GardenNinja

Morning Wake-Up Readings 2017

4,783 posts in this topic

116 and back to work. Psst! Diana, it's only Tuesday here! :)

Ops... that is what happens when you are retired. One day blends into the other

JanetP, adiantum, TX_Clint and 7 others like this

8 again.

Just discarded the dipping sauce my friend made for me..I think my sore throat & high BG is an allergy to it.

Diana, Wednesday looked right to me.

William, I enjoyed your snow photos very much but your  description has left me wondering. wet and heavy. 

is that unusual? Is there a difference in snow?

FunDad62, TX_Clint, William V and 5 others like this

I agree Orlando, I could not survive in those conditions.\

Without air con we can rest in the shade with a book on those hot days, although I never miss an opportunity to complain :)

Nice picture William, how you folks tolerate these freezing conditions is beyond me. At least in the heat, we can seek shade.

FunDad62, William V, meyery2k and 2 others like this

8 again.

Just discarded the dipping sauce my friend made for me..I think my sore throat & high BG is an allergy to it.

William, I enjoyed your snow photos very much but your  description has left me wondering. wet and heavy. 

Oh yes, there are tons of different types of snow depending on how much moisture has been frozen.  Wet snows are heavy and pack well.  I've seen some dry snows where you couldn't make a snow ball no mater how hard you tried and all you got was a really cold very fine white powder.

GrammaBear, adiantum, Orlando and 6 others like this

8 again.

Lee, when the temperature is around freezing, and it snows, that results in a wet snow.  A wet snow is, well, wet, and it's very heavy, whereas a dry snow happens when it is well below freezing and it snows.  We typically call that type of snow a powdery snow since it blows around very easily in the wind.  Usually when we get a big snow, it's usually a dry, powdery snow, although we have had some big, wet snows also.

I don't know if you have ever experienced snow, but the best way that I can describe it is, when you eat a bowl of ice cream, as the ice cream melts, it's still ice cream, but it is soft and somewhat runny, similar to wet snow, whereas if you just took it out of the freezer and it's still hard to scoop out, that would be the powdery snow.  The wet snow is wet and runny, and the colder, powdery snow is not. :)

Edited by Hammer
William V, TX_Clint, janice21475 and 6 others like this

You folk are fabulous.. not only does my etourism have no boundaries but now  can even experience the touch & feel of snow.

Ive only seen snow twice & powdery snow was not  one of them.

Thanks to the webcams at Michigan tech, I now believe Ive seen both types.

That which floated around aimlessly mustve been powdery snow, while  the wet snow went from A to B at speed.

Wouldn't life be dull for me if I didn't have a computer... now I can allow my mind to free-range. :D

Jeapa, GrammaBear, janice21475 and 7 others like this

Missed this morning, 110 before dinner.   will try adding cheese/fat to my evening Saki test. 

Diana_CT, Orlando, adiantum and 7 others like this

I had a consistent 7.2 this morning...
I miss having a real winter after a real autumn, where it does actually get cold and where you actually see the seasons change...the air gets light and crisp and there are open fires which you keep going 24hrs a day and hope like heck the bloody thing doesn't go out!  Then when you see the first sprinkle of snow, it's so magical you are captivated and watch this snow ballet as each one pirouettes to the ground and melts.  Winter is beautiful.

ps:  Lee, powdery snow is awesome for skiing and snowboarding, when your ski's cut into it it sprays up like sea-spray from the top of a wave...powder snow is like gold!  it's the stuff they man-make on our 'faux ski fields' but it doesn't quiet cut it. 

GrammaBear, FunDad62, JanetP and 4 others like this

85.  First time under 100 in awhile.

Record high temp of 82 here Monday.  Yesterday was nasty rainy.  A little cooler this morning.  Supposed to get even cooler tonight.

Welcome to Florida.  If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes and it'll change.

Edited by FunDad62
GrammaBear, Jeapa, JanetP and 7 others like this

72 this morning and the temperature outside is 7 deg F with a wind chill of -18 deg F.  Too cold for me, I'm staying home today.

Diana_CT, JanetP, Java and 7 others like this

111 this morning. Ok Diana, today is Wednesday. That's Humpday for some of us. :)

janice21475, FunDad62, adiantum and 5 others like this

A morning reading of 88 always makes me smile.

In the first few months after I was diagnosed and before I started ignoring my dietician, my numbers were always running high and I was always depressed about it.

One morning I got up, did my usual, opened my meter case and there was a sticky note over the screen of my meter with 88 written on it.  It gave me a good laugh and I appreciated it.  :)

William V, adiantum, Jeapa and 5 others like this

OK, I'll bring the tone of the neighbourhood down with my 7.5 but it has been worse lately, so I'm ok with that.

7F = -14C  Oooooooooooooh GrammaBear that is cold. What a clever mother bear you are to hibernate.

FunDad62, meyery2k, TX_Clint and 4 others like this