TeddySue

Are you on a diet to lose weight?

12,452 posts in this topic

so sorry to hear aboutt he food poisoning!!!!!!! ugh!

java you are a inspiration

we dont have trader joes here but i breifly saw on youtube some thing that was trader joe's brand water with electrolites. might be worth looking into if you have one. i wish we had trader joes-their stuff sounds great.

i'm down 1 pd although that doesnt mean much. still havent been to the vending machine so that is a win for me

macksvicky, Della Street, Java and 3 others like this

mod, so sorry about the food poisoning!  hope it passes soon for you

thank you, oriana

today i had to struggle for my 1.25 mile swim;  no idea why but i felt like i was swimming through mud and when i got out i was dizzy;  that hasn't happened in a long time

ran23, janice21475, macksvicky and 3 others like this

4 hours ago, modcarb said:

The biggest problem is that we all treat our diabetes differently and that makes it hard for a lot of people

to understand.  They see on TV or read about how someone treats their diabetes and think that is the only

way that works.  It is hard to understand that it doesn't work for everyone.  Be patient and know they love you

and want what's best for you. 

This is so true & yet I feel as if Ive become a judge of a friend & deeply regret opening my mouth again.

I recommended df or any forum to her a few years ago when she said her nutritionist supported her carb intake.

This time i butted in when she told me her endo was pleased with her A1c at 7.4  and that it was 9.4 at Dx.

I'm beginning to hate d professionals. 

I'm glad salad weather is here & hope that might help me lose weight...plus extra activity . I dont do as much in winter. 

janice21475, modcarb, meyery2k and 3 others like this

did 20 min on the bike feel good. apt is a oven but i made it!

adiatum i understand. i told you guys about that woman that was diagnosed at a1c around 22 and didnt want to change. she got it down to 10 but was still eating sugar/whatever. i told her about bernstein and low carb but didnt want to hear it. i take the side effects of this disease very seriously and dont understand when other people brush them off. not much you can do tho. i wasnt judging her tho just trying to help

macksvicky, Java, janice21475 and 3 others like this

yay on the exercise, oriana!!  keep it up, girl!

i've read about the HIIT workouts ~ high intensity interval training ~ basically you do 1 min at really strong/hard intensity then slow down for 2-3 mins to recoup and amp it up again, and so on ~ you can do that with any exercise you prefer and it is supposed to really torch the fat

my shoulder is still hurting me from last week ~ what gives??   i'm undecided about how today will proceed ~ i have business work that needs to be tackled ~ i'm not the best at time management ~ i guess if i go to the gym, i can work this evening to make up for the time lost

weight showed a small decrease this morning

i bought a measuring tape but i've not measured anything yet

modcarb, meyery2k, janice21475 and 2 others like this

I am still new to D, so still trying to learn various points of view to see how others handle the condition -- so for those of you who have significant lows, would you tend to treat yourself aggressively or conservatively?  What I mean is if you were to suddenly find yourself at a number that you felt was completely inappropriate (say 40-60), would you aggressively (full size candy bar or 16 oz juice) treat or conservatively treat (several M&Ms or 4 oz juice).

It is my understanding that trying to keep sugar levels like a train (as opposed to a roller coaster) is the ultimate goal.  But does there come a time (BG in 40s) where you just immediately send it high to get away from the low? 

macksvicky and modcarb like this

i've never been below 60

i know that those diabetic sugar tabs will raise my BG 10 points per tab, or so, so i'd prob just eat a couple of those if i ever were to need to raise it up a bit

i know @Hammer goes pretty low at times but i can't remember how he treats it

Edited by Java
macksvicky, modcarb, Della Street and 1 other like this

java when i used to watch female bodybuilders on youtube they all did the hilt so it must be good

macksvicky, Della Street and Java like this

I get really loopy under 60, it usually happens when , I miss judge my carb intake for a run. 

It is much more serious if you are lowering that number with insulin or other medication, because you may continue on a downward trend.

that said in my opinion I would never try to correct a significant low with candy bars or m&m's

they do contain carbs but also a considerable amount of fat which can slow they effects of carbs. 

Correction requieres fast acting carbs like OJ, apple juice, glucose tablet or jells specifically design for correcting lows. 

My my last run i screwed up and dropped to 62.  I used Cliif Blocks (for me They don't cause awful spikes)  so I stopped running and ate two peices (8 carbs each total 16 carbs) when I finished the run I was at 70 so I ate one more peice, 8 carbs and eventually peaked at about 120. 

The glucose tablets are 4 carbs each so I would have eaten 4 to 6

personally the tabs are chalky and a choking  hazard if you a bit loopy. 

Taste awful too. My target is to avoid lows by consuming small amount of carbs 

if I feel my self going low. 

If that helps

Della Street, macksvicky and meyery2k like this

Della,

Food such as m&ms will not treat a low fast enough to help.

It takes time for your stomach to digest them and that is time you don't really have.

When I dropped to 50 before I had to do a long drive, I drank 2 EmergenCs which totaled 16g carbs.

An hour later I was up to 75 and felt safe to drive.  I dropped low again on the road so stopped

and got a regular cherry coke.  I drank 3 swallows and felt better. 

If you are having a problem with lows I would suggest keeping small juice drinks available.

Liquids get into your bloodstream much quicker than solid foods.

janice21475, Della Street, Fraser and 3 others like this

Tired today but I feel better---if you don't count being extremely tired.

I kept a banana and 2 slices of dry toast down yesterday so that helped.

Good news?  I am down to 283.8 but not sure it will hold when I finally eat.

Della Street, meyery2k, macksvicky and 1 other like this

my hubster & i got food poisoning or some such horror several years ago at a football game ~ it hit him on the way home and hit me around midnight ~ i lost 8# that night ~ it.was.terrible.

hope today you get some much needed rest, miss mod 

macksvicky, janice21475, ran23 and 3 others like this

Thanks Java.

What didn't help is that on Wednesday I didn't take any of my meds as they wouldn't have stayed down.

So yesterday afternoon I had an A Fib episode also.  Doubled my med and came out of it but

they also leave me extremely tired for a while. 

No d meds, no thyroid no nothing on Wednesday. 

janice21475, meyery2k, TX_Clint and 3 others like this

weight was 283.4 so down 11# since starting the low sodium plan.

Fasting was 75 so the BRAT didn't hurt.  Course it was mostly dry toast.

Starting back eating today so hope the weight loss will stay.

adiantum, Della Street, janice21475 and 3 others like this

On 8/11/2017 at 9:09 AM, Della Street said:

I am still new to D, so still trying to learn various points of view to see how others handle the condition -- so for those of you who have significant lows, would you tend to treat yourself aggressively or conservatively?  What I mean is if you were to suddenly find yourself at a number that you felt was completely inappropriate (say 40-60), would you aggressively (full size candy bar or 16 oz juice) treat or conservatively treat (several M&Ms or 4 oz juice).

It is my understanding that trying to keep sugar levels like a train (as opposed to a roller coaster) is the ultimate goal.  But does there come a time (BG in 40s) where you just immediately send it high to get away from the low? 

It used to be that when I went walking in the mornings my BG would go up about 10 points, lifting weights at the gym would make it go down 15 to 20 points. Now even walking will make it go down. I don't usually treat anything above 60. I think the lowest I ever hit was 42 one evening after the gym...sooo bad of a feeling but I keep sweet tarts everywhere, work, living room, bedroom, purse. Each one is 1 carb so I eat enough 5-10 depending on the number so I don't rocket high... severe ups and downs is no good. You just need to find what works for your body and the circumstances of what you're doing and then be prepared for what you thought was how your body reacts, changes! Aint D fun!? 

modcarb, Della Street, janice21475 and 2 others like this

that's an awesome loss, mod!!  keep it up, girlie!

my shoulder is bothering me and it just dawned on me that i won't be able to start lifting until it heals  *grumbles*

scales showed a loss today so i like that

janice21475, modcarb, Della Street and 2 others like this

Weight neutral this week.

Starting to prove to the naysayers, and myself, that I can keep that weight off if I work at it.

modcarb, janice21475, Kit and 4 others like this

just finished a 1.5 mile swim

feel really sick to my stomach

i have been putting a scoop of the green vibrance pwdr in my workout shake and it doesn't settle very well for me

i may have to have it later on after i finish swimming

*gags*

macksvicky, janice21475, meyery2k and 2 others like this

My favorite store was not open yet, So I walked the mall for a while.  not up to some of your 5-10 miles a day.  

meyery2k, modcarb, Della Street and 3 others like this

it is not a comparison, sir ; just do your best 

:)

modcarb, macksvicky, ran23 and 3 others like this

Java,

I had been using the green vibrance in my protein shake before the food poisoning episode.

Will start again as soon as I get more bananas.  The only way I can drink it is by adding about 2T

good cocoa powder to the shake.  Helps kill the taste.

meyery2k, Java, Della Street and 1 other like this

Weight was 283 this morning so a loss of 11.4#.

I ate yesterday ---a lot it seemed like. Bit I didn't add salt to anything.

Even had my favorite ground beef with black beans and corn for dinner.

A slice of cinnamon raisin bread toast with fresh ground peanut butter

for a bedtime snack.  Fasting was 86.

macksvicky, janice21475, Java and 2 others like this