Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

disgirl

Does this lower blood sugar?

10 posts in this topic

I read recently that having a glass of water mixed with 1 packet of metamucil a day lowers blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol. Has anyone heard or tried this?

I took a chug of the big M every night for a while. I didn't notice any improvement, in fact it would raise my BG even though it was sugar free. Metamucil is good for only one thing in my opinion and unless you "need the fiber" I wouldn't take it. :D

Negative....I have not heard that, nor find it credible. However, I don't see any reason not to give it it a try. If you do try it....let us know how it works.

Actually there's multiple studies showing various sources of soluble fiber such as chia seeds, psyllium, nopales, flax, aloe gel, etc. can keep bgs a bit lower if taken prior to the carby foods. The more of a 'gel' it forms the better. Metamucil is psyllium if I recall correctly. The studies I read didn't say 'why' but I'm guessing they do something similar to oil in slowing absorption. Whether soluble fiber or oil they seem to be effective taken immediately before the carby foods. Hours before or later doesn't make much difference. Although I will say getting irregular raises my bgs considerably so Metamucil might help there too if that's a problem.

Relocated some on psyllium (Metamucil):

ScienceDirect - Journal of Diabetes and its Complications : Lipid- and Glucose-Lowering Efficacy of Plantago Psyllium in Type II Diabetes

Psyllium fiber reduces rise in postprandial glucose and insulin concentrations in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes

Actually there's multiple studies showing various sources of soluble fiber such as chia seeds, psyllium, nopales, flax, aloe gel, etc. can keep bgs a bit lower if taken prior to the carby foods. The more of a 'gel' it forms the better. Metamucil is psyllium if I recall correctly. The studies I read didn't say 'why' but I'm guessing they do something similar to oil in slowing absorption. Whether soluble fiber or oil they seem to be effective taken immediately before the carby foods. Hours before or later doesn't make much difference. Although I will say getting irregular raises my bgs considerably so Metamucil might help there too if that's a problem.

I have read on here from various members that Metamucil does help lower their numbers---although they did not say by how much. I took Metamucil for a few days once in the afternoon to help move things along. Checked my number 1 and 2 hours after and saw no rise (nor lowering) of my number. But I took it on an empty stomach----perhaps before a carby meal it might help with some of the carbs not being absorbed.

That d*** maltodextrin is pure evil. WHY does it have to show it's face in so many things????? UGH. :(

Seriously!!! I just found out it's also added to the almonds I eat everyday....

That d*** maltodextrin is pure evil. WHY does it have to show it's face in so many things????? UGH. :(

Oh drats!!! Now I know... /stares at a pack of chewing gum/