Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyleHaze

Delicious low-carb Pizza

5 posts in this topic

I'm surprised there are not more pizza recipes here. But I have been "fine-tuning" this one for a while, and it is definitely worth sharing.

There are options of course,

The four basic ingredients are :

A low-carb crust substitute. The easy to find one is "Mission" brand carb-friendly large Tortillas. Available at most grocery stores, including that big "Wal" one. But if you can find them, an even better option is whole wheat "Roll-Up" from Damascus Bakeries. I get these at under $5 per dozen at BJ's wholesale club.

The Pizza Sauce: The easy way is Ragu Homestyle pizza sauce. Very low in carbs, and can be found most anywhere. The better option, especially if you prefer "old style real italian" sauce, is this recipe :Old School Pizza Sauce - Best Recipes Evar I make it exactly as posted, except of course with no sugar added. It is REALLY delicious!

Next up is Cheese: Low Moisture part skim Mozarella. No brand suggestions, I've tried quite a few.

FInally, a bit of Pepperoni finishes the pizza. We like Hormel, and we avoid the "mini", but you can choose for yourself.

Preparation is quite simple. Preheat oven to 450, toss whichever crust you chose onto a flat baking pan or pizza pan.

Add about 2 Tablespoons of sauce and spread evenly. Crumble cheese, then cover with 1 layer of Pepperoni.

Bake in a fully preheated 450 degree oven for 7 minutes. Slide it off and cut with a pizza cutter. This is WAY too thin for a regular knife.

My first reaction was good, but in short time I have really grown to love these. I prefer them over any store bought or delivery pizza, and so does most of my family. It's not considered a "diabetic" food because everyone seems to love them.

My wife who cannot have any dairy deletes the cheese and adds black olives and pineapple. She is especially happy with the homemade sauce also. The Ragu is fine, but the homemade stuff just adds zing to the flavor.

Diabetes is no fun, but this recipe has helped me to keep a delicious low carb option available.

I hope it helps others as well.

There's another option for the base as well.

If I'm experimenting, what I tend to do is bind beef or lamb mince with egg, parmesan, basil and oregano in a bowl. I then flatten it out as thin as possible into a big round base and oven bake for 20 minutes. Then you add your sauce and mozzarella on top and bake for a further 10 mins. It's extremely filling when done - it's not quite pizza as you know it, but I still enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing! I sometimes make individual pizzas using regular pizza sauce (5-6 carbs per serving), mozzarella cheese, sometimes pepperoni and a crust made of a mixture of flax, parmesan cheese, seasonings, olive oil, water, egg, etc. I can look up the recipe and post it here if anyone is interested. I pan fry the crust in olive oil and then bake the pizza so it has some crispness to it.

I sometimes make "mini pizzas" using a slice of eggplant as the base, it works well for us.

There are a few pizza recipes here, you may have to change the search dates, to go back a year or to the beginning.

I buy those low carbolicious pizza kits and really like them. They are very low in carbs and come with the stuff to make the crust as well as sauce included. They are pricey about 8 bucks i think a box and then u do have to go buy your own toppings, cheese, peporonis, etc but its worth it for me to be able to have something close to pizza! :)