Diana_CT

Time To Toke Up

21 posts in this topic

I check Google New each morning for the news, one of the topics that I search is "Diabetes" and this news article popped up this morning,

Can ganja use prevent diabetes?
The Jamaican Observer

By Professor Errol Morrison & Dr Aisha Jones

Sunday, April 17, 2016

IN 90 per cent of diabetes worldwide, the underlying cause is related to the body’s resistance to the effect of insulin, which normally acts to maintain steady blood sugar levels.

A five-year study reported in 2013, wherein some 5,000 participants were observed, the users of ganja had 17 per cent lower levels of resistance to insulin as well as 16 per cent had lower levels of insulin circulating in the blood.

Further, the study found that users of ganja had significantly lower levels of blood sugar compared to non-users.

This study, reported in the American Journal of Medicine, supports the finding that by reducing the resistance to insulin, ganja use could indeed prevent the development of diabetes.

[...]

Studies on rats reveal improvement in the pain of diabetic neuropathy, whilst varying results are being shown in humans. The extract from ganja called CBD or cannabidiol seems to be the main ingredient likely to alleviate the pain and this approach is now under investigation.

Well yes, the rats probably just sit there with a grin on their face.

JanetP, kooka, TX_Clint and 2 others like this

Ok, sounds promising. Couple of thoughts/questions for anybody with knowledge/experience with "Ganga" used for medicinal purposes:

Does the extract CBD reduce or mask neropathy in conjunction with THC? As I understand it THC is what gives the buzz. Does CBD do the same (buzz) in any degree, and can the two be seperated where one could benefit from reduced pain/lower insulin levels without the high? Why not a CBD pill?

Iam also wondering if the participants in this report have smaller waists because they're spending lunch money on Ganga to get high.

Iam open minded about it........just asking.

kooka, JanetP and janice21475 like this

There are actually several prescription drugs made from "ganja" that are already available.  Marinol is the most commonly known one and is subscribed to treat malnutrition.  It gives you the munchies without getting you high.

Edited by JanetP
kooka, janice21475, ant hill and 1 other like this

As I understand it THC is what gives the buzz.

Yeap.

Does CBD do the same (buzz) in any degree

Nope.

can the two be seperated where one could benefit from reduced pain/lower insulin levels without the high?

Yeap.

Why not a CBD pill?

There is CBD oil. At least, I saw CBD oil for vaping.
Halves&pieces, kooka and JanetP like this

My guess is it de -stresses you. D is a stress driven disease.  For some reason we have higher than normal levels of stress hormones.  One of those Angiotension, increases insulin resistance and is believe to be the major force the diabetic progression.  Taking drugs that reduce this hormone before bed time  greatly reduces the chance you will become diabetic.  .

JanetP likes this

My understanding is (CBD) cannabidiol provides the medical benefit for diabetes etc without the THC high. Heard it was excellent for nerve related issues in particular. Unsure about depression etc but feel strongly about it likely being beneficial without the nasty side effects of chemical drugs. As was previously implied, THC is almost exclusive to the high. There are different varieties in mary jane. The most well known are related to the THC recreational users. CBD heavy varieties exist but are in short supply since basically this portion of the supply is, in my opinion, grossly under developed at present. Because this substance is banned in many jurisdictions. Research is not allowed. Nurses n doctors etc during schooling are heavily discouraged in its study, understanding of its abilities and different uses due to its illegal nature. Some jurisdictions only allow dried product which typically is smoked and unlikely the most efficacious delivery method or the right balance of THC/CBD for medical purposes. I'm watching this all develop with lotsa interest. ;)

adiantum, Halves&pieces, BigMouithXXX and 1 other like this

The morning news just revieled that medical mj is now legal in PA. making it the 24th state to do so. Mentioned several forms as being legal for use, including oils, but smoking is not among them. On the surface that sounds logical to me as I can't understand how smoking anything could be promoting health. Just saying there must be a better less harmful delivery system than inhaling smoke. Iam uninformed about vaping and its side effects.

Somehow I don't think special brownies chef's would be overly interested in those varieties of non THC ingredients, but that's a possibility for a product for health benefits without the getting stoned side effects. Still open minded about anything that improves or decreases all things diabetic.

JanetP, meyery2k and adiantum like this

I don't know - brownies that can help with diabetes and glucose control are definitely special!

Throw some bacon in there as kooka suggests and how could they not be special?

Edited by meyery2k
Halves&pieces, ran23, JanetP and 1 other like this

I don't know - brownies that can help with diabetes and glucose control are definitely special!

Throw some bacon in there as kooka suggests and how could they not be special?

I can only imagine how "special" those brownies would be at a random drug test your employer wants, or after you've been involved in a traffic accident of your fault resulting in serious injury/death.

Perhaps a brownie without the THC that can help with the diabetes, please. :)

JanetP, meyery2k and janice21475 like this

"revieled"

Yikes, see what happens with those brownies. lol

meyery2k, JanetP and adiantum like this

I can only imagine how "special" those brownies would be at a random drug test your employer wants, or after you've been involved in a traffic accident of your fault resulting in serious injury/death.

No different than being drunk on the job or driving after having a few too many.

In all honesty, none of the gloom and dooms stories have come about since Washington state legalized.  I pass over a dozen recreational pot shops just on my way to work in the morning.  And more seem to be showing up every day.

Halves&pieces, meyery2k and JanetP like this

I've witnessed many employees lose their job after smoking/eating mj weeks after consumption. The company that employed me had a one strike and you're out policy after failing a drug test. Mj, unlike many other drugs, stays in the system for weeks....especially when consumed frequently.

JanetP and meyery2k like this

The morning news just revieled that medical mj is now legal in PA. making it the 24th state to do so. Mentioned several forms as being legal for use, including oils, but smoking is not among them. On the surface that sounds logical to me as I can't understand how smoking anything could be promoting health. Just saying there must be a better less harmful delivery system than inhaling smoke. Iam uninformed about vaping and its side effects.

Well, CBD oil could be used sublingual.

And, if you really dislike the idea of vaping (safety/ethical/whatever) -- there is tool called nebulizer, which is used for "medical" inhalations.

meyery2k, JanetP and Halves&pieces like this

Well, CBD oil could be used sublingual.

And, if you really dislike the idea of vaping (safety/ethical/whatever) -- there is tool called nebulizer, which is used for "medical" inhalations.

Thanks, good information.

JanetP likes this

I've witnessed many employees lose their job after smoking/eating mj weeks after consumption. The company that employed me had a one strike and you're out policy after failing a drug test. Mj, unlike many other drugs, stays in the system for weeks....especially when consumed frequently.

Actually it can stay in the system for over a year if you have been a habitual user.  THC is fat soluble so it can sit in there for a long time.

I have heard on the radio, however, that there are now tests that allow them to see if you are actually under the influence.  I don't remember the details on what it is though.  Heard it on the radio one morning about a year back.

Edited by Kit
Moonpie, Halves&pieces, meyery2k and 1 other like this

Actually it can stay in the system for over a year if you have been a habitual user.  THC is fat soluble so it can sit in there for a long time.

I have heard on the radio, however, that there are now tests that allow them to see if you are actually under the influence.  I don't remember the details on what it is though.  Heard it on the radio one morning about a year back.

Haven't heard about a Mj currently under the influence test, interesting. I've been employed by Retirement Corporation for almost two years now so not up to date on this stuff. Didn't matter with the past employer...test positive...good-bye. Things may have changed with them...but I doubt it.

JanetP likes this

There are so many studies in this vein.  Doing activity A prevents condition B.  In the case of this study they measured the amount of insulin in the blood.  It was lower.  Why?  Because these people spent relatively more time smoking.  That's time that wasn't spent eating compared to the control group.  Tell me they had the same diet and same medication (non Ganja) and they might be onto something.  Let me make up a couple studies that could have similar results.

Watching TV for 3 or more hours a day prevents skin cancer. (cause they're not out in the sun)

Eating veggies associated with lower blood sugar.  (Cause they are not eating higher carbs instead)

Edited by JohnSchroeder
JanetP and Halves&pieces like this

Illicit Drugs is not the answer!! besides it's illegal here. If we were to have Medical Weed here it would be tightly controlled!!! and Smoking is the real problem.

Note the color though, eat edible greens!!

Moonpie likes this