TeddySue

Are you on a diet to lose weight?

13,215 posts in this topic

It's about 25 g carbs (net carbs, using coconut milk) and 66g total carbs. Very high in fiber!! I don't know if Almond milk would work. I like coconut milk better! Better taste and less carbs too :)

Oh, in the recipe says: serve with honey.. oh do NOT do that!! LOL. :)

My Almond milk is unsweetened, 35 calories for 8 ounces, and 0 carbs. And it is delicious with some sweetener.

Thanks for the info.

TS

AAcckkk! Had post going and went to look back and lost it all! But, wow, everyone is doing so good with exercising, not my favorite thing at all so you are all an encouragement!. I hate to sweat. lol. Today swam 16 laps in pool, got 6 in before had to walk lap to catch breath. But I started at 4 laps 2 weeks ago and had 2 walk pool 2x to catch breath so it's improving.

Great News, todays visit with Endo and my A1c was 6.1, down from 7.4 in Feb. Lost total of 3 lbs according to them since starting insulin, need to work harder.

And last but not least, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with 13 year old and same issues:D

I changed plans. I'm not going to the gym today. I'm having such a good day bg wise and I don't want to spoil it!! haha. I need to be at least at 130 to start working out. I promise tomorrow I will have a good workout :)

AAcckkk! Had post going and went to look back and lost it all! But, wow, everyone is doing so good with exercising, not my favorite thing at all so you are all an encouragement!. I hate to sweat. lol. Today swam 16 laps in pool, got 6 in before had to walk lap to catch breath. But I started at 4 laps 2 weeks ago and had 2 walk pool 2x to catch breath so it's improving.

Great News, todays visit with Endo and my A1c was 6.1, down from 7.4 in Feb. Lost total of 3 lbs according to them since starting insulin, need to work harder.

And last but not least, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with 13 year old and same issues:D

GREAT news! I hope mine, next month will do the same thing. And I HATE to sweat, too. I turn the treadmill on and the built in fan on high, which is wonderful.

I have a boy and girl who are 13... the girl's puberty is okay, but the boy's is HORRID! He acts as if I am dirt and I hate that! UGH! You'd think I would be used to this having raised 7 kids, but since they are my youngest I guess I'm just too old to be patient. LOL

Do you have a home pool? WOW! And 3 pounds is GOOD! You worked hard and I'll bet they are all a loss of fat! YEP! Love to hear this kind of news.

TS

I changed plans. I'm not going to the gym today. I'm having such a good day bg wise and I don't want to spoil it!! haha. I need to be at least at 130 to start working out. I promise tomorrow I will have a good workout :)

I don't blame you! When I get good numbers I just want to bask in the happiness (for as long as it lasts). Here's to tomorrow and more good numbers! YAY!

TS

You're a braver mom than I am! Good for you both. I'm sure there were a lot of benefits to the sweating; clean those pores out! LOL At least you were faithful to your exercise. Good for you!

TS

ha Ha I told my mom i was sweating the fat off LOL!

Well, it's starting out to be a GOOD day! I retired the meter that doesn't work right and went back to the new FreeStyle Lite. Less stress. How many of you find it very stressful when your numbers aren't "good enough?" I think we all have a set notion of what we want our numbers to be, and when it's not, IT'S STRESSFUL! It ruins my whole day, even knowing that stress makes it worse. UGH!

Now, think about a weight gain when you have NOT cheated AND have exercised three times a day... YEP! I gained 3 pounds. sooo sad. But, I'm wondering, because I usually weigh only once a week and this was 3 days. Ya, I don't even listen to myself when I know I'm right. STRESS!

The only difference was I added a day of 1200 to try to fool my body but it Still THINKS I'm starving. My son says it's because of more exercise and I'm building muscles. Ya, right...

Well, anyway, I won't give up! I will persevere!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

TS

I just got a FreeStyle Lite, Sue. I'm gonna switch to it today as I only have 2 OneTouch strips left.

It is so cute!

When you just start exercising, your muscles retain water. It is normal to see "weight gain" in the first 2-3 weeks of exercise, but it will go away. Don't stress about it. Your son is right. It is not "building muscles" in the Aaaahnold sense, but it is still building muscle - your body goes "Uh oh, she is starting to use us muscles now! Quick, hold on to some water so we don't get tired too quickly!"

As for the constipation, I'd rec psyllium (Metamucil). When I was on low carb, I depended on the stuff! Luckily for me now, metformin keeps me busy in the toilet, haha.

As for the constipation, I'd rec psyllium (Metamucil). When I was on low carb, I depended on the stuff! Luckily for me now, metformin keeps me busy in the toilet, haha.

LUCKY YOU! LOL But I know that is no fun, either. I remember the suppressed appitite with metformin but not the other... hmmm... must be getting old. Do you think insulin can cause constipation? I eat veggies and some fruit and protein, but maybe the carbs I quit were the ones for that function. I wish there was a perfect food so I didn't have to always being figuring out what I'm going to eat. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.

TS

I don't think it is insulin, I think it is the extra protein of a low carb diet, to be honest. Cause I'd chew on so many green veggies while on low carb (and that was pre-D, so no insulin), and I still wouldn't go without metamucil. Now I eat less green veggies than I did then, and even before the metformin, I still went.

I don't think it is insulin, I think it is the extra protein of a low carb diet, to be honest. Cause I'd chew on so many green veggies while on low carb (and that was pre-D, so no insulin), and I still wouldn't go without metamucil. Now I eat less green veggies than I did then, and even before the metformin, I still went.

How much meat/protein do you think is acceptable for a day? Maybe acceptable isn't the right word here... I eat 6 ounces of meat a day.

I drink LOTS of water, too.

TS

How much meat/protein do you think is acceptable for a day? Maybe acceptable isn't the right word here... I eat 6 ounces of meat a day.

I drink LOTS of water, too.

TS

That is not a lot of meat. I think your glucose meter tells you what is acceptable - if you starting eating 12oz in one sitting, you'll probably get higher BGs than what you are getting right now, and then you'll know to scale back a little.

That is not a lot of meat. I think your glucose meter tells you what is acceptable - if you starting eating 12oz in one sitting, you'll probably get higher BGs than what you are getting right now, and then you'll know to scale back a little.

That makes sense. I'll be spreading the ounces around a bit. I think my glucose meter has a mind of its own sometimes and likes a change.

THANK YOU!

TS

Jan, your metformin comment made me LOL, haha. It made me remember my days on Metformin... Oh, not fun!!

TeddySue, as Jan suggested, you should try Metamucil. I've heard it helps a lot. My sister is going to start taking it, she has the same issue as you.

So, what are you guys doing today? Treadmill? Gym? Pool??

I'm with your son and others TeddySue, you do gain some "weight" when you start building muscle, but it's not fat. And the more muscle you have the more calories you burn even resting. Hang in there!!!

Go to podiatrist Monday to have foot checked out.

Yes, I went through it before with my 28 year old, but with 15 years between time dulls the pain, lol! Mine is in the stage where it is sooo embarrassing to actually have anyone think he has parents, and we get the big martyred sighs whenever he has to do chores, cause all he does is work, sigh..... (he has maybe an hour total if that a day) it;s funny now writing it while he is asleep but can get so annoying.

No, I don't have a pool so have been going to rec center and dragging my son along. It is more than our budget can handle long term so that's why I am breaking down and going to Dr. for foot. Wish we did, because I enjoy swimming more than any thing else I've done, but walking is good too.

Enjoy your rest those taking day off! Keep up the good work!!!

Good morning everyone!! I started my metformin and metanx last night. No bowel problems at all thus far. I'm on the XR version of metformin and it's supposed to relieve all the bowel side effects. The metanx has a wonderful drowsy side effect!! I can not tell you the last time I slept all night...I normally get up and pee at least 3 times a night....I slept ALLLLLL night last night. It was glorious!! I woke up so refreshed!!

Teddy...I know what you mean about the perfect food. I am having a really difficult time here. My body composition panel showed that I normally eat 1600 calories a day (even though I only eat 30 carbs or less a day). And my Dr. wants me to decrease to 1300 calories a day and increase my carbs to 20 carbs a meal. So far, not so good. I had 1065 calories on tuesday and 828 calories yesterday. I eat...really I do...but am gonna put myself into starvation mode! I felt horrible those 2 days. Think I will stick with what I know and just get rid of the cream in my coffee....that will be 300 calories easy and maybe even stick with my low carb...although that hasn't helped me lose any weight in a year.....and my body fat is 46%....horrible!!

Did not exercise yesterday as it was my rest day, but back on the bike today! Think I will go to the park and ride around the big track 2x. I think it's a 3 mile track. I am overcoming doing things in public. I don't like people to watch me....but I just keep telling myself...gotta start somewhere and any motion is better than being on the couch!! Plus, I just love being outside! The more I ride my bike (2 months now), the more I enjoy it and build up my endurance. I think I might have actually started to enjoy the sweat which I used to dispise! It's not a challenge to see if I worked out enough and pushed hard enough to break a sweat. And it always feels so good afterwards!! Gotta love the endorphins!

Jan, your metformin comment made me LOL, haha. It made me remember my days on Metformin... Oh, not fun!!

TeddySue, as Jan suggested, you should try Metamucil. I've heard it helps a lot. My sister is going to start taking it, she has the same issue as you.

So, what are you guys doing today? Treadmill? Gym? Pool??

Metamucil it is! Thanks!

I walked 45 minutes on the treadmill today and I am SOOOO hacky about that! I will do it again before bedtime. I've upped the walks from 30 minutes to 45!

I also went reading about Paleo dieting on a website with a guy that is the warrior (that's what I remember so I need to bookmark that page). Had to sent my second son to the store today to get spinach, coconut oil, asparagus. I'm getting things in a list that are tried and true so I can get organized.

My meter likes the low calorie/low carb diet; for me it's finally coming together. BIG smile on my face.

TS

I'm with your son and others TeddySue, you do gain some "weight" when you start building muscle, but it's not fat. And the more muscle you have the more calories you burn even resting. Hang in there!!!

Go to podiatrist Monday to have foot checked out.

Yes, I went through it before with my 28 year old, but with 15 years between time dulls the pain, lol! Mine is in the stage where it is sooo embarrassing to actually have anyone think he has parents, and we get the big martyred sighs whenever he has to do chores, cause all he does is work, sigh..... (he has maybe an hour total if that a day) it;s funny now writing it while he is asleep but can get so annoying.

No, I don't have a pool so have been going to rec center and dragging my son along. It is more than our budget can handle long term so that's why I am breaking down and going to Dr. for foot. Wish we did, because I enjoy swimming more than any thing else I've done, but walking is good too.

Enjoy your rest those taking day off! Keep up the good work!!!

I want to hear about your foot so please keep posting. Are you alarmed it may be affected by your diabetes? One thing about walking, it can be free. LOL I used to swim when I was younger and it helped all parts of my body.

I keep walking on that treadmill and thank God for it because I'm so lazy I would not have gone to the Gym.

OH! I do know exactly the looks and grunts you are receiving! I'm to the place where if he wants to stay in his room or sleep then I let him... the girls and I look at each other and smile cause we don't have to put up with his puberty incited rudeness for awhile. UGH! BUT, just now, my 13 year old daughter went through the groaning and moaning because she had to carry a laundry basket of dirty clothes to the basement. I asked her if she wanted to clean the bathroom, too. She didn't... LOL

Thanks for the update.

TS

Teddy...I know what you mean about the perfect food. I am having a really difficult time here. My body composition panel showed that I normally eat 1600 calories a day (even though I only eat 30 carbs or less a day). And my Dr. wants me to decrease to 1300 calories a day and increase my carbs to 20 carbs a meal. So far, not so good. I had 1065 calories on tuesday and 828 calories yesterday. I eat...really I do...but am gonna put myself into starvation mode! I felt horrible those 2 days. Think I will stick with what I know and just get rid of the cream in my coffee....that will be 300 calories easy and maybe even stick with my low carb...although that hasn't helped me lose any weight in a year.....and my body fat is 46%....horrible!!

Did not exercise yesterday as it was my rest day, but back on the bike today! Think I will go to the park and ride around the big track 2x. I think it's a 3 mile track. I am overcoming doing things in public. I don't like people to watch me....but I just keep telling myself...gotta start somewhere and any motion is better than being on the couch!! Plus, I just love being outside! The more I ride my bike (2 months now), the more I enjoy it and build up my endurance. I think I might have actually started to enjoy the sweat which I used to dispise! It's not a challenge to see if I worked out enough and pushed hard enough to break a sweat. And it always feels so good afterwards!! Gotta love the endorphins!

I'm truly glad to hear about your pooper and the good night's sleep! At my age I can't afford to hold back words.

Okay, about the starvation mode. I thought I had done that to myself but I didn't. Read up on Ketosis and see if that helps you see where you need to be. It's a trial by error but I, and many others truly believe in the low carb business. At first, for the first month I thought I was going to die with the withdrawal of carbs; BUT after that I was blessed with no appetite and I've heard others say the same thing. Everyone is different and requires more different amounts of calories; their bodies accept different amounts of carbs. I do want to encourage you to keep on; there is bound to be a breakthrough. Are you sure you are truly low-carbing? I was so surprised at how many carbs are in "diet" food; what you think may be good for you, may turn out to be full of carbs. Read every label to get the info into your brain. I'm sure you are.

I am so pleased to hear of your bike riding; that would kill my crotch (sorry) and I wouldn't last 5 minutes. We all have what suits us best, we just need to do it. Good for YOU! And I'm with you on not wanting people to look at me. I'm a recluse, only doing what I have to do. Thank you for the encouragement to get out here.

I guess I agree with the 1300 calories, even if you just want a jump-start. I can't lose weight above 1000 calories; if I were more active I probably could. I'm basically just experimenting to see what works for me. I am so sorry you feel down about the whole thing. Maybe if you pick one thing to concentrate on, to make yourself healthier, it wouldn't be so overwhelming. I get overwhelmed, too and it's not fun.

IMO the bike riding for two months is a BIG step forward. I am so proud of you. Keep going!

TS

I walked twice today: 45 minutes and 30 minutes. I deleted fruit from my diet. My BG was excellent today and I hope everyone else' was too. Did anyone learn something new today they can share? Thanks.

TS

I just found this thread. I am always trying to lose weight and have lost 25 pounds in the last 18 months.

My major goal, however, is to get my BG's under control.

The doctor took me off of glimiperide and the results are not what I was hoping for. My numbers have gone

up about 20 to 30 points.

I am doing low carb, but fear I must delete some things from my diet to get even lower carbs. I have cut out

the wheat products I was eating, but they were high in fiber and we will see what that does.

I do eat fruit at 2 meals a day, in small quantities.

My exercise is the Curves circuit. It involves aerobics and strength training. No weights, although they are

available to use.

I am at a stand still with my weight and very frustrated. I still want to lose another 40 lbs.

Oh, I am 65 in case any of you want to know.

Jane

I just found this thread. I am always trying to lose weight and have lost 25 pounds in the last 18 months.

The doctor took me off of glimiperide and the results are not what I was hoping for. My numbers have gone

I am doing low carb, but fear I must delete some things from my diet to get even lower carbs. I have cut out

the wheat products I was eating, but they were high in fiber and we will see what that does.

My exercise is the Curves circuit. It involves aerobics and strength training. No weights, although they are

available to use.

I am at a stand still with my weight and very frustrated. I still want to lose another 40 lbs.

Jane

HI, Jane! I am 62 and not far behind you. I'm so glad you found us here. I know what it's like to hit that place where the weight just holds on with both hands and won't let go. UGH! But I'm here to tell you this IS doable.

I was wondering if you have read a lot here at DF? I know you are low carbing; most of us are, and most of us had to rethink our definition of low carbing. For me, I am having to give up fruit altogether until I've been stabilized (BG) for a few months and then, by trial and error add small amounts of fruit... Maybe. Blueberries and unsweetened raspberries are two that some have been able to handle.

How often do you test? At first we need to test very often to see what the meter will allow us to eat, or not. I am on Insulin only, after taking myself off Glipizide twice a day. I have been able, with very low carbing, lower my numbers and my insulin. Exercise is very important, too.

Your weight loss is wonderful! You are doing something right. To get your numbers down you need to get serious with the carbs; you will be amazed at the results and that will be a big incentive for you to continue. It sure was for me. Low carbs and exercise, plus testing to see what you need to eliminate from your diet. Read, read, read. You definitely WILL learn something new every day.

Read through the forum to get an idea of what is working and start including it into your life. Others will be along to add much more than what I can. But, you definitely have come to the right place.

TS

I believe that good control of BG can do more than just for diabetes. All the things I've done, like low carb, exercise, lose weight, etc. have had a big influence on how I feel. I have spent decades with vertigo, which had begun to rule my life, but just today, it has left and I'm amazed at how good it feels to be without constant pain. My appetite has come under my control for the first time in even more decades; not just for a while, but for the past 3 months. I have no more side-effects from the pneumonia and blood clot. I can WALK! With the low carbs came the lowering of BG and weight loss. With the exercise I've learned I am NOT handicapped. And then the vertigo just disappearing after all these years after being hit by a car at age 12... MY, I am truly blessed!

TS

available to use.

Jane

There are lots of things you can eat to keep your fiber intake up but keep your sugars from spiking. I've become a big fan of avacados since my diagnosis. They have about 20g of carb but 18-19 of that is fiber. Others have success with flax seed.

There is no reason you can not jump start your weight loss and get your sugar under control, but you need two key pieces of information.

The first thing you need to know is how much energy (calories) your body needs just to operate, your basal metabolic rate. Everyone is different, but there are good rule of thumb ways to estimate what that number is. This web site will help you out. You just need your age/sex/height/weight BMR Calculator

The second thing you need to know is how many calories you are eating per day. You can't guess, you can't estimate, you need to know. The only way to accurately track your calories is to read nutrition labels, measure your food, and write it all down. There are lots of web sites out there that can help you log your food. Many of them are free.

The rest is easy, just eat 200-500 calories a day less then your basal metabolic rate. Do this *every day*. You'll see results. You body can not beat the laws of physics. If your body uses more energy then it takes in then it will be forced to use its own energy stores (fat).

Dave- thanks for the info. I will check out the website.

Teddy- I test quite often. I have been on the boards awhile and got inspiration from everyone here.

I was inspired to go low carb. I cut out fruit to begin with, and gradually added it in. When I was

taking the glimiperide it was no problem. My A1C in May was 5.4. So, I know getting off the med

has everything to do with my BG's rising.

Getting rid of the wheat may be a key, down a pound in two days.

I also need to increase my activity. I tend to be very sedentary.

It's hard to change at this age, but I am determined to stay on track.