Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bestjetsfan

Might this be another wonder food . . . Pinto beans?

10 posts in this topic

I stopped at the grocery store today to get a few things and they had a sale on all Goya brand canned beans. I was curious about carb content, so I hecked out the 5 they were displaying and pinto beans caught my eye. 18 grams of carbs per half cup, and of that 8 grams are "dietary fiber." AND there was a recipe on the side for refritos - refried beans. I decided to get a can and test it out one day. When I got home and offered my wife some choices of what to have with baked salmon with salsa; cauliflower with cheddar cheese and ???, she chose refried beans as door number three. I followed the recipe on the label, using a bit nmore onion, two garlic cloves instead of one, and two shakes of chili powder for extra flavor. I did not measure exactly how much I ate, but it was about a third of the can, perhaps a bit more, which was about 21 grams carbs gross, 12 grams net if you county that way. 4 tablespoons salsa out of a jar was another 4 grams carbs and the cauliflower was about 5 gross, 4 net. Total for dinner, 30 gross, 20 net.

The numbers? 6:49 pm, about 40 minutes before dinner began, BG 97. 9:37 pm, two hours after starting dinner, BG 84!? I had 5 units lantus just before dinner as my regular daily dosage and 1000 mg metformin with dinner. PS - no wine with dinner.

My bean of choice is Cannellini or white kidney beans.
I use cannelli for tuscan vegetable soup but when I checked the can labels yesterday, cannelli were a lot more than the pinto beans. I thought they would all be the same, but not true according to the label.

If I make home made beans ( from dry beans) my bg is normally fine.( slightly undercooked) If I am eating beans out of a can, I try & stick to a quarter cup for safety.

Usually foods that are higher in fiber like beans will delay a bg spike. I do OK with small amounts of beans. But for some diabetics they still spike them, so be careful. I do OK with hummus too made from chic pea beans. For me the wonderfood is artichokes and avacados.

It would be interesting to see what your BG level was 3 or 4 hours after your meal. I think that sometimes a meal with carbs mixed together with the fat can take a long time to get digested. Of course, that may not present a problem for you, since you're Type 2 and still producing insulin. But I notice it with things like pizza and re-fried beans.

That said, pinto beans are great. My dad grew up in Cortez, Colorado, home of the annual Pinto Bean Classic (golf tourney).

This is a test of the photo upload softare since no one else seems to use it. This is me chopping assorted wild and exotic mushrooms to make risotto at a New York Jets tailgate in September 2991. That was about 55 pounds ago.

post-43675-139628780304_thumb.jpg