Hammer

A gun thread...

256 posts in this topic

this is the chit chat section where it says "come in here to discuss anything other than diabetes"

we can talk about whatever we wanna talk about as long as the mods say it is ok

not your cup of tea? skip the thread

You tell-em kid.

Java and Moonpie like this

I understand the hobby point of view for fire arms.  In fact I have a couple of .22 rifles for target shooting.   Haven't used them much lately.  Originally these bolt action winchesters were chosen for their rugged build and accuracy.

I also have a couple of paint ball guns as well.    I actually find it amazing that the semi automatic , CO2 powered,  .68 calibre  inards can move back and forth as quickly and smoothly as it does.  Firing as fast as I can pull the trigger, without jamming or mashing up the ammo.    Of course you gotta keep it clean.

Hand guns and carry permits is not a hobby perspective........IMHO

Thanks for your input.  Hand guns being shot at a target range, require a lot of skill.  The first time I went to an indoor firing range, I thought that hitting a target at ten feet away would be easy....until I tried it.  While I hit the bulls eye a number of times, it wasn't that easy to hit.  It takes a lot of focus to hit that bulls eye, and, while I thought it would be easy, that was not the case.  Firing any gun, whether it's a rifle or a handgun, takes a lot of practice and skill.  That's what makes it so fun to shoot these guns.  I have never shot a rifle...maybe some time in the future, but firing a hand gun is a lot of fun.  Yes, a carry permit is not a hobby perspective, but being a victim of violence, is not exactly something that anyone wants to experience either.  When I was younger, I was strong and could protect myself with my fists, if need be, but now, I am old, so I am not as strong as I used to be, so I need something to protect myself, if that occasion should arise, so what is available to me to protect myself....guns, that's what.  While I live in a peaceful area, I frequently travel to other areas that are not so safe, so how can I protect myself?....a gun is how.

For those of you here who are against guns, let me ask you a question....if someone tried to break into your house, or if someone tried to attack you on the street, what would you do to protect yourself?  If you had a gun, you could easily protect yourself, but if you didn't have a gun because you were against guns, what would you do?  I hear people say that they had a relative or friend who was hurt with a hand gun that was accidental.  Okay, how many people accidentally cut themselves with a knife?  I have accidentally cut myself many times with a knife, so am I against knives?  No, because knives, like guns, aren't dangerous unless used improperly.  If a person who owns guns acts responsibly, he/she is no danger to others, and in fact, might help to protect others if someone tried to hurt others.

Fraser, Chit Chat says that it is about talking about everything that is NOT diabetes related, like a thread for music, a thread for humor, etc.  If there was a thread about fishing or bow and arrow hunting, no one would say anything, but if it's about guns, suddenly people get upset....I don't understand why they get upset.  I don't understand why people are against guns that can help them to protect themselves. 

I know that in other countries, people might not view owning a gun as a necessity for whatever reason, but here in the states, this country became great because of guns.  We won our independence because of guns, we survived numerous wars because of guns, so our culture here in the US has always been gun dependent, which is due to the second amendment that guarantees our right to own firearms, so why the backlash of owning guns?  Sure, guns can kill people, knives can kill people, cars can kill people, but people only speak out against guns and not anything else that can kill them....why don't they speak out against anything else that can kill them?

I created this thread so that those of us who have guns and enjoy shooting them, have a place to talk about them, and also, for those that don't like guns and prefer not to hear anything about guns, can avoid this thread.  I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable with this thread, I just wanted those that enjoy their guns, to have a place to share their thoughts about the enjoyment they get from owning guns and using them.

I know that this is a forum about diabetes, but in the Chit Chat forum, we talk about lots of things that are not diabetes related.  Is your favorite music diabetes related?  Is your favorite humorous joke  diabetes related?  Are e-mail scams, diabetes related?  Are your favorite movies diabetes related?  No, that is why the Chit Chat forum was created...to express your views on anything that is NOT diabetes related.(except for political or religious topics.)

I would like to hear from those who are against guns, as well as those who are in favor of guns, because I am always interested in other people's points of view.  Just because I like guns, doesn't mean that my opinions are the only way to view gun ownership, it's just my opinion.  I appreciate all of the comments made in this thread, as they give me a lot to think about....from both sides of the aisle.  I am always open to other peoples thoughts....it allows me to see things in a different light, so thank you for that.

meyery2k, pcramer1, Java and 1 other like this

Hammer, I don't have a fear of someone breaking in.

Maybe life is safer in Australia .

They just don't break into a house  without indication something of value is inside.

I don't even have  neighbours inside my house & that stops idle gossip of ' what Lee owns'.

Nothing I own is worth taking someones life over.

I have been robbed previously & that was my own fault for trusting a woman not knowing her husband was a druggie.

OK he  took things of  value , but it took me 6 months to realise it'd gone,

so I obviously wasn't going to fall apart at the loss..but did celebrate when he died.

I've had a prowler but didn't live in fear... I just rang the police . I also fenced off my property & put a lock on the gate.

I will not live in fear.

I do not lock my house  & on Summer nights I don't even close the doors.

Moonpie likes this

I am not "against " guns I don't own them, but it is about a political topic as there can be in the US,

Unless you say the name Trump or Obama.

as you can tell from the posts.

They just don't break into a house  without indication something of value is inside.

I don't even have  neighbours inside my house & that stops idle gossip of ' what Lee owns'.

I have been robbed previously & that was my own fault for trusting a woman not knowing her husband was a druggie.

I agree, I have no desire to own o 

so I obviously wasn't going to fall apart at the loss..but did celebrate when he died.

I've had a prowler but didn't live in fear... I just rang the police . I also fenced off my property & put a lock on the gate.

I will not live in fear.

I agree, & I have no desire to keep or own a gun. I often keep my patio door unlocked, I keep valuables in a bank safe box. Our house does not look fancy from outside. I guess if I was unfortunate to be home while a robber entered, I'd just have to take my chances. Life is an ever changing thing. I am not going to live in fear & have to worry about a gun. No thank you. But people do have the right to own guns, which they do.

Aduccembimb and meyery2k like this

i'm not really a gun person. But my husband definitely is. I'm not sure how many guns we have. He did buy me one for our anniversary one year. And i shot it a couple times, but really didn't like it. It was a 38 special (he since sold it to a guy at work). He has a 22 that i really like.  My husband is a hunter, and both Ashleigh and Madisyn (15) have taken hunter safety courses and passed.  Hunting is not my forte but i do enjoy the occasional target shooting with guns.

meyery2k and Moonpie like this

I am an avid sporting clay shooter. I shoot at least two to three times a week. I have a coach that I work with once a week and I like to shoot tournaments. I have taken a handgun safety course and enjoy an evening of taking apart my shotgun for maintenance and cleaning.

I shoot a 12 gauge Beretta A400 parallel target and a Ceasar Guerini Syren over under, also 12 gauge.

I don't have a fear of guns.

I take my 14 year old granddaughter shooting twice a week for her high school trap team and sporting clay team. I bought her a Beretta 3901 12 gauge semi auto.

Guns are tools. The only time I have a problem with them is when tools own guns. Never yet seen a gun jump off a table and shoot someone. It is the person behind a gun that can be scary. But those same people can be scary with a knife a car a hatchet or a bow and arrow.

And yes, I live in insane California.

meyery2k, princesslinda, Aduccembimb and 3 others like this

I will not live in fear.

I'm curious, the fence you put up, just how high is it? I had a prowler also and maybe I should install a fence , and a prowler would see my fence and run away. 

I think it's sad that you feel threatened so badly that you need a gun .

Here, farmers & those in the outback are allowed guns but they must be kept in a safe place.

Of course there will always be those of the underworld that have them  but they seem to be aiming them at their own members of  undesirables.

Pistol clubs  are around & are registered & constantly checked that they are kept locked when not in competition etc.

Cramer your language is harsh & yet  very limited  when you say " "nut jobs" or loony's or just crazy people getting their hands on weapons should be of concern to all gun owners."

That should include the many that are taking mind altering drugs just to help them cope with their day or to sleep at night.

The bi-polar, anxious, depressed or just in a temporary crisis all have the potential  to have dark days .

Do you own a gun?

Well obviously the constitution needs modernising in relation to firearms in the sates. I can understand why it was introduced, a long time ago, living out in the wilderness of America, with no one for miles around it must’ve been very scary for settlers. However, does this apply now, do Americans need to hide behind the gun for protection, if so then something is sadly lacking in the laws of the land. 

However, do you really think that denying Americans the right to own a firearm will be a deterrent, you only have to look at the UK though to a lesser extent, if a nutter wanted to annihilate and kill? A few laws will not stop him. Look at Dunfermline and other places in the UK where a madman went berserk and killed innocent children and adults. 

Make it harder for them to buy firearms and take them out of the highstreets shops in America this might help. 

To be quite franked with you, thank goodness I live in the UK. There’s more chance of getting knocked over and killed by a bus, than by a gun.

Aduccembimb likes this

Notme - I just loved this name and Google searched it.  Ceasar Guerini Syren.  Is the gun on the opening page similar to the one you own?  It is indeed a beautifully crafted piece of hardware.

Tragically in Honolulu a road rage incident resulted in the death of a 31 year old young man who was also a single father.  A gun was involved.  A 72 year old retired firefighter has been arrested, and charged with 2nd degree murder.

Apparently a traffic incident of some sort prompted the young man to get out of his car, walk over to the older man's car, and punch him.  The older man responded by shooting him, running over him, fleeing the scene, and then barricading himself in his house for a couple of hours.  All of this had taken place in front of the younger man's children sitting in the back seat of the car.

Hawaii has, for the United States anyway, strict gun control laws.  For example, while there is a PCC (Permit to Carry Concealed) on the books and you can apply for one, you will never get it.  One has never been issued.

My friend was pulled over for a traffic violation after picking up food from a fast food place.  He had been skeet shooting at the range and had his guns in car.  The law states that you are allowed to transport your weapon directly to or from the range and, apparently stopping for a burger, is a violation of this law.  He received quite the scolding for this and could have been arrested. 

Apparently the shooter had a reputation in his neighborhood as there were comments that he "frightened them on many occasions with his behavior".

In spite of this, and other similar articles I am appreciative of the fact that, if I want to, I can lawfully own a firearm.  I believe there need to be some checks and balances in place.  Whether lawful or not, people that want guns will get them.  Even in countries with very strict laws, people get guns unlawfully and use them to commit crimes.

Certainly, the gun in this incident increases the shock factor but I have to comment that the younger man would still be alive had he not made several poor decisions.  It saddens me because the consequences should not have been getting shot but when you choose to actively engage another human being in an aggressive manner, that is the risk being taken.  It doesn't have to be a gun, you can be assaulted, stabbed, run over, etc.

So many times, in Hawaii, we try to turn the other cheek.  Let things go.  If someone cuts you off in traffic, just let it go and even wave to the person.  We all screw up. In this case, "Eh, no big ting", and the man would still be alive and with his children.

The man with the gun was clearly breaking the law by carrying a gun around in the car.  He should get life in prison.  The law on the books did not do anything to prevent this tragedy.  It can be argued that if this person did not have lawful access to a gun, he wouldn't be carrying one.  The reality is that if he wanted a gun, whether legal or not, he would have had one.  Just a stupid tragedy all the way around and just for something probably very stupid like being cut off in traffic. 

The gun in this story increases the emotion but if this person "just" ran over the other guy with his car, it should be no less tragic.  The gun was simply a tool.  A knife, tire iron, car, or any other force multiplier could have been used with the same lethal result.

Edited by meyery2k
janice21475 and Moonpie like this

My beautiful granddaughter learning how to shoot sporting clays.

4ff530ecb21cae331c301efccd323d4a_zpsz37p

This is what my Syren looks like. Took this one with me to Alaska to shoot.

IMG_3499_zps0qnibuza.png

janice21475, Dave_KC and meyery2k like this

I really understand everyone point of view on guns in general. But you have to understand that guns are only as dangerous as the hands they are in. If someone wants to do someone else harm, they will despite the tool of choice. The guy in Hawaii could just as easily pulled a knife or club. Rarely, will you find a legal gun owner even remotely thinking of hurting someone with their firearm. Mass casualties are caused by planes (deliberately flown into buildings), bombs, cars and chemicals. Taking legal gun owners guns and rights away is pretty absurd unless you ban all the other things as well. I can guarantee you that 99% of the gun related crimes are not done with a legally purchased and owned firearm.

Honestly, the gun rhetoric is tiring. Guns are not the problem. People are the problem. Let's ban those instead.

In the United States I am way more in fear of people driving while texting or reading Facebook than I am with the guy who has a legally owned gun in his possession.

meyery2k, princesslinda and Hammer like this

Love the pics.  While not liking guns, Kala acknowledged that having the safety course and introduction to guns was a beneficial experience.  She knows how to safely handle one should she choose to do so.

Is there any competitive shooting in your family?

My Grandfather shot skeet competitively in the 1930's.  He won several silver platters and a set of silver glasses of which I have posted a pic.  Guns have been in our family for generations.  I enjoy recreational use but simply don't care to own one at this time.

I realize I need to polish these cups but the hydrogen sulfide in the air from the volcanic emissions make this a fool's errand.  They quickly tarnish again after being polished.

Your shotgun is a beautiful piece of equipment.  As a technical person, I enjoy the beauty of a well engineered item.  

One bit of irony to this is that my friend owns an AK-47 which is lawfully modified to only shoot as a semi-automatic.  It is an ugly thing when you consider that it was built for one purpose. which is to kill other people in anger.  Not hunting, not recreation, only to kill the enemy.  On the other hand, it is a beautifully engineered machine that is rugged and simple to maintain.  It can withstand harsh conditions and be depended upon to fire when the trigger is pulled so I admit having a revulsion/attraction to this subject.  

post-58728-0-47893100-1488748184_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-76955500-1488748214_thumb.jpg

post-58728-0-42183100-1488748244_thumb.jpg

Seagal, Moonpie and janice21475 like this

This thread reminded me of one of the Alien movies; AVP: Alien vs Predator (2004). -During an archaeological expedition on Bouvetøya Island in Antarctica, a team of archaeologists and other scientists find themselves caught up in a battle between the two legends.-

When the group is about to debark from the research ship onto the island...two of the crew are gearing up and the team leader of the expedition makes a remark to one of her group (another lady) about the semi-automatic handgun she's shoving into her shoulder holster. The exchange goes like this:

Alexa (team leader): "Seven seasons on the ice and I've never seen a gun save someone's life."

Adele: "I don't plan on using it."

Alexa: "Then why bring it?"

Adele: "Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it...than need one and not have it!"

We all shoot competitively in fun tournaments. No Olympiads here. I do love my coaching lessons and love my coach. He is a Master class shooter that easily hits the 100 more often than not. He is sponsored by Guerini. My best unofficial score was a 91/100. My granddaughter will pass by me some day pretty quickly, I think. She is right now shooting for a trap team. I am not a fan of trap. My first love is sporting clays and then skeet. I am not a hunter. Can't shoot live things. I leave that to my son.

As you have probably figured, I am a fan of anything that goes bang. However, I am a bigger fan of safety first. My granddaughter will be corrected at any small mistake. First and foremost, know your target and what is beyond your target. There is no room for error. PERIOD!

I also love the old classic guns. I have a beautiful old Browning .20 gauge pidgeon. Circa 1960's sometime. My husband shoots an 1894 Parker side by side. Shoots amazing with a lighter load.

janice21475, Seagal and meyery2k like this

When George hosted our shooting day I remember how he said that there are no take backs once the trigger is pulled.  The bullet will go wherever the muzzle is pointed so you must always be aware of the direction of the muzzle in case of an accidental discharge.  You must be aware of what is behind the target and even around the target in case you miss before you depress the trigger. 

My Dad explained to me that guns that are not loaded will load themselves if they think you are careless.  While it sounds silly, I believe it.

I do agree that small mistakes can have large consequences.

I remember the first time my Dad let me shoot the shotgun.  He was shooting clay pigeons and I was the operator of the throwing machine.  He let me have a go.  12 gauge over and under.  I socked that stock snug into my shoulder, yelled "Pull!" mightily, sighted the pigeon, pulled the trigger to fire both barrels and found myself flat on my back looking straight up at the sky.  Needless to say the clay pigeon lived to fly another day.

Seagal, janice21475, notme and 1 other like this

My husband was born and raised in Wisconsin and went deer hunting many times.  He was taught at an early age to respect a gun for what it could do.  He still enjoys hunting although we live in a rural suburban area now and he no longer has a firearms card.  We would like to enjoy the pleasure of sitting in our back yard of a warm Summer evening.  But our neighbor has other ideas.  Every weekend, this guy practices target shooting all afternoon and evening and we have to listen to the noise he makes.  We have to hope that whatever firearm he is shooting is not capable of reaching the houses in our subdivision.  Definitely not what we wanted when we bought our house many years ago.  And don't suggest talking to him, he is stubborn and listens to no one.

Seagal, Moonpie and meyery2k like this

That would frustrate me also GrammaBear. Time and place is everything. Target practice really belongs at a range that is far removed from any suburban area. I would guess the danger isn't there unless he is shooting long range rifles, but you shouldn't have to put up with the noise every weekend. I would be pretty upset if I could not sit outside and hear the birds. Sadly, you are right. There is little you can do if he is within the law in the area and he is following local noise ordinances. He should just know better.

meyery2k, Moonpie, Seagal and 1 other like this

It is people that cannot compromise a little that ruin things for everybody.

Moonpie and Seagal like this

That would frustrate me also GrammaBear. Time and place is everything. Target practice really belongs at a range that is far removed from any suburban area. I would guess the danger isn't there unless he is shooting long range rifles, but you shouldn't have to put up with the noise every weekend. I would be pretty upset if I could not sit outside and hear the birds. Sadly, you are right. There is little you can do if he is within the law in the area and he is following local noise ordinances. He should just know better.

Whatever type of firearm the neighbor is using is loud because we can hear it inside our house when our windows are all closed.  My husband feels that it isn't a long range rifle just by the way it sounds.  However the neighborhood is adjacent to the Illinois Tollway I90/I94 and there is much traffic there both day and night.  I heard a program last night on television that made a comment to the effect of:  "you own that bullet the minute it leaves the barrel of your firearm and are responsible for any and all damage it does."  I shudder to think that IF it is a long distance rifle, that any of his bullets could reach one of the vehicles on the tollway.

meyery2k likes this

Well, I met my friend at the shooting range today, since it was a sunny day and not too cold for her.  I was anxious to try out my new handgun, but after shooting a lot of rounds through it, I was a bit disappointed with it.  It has a nice feel to it, it is accurate, and I know that Berettas are very durable and reliable, which is why I bought it, but the thing that I don't like is the length of the trigger pull....it's too long.  With my .40 cal. Beretta, the trigger pull is very slight, which I like, but with the Beretta Nano, you keep pulling and pulling, expecting it to fire, and by the time it finally does fire, my hands are shaking slightly, so I miss the area of the target that I was aiming at.  I still hit the target, but it was off center.  I know that handguns are not designed for long range accuracy, they are typically used in close quarters....maybe 15 feet or less, so at that range, I could hit my target, or close to my target. 

My friend brought a number of handguns to the range, and tried shooting from various positions, since we were the only two at the range at that time.  She does a pretty good job at hitting the targets, so I know she was happy with her accuracy.  

I guess I'll have to look for another handgun that has a shorter trigger pull, and if I find one that I like, I'll buy that one too, I mean, you can't have too many guns, right?

Just to mention to those who thought that I lived in a dangerous area, no I don't.  This is a very safe area, so I probably don't need a handgun....until I do.  Every dangerous area in the world was safe at one time, until it became dangerous.  To wait until the area becomes dangerous, then try to find someway to protect yourself, may be too late.  It's like closing the barn door after the horses got out.  There is nothing wrong with being prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best.  I hope I never have to use a handgun for protection, but if that situation should ever occur, at least I am prepared for it.

Seagal and meyery2k like this

Get a trigger job done on that Beretta, Hammer. I have a Kimber that has a long trigger pull and I got the trigger pull shortened on it. A long trigger pull can really mess with your accuracy. You tend to shoot to the left of the target as the muzzle pulls with your finger.

Seagal and meyery2k like this