raffi

2017 Bicycling - Neither snow nor rain nor...

236 posts in this topic

Seems like it's up to me to start this year's thread. Here's where we can record our 2017 rides.

Slow start to the year, it's been single digits and snowy. While that can be a lot of fun when the sun's out, not so much in the dark.

I rode to our men's breakfast this morning. It was 6 degrees when I left. It was a toasty 13 when I got home. For the short (4 mile) ride, I was not concerned about getting into trouble, but I was not expecting the 20 MPH wind when I got off my hill. That did add a dimension that I had not planned for. Still, 4 miles is pretty short.

Had we had just ice without the very frigid temperatures, I would have done my 53 mile birthday ride yesterday. I had it planned out and on the fat bike it would have been a lot of fun. Turns out, as I drove by part of the route I would have taken, it was not only cold but very windy. It was the right choice to skip that particular ride.

raffi - Do you switch tires when the weather gets bad?  My BIL used to ride year round, no matter if it was raining, snowing, ice or windy.  He really enjoyed his bike rides and always changed tires with the various seasons.

Winter and ice get studded tires. The fatbike has DIY studs (lots of screws push through from the inside). With a new set of screws, the fatbike has enough traction that I can just about climb trees. It's a lot of fun in ice and packed snow.

GrammaBear likes this

raffi, I could have started a thread but I kinda thought it was your baby! :)  Next time I'll know.

I started off the year well but I had to work out of town a few days.  That, along with other things, equaled 5 days already of no riding this year. :(  I did get on the spin bike yesterday.  I will be out of town again this week.  So, I anticipate some days of no riding again.  I could use the gym at the hotel but I pretty much work until I get back to the hotel and then just fall into bed.  Then, it's up early to do it all over again.

Be careful if you're riding outside in the cold and mess!

GrammaBear and terri3 like this

Do you ever find it to be a special challenge if riding in the city streets where the snow plow has piled snow along the sides of the street?

Do you ever find it to be a special challenge if riding in the city streets where the snow plow has piled snow along the sides of the street?

On the 29er, I avoid the city streets when snow is piled, it's just not worth the risk. On the fatbike, I just take the lane and have a good time.

GrammaBear likes this

Hi all,

Sadly, no riding for me yet this year - I suppose I could have gotten out NYD - the weather didn't come in as quickly as forecast, but by then already had plans.  This last weekend was just a mess - more snow, rain, ice.  Looks like '17 will be off to a slow start.

OTOH, I have this to look forward to -  (N+0.5) Photo's not that great - the (phone) camera kept wanting to focus on the vegetation behind the frame.

Stay safe out there!

JT

post-37232-0-44142500-1483974387_thumb.jpg

terri3 and lapingv755 like this

Hi all!

So, JT!  Is the frame to be fixed for riding or for use as a trellis?  :)  J/K  Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Well, this year started off good but not so much lately.  Between work and the crud, I have been off the bike 11 days already this year.  :(

terri3 likes this

The weather is still persisting in being winter like (yes, I know it's only January :) ), so rides have to be well planned and shorter than I would like. I'm on track for getting in at least 100 miles this month, but it will take some dedication to make sure it happens.

Today, I had to take my car in for an oil change. Even with studded front wheel drive, I did not think I was going to be able to get from my driveway to the highway. At least two of the neighbors didn't make that distance this morning. I decided that even with ice and rain, I would take my fat bike with me and ride it back to work from dropping off my car. It's only 1 1/2 miles and, at this point, the fatbike is probably my safest vehicle. I'm pretty sure I would not have had trouble riding IT to the highway this morning.

Other than an impatient  driver yelling at me for daring to be HIS road, it was uneventful, though I did take it very slow and easy not wishing to push the limits of the DIY studs.

GrammaBear likes this

Hi all,

Was beginning to wonder what everyone was up to.  I still have not been on a bike yet this year - talk about a slow start (rain, snow, ice, rain ....)

Rick - that made me laugh  :) .  Given how fast ivy grows, and how long it may take me to get everything together, you might not be far off.

More seriously, I've done some tinkering (replaced the stem, have a seatpost, stuck in a set of wheels for a quick test fit, but nothing major --> the 'heavy lift' is getting the build kit together ...)

At this rate, I reckon I need to buck up, and get on the exercise bike  :(

Hang in there, and stay safe!

JT

GrammaBear likes this

Things have warmed up a bit (mid 30s is quite comfortable after single and negative digits) and the snow is starting to melt. I got in a 20 mile ride today and took the 29er instead of the fatbike. For the most part, that was a good choice, though there was a couple of miles where the fatbike would have been far better for the conditions.

It does seem that getting fewer rides has taken its toll. This ride really should not have worn me out much, but it did. Hopefully I'll be able to get in enough rides that I'm not hurting too much on my next commute.

I have to confess to lurking around this area.  Today, I decided to jump right in.  This time last year I weighed 313 pounds and was diagnosed as a T2.  This motivated me to not be 313 pounds anymore.  I walked, walked, walked, then walked some more.  Eventually I could run.  I loved cycling when I was younger.  Not being able to afford a car then, it was the only way to go somewhere.

In November I bought a Walmart special.  I didn't want to dump a lot of money into something and discover I didn't like it.  It is a typical 21 speed hybrid.  I know for $175 there is nothing special about it and all the parts are low end but I love that bike.  Pros like I imagine are here would laugh but I don't care.  My passion has always been to try to do the most with the least.  I love to tinker and I am thinking I will probably change all the parts out on that bike eventually.  I realize that it will probably cost way more than just getting a nice gently used Cannondale but the enjoyment will be worth it.  The frame, at least, seems solid.

I took a little time to get used to riding but I now ride at least 20 miles when I ride.  My longest ride has been 40 miles.  My most challenging ride was 35 miles.  The 17.5 miles out also had me climb to a little over 1500' in elevation.

Thanks, in part, to my bike I now weigh 210 pounds.

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii.  It is comprised of several volcanoes (1 active, 3 dormant).  Terrain ranges from flat to very steep hills.  Paved roads from sea level to 14,000'.  Climate ranges from rain forest, to desert, to range land, to tundra.

I have achieved many of my intermediate goals.  My goal for this year is to ride from Hilo to Volcano (Roughly 30 miles with a 4,000 change in elevation), spend the night camping in Volcano, and then riding back the next day.  Some of my intermediate rides above have been to get in shape for this.

I would love to join this group.  Yes, I am the guy that wears a t-shirt and shorts.  There is nothing professional about me as a cyclist.  I just like to ride my bike.

Thank you! ~ Mike

lapingv755 likes this

Mike,

Welcome! Your story sounds similar to mine about getting back into bikes. I spent a little more, but I definitely did not go high end. I didn't want to waste the money if I didn't get into it. The 18 mile ride home (in February in northern Idaho) convinced me that I could still ride. From there things kept growing until I did buy a nice bike (or two or ...) and while I no longer wear shorts and a t-shirt, it was a long time before I saw any benefit to bike clothing.

That's an amazing weight loss, hopefully you are doing it through your new life style and not some crazy diet. The changes I made were part of what convinced me to buy a bike as walking was no longer enough after the weight started coming off.

Jump right in with your tales of bike riding. You sound like  you should fit in well. We have all kinds here from pretty new at it to some crazies that do more miles that I could ever find the time for.

meyery2k likes this

Thank you for the kind welcome.  No crazy diet here (well some might argue low carb/high fat is crazy).  I did this the old school way.  Exercise, balanced foods, and protion control.

I do confess that I am looking at getting bike shoes after splitting the bottoms out of 2 pairs of tennis shoes already.  At that point I am going to try getting clipped pedals.  I can see the benefit to that on the hills in particular since I can then use the upstroke to deliver some go.

There are some incredibly beautiful rides I have been on just around my neighborhood.  Waterfalls, jungles, cliffs, beaches, etc.  Things we normally just drive past every day.

We don't get 14 degree weather here BUT the peaks of the volcanoes do get snow as you can see.

Here are some pics from around the island and the stats from my most demanding rides so far...

post-58728-0-87586000-1485141108_thumb.png

post-58728-0-75327300-1485141660_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-75912700-1485141178_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-13981400-1485141700_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-46903500-1485141722_thumb.jpgpost-58728-0-17791900-1485141775_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-73360900-1485141788_thumb.jpg

lapingv755 likes this

Another High Fat Low Carb success story! That's kept me off of meds for around 5 years so far.

Beautiful pics! Hawaii is on my list of places I want to bike. Your stats look reasonable for those rides.

meyery2k likes this

Mike,

Thanks so much for the pictures and your story!  I too took up cycling when I was diagnosed.  I originally was 296 lbs. but got down to 160.  Now, I average 180 but would like to be, and most importantly stay, around 155.  I also started off on a Walmart bike because it's what I had.  To be honest, it was fine because it was all I knew.  That was, until I rode my son's mountain bike while I was repairing mine.  I bought a used one identical to his, and then replaced it with a new cross bike which I still have. In 2016 I bought my first used road bike.  People in some of the forums that I frequent always offer the advice of going with a name brand bike.  I understand the logic but I think that the right bike is the one that makes you happy.

While I think I have become a bit obsessed with mileage I think that a person's, at least for me, cycling evolves.  I don't necessarily mean in way of improvement, which is mostly the case, but I mean in terms of interest.  The things I was interested in originally, I'm not now, and the things I'm interested in now, I might not be in the future.  Most importantly though, after 6 years, I'm still cycling.

It's nice to have you in the forum and oh btw, I have a tendency to whine sometimes!  :) 

Take care!

Oh, BTW, hi to the rest of you!  I have not been getting out but not as much as I'd like.  I plan to ramp it up at my first opportunity!  :)

lapingv755 and meyery2k like this

Hi all,

Mike - welcome! Thanks for the beautiful photos.  We may be geeks, here, but we're not snobs.  As others have said, wear what you like (and what works for you) - and ride what you like. The important thing is the riding. Keep posting, we all like to hear about what's going on in other places. (And if you have questions about biking and diabetes, you've found the right place! )

I'd, too, love to ride in Hawaii. We were there last in 2013, and I found out too late that we were leaving just a few days before the Honolulu Century - had I thought to look for events when we were planning our trip, I'd have done my best to find a way to ride there ...  Oh well, next time ... 

As for me - finally out for my first 2017 ride on Sunday; 20 miles out on the 'cross bike, and a good 20 degrees warmer than my last rides in December.  We may have a continuing break in the weather, through the coming weekend. That's pretty far out, but I'm holding a good thought.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

meyery2k likes this

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome.  I am OK with geeks being one myself.  Snobs, no way.  I have to admit that I have come across my share of cycling snobs.  My thinking is that I ride the ride too.  Maybe I don't have the fancy $2,000 kit but I am just as much a cyclist as anyone else.  I have the sense that I belong here and am glad I joined!

This is my "regular" ride.  I try to do 20-25 miles when I do this.  It is generally a ride around Hilo.  One stretch is along the coast and is very beautiful.  Sometimes I will go around downtown or on some other roads to get a few extra miles but I challenged myself today and 23 was all I was gonna get from the bod...

While we don't get snow, I neglected to mention that Hilo is in the climatic classification of a rain forest.  We get 120" of rain a year on average.  Much of the time it is misty rain but sometimes we get these short squalls with torrential rain and wind.  I rode through a couple of these today.  I loved it and have the skunk stripe to show for it not having a rear fender yet.

I recently got a Fitbit and found out that I have been cruising it on this run.  When I run 5 miles, my heart rate is 120-140 through the run which takes me a little less than 1 hour.  When I cycle, I was averaging a heart rate of 90.  Today I stepped up the pace with the goal of trying to maintain a rate of 120-140 for 1 hour.  I reached that goal and actually managed to maintain the pace and rate for the whole ride.  My app gave me a trophy for best pace.  I feel great.  Legs are a little sore but that is good.

post-58728-0-93002200-1485233855_thumb.png

lapingv755 likes this

It's that strange time of winter where it actually makes more sense to go out early before it has warmed up than later when it is a more pleasant temperature. In the mid 20s, the gravel roads are still firm and the ice is not too slippery. If you wait until the high 30s, the roads are soft, muddy and gunk up the drive train even with fenders.

This morning's ride was quite enjoyable. I waited until there was some sunshine, but the roads were still in good shape.

meyery2k likes this

Hi all!

So, a bit of an update.  I looked into building a couple of dyno-wheels.  Then I considered only building one and transferring it between the two bikes.  After more thought, I decided to just buy a couple of bright lights.  I don't know that I will ever be riding at night, although on some of the randonneuring distances, it may be possible to be riding in the dark and RUSA has some requirements for people riding in their events.  I got the ok from the "boss" to spend money on the lights and while looking at several of the bike shops I found a nice wheel set for the road bike.  I was considering 24 spoke but many suggested that if I were to carry any extra weight the 32 spoke wheels would be more dependable and probably more serviceable.  They are concept brand and are supposed to be pretty good wheels.

So, part of what sparked the light thing was that I finally decided to participate in a local rando ride.  One of my goals in regard to randonneuring is to do a metric each month and maybe 200 ,300, 400, and 600k rides within 2017, which will earn me some sort of achievement award.  The group of 4 longer distance rides have to be "sanctioned" and may be harder to find and to do.  So, anyway I did a 66 mile route with some other people on Saturday.  We had a head wind the whole way to the turn around point and a nice tailwind on the way back.  It was a good ride and made up for some of the days I have missed this month.

Hopefully, everyone else has been able to get out!

Take care!

Edited by rwallen
meyery2k and lapingv755 like this

Hi all,

Nice weather (well, for January in the PNW) this weekend - out for ~21 miles on Saturday. Got my Sunday exercise by doing yardwork (well, clean up of the limbs/branches that had fallen out of the trees).  The floodwaters have subsided out by the wetlands, so my "out and back" turned back into an out-loop-and-back.

Rick: re: wheels -- I had two warranty replacements from Trek for the rear wheel on my Madone. I'm a pretty big guy, the stock wheel was 24 spoke --> both rims developed cracks around the spoke holes, the first one bad enough to start snapping spokes (not fun!)... I had one of the local wheel builders make a rear wheel for me with 32 spokes laced (3-cross) to an H+Son Archetype rim. It's dandy stiff, and I don't think it's any heavier than the stock wheel. I've had nary a ping in almost 3 years, and I don't think it's ever needed to be trued. 

Anyhow - good luck, wheel issues can be a real nightmare ...

Stay safe out there!

JT

With the weather guessers promising no precipitation today along with temperatures in the 30s, and not wanting to blow one of my yearly goals in January, I decided to commute to work today. It was not fast. Between being a long way from my summer best and enough ice to make downhills an exercise in how hot I can get my disc brakes, it took quite a while to get to work. It took even longer to get home. But I'm feeling pretty good and there were no mishaps.

meyery2k likes this

Hello everyone,

My name is George and i'm 25 years old.

I can't even express how much i love cycling.

If there was the possibility, i would be cycling all day long.

My cycling history starts when i was younger, when i kept riding my cheap mountain bike nearly every day if the weather was good.

Then university happened and for some reason i stopped riding  :(

1.5 years ago i decided to give it another try. I grabbed my old bike, cleaned it and did my first steps.

It was like heaven, i enjoyed it so much but it was not enough.

So, this summer i bought my first road bike. Not something impressive, a mid range road bike.

Also, after i was constantly reading everywhere how much of a positive influence a cycling computer can make, i bought one of these as well.

The results? From about 20km not even per day with my old one to more than 40km nearly every day with the new bike.

The only thing i kept thinking every day was when i will find some hours to ride my bike.

And then.... diabetes came, or to be more precise, the symptoms of ketoacidosis were knocking my door.

Initially, i thought that i was like that because of extreme exercise, the previous week included a lot of km in it.

So, after waiting 2 weeks without any improvements, i decided to go and do some tests and here i am right now.

More than 2 months have passed with just 1 ride in them.

Here is a small video with my stats.

I feel very proud of them  :lol:

https://2016.strava.com/en-us/share/17111601/

It's a pleasure to meet you all.

Keep it up Mike, you are doing great.

Also, everyone keep posting about your rides, with some photos if you can  :P

If you want to learn about my short T1 history, you can find the topic in the Intro section.

I plan to slowly start cycling again in a couple of months  :)

Edited by lapingv755
gabrielo and meyery2k like this

I had always wanted to do the Big Island Circle tour, its about 250 miles to complete.

Ten years ago, I actually did it with a companion I met on the internet.

It was a wonderful trip! Hawaii is wonderful for biking and we camped out at beaches every night.

George,

Welcome. I'm glad your survived your diagnosis! You many or may not have already discovered that diabetes not only does not keep you off the bike, but the bike can be a great tool in managing it. From what I understand, type 1 can be quite tricky to maintain, but you should definitely keep the biking as part of it.

If only I had kept riding in my 20s, I probably could have saved myself quite a bit of trouble over the years. I'm hoping that my current riding is saving me from even more trouble in the future. Not to mention, as you have already pointed out, it is a lot of fun. :)

meyery2k likes this