may not work. However, for many of us, the LC/HF diet is the best thing that has happended to us, and we want to share that with the worlld!!!!

So, I am controlling my Diabetes without medication and insulin. I realize that I have been only doing this for a year, but I think that I can sustain this and lead a long and happy life.

And, yes, I believe that by limiting the number of carb that I consume, that I will reduce my need for medications, and ultimately push back the day (that maybe) that I will need insulin.

For my part, I would rather live without the carbs and control my BG naturally, then live with the consequences of living a "balanced diet"

Again, each person needs to pick their path. However, it is frustrating to see many members not even try to control their Diabetes through diet restrictions. Our disease is basically an intolerance for carbs....why we would we advise folks to eat them?

So, yes, some of the members here have found success without a low carb diet, but many of us have found success with the LC/HF diet. And many people who do not have diabetes have found the LC/HF lifestyle to be extremely beneficial.

So, as Jimmy Moore would say....find the diet that works for you, and stick to it for the rest of your life. For me the choice is clear!

YMMV!!!!

We can only speak of our personal experiences. And I speak often (and sometimes somewhat loudly!) of mine. I would not call that bad advice.

Don I am glad you are happy with your ongoing results. As I am happy with mine. I agree with Nick, though, your tone leaves a lot to be desired.

Personally, I did not care for the tone of this post. The OP was implying that by advocating a LC/HF diet, that this is bad advice.

:eek::D Thought I would just check in...see bad advice is the rule of the day...as usual.

The OP didn't qualify his comment; he said nothing about diet. I took it to mean all advice on this forum is bad. It was nothing more than trolling -- trying to generate discussion.

If you are willing to look at facts, you'll see that some 80% of diabetics will die of heart disease. The other 20% are probably headed for a worse road. Those aren't very good odds, so in my estimation, convention has gotten it wrong, at least if you want to live long and happy. Bad Advice! My doctors don't see sub-6 A1C's. Every time I visit I'm told at 6.0 or 6.3 I have the best numbers they've seen that day. Always. I prompt them too. My pharmacist, a CDE, my CDE, and my pump trainer concur. A1C's are generally 7ish or higher. I see a lot of 5's and 6's here. I see lots of people reducing or even eliminating meds. I see weight falling off. I see good blood pressures. I see complications stalling and reversing. My own have. I see people getting healthy. There are problems too. We are sick puppies.

The advice here is anything but bad. I wouldn't visit a bad site every day for over four and a half years if it were. It's not all good either. Common sense and validation is always required.

We can only speak of our personal experiences. And I speak often (and sometimes somewhat loudly!) of mine. I would not call that bad advice.

I agree with this and I think it is one of the reasons for my "diet as religion" analogy. If you have found something that works, especially if it comes after a long struggle, wouldn't you want to tell everyone? I think it is entirely understandable and it leads to the evangelizing we see.

The problem for me is that the advice tends to be "go LC/HF now what was the question?" rather than finding out what the person wants to do, how they want to manage the disease, how big change can they cope with and maintain, and many others... If the person is happy to take meds then that may allow them to maintain something closer to their existing lifestyle which could work better for them, if they are up for a radical overhaul then LC/HF is certainly something they should consider along with other options.

Blame samorgan for this as it was in the follow on to a rebuttal article they cited (The China Study: My Response to Campbell « Raw Food SOS: Troubleshooting on the Raw Food Diet). Talking about some responses she got to the original article critiquing the China Study:

Although the vast majority of the feedback I’ve received (both positive and negative) has been intelligent, respectful, and ultimately constructive, I’ve received a few very fiery emails that have made me realize what a deep nerve diet debates can strike. For those whose lives have been profoundly affected—for better or for worse—by food and nutrition, diet can become a personal issue inextricably bound with identity. And as someone who’s already run through a gamut of eating styles due to allergies, ethical goals, and the pursuit of vibrant health, I know how this goes. I’ve been there. In many ways, I’m still there. For this reason, I can wholly empathize with the emotional response my critique triggered in some readers, and I understand why a backlash is apt to occur.

Just made me think of this conversation. :T

I've been reading this thread with interest, and appreciate all of those who have responded. While I agree that the initial post doesn't lend to a good discussion, it seems we've managed to have one anyway. A quality my mom instilled into us as kids was to always try and see things from more than one direction, so I tried to look at things from the OP's viewpoint...and here's my thoughts, for anyone who is interested.

Imagine you were a seasoned diabetic of 30+ years, diagnosed in the 70's, a time when diabetes was managed much differently than today, no in home meters and not a lot in the way of s/f beverages and not nearly as many meds available. Imagine you came to a diabetic forum wanting to share information on how you've managed for so many years. Imagine how you'd feel if some of the newly diagnosed diabetics around the place pretty much dismissed any advice you gave in favor of something new, even though it's worked for you and allowed you to have a pretty typical lifestyle. Imagine you're made to feel that you have nothing to contribute because you can eat a more balanced diet. I think that a situation like the one i've described would put a bit of a chip on your shoulder too. So...while his tone may not have been the best, I for one understand the frustration behind it. I think many here on the forums are made to feel that they have somehow failed if they don't fully embrace the LC/HF lifestyle or if they take choose to take medication to help with blood sugars rather than eating fat, taking supplements and drinking coconut oil (i'm not saying any of these methods are bad, they are just another way of managing, same as treating with meds/insulin, etc). It's all a matter of personal choice, and really who are any of us (Myself and Don included) to say that one lifestyle choice is better than another. We're all expected to be tolerant of everything anyone mentions, yet anyone who presents an opposing view/opinion is not extended that same tolerance (i'm referring to life in general, not the forum with this statement). If you can manage to control your diabetes for over 30 years through WHATEVER MEANS YOU ARE USING, you should be given nothing but admiration and respect, and others would do well to try and learn from your years of experience. I pray all of us will be able to say the same thing Don can say when we are 30 years in.

On a personal note, I am so encouraged by Don's history. As many of you know, uncontrolled high blood sugars took my mom from me way too soon, after years of suffering, so just the thought that someone can be a T2 diabetic and even live to be 73 is a "biggie" to me, and it gives me hope that if I try to keep things under control, that I just might break the cycle of early death from diabetic complications suffered by many in my family.