cdm-ochm

verapamil

1,950 posts in this topic

Every day (except the first day) on glutamine my blood sugars have been elevated (and in the 300's at times) for no apparent reason.  I'm stopping glutamine now. It is likely the culprit and I see no need to experiment further. The only other explanation is sickness coming on, but that doesn't seem likely. The high BG levels has corresponded with the timing of building up my glutamine levels.

Got my latest c-peptide results.

It's been about 3 weeks that I've been off the salsalate.  At first I hadn't noticed any change, but the last week my blood sugars have been absolute dogcrap.  My blood sugar has been running like butter for weeks and weeks now, easy to manage and very rarely get high.  But this last week, I've had several extreme highs that I shouldn't have--one over 300.  I had to up my normal insulin dose a tick because it just kept running high when it really shouldn't have.  I also had trouble getting my blood sugar to level out so I could do my c-peptide draw, which normally I've got it down to a science.  But this time I had to make two attempts to take it and even then I had a heck of a time keeping my blood sugar stable without insulin long enough to do the draw (it involved LOTS of strenuous exercise).

Naturally, all this had me sweating bullets and freaking out thinking that ditching the salsalate was going to cause my c-peptide numbers to come back bad since if you're having to inject more insulin suddenly it stands to reason you might be making less of it... BUT...

1.9 ng/mL.  Last time I was 1.8 ng/mL, so I'm up again!  The trend continues for now anyway.

I don't know what's going on with my damn blood sugar, though.  Maybe the salsalate, although not necessary, was still doing something to improve my levels and now the effect is wearing off?  Or maybe the salsalate IS necessary and I just haven't been off it long enough for my beta cells to start dying off and my c-peptide levels to drop?  Or maybe it's just a fluke and I have a virus or something.  But something is seriously up with my blood sugars all of a sudden and it has me really worried, even with the good c-peptide results.  I guess I just gotta wait until my next c-peptide to see what happens.  If I manage to make it to 2.0, I think I can probably rule out the salsalate as needed.

Anyway...  To date:

Pre-verapamil: 0.7 ng/mL

30 days: 1.1 ng/mL

60 days: 1.2 ng/mL

90 days: 1.5 ng/mL

120 days: 1.6 ng/mL

150 days: 1.8 ng/mL

180 days: 1.9 ng/mL

feibelman, sasaschi, JBC44 and 3 others like this

adamevans - your results are simply amazing. Verapamil seems to be working faster for you than anyone else, so you must be doing something right. Regardless, your results are globally newsworthy. I am very happy to see your progress. It's uncharted territory for a long-term type 1, so who knows at what c-peptide non-fasting level you will begin to see an indescribably good change in your blood glucose control. It has to be soon for you. Congrats again!

PS. I will try to get my latest blood work done next week and post results here also as soon as I get them. 

Technie and JBC44 like this

This morning I'm doing the c-peptide draw. It is at Labcorp (like walkin-lab) but I'm doing it through my endo's order so results will take about a week. I'm getting ready to eat 75 grams of carbs mixed with protein, then 90 minutes later the draw (hopefully). Blood sugar has been from 75 to 86 this morning and no insulin onboard (last Lantus was 26 hours ago and last fast-acting was 1am a single unit).

JBC44 likes this

My lab results just came in and they are somewhat disappointing at 0.6 ng/mL. This is down from my all-time high so far of 0.9 ng/mL I'm going to test a couple of more times (November and December) and if it isn't going up, I will scale back my efforts to a bare minimum (GLP-1, some select vitamins, and Verapamil). I will continue those, but stop most everything else and focus just on control and living with the condition. Perhaps at that time I will take a look at a pump / CGM, but my current insurance doesn't cover the first several thousand dollars of those costs, so it is pretty much out of the question right now.

I took another c-peptide test yesterday at Labcorp (walkinlab.com) and the result is consistent at 0.6 ng/mL. I am unfortunately still stuck in that same range. It seems that either TUDCA and 4MU have yet to have any impact and / or they will take more time or different dosages. Verapamil after 1 year I can say will likely not work on its on for me (or at least in a timeline that would help). I will take one more c-peptide draw at the start of the new year and re-evaluate my plan at that time.

post-57314-0-31619000-1449679805_thumb.jpg

Hi dswrangler. Are you still on the Verapamil trial? Have you had any positive c-peptide traction as part of the trial? or have you heard of any positive results from any of the scientists / doctors performing this trial? I'm still taking Verapamil, but as posted I've seen my c-peptide ranges level off in the 0.4 - 0.9 ng/mL range. I would love to hear from you in any capacity and anything you can share. Take care.

JuliaDay2013 likes this

Preliminary verapamil results are in!!

The sample of diabetic adults included 1,484 calcium channel blocker users, of whom 174 were verapamil users. The findings showed that calcium channel blocker users had 5 mg/dL lower serum glucose compared to non-users. Verapamil users had on average 10 mg/dL lower serum glucose compared to calcium channel blocker non-users. And the numbers showed a substantially greater difference among insulin users who also took verapamil. Verapamil users who took insulin in combination with oral medication had a 24 mg/dL lower serum glucose, and verapamil users who took insulin alone to manage their diabetes showed a 37 mg/dL lower serum glucose.

"This is a cross-sectional observational study unlike the current prospective randomized UAB verapamil clinical trial, so we can't infer causal relationship between using verapamil and lower glucose levels; but we can say there is an association with lower glucose levels, and that is absolutely encouraging," Khodneva said.

JuliaDay2013 and Technie like this

More on verapamil here  :    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160212093652.htm

"Khodneva says the findings in the final subgroup, which used insulin alone and included participants who had mostly Type 1 or severe Type 2 diabetes, were quite striking.

"The change in glucose for that group compared to those not taking verapamil -- 37 mg/dL -- is almost four times higher than when you look at the whole sample of diabetic adults," Khodneva said. "That made us think that verapamil is predominantly active for participants who have Type 1 diabetes or those with Type 2 diabetes who have really damaged beta cells. 

feibelman likes this

Latest 

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/blood-pressure-drug-verapamil-diabetes-study/

"The verapamil diabetes study, which will begin shortly, will use the current medication to reverse the destruction of the beta cells.

The trial will be entitled, “The repurposing of verapamil as a beta-cell therapy for type 1 diabetes.”  It should begin the first quarter of 2016 and will last for a year."

Our Sunday paper (The Huntsville Times) has an article about researchers at UAB (the University of Alabama in Birmingham) starting a human trial for Vermapil. If anyone is interested in enrolling in the trial you can call 205-934-4112.

Hi guys,

I am type1 diabetic since 23 years now. (28 yrs old)

I don't want to be impolite, but could you please tell me what is your summary of this thread?

My english is not that good and it's very hard for me to read 97 sites.

1)Did you manage to get a good dose with good results?

2)What verapamil product did you take?

3) How much mg did you take per day? 

4)Did you combine it with another drug like IGF-1 or something like that?

PS: I found this, so the study is on with humans right now..

Edited by carlalibi

Okay, Now I've done some more research and I'm gonna take 2x240 mg verapamil / day with L-Glutamine (20-30 g per day).

before that I will do c-peptide test and then after 3 months again.

I am 28 and apart from diabets typ-1 healthy. So i think my body will tolerate taking verapamil.

I will post my results for sure.

Bishop likes this

for me, it's hard to deny that GLP-1 helps prevent hypo's. Here's the evidence. 1. Back in 2014 and earlier without GLP-1, I experienced a treated low blood sugar about one out of every 3 workouts. A workout for me is a six to seven mile run that usually takes about 1 hour. 2. While on GLP-1, I had only a single mild treated low blood sugar during a workout. This over a period of 5 months and approx. 65 one hour workouts. 3. Today, I had another treated mild low blood sugar while running. This makes 3 of these since stopping Bydureon just over a week ago. This evidence seems undeniable that GLP-1 helps me prevent hypo's. I will mention this also to my Endo in the morning. By the way, my blood sugar post prandial is still very slow to rise and I still am taking much less and sometimes no fast acting insulin.

Do you take GLP-1 as L-Glutamine Powder or in another form?

i really hate these low blood sugars while working out. Have those nearly everytime I do sport.

--

I switched my diet to raw food - means coconuts, vegetables, fruits, seats & nuts - no cooking. I took some enzymes as well. I am doing this now for 6 months. I can recommend this (not only for diabetes). but I lowered my insulin about 75 percent. means I did 30 tresiba or levemir a day before my raw food diet. now it is 10. same with fast acting insulin. I think if we try this verapamil thing it is much easier for the body with a raw food diet. btw u can heal type 2 with raw food diet on it's own. dont want to do to much off topic, but I got rid of tooth and back pain because of this as well.

Edited by carlalibi

Got my 120 day c-peptide results today. I'm up again! 1.6 ng/mL this time.

So to recap:

Pre-verapamil: 0.7 ng/mL

30 days: 1.1 ng/mL

60 days: 1.2 ng/mL

90 days: 1.5 ng/mL

120 days: 1.6 ng/mL

yes, but may I ask you: did your life quality improve?

i mean, is your blood sugar more stable?

do you have less hypos?

do you have to think LESS about how much you inject?

do you have less high blood sugar levels?

that's the thing everybody who is reading this thread is asking himself. It is obvious that taking verapamil increases your c-peptide levels.

I read the whole thread now.

but does your LIFE improve because of that? do you have to worry LESS about your diabetic?

Do you take GLP-1 as L-Glutamine Powder or in another form?

About L-Glutamine:

feibelman: Still having unexplained high BG readings. Adding Bydureon seemed to have no effect so far. Still taking glutamine so I will give it at least a couple of weeks.

Technie: Check glutamine alone. Test your BG right before glutamine intake and 30, 60 and 120 minutes after. I tried glutamine and discovered that it definitely raises my BG levels, maybe you experiencing same...

feibelman: Every day (except the first day) on glutamine my blood sugars have been elevated (and in the 300's at times) for no apparent reason. I even took byetta, bydureon, victoza, and symlin at the same time and it was still sky high, so I'm stopping glutamine now. It is likely the culprit and I see no need to experiment further. The only other explanation is sickness coming on, but that doesn't seem likely. The high BG levels corresponded with building up my glutamine levels.

Sasaschi: I had unexplainable highs as well. Just two hours ago I was about to test what Technie suggested but my BG was already 300. ...

I switched my diet to raw food - means coconuts, vegetables, fruits, seats & nuts - no cooking. I took some enzymes as well. I am doing this now for 6 months. I can recommend this (not only for diabetes). but I lowered my insulin about 75 percent. means I did 30 tresiba or levemir a day before my raw food diet. now it is 10. same with fast acting insulin. I think if we try this verapamil thing it is much easier for the body with a raw food diet. btw u can heal type 2 with raw food diet on it's own. dont want to do to much off topic, but I got rid of tooth and back pain because of this as well.

Quite the same here. With this meds and low carbs diet I lowered my insulin intake about 80%.

I see, so u do not recommend Glutamine, but what about GLP-1 pens like Byetta,Bydureon or Victoza? arent they a good option to help your pancreas if verapamil works?

for me its all about lowering the insulin from the extern. lower foreign insulin means less hypos means more stable blood sugar.

Hey guys

My last A1C when I went to Alabama was a 5.4. And I was producing more then a 2.0+ cpeptide. Ketones will happen when sugars run high , mine really never do unless I eat something I know I shouldn't , and I have checked for ketones but even my doctors tell me that's kind of a waste of time/money unless your running high sugars. I havent really dropped low either recently, lowest is probably in the 70s, that's with running/intense exercise . I really really hope this keeps up and my beta cells don't keep dying off. believe me I check myself all the time in terms of sugar, fasting and after eating . Fasting the last two weeks I always wake up in the 80s.

srsly dswrangler, you should change your diet to raw food. it seems like you can live as a healthy person for the rest of your beautiful life doing that. I recommend "markus rothkranz" on youtube. he is the raw food guru in the usa. (btw. he is originally german and born in cologne, thats where I am from,too ^^)

FUN FACT NO.1 

:D  :lol:  :(  B)

can someone please explain to me why it is that GLP-1 like Victoza and Bydureon reduce hypos even for a type 1 diabetic ? I thought it only helps control your blood sugar if at least some of your beta cells are still working (type 2) - but in this thread feibelman, hoping4cure and others reported that GLP-1 reduced their hypos - and they are type1.

Edited by carlalibi

I stopped Verapamil after about 15 months because of no sustained increase in c-peptide levels. Several months after stopping Verapamil, I tested c-peptides again and they were the same as when I was on Verapamil.  Verapamil was not curing me for my case of type 1. On the flip side, Verapamil did lower my A1C's. This lowering of A1C was not worth the side-effect of Verapamil (again for me). I still take GLP-1 in the form of Victoza and sometimes switch back and forth from Bydurean. The GLP-1 does lower my A1C levels and smooths out the blood sugar levels by sending a signal to the gut to more slowly digest food. This slow digestion allows food to turn to glucose much slower and therefore limits peaks and valleys. It usually helps to time up the action of insulin with digestion. It also allows for some weight loss. I have noticed that the initial appetite suppression goes away after about 3 to 4 months of using GLP-1.

Thanks for your summary and your honesty. I did a few things on my own in order to cure me or to get better with type1 diabetes, I know it's hard sometimes if after a while you have to see that it did not work out 100% - even if the start was promising. A lot of people do not have the courage to say this because they are disappointed. But now I know how everything went for you, thanks for your postings and trying verapamil at all.

Hello guys, I'm 27 years old and I have t1d for ~2 and a half years. My bs are quite ok with 6.5-6.7 Hba1c but would wish for better. I am trying too to figure it out how it works and why it happens. My belief is that there is a fungi/virus/bacteria that sattled in the pancreas and causes beta cell distruction. I want to try ways of helping my body eliminate it. Any ideas?

What I noticed is that when ever I get a flu there are interesting things that happen with my glucose levels, first I have poor bs control(usually ~2 days before the symtpoms of the flu symptoms to start, but ofcource depends on how severe is the flu) I think this is because the imune system gets busy fighting the bacteria and becoming less efficient of distributing the injected insulin, after the ~2 days my bs start to improve and control gets a lot better and more effortless(I think because my immune system got busy with the flu beta cells got a chance to regenerate) but depends on the leinght of the flu my longest effortless period was about 10 days, where I got to use just the slow acting insulin. Any of you experienced something similar?