Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Java

is coconut oil & coffee enough for brekkie?

28 posts in this topic

maybe a goober doof question, but it's all i had yesterday for 'breakfast' and didn't eat til lunchtime and i'm doing the same today - i'm getting used to putting some in my coffee and drinking it like that - you think that is enough for the body or do i need actual food too?

thx for your imput

:)

maybe a goober doof question, but it's all i had yesterday for 'breakfast' and didn't eat til lunchtime and i'm doing the same today - i'm getting used to putting some in my coffee and drinking it like that - you think that is enough for the body or do i need actual food too?

thx for your imput

:)

I'm not sure but if I'm just not feeling like eating and put off breakfast til later, I make sure to at least have coffee with a lot of cream. Coco oil would be better but I like my whipping cream.

Test upon waking, drink your coffee and coconut oil, and then test an hour or two later and see what happens.

i use heavy whipping cream in my coffee and i have 3 big mugfuls - i'm putting a good rounded teaspoon or two into each mug

i'll set my timer to test and see where i'm at - i know that coffee raises me - no idea if the oil does

i use heavy whipping cream in my coffee and i have 3 big mugfuls - i'm putting a good rounded teaspoon or two into each mug

i'll set my timer to test and see where i'm at - i know that coffee raises me - no idea if the oil does

Coffee may raise you. Oil, is, imo, a no. Your liver? That's the problem. Do not assume that a rise in the morning can be totally blamed on what you eat (or don't eat). Remember the beloved liver.

ok, this is true - i tend to blame my rises just on what goes in my big mouth - lol

i forget about the pesky liver thang

I find the CO will shut down my DP and prevent a rise later in the morning. But you do need some nutritious food tomstart the day in addition to the coffee and CO.

On days when I don't feel like eating, I go for the coffee, cream & c.o (even when I eat, I still have it)....today I was out by 8 and just got back. Had a h.b. egg and dh is fixing bacon...smells so good. My numbers aren't screaming at me and I wasn't hungry then, so I tend to go with my gut:)

All this is intriguing...

Coffee raises you?

Coconut oil shuts down your DP?

What is DP?

I have felt guilty when I don't eat breakfast.

Somedays like today, over 84 degree heat, ( I can take it to 84 after that I have to focus on being nice and not irritable - no AC) all I can manage is coffee with whole milk...

or water with lime...

Andy

I've found my body tells me when it's time for a refill. If I get hunger pangs...it's hungry and I fuel up. I call it "feed the need"! Calories in...calories out. I also find that if I eat just because I wanna eat...or it's clock time for the family feed bag...it goes straight to my butt.

I think if someone sits in front of the computer all day...their caloric need will probably amount to 1¾ coffees and 4 olives. ;)

Coffee increases the cortisol levels in your system, some say caffeine exacerbates it.

DP is Dawn Phenomenon a morning occurrence where the liver dumps glucose (for some), it can sometimes be "halted" by eating something, or in my case having coffee, cream and coconut oil.

Because milk has more carbs, a lot of us use full fat cream.

Hmmmm, Bountyman, my olives go in my evening vodka:)

What a doofy goober question- lmao! I' ve found through numerous days and examples that if I don't eat something for breakfast my liver decides what I need and is full of bad choices. I'm always 20 points higher if I don't eat in the morning. Using the whipped cream is good, maybe you can try some full fat Greek yogurt just to fill you up? If I eat a lot of fat like bacon or yogurt that seems to make my best 2 hour numbers after breakfast.

LOL

normally i have 1/2 cup greek yogurt mid morning as my brekkie and i've been melting coconut oil and adding that to it - was just curious if *just* coffee with the oil/cream would be enough

:D

...and i've been melting coconut oil and adding that to it - was just curious if *just* coffee with the oil/cream would be enough. :D

I used to have an old '51 Harley-Davidson Panhead that needed a little oil each day. It ran fine. :tomato:

Well, I have been adding coconut oil to my morning coffee for about a week and my morning BG has been lower. Hoping the coconut oil is halting the good old morning dump from the big old liver!

it's an odd thing to get used to, huh? OIL in your coffee - who'd da thunk it?

lol

I am getting used to the oil in my coffee! And I do like the moisturizing of the lips! No need for Chap Stick! ;)

My son got me hooked on the bulletproof coffee. He makes his inmthe magic bullet with melted Kerrygold butter and MCT oil. It gets frothy and the oil is well disbursed.

My son got me hooked on the bulletproof coffee. He makes his inmthe magic bullet with melted Kerrygold butter and MCT oil. It gets frothy and the oil is well disbursed.

What is the magic bullet? :confused:

For whoever said you must have a nutritious b'fast, I have had no nutritious food to start my day in many months and I feel so great! And have lost 55 pounds! And my blood sugar is totally flat most days! I do it bc I want to and I'm not suggesting anyone should do it, but I feel the need to counter the suggestion that one MUST have a nutritious b'fast. It's so overrated!

So how're you feeling today, java?

jwags - is it worth the price IYO?

lol @ jayne - you go gurrl!! :)

i'm doing much better, than you for asking :D that downswing hung on a while - sheesh!! feelin better mentally so that means i'm takin care of myself as i should and i started exercising last week so that is helping both my mind and my BG - but yesterday and today my body just feels completely exhausted to my core :(

For those adding fat(CO) to their coffee and their day, how many fat grams are you aiming for in a day?

I am still struggling with the added fat thing. Not challenging anyone, just trying to get *my* head around it. Doesn't one still have to be somewhat mindful of calories and portions? I am stuck with some 20 pounds or so, and maybe I need to jump all in on the LCHF thing. I tend to watch fats to a degree. But do use half and half, eat meats, use olive oil, full fat dressings, etc...

For those adding fat(CO) to their coffee and their day, how many fat grams are you aiming for in a day?

I am still struggling with the added fat thing. Not challenging anyone, just trying to get *my* head around it. Doesn't one still have to be somewhat mindful of calories and portions? I am stuck with some 20 pounds or so, and maybe I need to jump all in on the LCHF thing. I tend to watch fats to a degree. But do use half and half, eat meats, use olive oil, full fat dressings, etc...

I don't aim for a specific number of fat grams. I eat approx 12 g carb/day (mostly cheese, eggs, HWC, avocado, almonds), approx 45-50 G protein, and then I eat as much fat as I want. The thing is that nobody really wants to eat all that much fat. I almost never end up over 1200 or 1300 calories a day.

ETA: if you're just starting out w CO, I would start w 1T in your coffee, too much at once will w/o being used to it can give you the runs! lol I don't do CO myself. I prefer heavy whipping cream.