Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bdelatte

Leg cramps after flight

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone had cramps after flying that didn't go away for a few days? I know it is somewhat normal after long hours on plane cramped in a tight space to be a little crampy but I have also read about DVT where it can cause a blood clot in your legs and in worst case a piece of it breaks off and travels to your lungs and can cause a pulmonary embolism....with that said, I flew about a week ago and after I got off the plane it was harder to walk and my lower legs felt tight. It went away by the next day. However, i flew back home two days ago and experienced the same thing but this time I am still feeling tight in my legs and every now and again feel a throb occur (in different places). Should I be concerned?! I am not swollen or warm or warm to touch or anything. Was wondering if this was diabetes related or that DVT I have heard happening to people who fly.

Only a doctor & a 2D color doppler scan would be able to tell you that. Please see a doctor and get further tests done.

I routinely fly for 10+ hours for work. That is not normal. You need to see a doctor very soon. :)

You need to go to a doctor or an emergency room NOW. If it is a DVT then they will know what to do. I have had a DVT & I left it for about 5 days before I saw a doctor. It nearly killed me. I was put straight into hospital. If it is not a DVT then they will be able to find out what it is. Waiting too long can be fatal.

Thanks guys and i called the doctor and will be going to see him in the morning...It feels better today than it did last night but still not gone so def feel its time to get it checked out to ease my mind.

I don't get the leg cramps but do get terrible leg swelling when I travel by car or plane for long periods. My doctor suggested compression stockings when I travel. I will be flying next week and will definitely wear them. I'm glad you are going to the doctor.

I went to the doctor this morning, he thinks because i had the cramping in both my legs and he didn't feel any bulges, redness, heat, etc that it is probably due to a little dehydration because the pressure on planes and the very dry air in them as well....not to mention the extreme heat I have been in recently. He told me to drink half a gallon of gatorade (powerade zero for me :)) in the next day or so and see if it gets better! Thanks for everyone's concern and I will def learn to stay hydrated during flights now b/c those cramps are NOT fun :) But he was glad I came in b/c that DVT is NOTHING to mess around with!

Smart move to go see your doc right away. I am glad that it was not a DVT. Enjoy chugging that Powerade Zero!! :D