Hammer

A gun thread...

256 posts in this topic

I know that some of you don't like guns and don't want any conversations about guns popping up in other threads, so I thought that I'd start a separate thread about guns, gun owners, and what gun owners enjoy about their guns, whether it's shooting clay pigeons, shooting targets at a target range, whatever, I am interested to hear what types of guns the members have, and what their interests are in relation to shooting their guns.  Myself, I am interested in target shooting, at either an indoor or outdoor range.

I have a .40 caliber Beretta handgun that I bought some 25-30 years ago, but had never shot it until I met a friend who taught me how to properly shoot, then took me to several ranges to practice.  Today, I bought a 9mm Beretta Nano and a bunch of ammo for it.  I plan on carrying this with me most of the time, since I have a concealed carry permit.  The gun is small and easily concealable, especially on someone my size.  I have taken courses in the proper handling of handguns, so I know what to do, and what not to do when it comes to handguns.  I know that in other countries, you can't own a handgun, but here in the states, it's easy to buy a handgun, as long as you are not a criminal or have mental illness issues.(they do a background check on everyone who tries to buy a gun.)

With what's going on in my country, I want to make sure that I have something to protect myself....a gun.  I plan on buying more guns in the future, for no other reason than to make sure that I am protected.

janice21475, pcramer1 and Java like this

I was talked into buying a shotgun several years ago and I can assure you they do NOT do a thorough check on criminal activity nor mental illness. The gun shop called a number for purposes of the check and was off the line in a minute. Some check! NO checks are performed at all when guns are sold privately or in the numerous auctions that take place here.

My brother in Florida has beginnings of dementia and also packs a legal handgun.

Three months ago, an 85-year-old friend in my rural community got shot in the leg by her husband who has Alzheimers. Apparently they had guns and ammunition squirreled away all over the farm. He came into the house with the loaded 9mm gun and she tried to take it away from him when he shot her. He is institutionalized now and she has finally sold all the guns.

My sister-in-law and her husband owned a slew of guns which they used to take to competitions. He was a nut who I would not trust with a dinner knife and she had a terrible case of familial tremor. After she died (10 years after him), I was named trustee and had to close up her affairs and clear out her condo. She had sold or given away the long guns but kept a handgun. I found 4 cases of ammunition in a closet. Can you imagine what would have happened had there been a fire in the building? I called the nearest police department and asked them to remove it all. They came for it within the hour and thanked me profusely.

I think people in this country are gun happy and, frankly, nuts! Not what you wanted to hear, I am sure, but that's my take on it.

Moonpie, adiantum, GrammaBear and 1 other like this

Hammer with all due respect this is not a ropic for these forums and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It is as contentious as religion or politics.

adiantum and NoraWI like this

Sorry but unless you can convince me that owning a gun will lower my A1c, maybe a better discussion on another site.

GrammaBear, kooka, adiantum and 1 other like this

I don't (personally) have a gun. My wife has a shotgun, and is considering getting a concealed carry permit so that she can get a hand-gun.

I can't get a gun licence since i don't have an "unlimited" green card or citizenship (for at least another 10 months).

Why would someone want a gun license/permit in my area of North Carolina? Whether you believe that the minorities being threatened by the KKK might react against a white family in their midst ... or that the KKK might target a white family that is openly supportive of "liberal" equality campaigns ... there is always a danger living in mixed areas.

I'd still argue that living in mixed areas is more vibrant and enjoyable than any homogeneous ghetto, regardless of the color or creed of those around you!

Orlando, kooka and NoraWI like this

I once mentioned guns in another thread, and it was mentioned that I should start a separate thread so as to not ruin that other thread for some people, so that's what this thread was started for.  I can understand why some people don't like guns, but I look at it this way....there was a mass shooting in a movie theater here in the states....how many of those people would be dead today, if every one of those victims was armed?  How about that mass shooting in Paris if everyone there had been armed?  You see, criminals will have access to guns and may try to kill you, but what if the victims were also armed?  Taking guns away from law abiding people, only harms the law abiding people, not the criminals.  I want to make sure that I don't become a victim.

Then there is the recreational aspect of guns....target shooting at a range or shooting clay pigeons.  If you have never shot a gun before, you should try it....it's fun and a good way to relieve stress.  I would highly recommend taking a gun safety class first, like I did, to help you feel more comfortable when handling a gun.  I like guns, and there are others here who also like guns.  There is nothing wrong with owning guns, and I'm glad that I live in a state where it's easy to own a gun.  My concealed carry permit is good for five years, at which point, I have to reapply to get it renewed.  If I had mental health issues or a criminal record, I wouldn't be able to get it renewed.

To me, being able to defend myself is a basic human right, especially as I grow older and become physically less capable of defending myself.  As for a thread discussing guns, this is Chit Chat, a forum that discusses everything except religion or politics....there is no mention of not discussing guns.  Lots of people enjoy shooting their guns, just like lots of people enjoy doing other recreational things....biking, swimming, hiking, jogging, reading, crossword puzzles, etc.  I see nothing wrong with having a thread in Chit Chat that discusses guns and gun ownership.  If the moderators here feel that this a taboo subject, please let me know....I don't want to get banned for something that I thought was an okay topic.

SallyW, pcramer1, Java and 2 others like this

Hammer, you have every right to make a post about your hobby. Nothing in the rules about discussing guns. If some old goat does not like your choice of topics then they should NOT read them!  

At one time I owned 15 long rifles. From 22's to 30 cal. to 303's to German WW2 bolt action very high powered rifles, and a few others . 

But my favorite was a Chinese made AK-47 type semi auto rifle. It had 12, 30 round banana clips and a 75 round tub. The gun was very reliable, only jammed once or twice while shooting thousands of rounds through it. It was a mean looking and mean acting rifle, and I kept it for many years for target shooting and for home defense.

But sorry to say that I have rid myself of the AK-47 type rifle. The state where I would go to shoot has become very strict on these weapons... they are outlawed.  

But the problem of "nut jobs" or loony's or just crazy people getting their hands on weapons should be of concern to all gun owners.

As charlton hesston said......" from my cold dead hand" 

Java, zazu and janice21475 like this

.  I know that in other countries, you can't own a handgun, but here in the states, it's easy to buy a handgun, as long as you are not a criminal or have mental illness issues.(they do a background check on everyone who tries to buy a gun.)

The purchase/ownership rules and checks in Canada are far superior to those the the USA.  Yet the Criminals and nut jobs don't seem to have any difficulty acquiring hand guns.  Our rates for GSW are on the increase, 

Feeling the need to protect ones self , presumably from other guns is the result of TOO MANY guns on the street!

Gun ownership, and carry permits are a personal choice but they add to the problem.

I, for one, do not believe that this thread belongs in this forum in the same manner as  discussions on bicycles.   One is about improving ones health thru exercise the other.... not so much.     Besides . I bet there are numerous gun owner web sites where you can discuss your hobby with like minded gun owners.   Just like the bike guys go to to discuss carbon fiber and ceramic bearing for their hobby.

Just my 2 cents.

NoraWI likes this

I think it's sad that you feel threatened so badly that you need a gun .

Here, farmers & those in the outback are allowed guns but they must be kept in a safe place.

Of course there will always be those of the underworld that have them  but they seem to be aiming them at their own members of  undesirables.

Pistol clubs  are around & are registered & constantly checked that they are kept locked when not in competition etc.

Cramer your language is harsh & yet  very limited  when you say " "nut jobs" or loony's or just crazy people getting their hands on weapons should be of concern to all gun owners."

That should include the many that are taking mind altering drugs just to help them cope with their day or to sleep at night.

The bi-polar, anxious, depressed or just in a temporary crisis all have the potential  to have dark days .

Moonpie, kooka and NoraWI like this

I think it's sad that you feel threatened so badly that you need a gun .

Here, farmers & those in the outback are allowed guns but they must be kept in a safe place.

Of course there will always be those of the underworld that have them  but they seem to be aiming them at their own members of  undesirables.

Pistol clubs  are around & are registered & constantly checked that they are kept locked when not in competition etc.

Cramer your language is harsh & yet  very limited  when you say " "nut jobs" or loony's or just crazy people getting their hands on weapons should be of concern to all gun owners."

That should include the many that are taking mind altering drugs just to help them cope with their day or to sleep at night.

The bi-polar, anxious, depressed or just in a temporary crisis all have the potential  to have dark days .

And what would you do if someone were to break into your house in the middle of the night?  Would you defend yourself with a soup spoon? I say lock and load...shoot first and ask questions second!!!!!!!

kooka and Java like this

And what would you do if someone were to break into your house in the middle of the night?  Would you defend yourself with a soup spoon? I say lock and load...shoot first and ask questions second!!!!!!!

Why would someone want to break into my home? I don't belive home break ins are that rampant, to live in fear of it.

People can own guns, if they want, I don't see the need for it. 

NoraWI likes this

I would call the police and stay hidden until they got there. Nothing I have is more important than a life--mine and others. Suppose that intruder was a relative or friend who didn't want to disturb you in the middle of the night or a neighbour coming to wake you to tell you your house was on fire or there was a flood watch or your dog was hit by a car or any one of a dozen scenarios. Maybe your doorbell wasn't working and that was the only way to get to you.

Then you would be up on a murder charge and full of regret. Even if it were someone breaking into your house you would be more likely the one shot and if you weren't then again you'd have to face a murder charge. That person would probably be high on drugs or crazy or some kids doing it for a lark. Most home invasions for profit are usually done by crooks who have made sure no one is home and there is a profit to be made. I have very little any crook would want. Children can and do get a hold of their parents hand guns and play with them often with tragic consequences.

I do have a couple of my husband's rifles in my house but they have always been kept under lock and key in a gun cabinet and with trigger locks. Besides they will soon be gone. My husband was a hunter and we ate what he hunted and that's the only reason we had them and in my opinion the only reason to own a gun

Aduccembimb, GrammaBear, NoraWI and 1 other like this

I don't see any harm in having this thread on this forum.

But yeah, I'm not gonna touch it with a 10 foot pole either.

Java, m2hwb41 and janice21475 like this

In my previous home in a rural area I was robbed 4 times during broad daylight while in town having lunch with my husband. After buying a rifle, a double barreled shotgun and a magnun 357 and letting the entire neighborhood know we would not hesitate to use them......no more problems. That's my two cents. When it comes to color, social standing or environment etc. there are rotten apples in all barrels. That's my only comment on the "race" issue.

SallyW, Uff Da, Java and 2 others like this

i figured this thread would get shot down

see what i did there?

Very clever...

Orlando, Java and kooka like this

The firearms debate can always be a lively one and I can see everyone's point.  Much of this, I think, driven by where one might live.  My parents had firearms in the home (I was never allowed access).  In addition to being secured and having the ammunition secured in a different place, I wouldn't need to worry about accidentally killing myself with a gun because my Dad would probably quite literally do the job if I got into the guns.  

I have done some recreational shooting from time to time and I can understand the pleasure of doing this.  I could take a .22 rifle and spend a very pleasant day outdoors shooting at paper targets.  I also enjoy using a shotgun.  They do empower you and that can go wrong if not respected.  I do not own a gun at present seeing no need to but I do appreciate having the right to do so if I should change my mind.

As an intellectual interest, firearms are beautifully designed precision machines in some cases and that can be the spark of interest vs. firing them.  

My neighbor was an instructor and he gave us a class.  He gave the best explanation as to the deadly power in our hands by pointing out that once the trigger is depressed the bullet will be fired.  There is no taking back or saying, "I'm sorry...".  We must ALWAYS be aware what direction the muzzle is pointed when we carry for this reason.  We must always be diligent and maintain situational awareness with guns.  Unfortunately, many people do not observe this which leads to many of the completely preventable tragedies we see in the news.  He pointed out that 2 decisions are made, 1 is where you are pointing the muzzle and 2 is depressing the trigger.  

Kala does not like guns but  I think it was good that she took this instruction.  She at least understands how powerful firearms are.  I respect that she (and many others) don't like them.  It is a lot of power and responsibility (her words, not mine).  Kala did not feel comfortable holding the power of life or death in her hands.  Her brother argued that the same could be said of a car to which Kala responded that a car was not designed to deliberately kill something (whether for hunting or warfare).  She pointed out that while a gun can be used for simple target shooting, it was designed to kill.  I was so proud of her as that shut her brother down.  

While this is obviously an uncomfortable topic for many, I am confident that as an accepting community we would encourage free discourse.  My opinion would be, like cycling has a thread, that a new thread be opened and those that are interested can visit and post.  Those that are not interested would not visit. 

Just my $.02

Edited by meyery2k
m2hwb41, Moonpie, janice21475 and 4 others like this

In Canada and the USA even police have been know to shoot and kill unarmed people.    Police claim to be trained.  Regardless I am sure the police get better training than a private citizen.

More guns is not the answer.

Moonpie likes this

Wow!  It was never my intent to stir up any controversy when I started this thread, I thought that those of us who owned guns and shot them for either hunting or sport, would enjoy having a thread to discuss their enjoyment of guns.  I agree with the naysayers that say that too many people here in the US own guns, but my agreement with them is only because that, a lot of gun owners buy a gun without being trained on how to properly use one.  Guns are perfectly safe when you are taught how to properly handle one and use one, as well as knowing how to safely store them..

While I hope that I never have to use a gun to defend myself, I'd rather have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.  I may never need a gun, but I feel more secure having one.  Oh, and just to mention, since I live in the country, there is always the possibility of running into an animal that may be a danger to you, especially a snake or a rabid fox or racoon.  The area where my radio club's repeater is located is known for poisonous Copperhead snakes, and since I go up there alone to spray the weeds to keep them off the driveway, I am in a position where I could come across one of those snakes.  Carrying a gun is the only way to protect myself....not to mention that the site is remote and I am susceptible to having someone try to rob or hurt me.

When I first bought a handgun, I was very nervous about handling it, so I rarely picked it up.  When I met my friend who is into guns, she advised me to take a safety course in gun handling so I did.  She also gave me advice on handling guns, and today, I am no longer nervous when handling a handgun, since I know the do's and don't's of handling a handgun.

Anyway, please know that I didn't start this thread to stir up any controversy or to anger anyone, I just wanted to share my interest in guns with others here.

kooka, SallyW, meyery2k and 2 others like this

I understand the hobby point of view for fire arms.  In fact I have a couple of .22 rifles for target shooting.   Haven't used them much lately.  Originally these bolt action winchesters were chosen for their rugged build and accuracy.

I also have a couple of paint ball guns as well.    I actually find it amazing that the semi automatic , CO2 powered,  .68 calibre  inards can move back and forth as quickly and smoothly as it does.  Firing as fast as I can pull the trigger, without jamming or mashing up the ammo.    Of course you gotta keep it clean.

Hand guns and carry permits is not a hobby perspective........IMHO

kooka likes this

I have a handgun that I kept in the vehicle when going to work as I used to work in a very sketchy area.

It now resides in a safe spot in our house where it could be gotten to quickly if we ever needed to.

I also have a couple rifles that I like to use for Appleseeds and target practice.

I have a concealed carry permit but do not carry, I picked it up as it made it easier when I was going to make a purchase.

I would like to repeat my point, what do guns have to do with diabetes?

cycling is exercise which is important in controlling diabetes.

I would prefer to stick with the concept of a diabetes focused group.

I play the piano for my hobby, I am sure we could populate a thread for pianist,

But this is not the site for this. Now if you are going low while performing a concert,

We could discuss that.

there are many other sites available for pianist.

Gladtobehere and janice21475 like this

this is the chit chat section where it says "come in here to discuss anything other than diabetes"

we can talk about whatever we wanna talk about as long as the mods say it is ok

not your cup of tea? skip the thread

Edited by javagurrl
janice21475, Ed B, Hammer and 6 others like this

With what's going on in my country, I want to make sure that I have something to protect myself....a gun.  I plan on buying more guns in the future, for no other reason than to make sure that I am protected.

I'm ex-military (Special Forces). Trust me...guns are for offense, not defense...unless you're Ted Nugent. Anyone, any group, that wants you or your property, should the apocalypse show up, are going to be more prepared and ordnance-heavy than you are. Guns are good to have if you're after game and that's your sole source of protein. As a collective item and to plink at paper targets...it's fun to hold something in your hand that goes bang.

What protects you is your skills as a survivor, your willingness to kill anyone who threatens you...and the acreage you live on to bury those bodies. Trust me...killing someone is a tough decision. You hesitate for a fraction of a second...it's you that's going to be dead.

FWIW

GretchO, Moonpie, Gladtobehere and 1 other like this

In my previous home in a rural area I was robbed 4 times during broad daylight while in town having lunch with my husband. After buying a rifle, a double barreled shotgun and a magnun 357 and letting the entire neighborhood know we would not hesitate to use them......no more problems.

So, it was your neighbors robbing you? Too funny... :)

pcramer1 and janice21475 like this