raffi

2017 Bicycling - Neither snow nor rain nor...

235 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Mike - nice photos! Keep up the good work!

Raffi - keep us posted if you hear anything back

As to saddles - I had almost the exact opposite response than Raffi - the saddle on my Trek is probably the most comfortable of any that I've tried over the last 7 years. I test rode a Specialized Tarmac, and in 5 minutes I thought - if I buy this bike, this saddle *has* to go.  I didn't buy the bike, but not because of the saddle ...

There's also a lot of differences in shorts, too - I've tried a pair with a 'gel' pad. Nope. Didn't work. No way. No how. (Personally, I like the Pearl Izumi Elite range ... )

So, there's a bit of trial and error here ...

Stay safe out there ...

JT

meyery2k likes this

Hi all,

My 2 cents.  I didn't ride with bike shorts for the longest time but then, I wasn't going any great distances.  One thing about me, I can become accustomed to most anything.  Anyway, I bought a pair of bike shorts, got used to them, and now can't ride without them.  However, I bought the ones with the least amount of padding possible, I think.

Ditto on what JT said, raffi, keep us posted.

Rick

meyery2k likes this

Hi all!

Best February mileage so far!  Kinda makes up for a sucky January!

Rick

meyery2k likes this

I didn't know anyone here was interested in riding.  I started back in 1979 when gas prices went so high with the Arab oil embargo (seems like it was around an unaffordable price of 80 cents a gallon but I could be wrong).  I was in college at the time and lived about five miles from campus so it really helped in saving a little money.  I found I enjoyed it so started riding as a hobby thinking it would help my legs and when I was younger a member of our church who had juvenile-onset (type 1 now) lost both legs and that really frightened me a lot. 

I was very lucky a few years back and was able to get a good price on a Scott CR-1 Team.  Although the color didn't appeal to me at first I grew to like it and it's a fairly nice looking bike, in my humble opinion.  I'm pretty fussy about it and don't ride when the roads are wet since I don't want it to look unkept.  Of course, I don't like falling that much so dry roads are a bit more helpful in avoiding that. 

post-239-0-85680400-1488431756_thumb.jpg

meyery2k likes this

Hi all!

Welcome Lowell!  Nice bike!  You and I are of similar age and ride the same sized bike.  I will ride my road bike when it's wet but not when it's overly so.  I don't like the stripe up my back.  :)  On extremely wet streets I'll get out my cross bike turned tourer.  But I don't ride in the snow, ice, or mush...and not below freezing if the streets are wet.  Luckily I haven't had to worry about it this winter.

All, I don't have much else.  I did order a Garmin 820 explore.  It should be here Sat.  I hope I didn't make a mistake.  It was hard for me to dicipher what I wanted but I think I got close.  This is my first bike computer of this sort.  I only have one more thing on my list and that is to put areo bars on Betty.  After riding Bea, Betty is not as much fun and she can be really hard on my shoulder.  I hope to do more actual fully loaded touring than just the Katy this year but I don't know if that will happen.  Besides I want to do some trips on Bea.  So, the areo bars may only come in handy for the Katy but I think that is justification enough to get them.  Besides, there's more years ahead for touring.

Take care!

Rick

Edited by rwallen
meyery2k likes this

Hi all,

Lowell - welcome! As Rick said, nice pic. I don't see a lot of Scotts around here (PDX), but those that have them, seem to like them. And that's the most important thing.

Rick, congrats on the Garmin. I've an Edge520, after having had an Edge500 for long time - it was nice upgrade, - better mapping, and a much better UI. Garmin's documents aren't always the best - I had a learning curve with both, to figure out which buttons to push when.  For me, it's an easy way to log miles, and the mapping is a whole lot easier than using cue sheets. 

Do you know DCRainmaker's site? He's the go-to expert for all things GPS (he's a tri guy, so cycling gets covered well, along with the running and swimming stuff). Great tutorials - especially look into the OpenStreets mapping stuff (if you haven't already)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

I was able to get out for a short 12 mile lunch ride on Saturday. Pitiful miles for February. Wettest Feb on record - only 3 days without precip ...  Dang, I sure hope March is better. (It's not starting out that way ..)

Hang in there, stay safe, yada, yada, yada ...

JT

meyery2k likes this

Thank you.  I was pretty lucky to find it.  I had just saved up enough to buy an aluminum bike but saw this one for just $400 more.  It had all 105's on it, which was better than what was on the aluminum bike so I just borrowed the money and got a carbon frame bike for just a little more than what I already had. 

You're right about the stripes from the wet roadways being thrown onto your clothing.  I generally wear white or neon yellow jerseys in hope of being seen easier by drivers so something like grime from the road would probably be pretty hard to wash off.  Besides, I don't like the water being thrown on the seat tube or down tube either.  Some places on the bike are hard to reach and clean without removing the wheels first and I don't generally do that after every ride, especially the back wheel.

meyery2k likes this

Hi all,

Mike - nice photos, thanks for sharing!

I was finally able to get out for a decent ride, though it took two tries. I took Monday as a vacation day (needed a long weekend). The weather-guessers had claimed few showers in the early morning, but with rain decreasing by noon.  Woke up to a bit of snow on the ground!  Skies looked promising, so I headed out around 12, only to have it start raining. Tried to gut it out - but it was just too wet for my liking. Back in for a nap, got up around 230 to blue skies and some sun! (So they weren't completely wrong!) - dry clothes, and out again, this time for a nice 22 mile loop.  Floods have subsided from the wetlands.  Storm clouds were blowing in by the time I headed home, but no rain drops till the last ~half mile.  I tell ya - I'm ready for spring!

Hang in there, and stay safe!

JT

meyery2k likes this

I tell ya - I'm ready for spring!

Around here, that IS spring. ;)

meyery2k likes this

Yesterday, we had 8 inches of snow, today I got my first ride of the year in shorts. Yep, it's spring.

meyery2k likes this

Nice ride today. Went offroading a little. The first photo is Hilo from Queen Liliuokalani Park. I then rode to downtown (shown in the first photo) and took a picture of the area from where I took the first picture. The markers are how high tsunamis have come on the side of a lighthouse.

Took my first fall today. Was a nice grassy area in the park and just laid the bike down because I stopped faster than expected and couldn't clip out of the pedals in time. Laughed crazily, picked myself up, and carried on.  I shouldn't have been riding on the grass in the first place so serves me right.  

Pride goes before a fall and I guess I am a 10 year old in a 50 year old body because it was fun!  Falls are a part of cycling.

I saw a pretty good sized feral pig during my trail excursion but it ran away so no pic...  Like fishing or hunting it was the one that got away.  Perhaps another time.

post-58728-0-80735400-1489361137_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-27205300-1489361155_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-35597500-1489361165_thumb.jpg

Hi all!

Not much going on here. I missed my first day this month, due to work, on Thursday. Got out this weekend but our weather turned off cold. So, I just did my "normal" distance each day. I really need to start getting in some longer rides.

Below is a picture from today.

post-35267-0-54811800-1489369649_thumb.jpeg

meyery2k likes this

I have been using my bike for food shopping trips. It is easier than dealing with the car, gets me out of the house, and is fun. I almost always buy more than my panniers hold but, so far, have just managed.

I even safely transported eggs!

My home theatre crapped out so I took my bike to Wal-Mart to look. Found one I liked and went there when it wasn't so busy to get it with the car.

At first I thought getting all ready to ride would be a hassle but the Specialized hybrid shoes are good for walking now that they are broken in.

My butt is tough enough now that I don't need the cycling shorts except on longer rides.

Edited by meyery2k

Hi all,

Raffi - you made me laugh. (more in a bit)

Rick, Mike - nice photos

Mike - the highwater marks are interesting. We have a couple of buildings in downtown Portland (OR, not ME) with similar (though not nearly as high!) marks from floods in the early 1900's.  My parents were on Oahu for the '57 tsunami - Dad was in the Navy. I was born there in 1959 ...

Well, I did get my wish, at least for a day - Sunday was really nice. Broken, fluffy clouds, afternoon temp hit 61.  Not warm enough for me for shorts, but it was certainly a gorgeous day - 24 miles on the road bike. Did my typical loop; found the road north of the wetlands closed again (floods) - even though it had been open on Monday. And yes, we're getting more rain this week.

A bit about the floods, then a photo - this road closes all the time. Typically, the county puts up 'high water' signs and barricades. Been happening for years - the wetlands shares an annual flood plain with a local river.  Well, this year, some yahoo got the bright idea to just move the barricades, and ford the flood. Big mistake - their vehicle got swept off the road into a ditch, *fully* submerged. (They escaped, unharmed). 'Twas on the news a couple of different nights.  So now, the county has to *chain* the barricades in place; the left side is anchored to a post sunk into the ground; the right side, to a chain link fence. (Left side of the photo is the common flood plain - the vehicle was submerged somewhere off the right side of the road in the pic. Idiot ...

--Stay safe out there!

JT

post-37232-0-63761000-1489415519_thumb.jpg

Edited by ORjt
meyery2k likes this

Hi all,

Mike - nice - you did great! Love the photos and narrative.

We got a bit of a (needed) break in the weather. Rain lifted a little after noon on Saturday, and we've been dry since (rain's back in the forecast for this afternoon  :rolleyes:   ) ... got out on the 'cross bike for just over 20 miles on Saturday, then busted out the road bike for 24 on Sunday.  Still cool - low 50's when out riding, both days. And breezy. Not quite character building, but more than enough to notice. Thankfully, it was "headwind out, tailwind back".  The road at the wetlands is still flooded (or flooded again - I'm not sure which); and the County has had to re-anchor, to a much more stout post, the 'left' end of the chain. No idea what people are thinking ... 

Stay safe out there!

-JT

meyery2k likes this

Hi all!

Haven't had much to add, so I haven't posted.  I'm still wondering about Ronin.  I guess no one has heard anything, huh?

Rick 

Rick, I've emailed two addresses I found without a response. I do have a phone number, but I'm not sure how appropriate it would be to call someone I only know from a forum.

As to riding, The year is starting out real slow. I did get a couple of commutes in this month, but with lots of rain, I'm just over 100 miles for the month.

Hi all,

MIke - nice work!

Raffi - don't feel bad, I'm barely over 100 miles for the *year*. (Well, I'm at about 150 or so ... but still ... )

I was able to get out Saturday for 20 miles, started hitting rain about about the ~8 mile mark, and it was getting worse the further north and east that I went.  Turned around, and got out of the rain at about where it started.  Fortunately, I wasn't too wet, so I dried pretty quickly.  Pretty much solid rain on Sunday ...

At least the flowers are starting to bloom :)

Stay safe out there!

JT

meyery2k likes this

The weather has still not been cooperating. Last week I dreamed that I was riding and so frustrated with the weather guessers that I just said "screw it, I'll just ride in the rain". Turned out today was very much one of those. It was supposed to be dry until later tonight. Instead, the rain started about the time I left work. While it was not a pouring rain, I was completely soaked by the time I got home.

Turns out I'm not made of sugar, so I survived. :) This month, I've done more miles than either January or February, but still way below what I wanted. Hopefully I'll get out more in April.

meyery2k likes this

30 mile maintenance ride today.  Just to keep bike and rider fit.  Cycled along the coast.  Took a little over 2 hours with an average speed of 14 MPH.  300 miles this month and spent 23 hours and 59 minutes in the saddle.

Hi all!

raffi, I understand what you mean in regard to Ronin.

We have had our share of showers here.  Only a day or so, they kept me off the bike but work also added to the lack of time spent in the saddle for me.  I saw the possibility to hit 1800 miles for the year at the end of March.  So, that was my goal.  If I am able to get out today I will have missed that by about 50 miles.  While that puts me ahead of previous years, I have missed more days at this point than in previous years.  So, I guess that translates to the fact that when I do get out, I'm riding further.  I don't know.  I was on my way back from my Rando ride on Sunday, speaking of rain.  The weather was decent and I did have the opportunity to ride a few blocks with one of the local "legends".  This guy is a beast!  We were talking about a gravel ride that he didn't finish.  It was in OK and a lot of people didn't finish.  The conditions were horrible!  Oh, btw, he did like a 50k run the day before.  Anyway, he mentioned that he did a century on Saturday.  Saturday was a rainy mess.  When I mentioned that I try to avoid the rain when I can he said that his goal is to get time in the saddle and to get in the miles whenever he can, regardless of the conditions.  Wow, I'm not that dedicated!!  :)  However, he is a competitor.  Did I mention that ALOT of the bikes had to have parts replaced after the race in OK and the fact that this guy didn't finish a race speaks volumes about the conditions.

Anyway, I am nervous that I'm not getting in enough long distance rides.  If things go as planned, my big ride is coming up in about a month.  I feel that I should be getting in a few more metrics and maybe a century here and there.

Anyway, last but not least, I'm not sure if any of you know who Mike Hall is but he is an iconic endurance cyclist who was competing in a non-supported race across Australia.  He was hit by a car and killed yesterday.  If you don't know who he is, look him up and watch some of the videos of him.  Talk about a beast and such a humble person.  It is truly a sad day for the cycling community.

Until next time, take care!

Rick

meyery2k likes this