Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

disgirl

does high blood sugar make you hot?

22 posts in this topic

Do any of you who have type 2 diabetes experience overheating/flushing when your blood sugar is high? Sometimes I get really hot on my face and shoulders almost like a match is lit over me. I'm not in menopause so it's not a hot flash!! Thanks!

Remembering the picture thread we had a couple of years ago, I have to say Yes, there are a lot of HOT diabetics. :)

post-16691-139628778307_thumb.gif

I am sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Are you sure you are high when this happens. It only happens to me when I am very low, you describe that feeling perfectly.

Yes, when my blood sugars are high, my face feels like its on fire and my cheeks are quite hot to the touch. It's similar to a hot flash, the only difference being the hot flashes seem to set my entire body on fire, not just the head and neck.

Fun isn't it? ;)

Well...I'm 38 so I don't think so. My mom was in her 50s when she went into menopause and usually women follow their mom. I suppose I am in peri or pre menopause. I guess it's something I could check out with my doctor..thanks!

Mine always involves the face, neck and shoulders but last longer than a hot flash. I work with quite a few women who have hot flashes due to menopause and they seem to come on quickly and leave quickly.

Hi Penny,

I have only had 1 low since I was diagnosed with Type 2. Once when I was really hot I checked my bs and it was 250 so I feel it's related to elevated blood sugar. I wish I had lows..LOL!!

I've had hot flushes for highs and lows for 50years. I travel for my job and one day it dawned on me that I was subconsviously using the car air conditioning to control my hot flushes. However I've learn't to also control them by altering my breathing (a Tai Chi technique).

One advantage is that my partner thinks I'm a very undersatnding male as I can always pick and undestand her menopausal hot flushes.

All the best

Yes to longer lasting hot flushes for low or high numbers. Mostly high.

I think many women who think they are having menopausal hot flashes are really having the high glucose hot flushes.

This is really too bad as many women are missing the dx.

They might even be told it is Pre-menopause or the worst: 'just stress' which is a common explanation used to deflect patients when docs really have no clue.

Pink

When I go over 250 I usually know it because of the small amount of perspiration that starts on the forehead...not wet per se, just starts with a clammy kind of a wet feeling, and gets progressilvely worse as the number climbs, if I can't get a reading and correct immediately...

I often get a hot flash when my bgs spike 20-30 point. I can almost feel when I get a liver dump by this flushing. At first I thought it was do to Menopause but I am way past that, now.

When I was in denial and didn't take my meds nor my condition, t2, seriously, my numbers were over 200 and was always sweating and always feeling hot. It has been almost 2 years of diligent med taking that it's gotten better in a sense that my body doesn't feel as hot as it used to.

Daniel

I find i am sweating profusely at time especially my neck and chest. not sure if this is happening when blood sugar is going up or down. Am on metformin xr 1000 2x/d Hear is the problem ...have started a new job where i frequently have to make presentations. Last time i soaked the collar of my jacket and hair was wringing wet. How can i avoid this embarrassment in the future??

diagnosed july 2011

For 66 years I have become very hot with high BG, and cold with low BG. Becoming hot on a hot weather day, or cold on a cold weather day, is very uncomfortable!

I find i am sweating profusely at time especially my neck and chest. not sure if this is happening when blood sugar is going up or down. Am on metformin xr 1000 2x/d Hear is the problem ...have started a new job where i frequently have to make presentations. Last time i soaked the collar of my jacket and hair was wringing wet. How can i avoid this embarrassment in the future??

diagnosed july 2011

If you think these episodes of sweating are related to your blood sugars, the only way to be more sure is for you to test during and around the time the episode occurs. It could be related to a blood sugar trend - or it may not. Unfortunately, a lot of diabetes symptoms are very generic and may be caused by other things. Temperature issues, sweating, fatigue, headache, dehydration, adrenalin releases... all examples of things that might be being directly caused by your diabetes and blood sugar, or not at all.

The way to establish a link is to check your blood sugars at these times and establish if there is a pattern. If you find that it is your blood sugars causing side effects, obviously one possible treatment is to see if you can prevent the blood sugar movement in the first place.

This is an interesting thread to me, because I have always been a "hot-natured" person, but it became much worse during the last couple of years. Now that I am newly diagnosed, I have been really watching my diet and started exercising in the past week, and I don't feel so hot all the time.

I'm still figuring it all out!

I will often get an adrenaline rush which then signals my liver to dump glucose. I always get a hot flash when this happens. It is similar to the hot flashes I got during menopause but I am way past that. I often will sweat and have to peel off extra clothes. I wear tank tops even in the winter because of this.