Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

genefegan

Diabetic can't afford insulin?

21 posts in this topic

I'm asking for my dad. What can you do when you are a diabetic and can't afford the insulin? We're on rough financial times due to his kidney transplant and my mom's triple bypass surgery. My dad is disabled but was denied for disability. We've had to ask his doctor for samples and it seems like he thinks we're just trying to get out of paying for it. We're not those kind of people. If we could pay for it we would! We do, when we have money! But we're out of luck. Our church says they won't help my dad because we've had to rely on them in the past. We have no one to get money from and we don't qualify for financial assistance. If this keeps going we could very well end up without a home. My Doctor told me that i cant find cheap Insulin in a pharmacy online. I well take a chance to order from them she told me its from Mexico online site. Can any one tell me if you guys think it well be a good choice? sHE SAID THEY DO NOT ASK YOU FOR PRESCRIPTION.

Thank You! I really apreciate your advice i just hope i cant survive. I am so broke. I checked the website Medicines Mexico and they have it their so cheap but well see how it goes. :):):confused:

Try that company you've recomended in all your posts. They may also be expert providers of spam

Be careful when ordering anything from Mexico or Canada. I've heard and read too many horror stories of how the drugs aren't handled properly and sometimes very weak. My guess is, watered down. It's kind of a pay what you get type thing.

Ask the doctor about using NPH and/or R depending on what he's on. Both of those I believe cost around $40 compared to the average of $110 for Lantus/Novolog/Humalog/etc. They have different profiles and actions, but can still be used. I was on them for 20 years, so obviously they won't hurt.

Try going to the manufacturer's website and see if they have an assistance program near your location. If you are in the USA, then yes, they should. I know that the makers of Novolog and Levemir do. The Makers of Epidra do as well, it's a discount card for a certain a mount per month. May be vial forms, but hey it's free.

Also take a look at local community clinics, they may offer services on a sliding scale, same with community hospitals and city hospitals such as Parkland here in my area. Many clinics will have cheap to free testing supplies and pen needles. Same with the medications.

As far as ordering from mexico, be weary. If you have a friend who goes to mexico a lot, you can have them pick it up from the local pharmacy, just make sure it's in a cooler when getting it back. The sad part about mexico though is that with all the cartels going around, it's not worth the risk anymore.

Check out the two three sticky threads in this section of the forums, they really do help!

We order our meds from Canada and have never had problems. We have not ordered insulin, though. I would call them and ask about the way they ship and whether everything is 100% guaranteed. You can also get the older insulins at Walmart without an RX very cheap. They are not perfect but maybe better than nothing. If you dad is disabled I would work with a lawyer to get him Disability Insurance. The Federal Government also has a Pre exhisting condition insurance. Check out Home | HealthCare.gov I would definitely contact the insulin manufacturer and see what programs you are available for. Have you checked out Medicaid to see if your Dad quialifies. If he has no income, I would think he would.

Try that company you've recomended in all your posts. They may also be expert providers of spam

Why dont you stay away from me ok. am not spam! BS

Always re-apply for disability. I think they just automatically say no the first time to see how hard you will fight. I was first denied, but got it the second time around. The more reports, paper records, etc. that you can supply, the better. I've used the program offered by Lilly to get insulin for free.

If your dad is over 65 and T1, he could qualify for an insulin pump through Medicare. They also pay for supplies and insulin when used in a pump under Plan B. Also try Medicaid. Manufacturer's assistance is also a good option. I bought insulin from Canada several years ago. The only problem with it was that they didn't package it adequately to protect from temperature variations. Otherwise, the insulin was fine... exactly the same as what I was buying in the U.S. at twice the cost. I wouldn't buy drugs from Mexico.

Be careful when ordering anything from Mexico or Canada. I've heard and read too many horror stories of how the drugs aren't handled properly and sometimes very weak. My guess is, watered down. It's kind of a pay what you get type thing.

Ask the doctor about using NPH and/or R depending on what he's on. Both of those I believe cost around $40 compared to the average of $110 for Lantus/Novolog/Humalog/etc. They have different profiles and actions, but can still be used. I was on them for 20 years, so obviously they won't hurt.

We have been ordering from Canadian pharmacies for at least 6 years now and have never had any problems. I think if there were horror stories about them the big drug manufacturers would be all over it and shouting " I told you so".

I pay $20 for the exact same insulin that costs me $55 here in the states. Have ordered from Canada for 2 yrs now. It even comes in the exact same box from the same company. I don't understand why there should be such a price differance

Yeah....'cause Canada is a "high risk" country with a horrible reputation for any form of quality control...and the shipping times from say Ontario to Michigan is WAY longer than California to Florida....

Yeah....'cause Canada is a "high risk" country with a horrible reputation for any form of quality control...and the shipping times from say Ontario to Michigan is WAY longer than California to Florida....

I think the problem with some Canadian pharmacies is that they're not actually located in Canada. Two people I know ordered drugs (not insulin) online from "Canadian" pharmacies only to have the medication arrive from India.

I recently got free pharmacy discount cards from a group called Healthcare Alliance because I am about to lose my insurance, too. I haven't used them yet but they may be worth checking into.

well, Duh!! I guess it pays to read everything, doesn't it? Why was it revived in the first place?

Posted · Hidden by Tony, May 22, 2014 - promoting · Report post

Hi all,

It is terrible how much it costs to purchase the necessary medications for diabetes. I too have had trouble paying for them. I found a fairly decent aid though. I contacted a company called Prescription Assistance 123 and spoke with Rich. He has helped me for a very nominal fee. If anyone else needs help, he told me to refer them to him. He can be contacted at 561-325-847. Thanks for all your help and support.

brian1012 likes this

Posted · Hidden by princesslinda, May 29, 2014 - advertising not allowed per forum rules. · Report post

HI, I can definitely sympathize with your situation. I was in the same situation. I got help through a patient assistance program by calling 561-325-8478. Hope this helps.