Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masa_inn

Sweet taste in my mouth in the morning?

10 posts in this topic

Hello to everybody!

I woke up today with a very distinct sweet taste in my mouth. What can it be? Liver dumps glucose straight to my mouth? :D I did not have any carbs before bed. I had two cups of unsweetened regular tea, that's it.

I apologize for asking such a trivial question,but this unexplained sweetness kinda freaked me out.

/BG before bed was 75, this morning - 93/

I usually get that if I am high. Your body is washing out glucose (and this is a reason dental hygiene and checkups are so important for diabetics).

I usually get that if I am high. Your body is washing out glucose (and this is a reason dental hygiene and checkups are so important for diabetics).

You mean have high blood glucose, right? Not high, as in high?

Sorry to threadjack but can you tell me a little more about the importance of dental hygiene and check ups for diabetics?

Thanks! And sorry!

Julia

When I am good about my low-carbing and am in ketosis, I have that taste every morning. So for me, that is a good taste to wake up to! :)

If you aren't in ketosis or at risk of having high blood sugar and high ketones, then I would make sure to test for both and deal with it accordingly as it could be a bad sign.

You mean have high blood glucose, right? Not high, as in high?

Yup, just glucose :)

Sorry to threadjack but can you tell me a little more about the importance of dental hygiene and check ups for diabetics?

Diabetics are more prone to infection and plaque because their mouths are slightly sugary. The better your control the less the risk but it's always there.

Thanks! And sorry!

Julia

Many diabetics with higher bgs than normal have poor dental health. Many times a dentist will be the first to see the signs of diabetes in your gums. Many diabetics end up losing teeth because of too much sugar in their gums. Since I have gone super low carb my dentist has remarked how great my gums are. He thinks it is from flossing. I know it is from low carb.

Ever notice how your urine also smells sweeter than it used to? That is typical for diabetics too. We are just so sweet!

I've never noticed the smell of my pee (good or bad). :D I would be worried if it had an aroma!

I have noticed a significant color change which is to be expected. It's funny how someone can drink liters of water each day and still be dehydrated!

IMHO that's the smell of acetone from nutritional ketosis.

When we're running primarily on fatty acids, our livers break the bulk of these fatty acids down into two-carbon units called acetates.