Orlando

Health benefits of nut consumption

9 posts in this topic

Interesting article,if you want a quick fix, just jump to paragraph 4.2.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257681/

I found this paper very interesting as I seem to be gaining great benefit [ lower and more stable BG values] from consuming very generous amounts of macadamia nuts. 

Hooray!  I don't even have to read the paper to have another excuse to keep indulging.   LOL  I'm a big fan of macadamia nuts having grown up around them, monster tree in our back yard as kids, and being a fan of them vs. regular peanuts.  I've had to cut back on cashews, but still eat more than my fair share of macadamia nuts, almonds, pecans, and pistachios - probably in that order.

I never thought of it has healthy food, but it's quite convenient and all around us.  Good for travel too.

Orlando, JanetP, Moonpie and 1 other like this

I would like to add a caution that I found out the hard way as I was eating nuts and also drinking almond milk. Nuts contain a lot of vitamin E, which is beneficial for reducing inflammation. But I have retinitis pigmentosa (RP), also known as "tunnel vision." Vitamin E apparently accelerates progression of RP and, possibly, other eye conditions. My RP had been extremely slow progressing until I began eating nuts and drinking almond milk. And I found my vision suffering as a consequence. So, if you have any kind of progressive vision condition, find out if an increase in vitamin E will have an accelerating effect upon it.

Orlando, Moonpie, JanetP and 3 others like this

I found it interesting that the study results (4.2) derive from a comparison of nut consumption VS meals with carbs of high glycemic value.

"Finally, two studies from the same group [99,100] reported reduced postprandial glucose and insulin excursions after almond meals compared with those elicited after meals containing carbohydrates with a high glycemic index."

Perhaps the better BG response is due to cutting the carbs as much as it is the nuts? It would seem further testing is in order to determine if nuts have added value for BG control beyond any other low carb diet. The good news may be that nuts don't make BG values worse while providing other benefits. And, they are a tasty snack!

JanetP and meyery2k like this

Perhaps the better BG response is due to cutting the carbs as much as it is the nuts? It would seem further testing is in order to determine if nuts have added value for BG control beyond any other low carb diet. The good news may be that nuts don't make BG values worse while providing other benefits. And, they are a tasty snack!

A low carb diet consisting of only nuts would be a poor diet so I doubt  the testing you are talking about will never take place. This study does not recommend you eat nuts exclusively only that replacing some high carb things with nuts will lower your BG. Frankly this is not news to us but it's nice to know that others are taking notice too.

Nuts are as you pointed out a tasty snack and when low carbers are giving up many high carb things is is nice to know some "tasty" things that are good for you can be part of our diet.

Moonpie, meyery2k, JanetP and 1 other like this

Cashews are dangerous for me. They can spike me a little but OMG once I start eating them I just cannot stop. Rarely a day goes by that I don't eat an ounce of nuts at some point.

Hooo boy....me too!  Like the old Lays potato chip commercial, I can't eat just one (or two or three).  And they spike me something fierce.  On Saturday night I went a bit crazy, probably had about 3/4 cup of them about 10-ish at night.  The next morning my FBG was 119 (and its usually in the low to mid-80s).  Not good.  BG stayed higher than usual all day yesterday; down to 97 this morning...will be back to normal probably by tomorrow.  And that's all just from too many @#$%$# cashews.

I'll stick to macadamias--I can't eat more than 5 or 6 at a time.