Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pumped

Scars at pump sites

23 posts in this topic

So I've been using the MM 715 for the past few months now. In the first two months I used my abdomen and now am using my thighs. I have scars all over from the infusion sites. These are dark spots and refuse to go away!! I'm afraid that if this keeps up, I will have terribly pockmarked thighs and tummy. Is there something I'm doing wrong that the scars stay or is there something I should be actively doing to make them go away?

They go away slowly trust me. I've been using the pump for 6months and it takes some time. If you blood sugars are in control they go away a bit faster. I just rotate from side to side. (right/left)

They will be there for quite a while. I think some of my scars date back 2 months at a time. I wonder if a light coating of neosporing would help them go away faster. Personally, it doesn't both me, but then again I'm a guy and some of us don't care about small little marks. (not all though)

I have been on a minimed for 9 years. I have gone as long as 5 days without changing my site. I am now staying always at 3 days. I find that the 4 and 5 day sites seem to be damaged more and heal slower as well as the insulin just seem less effective. At 3 days I have no noticable marks.

I have those too. I always do it at the 3 day mark, but they never turn dark. I also switch from side to side. Im female and yea, it bothers me a little, but nothing like the feeling of freedom and control you have on a pump.

What color are your dark spots? black, red, etc? could be some dried blood under the skin if black . If red then it could be irratation. I'd put some neosporin on the site when you remove the set.

don

Mine take forever to disappear and when the discoloration is finally gone you can still see where the needle was inserted.

Pumped. What type of infusion sets are you using? I had those marks also when I tried the sils....when I went over to using the 6mm quicksets the marks disappeared. I never have more than one day worth of marks anymore. You might try a different set or a shorter one.

I have been a pumper for over 2 years. My CDS told me that the best way to avoid having problems is to do sites in a clock fashion. I switch from upper abdomen left to upper abdomen right to mid way, then other side mid way then lower abdomen, etc. My instructor was a pumper too and that greatly helped me.

I do not use the quik sets anymore and have noticed less problems with healing, etc.. I now use the soft sets. I have only used my abdomen and never used the leg. I was wondering some time back though how I would do on the leg.. how many of you here routinely use leg sites?

BTW I go 3 days with a site.

I rotate thru abdomen and legs also. I prefer the abdomen (more convenient). I get the marks also but haven't timed the healing process. Besides, I'm such a hairy beast, the marks get lost in the fray anyway.

(Yes, I am a male)

What color are your dark spots? black, red, etc? could be some dried blood under the skin if black . If red then it could be irratation. I'd put some neosporin on the site when you remove the set.

don

They're little black marks and there is no perceptible bump or anything there which scares me. The skin texture is very uniform with the rest of my skin, but that section is just black. I'll try the neosporin, for sure.

Pumped. What type of infusion sets are you using? I had those marks also when I tried the sils....when I went over to using the 6mm quicksets the marks disappeared. I never have more than one day worth of marks anymore. You might try a different set or a shorter one.

I use the Quick-sets - 9mm. I asked my endo if I should use the 6mm instead, but she said that it might get kinked. I've been trying to find the difference between the two and who should be using which but haven't found any online.

I too rotate between my thighs and abdomen every 3 days. I make it a point not to re-insert close to any of the black scars - but it's becoming more difficult with so many of them all over!!:confused:

They're little black marks and there is no perceptible bump or anything there which scares me. The skin texture is very uniform with the rest of my skin, but that section is just black. I'll try the neosporin, for sure.

I use the Quick-sets - 9mm. I asked my endo if I should use the 6mm instead, but she said that it might get kinked. I've been trying to find the difference between the two and who should be using which but haven't found any online.

I too rotate between my thighs and abdomen every 3 days. I make it a point not to re-insert close to any of the black scars - but it's becoming more difficult with so many of them all over!!:confused:

I've used both 6 and 9 mm sets. Never had a 6mm kink.

That's good to know, Spike. I might just try them.

Also, can anybody point me in the direction of good information on the difference between the 6mm & 9mm canulas, and who should be using which?

There really isn't any way to say which you should be using. It is up to which feels better for you and which gets the job done. Most types of infusion sets have at least two canula lengths available. The reason being is you need to get under the skin layer, but not hit the muscle layer (as it can hurt.) And for different people that can be different amounts. Most people just try different ones and find the ones that don't hurt and also allow the insulin to be absorbed effectively (basically meaning it doesn't take all day for one bolus to be out of the system and you run high for hours on end.)

Yup, me, too, I'm scared with red dots that are slow to heal.

I'm on the IR1250 and I go at most 2 1/2 days before swapping out and rotating from abs to thighs, left to right.

I've been using the soft-set for the past 10 months but I've only recently

noticed these marks.

Pumped ...I started on the 9mm quicksets and it was decided because of my height and weight. I was having issues with the longer canulas bending under my skin. I do not carry much weight on my belly. I called Medtronic and they sent me a sample of the 6mm canula's to try. When I decided I liked them better they swapped out any unopened boxes of 9mm for 6mm. I haven't had a kink since.

I've been on a pump for about 8 years now. I get scars, but I treat them with this tea tree oil cream that makes them heal quite a bit faster. My stomach doesn't look exactly perfect, but it's better than it used to be. I'm not plugging any particular brand, but here's the one I use:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=172831&prrfnbr=182480&search=tea%20tree

Hope it helps :)

+Bonedog

Good tip, bonedog, thanks!

As an update: I've started using the 6mm canulas (Quick-sets still) and have noticed a significant decrease in scars! Also, these hurt much less and my BS are under the same control. Very happy I tried this!

Seems like the 6mm quickset is getting good reviews. I must be using the 9 right now then, I'll definitely try the 6 asap. :)

What I have learned is that the 9 mm canulas are for those who have a bit more body fat in the areas where the sites are put in. The 6mm ones are for people who are more slender.

That's good to know, Spike. I might just try them.

Also, can anybody point me in the direction of good information on the difference between the 6mm & 9mm canulas, and who should be using which?

Well, actually lelggren, that's what I'd read and had confused me - I'm not exactly slender (a little overweight) and the sites have a sufficient amount of fat. But it seemed like I was bleeding every other time I changed sites, and the site also hurt sometimes in addition to the scars. The 6mm changed all that. My blood sugars are in control - so I guess that means it's safe to continue the 6mm despite being un-slender :)

Well, I say if the 6mm is working, then carry on, my friend:cheers: I have never tried the 6 mm myself. I am un-slender....*cough, cough* and so I have always used the 9mm because my dr at the time said the same things I said earlier. I guess maybe one day I should try the 6mm, just for kicks :) Thanks for the info though!

Well, actually lelggren, that's what I'd read and had confused me - I'm not exactly slender (a little overweight) and the sites have a sufficient amount of fat. But it seemed like I was bleeding every other time I changed sites, and the site also hurt sometimes in addition to the scars. The 6mm changed all that. My blood sugars are in control - so I guess that means it's safe to continue the 6mm despite being un-slender :)