Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adiantum

artificial sweeteners

34 posts in this topic

Watching a TV program Catalyst http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4514873.htm

they are discussing artificial sweeteners & that  although they have no calories they do influence weight gain.

Professor Susan Swithers
When animals were given artificial sweeteners and also had a regular food that had sugar in it, then we would routinely see that the animals given the artificial sweeteners would gain excess weight and that they were fatter, even though they were getting fewer calories from the sweetened foods that we were giving them.
We've actually measured a number of metabolic changes that seem to be caused by exposure to artificial sweetener in our animals.

NARRATION
Swithers' research showed that the animals' physiological response to normal sugar was disrupted.

Professor Susan Swithers
We gave all of our animals what is known as an oral glucose tolerance test. It is the way that we identify diabetes in people. What we saw was that the animals that had previously gotten the artificial sweeteners were hyperglycaemic - their blood sugars went up higher than animals that had not been given the artificial sweeteners.

NARRATION
In addition to not being able to control their blood sugar levels, they also released less of a peptide called GLP-1, which controls how fast food empties from your stomach.

Professor Susan Swithers
So, if your stomach empties more rapidly because you don't release as much GLP-1, that may lead you to overeat.

Aduccembimb likes this

Studies come and studies go and are never heard from again. I tend not to pay much attention to them especially if I can see holes big enough to drive a truck through and there are holes in this study.

Until Diabetes I never used artifical sweeteners, now I do. When I went low carb I lost weight and despite using artificial sweeteners I have to watch that I eat enough to maintain my present weight. Too much activity and I will drop pounds and then have to try to gain it back. I do succeed but it's a balancing act. When planning my meals I look for things that are high in calories and low in carbs so I won't lose weight.

Before diabetes I used no artifical sweeteners and gained weight. I'll bet if I dropped the sweetener my weight would be much the same as it is with them.

janice21475 likes this

I don't know how I would manage without Splenda.

While this is not at all scientific, my observation is that many who would benefit from eating normal portions of food overeat because they believe the diet soda gives them a free pass.  I had the same reasoning. 

If I had a diet Coke then surely there is nothing wrong with having extra cheesecake.  So I ended up eating MORE calories and carbs than if I had stuck with regular Coke.

The biggest battle for me has been, and still is, portion control.  I have to strictly measure out things like meat and cheese.  If left to my own devices, I always overdo those things.

I do consume diet drinks and, for me, I believe they have proven a necessary part of a balanced diet.  Do I NEED soda?  No, but I certainly enjoy it in moderation.

Jeapa, janice21475 and Moonpie like this

Using (or not) artficial sweetener is a personal choice.  I choose mainly, NOT to use the artficial stuff.  But I do chew gum with a bunch of the artficial stuff.

When I cook I simply cut the sugar by 1/2 or 1/3.  Other non diabetic family members find the results plenty sweet enough.

Essentially the less artficial / processed the better. IMHO.  But I am not a purist.   It's too much work.

meyery2k and janice21475 like this

I used artificial sweetners way before diabetes. When I got diabetes in 2007, I started to use them all the time. Little by little I noticed I would get stomach problems when I ate things with artificial sweeteners. I ever soiked with them or gained weight. My bgs were neutral with them. So for the time being I have stopped using them to repair my gut.

meyery2k and janice21475 like this

I use some artificial sweeteners here and there, mostly liquid Splenda or liquid Stevia.  Not very often though as I have really lost my taste for sweet foods and I'd lost my taste for sweet drinks back in my 20s.

I have noticed however that sweeteners, artificial or otherwise, do tend to increase my appetite.

meyery2k likes this

Kit - I too notice that if I have something sweet it also increases my appetite.  Just sweet whether it is from sugar or chemicals seems to have this effect.

Edited by meyery2k

That is just a matter of choice. I do not put any sweetener of any kind in my hot or ice tea.

I never have, and I enjoy my tea plain.

I don't drink coffee.

I grew up in a family that put sugar on everything,. Never developed a taste for it.

My mother always coated her half grapefruit with a layer of sugar.

Not mine.

I guess you choose to eat sweet things.

Jeapa likes this

​Fraser...no, I don't actually the only thing I like sweet, artificially, is tea...I went without sugar when I became diabetic but it tasted revolting, so I put artificial sugar in it and the world was great once more...I love grapefruit also actually my favourite grapefruit is ruby red and I have it just the way it is.  My breakfast cereal is without sweetness as I said the only thing is my tea!

Moonpie and Jeapa like this

As long as you have been controlling your BG and A1c, any food choices you make are fine.

Which means you are reaching your goals. If so congradulations

Edited by Fraser
Orlando and Seagal like this

That is just a matter of choice. I do not put any sweetener of any kind in my hot or ice tea.

I never have, and I enjoy my tea plain.

I don't drink coffee.

I grew up in a family that put sugar on everything,. Never developed a taste for it.

My mother always coated her half grapefruit with a layer of sugar.

Not mine.

I guess you choose to eat sweet things.

That is true we all have our own tastes, likes and dislikes, and there are no right or wrong answers. I prefer my coffee and tea with a little cream and 1/2 teaspoon of splenda so I choose to use it. It doesn't hurt my bg so I will keep doing it.

Moonpie likes this

because tea tastes pretty bloody ordinary without it!

Sounds to me like you're drinking the wrong sort of tea.  ;)

(I'm an avid tea drinker but have never liked anything in it.)

Caravaggio, Seagal and Fraser like this

I like hot tea plain, but for ice tea, which I drink in the warmer weather, I like to add a sweetener. We all have different tastes. So I, for one, am glad we haev the choice to use a sweetener if we like it.

Jeapa and Orlando like this

I like hot tea plain, but for ice tea, which I drink in the warmer weather, I like to add a sweetener. We all have different tastes. So I, for one, am glad we haev the choice to use a sweetener if we like it.

See I am exactly opposite, I like a little splenda in hot tea, but prefer me iced tea unsweetned with a little lemon...lol.. I am also happy we all have choices.  :D

Fraser likes this

I've mentioned it before, I have about 50 bottles of DaVinci and Torani flavored s.f. syrups.  They add a lot of interest to many things I bake or cook.  The Irish Cream, hazlenut, chocolate or one of the other yummy flavors, is a delight in a hot cup of coffee with cream on a rainy day (like the last 5 days here in Nor Cal).  I've not noticed any ill effects from artificial sweetners in the last 13 years of type 2.

Jeapa likes this

Sounds to me like you're drinking the wrong sort of tea.  ;)

(I'm an avid tea drinker but have never liked anything in it.)

In the UK, there is a popular assumption that putting sugar in your tea means you're a bit dim and in a lower socio-economic group, with the more sugar you have, the thicker/poorer you are.

Worst of all, the assumption is surprisingly accurate!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3242363/Two-sugars-cuppa-likely-low-income-bracket-says-new-research-office-tea-round.html

Worth noting (for the Americans) that this refers to 'proper' tea involving boiling water, not that weird cold stuff you animals insist on drinking  ;)

Caravaggio, meyery2k and TX_Clint like this

Interesting article Deus. What's that AB, DE etc. crap all about? I also note that most brits don't drink instant coffee. I bet most Americans don't drink instant coffee much either. If all I had available was instant coffee I'd pass on it too. The consumption of sugary drinks including hot tea may be greater with lower income groups that are struggling to get by and not limited to the U.K.. The poor are usually only concerned about getting through today and this week. Not caring about a year or 10 years out. So they enjoy a little sweetness in their drink when they can.

The lettering is from a social grading system commonly used in the media in the UK for advertising and demographic classification purposes (based on job category)- the class system is unofficially alive and well in Britain. It's not quite 'Downton Abbey' but it's one of those behind-the-scenes things that generally no-one from outside the UK ever truly understands, yet everyone in Britain instinctively gets it.

A - upper middle (CEOs, solicitors, doctors etc.)

B - middle (senior managers)

C1 - lower middle (junior managers, office workers)

C2 - skilled working (plumbers, electricians)

D - non-skilled working (labourers, retail workers)

E - non-working (benefits claimants)

Broadly speaking, A-C1 are 'middle class' and C2-E are 'working class'.

Interestingly, outside of London I'd actually say the majority of Britons drink instant coffee, we don't really share the cafe culture found in Europe or the US. 

TX_Clint likes this