Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bdelatte

Muscle Milk

23 posts in this topic

Does Muscle milk raise blood sugar levels for anyone that has tried it? I had the straberries and cream one this morning only 9 carbs and i have been high ever since. I have had the chocolate a long time ago and didnt have this happen. Didnt know if it was a common thing that raises it or not? I looked it up and said it can have affects on blood sugar but was all it said.

Oh and prior to drinking this for breakfast my blood glucose was 70 beforehand so quite a huge jump if i say so myself

I would have needed a little more than a half unit of fast acting insulin. Did you think since you were 70 you wouldn't need insulin? How high did those 9 carbs take you?

Should not of raised it. Try to get the Muscle Milk Light. I drink the chocolate powder version of regular muscle milk and I don't have bgl spikes. Take note that I also had gastric sleeve done, but even before the surgery it would not spike me up.

Try to eat a slice deli meat like smoked turkey or smoked ham with your muscle milk. The muscle milk has enough protein that it shouldn't spike you up, plus the 9 carbs isn't all from sugar either.

If you are making your own with the powder, use skim milk :)

I'd be interested to know of any Type 1s who can ingest carbs without it raising bgs.

I took insulin with it. My bg was 70 to start with and i gave myself the amount my pump said to based on the 70 reading and the 9 carbs. I went up to a 227. Did a correction bolus for it and still at my reading before lunch it went up more to 236. finally went down in the afternoon.

Just cant understand how it would go from 70 to 227. I have never had that flavor before so assumed something is in it making it do that but i really don't know what. It only has 9 carbs so makes no sense.

You are right - that makes no sense! Unless you were already on the way up for some reason . . . I hate it when things don't make sense. Aren't we lucky?!

You are right - that makes no sense! Unless you were already on the way up for some reason . . . I hate it when things don't make sense. Aren't we lucky?!

Yeah and lately it seems to be happening a lot more often in the past month. I have an appt next week so I am thinking adjustments for sure need to be made. Sucks when you stick to a strict diet, never cheat and eat low carbs and still have high numbers. Type 1 diabetes is really frustrating me this month....just when i had been doing so well the past year. I've been all over the place the last month..taking its toll on me for sure!

By your A1c, it looks like you are doing very well. Of course it doesn't tell the whole story, BUT it still says a lot. Sometimes, the changes are because of a new medication, extreme weather, changing hormones, increase/decrease in stress . . . and the list goes on. After all these years, about 90% of the time I can figure it out. But I never stop learning and tweaking. I think you are doing a very good job bdelatte!

By your A1c, it looks like you are doing very well. Of course it doesn't tell the whole story, BUT it still says a lot. Sometimes, the changes are because of a new medication, extreme weather, changing hormones, increase/decrease in stress . . . and the list goes on. After all these years, about 90% of the time I can figure it out. But I never stop learning and tweaking. I think you are doing a very good job bdelatte!

Thanks and yes my A1c has been great the past year...brought it down significantly and its a true 6.0 just the past month has been **** and havent changed my diet. Guess I am just mad at myself b/c I know next week when I get my A1C it will probably have gone up from the 6.0 (which is the lowest ive ever had it) so I know I will be disappointed. Was hoping to break down into the 5's!..Maybe next time. Thanks for the positive words though :)

This may be absolutely of no help at all, since I am pre-diabeticish..but even Zero carb wheys mixed with water will double my blood sugars. I have had to switch to egg protein shakes because the whey does me in. BOO, because the egginess is definitely not super delicious :} But its a supplement and not a treat, so there is that!

This may be absolutely of no help at all, since I am pre-diabeticish..but even Zero carb wheys mixed with water will double my blood sugars. I have had to switch to egg protein shakes because the whey does me in. BOO, because the egginess is definitely not super delicious :} But its a supplement and not a treat, so there is that!

What brand do you use? They whey market is not regulated by the FDA and lots of shady companies sell powder that is nothing more then dextrose with some flavor agent. It might not be you, it might be the powder not being what the label says it is.

I had wondered if it was just a brand thing, so I have tried it with Optimum Nutrition, Jay Robb, Syntrax, and Protein Factory wheys. Samesame with those.

Good point though!

I had wondered if it was just a brand thing, so I have tried it with Optimum Nutrition, Jay Robb, Syntrax, and Protein Factory wheys. Samesame with those.

Good point though!

Edit too late :} to remove Protein Factory and insert WheyNatural. I only went with the Protein Factory egg.

Should not of raised it. Try to get the Muscle Milk Light. I drink the chocolate powder version of regular muscle milk and I don't have bgl spikes. Take note that I also had gastric sleeve done, but even before the surgery it would not spike me up.

Try to eat a slice deli meat like smoked turkey or smoked ham with your muscle milk. The muscle milk has enough protein that it shouldn't spike you up, plus the 9 carbs isn't all from sugar either.

If you are making your own with the powder, use skim milk :)

I drink the Muscle milk light and had no spike,I have tried other brands and spiked like crazy.

Hi all

Milk is natural food and drink and a lot of calories and vitamins in milk. Milk is the best source of calcium supply to our body. Calcium protects the body from major chronic ailments such as cancerous chemicals, bone loss, arthritic condition, migraine headaches, pre-menstrual syndrome, and obesity in children and aids in losing unwanted fats.

It's also full of lactose, which is a disaccharide sugar.

Muscle Milk raises my blood sugar as well. I have stopped using it, even the chocolate. It is the amino acid L-glutamine that I have read causes the suppression of insulin. You might

read up on it and the influence it has on blood sugar for type II diabetics. Also, Muscle Milk contains homocysteine which, according to what I have been reading, can contribute to

heart disease. I have made the decision not to use anymore protein supplements and to rely on the protein derived from a balanced diet. With red meats, chicken, fish of all kinds, pork, etc. I don't think that I will become protein deficient. I have not seen an appreciable difference drinking Muscle Milk anyway.

I Live buy these protien powders and have done a lot of experimentation specifically with muscle milk and ON. My experiences may also vary from yours as i usually use them as pre/post workout drinks, not neccesarily a meal replacement most of the time.

there is a significant difference in muscle milk and ON whey protien. Think of it like your simple vs complex carbs. with these protien drinks a lot of that protien does not actually get absorbed. The whey protien is made to absorb better and to absorb faster. (it hits your system all at once, has little to no fat, and clears your system a lot faster) The primary use for this is to drink it right after a workout for recovery and give your muscles that boost that they need. This fast acting, better absorbing protien has a much higher probability of spiking your blood sugar.

The muscle milk has a longer curve and stays in your system a good deal longer and is not absorbed as well as whey protien. its more feasable to use as a meal replacement (though i still would not recomend it all the time, real food is just better) its very good to use an hour or so before a workout as it will sustain you through the workout.

When used during or around a workout ive needed little to no insulin for either. when taken on thier own apart from a workout. I am still able to tolerate the muscle milk, but the whey protien still spikes me

Use them as part of an exercise routine if you are low on time and want the best results. Stick to whole foods as much as you can otherwise

So was your a1c up again? Just curious is all. I hope not.

Thanks and yes my A1c has been great the past year...brought it down significantly and its a true 6.0 just the past month has been **** and havent changed my diet. Guess I am just mad at myself b/c I know next week when I get my A1C it will probably have gone up from the 6.0 (which is the lowest ive ever had it) so I know I will be disappointed. Was hoping to break down into the 5's!..Maybe next time. Thanks for the positive words though :)

Hey Bdelatte,

I never drink any of these concoctions but want to comment because these past two months my readings were up ALOT without any visible reason - I ate the same food and everything else wasn't much different and sometimes after a salad with grilled chicken, which usually barely moves my meter I got readings 140, which is still thankfully rare. Oh and my A1C was up from 5.9 to 6.1 and I'm going to get a new one this month and expect it to be even a bit worse. I have no idea what is happening but to me it seems that things are getting a bit better since the weather is getting colder. I was always sensitive to heat.

I just don't think it's all about food. Food is important but it's not all.

Good luck!