Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

no1texan

Energy bars / Snacks with no sugar

31 posts in this topic

I am trying to find something like energy bars that don't have sugar. I think I am fighting a losing cause. Most

of the energy bars are loaded with sugar. If I buy a box of energy bars with sugar, I will end up eating the whole

box in one day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I am trying to find something like energy bars that don't have sugar. I think I am fighting a losing cause. Most

of the energy bars are loaded with sugar. If I buy a box of energy bars with sugar, I will end up eating the whole

box in one day. Any suggestions?

What problem is it that you're trying to solve that you feel energy bars are the solution? Are you trying to eradicate hunger? Are you experiencing lethargy?

If you're just looking for a snack, there are plenty of low-carb options (cheese sticks or nuts, to name a couple). If you're lacking energy, exercise is an excellent cure.

You are right, most if not all are loaded with carbs because the manufactors think sugar/carbs=energy. The boost of energy you get from energy bars is temporary and unhealthy. Eating low carb/high fat/moderate protein will keep your energy level steady.

Make your own. Sometimes it's very convenient to mindless reach for something during the day that won' hurt. Get creative with flax meal, nuts, eggs, and whatnot, to build something that works for you and your meter. There are plenty of ideas in the recipes here. Forget about trying to duplicate something that you might buy; focus instead on what else might function for you....

Some aren't as bad as others. I keep a box of the Atkins Day Break bars at the office if I need a heavy snack. These seem to be lowest in carbs of the Atkins bars.

I agree completely snacks should come from low carb protein foods. I am exercising daily, 2 days a week with a professional trainer for 1 hour followed with time on the Elliptical and treadmill. Then 4 days a week on my own circuit weights at YMCA followed by time on the Elliptical machine and treadmill. Yesterday I spent 1 hour with personal trainer, followed by 12 minutes on Elliptical (gradually increasing my time) and 30 minutes on treadmill. I feel absolutely great afterwards for the next 15 hours or so. I am just trying to fill in the time between lunch and dinner my wife prepares (high protein and low carbs). I need to eat more (of right foods) due to the amount of high tense exercise I now am doing.

I've been looking at them too, but less because of my fitness goals and more because I have horrible chocolate and sweets cravings.... I landed on the South Beach Whipped Chocolate Almond Snack Bars which only have 100 calories and 15 carbs in them and taste phenomenal... that being said, I cut them in half, and only have a half of one when I need something chocolatey and sweet.... it takes willpower, but so far so good.... I highly recommend these for anyone looking for a special "treat"!!!

So far, the chocolate/coconut oil/nut fudge works for me as a treat and helps to increase the daily fat.

I think the last time I looked at the different bars, they all had maltodextrin/sugar alcohols or modified food starch:( But it has been a while and maybe they have changed their recipes.

I've been avoiding both sugar and artificial sweeteners since I'm pregnant, and I've fallen in love with the strawberry cheesecake flavored Quest protein bars. That said, I use them because I need the highly bioavailable whey protein isolate more than the average bear due to the weight loss surgery I've had. It's also nice to have them as something kind of sweet and easy/convenient/portable since they require no refrigeration or anything. Most of my other low-carb snacks are refrigerated, whereas these I can just toss in my purse or car or keep at my desk at the office.

Jill, the bars sound really good, they have various sweetners and a whole lot of fiber! Glad they work for you, Julian Bakery has 12 for $24...is that good? I'm thinking of something for hubby.

I could never throw my fudge in my purse .....darn stuff melts as soon as it is out of the freezer and it isn't as satisfying drinking it as chewing:)

I like the Fiber One and Fiber Plus bars as their high fiber content gives them a lower gylcemic index. In the gluten free aisle of stores they have bars with flax seeds and almond flour that are very low carb but as they sre small company made and 100% organic they aren't inexpensive. If it's an energy boost you're looking for I really like 5 hour energy shots, zero carbs and most of the energy comes from B Complex vitamins.

I also eat the Quest Bars. They make several varieties, including some that are Paleo friendly. Great Product. They have a few carbs, but are made well for us PWD.

You can google "Quest Low Carb Gluten Free Protein Bars" and it will take you right to their site.

You'll have to look into what you eat gets turned into energy. Obviously, eating dirt doesn't get turned into energy. Nor does drinking water or leaves off an oak tree. Pandas have to eat bamboo all their waking hours to get enough calories to eat bamboo all day, the next day. Energy comes from the transference of glucose into the cells via a pathway provided by insulin. You can eat energy bars until the cows come home...but if you don't convert that into energy all you're doing is creating a very healthy toilet.

I rarely eat snacks, but when I do feel I need 'something' and can't turn my mind away from food, I eat 10 or 15 grams of macadamia nuts. They work almost instantly and give me lots of fat with a tiny amount of carbs, no protein (I limit my protein very carefully because too much converts to glucose and puts my BG up).

I have fallen in loved with the Atkins snack bars; I buy then from The Drugstore.com there low carb & have several to chose from my fav is there bars that reminds of brownies, they also have a snack shake that reminds me of a milkshake my fav is French Vanilla .

Jill, the bars sound really good, they have various sweetners and a whole lot of fiber! Glad they work for you, Julian Bakery has 12 for $24...is that good? I'm thinking of something for hubby.

I only buy the "natural" bars they have, which have no artificial sweeteners. They also have bars with sucralose (Splenda), but I don't go for those.

12 for $24-25 is about right. That's about the going rate on Amazon from various sellers (you might be able to save a few cents here or there, but no significant savings) and from the Quest site directly.

I'm looking at a box of Kellogg's Fiber Plus.

Nutritional info for one bar is:

Calories 120

total fat=5 grams

sodium=95 g

total Carbs=24g

total Fiber=9 g

total sugar=7g

protein=3g

My way of thinking is the net carbs are 15 g.

I'll eat one when I forget my breakfast at work.

i like the flavor of the atkins bars but they tend to send me upwards of 20 - 30 pts so i rarely ever have them

i've not heard of Quest bars, so i'll have to search those

i buy the fiber type bars for the kiddos but haven't eaten any myself since i found i was D - will experiment with one sometime and see how it spikes me

how much do the quest bars raise your BG? i know each person is prob different, but just as an idea?

pretty sure my local lowe's foods carries these:

Amazon.com: Promax LS Lower Sugar Energy Bar, Chocolate Fudge, 12-Pack: Health & Personal Care

will grab one next time i'm there and see how it does with my sugar - prob just have half a bar at a time

have you tried them? if so, how did they affect your BG?

I haven't tried Promax since they're still 19g net carbs, which is high to me.

The Quest ones, I've only tested from fasting, which is when anything will shoot me higher than if later in the day. I was about 80 fasting, went up to 120 at 1 hour with the Quest bar, then back down to 90s by 2 hours. For me, those numbers were fine. It looks like a big jump (40 points in an hour), but, again, I find just about anything makes me jump more when I'm starting from fasting. Definitely test for yourself, of course.

I also buy the quest bars but can only find them online. They do spike me the first hour but I am close to 100 by hour two. I also use the Atkins bars and get no spike at all. There are some of the KIND bars that are only around 11 carbs but they are higher sugar. There is also a bar called EXTEND that was invented by an Endocrynologist . They digest very slowly to prevent spikes or crashes. I have to find those online, too.

I find that Quest bars don't do a number on my BGs, but I find them too sweet, and some of the varieties cause me severe gastric distress.

I order custom-made bars from YouBar--lets you tailor ingredients and flavors, and I've been able to come up with combinations that are kind to my BGs.

I have fallen in loved with the Atkins snack bars; I buy then from The Drugstore.com there low carb & have several to chose from my fav is there bars that reminds of brownies, they also have a snack shake that reminds me of a milkshake my fav is French Vanilla .

Hi Dice22...Sorry, but I am not a fan of Atkins commercial products.

While I am a big fan of Dr Atkins and his late work, he sold his commercial brand years ago, and the current products are full of chemicals and additives that I am would prefer not to eat. Next time you pull out a box of Atkins snack bars, read all of the ingredients and let me know what you think. While the Quest Bars are not perfect, their Paleo line is actually pretty good.

I am a huge proponent of eating Low Carb High Fat (LCHF), and I try to eat products as natural and unprocessed as possible. Again...YMMV!

I also buy the quest bars but can only find them online. They do spike me the first hour but I am close to 100 by hour two. I also use the Atkins bars and get no spike at all. There are some of the KIND bars that are only around 11 carbs but they are higher sugar. There is also a bar called EXTEND that was invented by an Endocrynologist . They digest very slowly to prevent spikes or crashes. I have to find those online, too.

The Extend bars work well for me. They use raw cornflour for the carbs which has an extremely low glucemic index. I use them as snacks if my levels are a bit low before I go to sleep because they don't spike me and have a slow burn which avoids drops overnight. I usually stick with the chocolate or berry bars.

In a pinch, well, honestly, in a craving state, I'll have a triple chocolate Power Crunch bar for about 10 grams of carbs. I have found I do better overall when I keep my protein in check, though. Too much is no good for me, but if I'm going nuts for something to hit the spot I'll have 1/2 a dr. Kracker pumpkin seed cheddar cracker with barely 3/4 tablespoons of natural peanut butter and teaspoon of Polaner all fruit plus fiber spread. Yummy and filling.