TeddySue

Are you on a diet to lose weight?

12,773 posts in this topic

So what exercises has everyone done today? This morning i went to the gym and walked/ran 5k on the treadmill. I can't quite run the entire thing so i run for a bit then walk. I also did a couple minutes of weight lifting. I'd like to go for a walk on the bike trail, but if i do it won't be until after supper. The weather is supposed to be in the 90s here and humid.

I'm going weight training and running intervals later. Hoping to run, cause I have microvascular damage on my foot, so every step feels like torture.

In March I started using insulin and made the decision the food AND the out of control diabetes had to be controlled. I went to the classes and didn't learn much so I came here. I eat 30 carbs a day and it totally took my voracious appetite and made me to where I don't even think about food. WHAT a change! I'm sooo hacky. (happy) I bought a nice big Nordick Track treadmill and have yet to fall in love with it; but today, with people holding me accountable, I will begin my fight to overcome my sedentary life. I eat LOW carb and LOW calories to lose weight and just went over to LOSE IT.com and it is WONDERFUL over there for me! I have been writing every bite, every carb, every bit of exercise, and BG numbers down in a notebook. This place shows it all for you. I kinda like the formality that is simple. I've lost 34 pounds and have 118 to go. I gained 100 pounds when my husband left 6 years ago. Sad, huh... Oh well, it's over and I must go on. I have kids counting on me. I have 7 and 5 are home for the summer before going back to college. I have 3 at home all the time: 2/13 year olds. Puberty and senility can get tense. LOL

Let me know what you think of Lose It.com. Thank you! I hope and pray your 10 pounds comes off and stays off. You must be built like my youngest daughter. She weighs 90 pounds soaking wet and can run on that treadmill without dropping a drop of sweat. I walk for 30 minutes and call it good. I'm still not strong after having pneumonia and a blood clot. But I'm still alive and determined to lick this thing one way or another. I am so glad you have joined us.

Later.

TS

I'm sorry about your loss, Teddy, but, as you said, life goes on! And you seem really motivated to do changes in your life. WOW! 12 kids? You have a big family! I admire you. I would go crazy.. haha

I checked the website. Seems pretty cool and helpful :) I use a similar app, but on my phone, and forget to log things sometimes.. Oops!

I'm so happy you started this thread! Today I have a 1 h zumba class, and after that I will probably do weight training.

HAVE FUN @ THE TREADMILL! Let us know how it goes :)

So what exercises has everyone done today? This morning i went to the gym and walked/ran 5k on the treadmill. I can't quite run the entire thing so i run for a bit then walk. I also did a couple minutes of weight lifting. I'd like to go for a walk on the bike trail, but if i do it won't be until after supper. The weather is supposed to be in the 90s here and humid.

WOW! That was sooo encouraging to hear what you are doing. Thanks for posting. I walked one hour on the treadmill on the lowest setting; made it one mile, and burned 157 calories! I am so proud of myself and I have all of you to thank. It's the first time I could do this for 1 hour! ANYTHING counts as exercise; just keep moving. It's been near 100 here in Iowa so we gave in and turned on the central air. I do believe having it cooler in the house helped me to walk longer on the treadmill. Can't wait to hear from others!

TS

I'm sorry about your loss, Teddy, but, as you said, life goes on! And you seem really motivated to do changes in your life. WOW! 12 kids? You have a big family! I admire you. I would go crazy.. haha

I checked the website. Seems pretty cool and helpful :) I use a similar app, but on my phone, and forget to log things sometimes.. Oops!

I'm so happy you started this thread! Today I have a 1 h zumba class, and after that I will probably do weight training.

HAVE FUN @ THE TREADMILL! Let us know how it goes :)

LOL! I have 7 kids and in my old age-way have let you think I had 12 kids! YIKES! Sorry... Having 5 kids home for the summer is like having a trainer and motivator; they are always telling me to WRITE IT DOWN, MOM! I almost died twice in the past 7 months (pneumonia and a blood clot) so there is a lot riding on my weight loss and diabetes control. I'm doing fine now. They had to help me off the couch when I started because I was so obese AND weak from being sick. NOW, I can hop off that couch and walk an hour on the treadmill! I'm sooo hacky!

I did finish one hour, plus one mile, plus burned 157 calories on the treadmill today. It did make my blood sugar go up to 137 but I think it was because I only ate 1 ounce of Mozzarella cheese for breakfast; usually I eat more before exercising. How does exercise affect your BG?

Thanks for the kind words.

Please explain Zumba class and what it means to you. Thanks!

After eating I will do some small 5 pound weights cause that's all my ole bones can stand right now; hope it gets to be MORE. Every little bit counts.

TS

I'm going weight training and running intervals later. Hoping to run, cause I have microvascular damage on my foot, so every step feels like torture.

You GO girl! I don't have microvascular damage but I can empathize with you and the pain. Will it get better? Is exercise part of the therapy? Do you do a set amount of time on each thing? How much time on each? Thank you for this definite encouragement! Keep us posted.

TS

I will be happy to join with you. I need to lose close to 80lbs. 5/9 and last check was 236, down from 244. Had been excercising, walking and doing jogging with wii,

got plantar fasiitis so those are too painful. Swimming 3x week at pool, going to try stationary bike too see if doesn't increase pain. Really need to lower carbs, congrats to all who have already lost so much!

Today was PB sandwhich for Breakfast and Hot dog with bun for lunch. Dinner planning on grilled chicken, salad, and applesauce. Hardest thing for me to give up is my pb sandwhich breakfast, been eating that since I was kid:D This will be about 65 carb day

You GO girl! I don't have microvascular damage but I can empathize with you and the pain. Will it get better? Is exercise part of the therapy? Do you do a set amount of time on each thing? How much time on each? Thank you for this definite encouragement! Keep us posted.

TS

Exercise is not supposed to really make it better, but I'm on aspirin to thin the blood and make the pain more bearable. It is working a little bit each day. The doctor thinks two or three more months of good BGs should allow it to repair itself.

My weight training usually takes around 40m (depending if there is a line for the machines), then I'm gonna try for 30m cardio. I was doing only 15m because until last week, the pain was too bad to try and do more.

I will be happy to join with you. I need to lose close to 80lbs. 5/9 and last check was 236, down from 244. Had been excercising, walking and doing jogging with wii,

got plantar fasiitis so those are too painful. Swimming 3x week at pool, going to try stationary bike too see if doesn't increase pain. Really need to lower carbs, congrats to all who have already lost so much!

Today was PB sandwhich for Breakfast and Hot dog with bun for lunch. Dinner planning on grilled chicken, salad, and applesauce. Hardest thing for me to give up is my pb sandwhich breakfast, been eating that since I was kid:D This will be about 65 carb day

HI! Thanks for joining us! I can truly empathize with you about the peanutbutter sandwich. I found out, after going through withdrawal (really) that going low carb has decreased my appetite 75%. No lie. I KNOW the pain of giving up things that we do love, but I'm here to tell you it does get better. GOOD for you for losing weight! It starts somewhere and we are in control of that; control is not just important for BG, but for our mental well-being, too.

I have 118 pounds to go, but each day I find that I am feeling better, and if I feel better then I can cope with all the other stuff better.

I'm so sorry you are in pain with your feet. Just remember, there are more ways to exercise and YOU can do it! It's for YOU and you can win.

Lowering carbs is fascinating! I never knew there was a way to curb my voracious appetite and lose weight WHILE helping my diabetes. I'm amazed and humbled that I have stumbled into this place and found so much information from so many kind people. I'm happy you are joining us.

Read the posts/threads on low carbing. Use your meter to find out what your body will accept without going high. TEST! Eliminate the things that make you BG go high. I had to get rid of bread, potatoes, sweets, etc. But everyone is different and others can eat things I can't. I bought some Special K with protein because someone said it might be a cereal my meter likes. I dearly miss a bowl of cereal. Haven't tried it yet, but I will.

I do 30 carbs a day, but I worked down to it. I love what low carbing does for me.

I stopped the Glipizide and am on only insulin. Let us know what you are doing and the meds you are taking. There is a wealth of knowledge here.. WELCOME!

TS

Exercise is not supposed to really make it better, but I'm on aspirin to thin the blood and make the pain more bearable. It is working a little bit each day. The doctor thinks two or three more months of good BGs should allow it to repair itself.

My weight training usually takes around 40m (depending if there is a line for the machines), then I'm gonna try for 30m cardio. I was doing only 15m because until last week, the pain was too bad to try and do more.

I admire people who persevere! I take blood thinners (Coumadin)every day because I had a blood clot and pneumonia. I pray you heal quickly.

Remember, everything counts! KEEP moving! You would laugh if you saw me on the couch lifting dumb-bells. Thanks for the words.

TS

Well, after walking the treadmill for one hour, my BG went from 116 to 157 and I'm bummed. It is going down, but I'm not sure what to do, if anything. I want to get back on that treadmill and do another hour this afternoon. I guess I'll eat first? Or should I just walk at that BG and see if it goes higher or lower? Woe is me... JK

TS

Hi and thanks for encouragement everyone.

As for BG going up after exercising it used to happen to me too. My diabetes educator said to eat first because without some food liver was dumping glucose to supply energy. It did work because I was exercising first thing in morning before eating. Now with swimming I have to be careful about going low, so I make sure I eat first and it stays pretty steady. I did just make some no carb gummi candy, its yummy and no cal. I do need to check out low carbing because everyones weight loss is so impressive. Do you still watch calories with that, and what about fat intake?

Way to go on getting on the treadmill Teddy Sue!!!

Hi and thanks for encouragement everyone.

As for BG going up after exercising it used to happen to me too. My diabetes educator said to eat first because without some food liver was dumping glucose to supply energy. It did work because I was exercising first thing in morning before eating. Now with swimming I have to be careful about going low, so I make sure I eat first and it stays pretty steady. I did just make some no carb gummi candy, its yummy and no cal. I do need to check out low carbing because everyones weight loss is so impressive. Do you still watch calories with that, and what about fat intake?

Way to go on getting on the treadmill Teddy Sue!!!

HI! Guess what? I just got on the treadmill for half an hour and my BG went down to 107! I am truly hacky about this! I didn't eat enough, before walking the first time, just like you said! YAY!

Yes, I do watch calories because, for me, that's how I lose weight. Started out on 1000 calories and yesterday I did what was suggested and ate 1200 calories to fool my body NOT to think I was starving (and hold back the pounds). I've learned soooo much on this forum. And fat, I guess I'm scared of fat, so with the low carbs and low calories takes care of most fats. But once in a while I do eat fats and it never hurt me at all.

Please be careful that you do not go low... low is a horrible place to be.

Would you mind telling us your recipe for no carb gummy worms? My son loves to make things and this would be great for the whole family. Thank you!

WOW, just think, I did something right. It feels so good to figure things out.

WAY TO GO on swimming! Where there is a will, there is a way.

TS

Thank you for the encouragement, TeddySue!

I went to the gym at exactly 140 BG. Worked out for 1h15m, got my running, broke a sweat for the first time since diagnosis! It is the least depressed I've felt in 3 months, it was amazing.

Left the gym at 86 BG, so just high enough to drive safely (I eat candy if I'm under 80 and gotta drive).

TeddySue, I posted the gummi worms recipe in another thread here, so I'll link you. It is very easy.

Sugar Free Gummy Bears Recipe

jbmacomber had the idea to add 1 packet Crystal Light to the recipe though, for extra flavor - I rec that, cause when you use flavored gelatin that is not super flavorful (almost too sweet to eat if prepared as the box says), it turns out a little flavorless.

Thank you for the encouragement, TeddySue!

I went to the gym at exactly 140 BG. Worked out for 1h15m, got my running, broke a sweat for the first time since diagnosis! It is the least depressed I've felt in 3 months, it was amazing.

Left the gym at 86 BG, so just high enough to drive safely (I eat candy if I'm under 80 and gotta drive).

TeddySue, I posted the gummi worms recipe in another thread here, so I'll link you. It is very easy.

Sugar Free Gummy Bears Recipe

jbmacomber had the idea to add 1 packet Crystal Light to the recipe though, for extra flavor - I rec that, cause when you use flavored gelatin that is not super flavorful (almost too sweet to eat if prepared as the box says), it turns out a little flavorless.

I'm so glad to hear about your exercise and BG staying GOOD! YAY! Isn't it comforting when this happens? The obsessive in me wants this all the time, but I'm learning that diabetes is not an exact condition where we do step one, two and three and we get good results. We do the steps and then be prepared to modify something if need be. Oh well, we're getting there. It is so good to hear that the depression was helped, too. I do understand depression and how it can rule your life.. ruled mine for a long time; just recently I seem to have a break through (enough years have past?) and have found a reason to go on. I pray your depression will subside and leave; that you will continue to find peace.

86??? Wow!

TS

Well i didn't walk on the bike trail. Instead my daughters Emely, Catie and I got in the pool. I swam around a bit then walk and ran in the water (lots of resistance). I just kept moving for about 30 minutes.

Well i didn't walk on the bike trail. Instead my daughters Emely, Catie and I got in the pool. I swam around a bit then walk and ran in the water (lots of resistance). I just kept moving for about 30 minutes.

YEP! Just keep moving; it all counts! Just remember, you are making memories with those two daughters and that counts, too. I have two daughters, also: 13 and 21. They are the best of friends and it does my heart good to see them together. I'm an older mom and I worry about leaving them before they are ready to face the world alone. We are a very close family...

Thanks for posting!

TS

so encouraging to hear all the exercising that got done today, yay for all of us. Thanks for posting the gummi bear recipe. I just poured it into glass pan and then cut in cubes. Also next tiem I will cut to 1/2 pack of crystal light.

Glad to hear improvement in depression Jan74br, I know how that is.

LOL! I have 7 kids and in my old age-way have let you think I had 12 kids! YIKES! Sorry... Having 5 kids home for the summer is like having a trainer and motivator; they are always telling me to WRITE IT DOWN, MOM! I almost died twice in the past 7 months (pneumonia and a blood clot) so there is a lot riding on my weight loss and diabetes control. I'm doing fine now. They had to help me off the couch when I started because I was so obese AND weak from being sick. NOW, I can hop off that couch and walk an hour on the treadmill! I'm sooo hacky!

I did finish one hour, plus one mile, plus burned 157 calories on the treadmill today. It did make my blood sugar go up to 137 but I think it was because I only ate 1 ounce of Mozzarella cheese for breakfast; usually I eat more before exercising. How does exercise affect your BG?

Thanks for the kind words.

Please explain Zumba class and what it means to you. Thanks!

After eating I will do some small 5 pound weights cause that's all my ole bones can stand right now; hope it gets to be MORE. Every little bit counts.

TS

Wow, Teddy! You are a survivor! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling good enough to exercise and keep those numbers down. Baby steps..You will get there, I'm sure.

Zumba is a mix of different latin dances and aerobic steps. For me, since I'm a latin girl (i'm peruvian) it's the perfect workout!! I always end up exhausted, but feeling GREAT! :) Today I needed 40 more g carbs to get me through the workout. sigh. Tested and found no ketones....We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I hope you hit the treadmill tomorrow! Keep us posted :)

Wow, Teddy! You are a survivor! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling good enough to exercise and keep those numbers down. Baby steps..You will get there, I'm sure.

Zumba is a mix of different latin dances and aerobic steps. For me, since I'm a latin girl (i'm peruvian) it's the perfect workout!! I always end up exhausted, but feeling GREAT! :) Today I needed 40 more g carbs to get me through the workout. sigh. Tested and found no ketones....We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I hope you hit the treadmill tomorrow! Keep us posted :)

HI! I have friends who do Norwegian dancing each week and say the same thing; it's good exercise! I have one adopted son from Guatemala; three from Korea, and three from Vietnam. Needless to say we are in to cultural customs, too. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Woke up to a 120BG so need to eat a substantial, non-carb breakfast and then hit the treadmill. My son said, "Mom, Google low carb breakfast."

Thanks for the support! Have a good one and remember to KEEP MOVING!

TS

My low carb breakfast suggestions are: eggs, of course - but you can make an omelet with veggies in it, some cheese, to make it not just boring eggs.

If you like pancakes, you can make pancakes using golden flaxseed flour instead of real flour. You don't even need milk, just an egg, the flaxseed flour, and sweetener. It turns out pretty good.

so encouraging to hear all the exercising that got done today, yay for all of us. Thanks for posting the gummi bear recipe. I just poured it into glass pan and then cut in cubes. Also next tiem I will cut to 1/2 pack of crystal light.

Glad to hear improvement in depression Jan74br, I know how that is.

I know, isn't it great! Keep moving everyone! Today is our day for gummi bears, too, plus the tip on the Crystal Light will help.

My wonderful oldest son is fixing me a microwave omelet for breakfast; he just got off work at 7am. He comes home for the summer from college (24) and works all summer. He is taking Chemistry and this will be his 5th year of college.

It's hot in Iowa but nice and cool in the house; the boys are paying for the AC this summer. I feel so blessed to have kind children.

Jan 74br: I'm praying for you and the depression that's gotta go.

Have a good day and remember to KEEP MOVING! LOL

TS

My low carb breakfast suggestions are: eggs, of course - but you can make an omelet with veggies in it, some cheese, to make it not just boring eggs.

If you like pancakes, you can make pancakes using golden flaxseed flour instead of real flour. You don't even need milk, just an egg, the flaxseed flour, and sweetener. It turns out pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestion! My son is making me an omelet with asparagus and onion. Wish I had some salsa; gotta get some. Good idea.

I have the flaxseed flour and almond flour so will experiment tomorrow morning. Does it taste kinda like the one minute muffin? Love the muffin but am too obsessive with limiting my calories so only do that twice a month.

How are you feeling today? I hope this is a good day for everyone. Thanks for the support which means a lot to me.

TS

Thanks for the suggestion! My son is making me an omelet with asparagus and onion. Wish I had some salsa; gotta get some. Good idea.

I have the flaxseed flour and almond flour so will experiment tomorrow morning. Does it taste kinda like the one minute muffin? Love the muffin but am too obsessive with limiting my calories so only do that twice a month.

How are you feeling today? I hope this is a good day for everyone. Thanks for the support which means a lot to me.

TS

It tastes like a normal pancake, but if you add some sf syrup over it, it is delicious.