Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bardley

It's Been A While but Still Going

4 posts in this topic

...it has been some 7 years since I last blogged on this website and it's time to check back in about how I'm dealing with the bear that lives in my cave--Type 2 Diabetes. So far so good and my routine blood sugar checks have me in the normal range. Just today, after running 6k in the heat and humidity of tropical Africa, I was at 86 about an hour after I finished. I also still run 10kms and half marathon races, along with training everyday and lifting weights. Nothing much has really changed for me other than I probably feel the best that I ever have--even before the diagnosis. As I mentioned one time before, many years ago, what worked for me was Diet, Exercise & Weight (DEW). I realize that this won't work for everyone but do give it a try--if your doc says it's okay. When I was diagnosed in January 2010 I made major changes to my life and within 3 months was off the one pill they had me on. 

And I have to thank the folks who put together this website and keep it going. All of you were my Rock of Gibraltar during a tough transition. Thanks everybody and I'll try not to wait 6.5 yrs before posting something again. 

All the best from Africa.  B)

adiantum, Kit, meyery2k and 3 others like this

Bardley - Thank you for the encouraging post.  I was diagnosed one year ago.  It was the catalyst to turn things around and pull myself together again.  It is a beacon of hope to see someone that has been down this path for so long is still successful.

I am at the point where I have reached my weight, exercise, A1C, and diet goals.  While that has been hard work, I believe the harder task is going to be to keep up with these habits and not allow too much complacency because of my improvement to date.

bardley and m2hwb41 like this

I remember you Bardley and it is nice to hear from you again.  I'm glad that you are doing well and hope you continue to check in here now and again.

bardley likes this