Hammer

A gun thread...

256 posts in this topic

Get a trigger job done on that Beretta, Hammer. I have a Kimber that has a long trigger pull and I got the trigger pull shortened on it. A long trigger pull can really mess with your accuracy. You tend to shoot to the left of the target as the muzzle pulls with your finger.

In my case, since I am left handed, it pulls to the right.  I chatted with a gentleman from Gander Mountain, and I asked him what gun he thought would make for a good CCW (concealed carry weapon), and he recommended the Sig Sauer P938.  I think I might go to Gander Mountain and check them out.  He said that trying to modify the Beretta would void the warranty on the Beretta, so, maybe try the Sig and see how that feels?  The only downside would be, like the Beretta, I won't be able to shoot it until I take it to the shooting range, and considering that the Sig costs almost twice as much as the Beretta, I'd hate to buy it and find that I'm not satisfied with it.  Hmmm....what to do, what to do.....?  I guess if I buy it and I don't like it, well, that's just another gun to add to my growing arsenal.  I mean, while I may not be satisfied with a gun, that doesn't mean that I hate it.  They are still fun to shoot, even with their flaws.  I guess I could wear one concealed on my hip, and the other I could wear concealed on my ankle, although that might be a bit extreme.  I'm not expecting to run into a mob of rioters who would be threatening my life, but you never know... :)

In my case, since I am left handed, it pulls to the right.  I chatted with a gentleman from Gander Mountain, and I asked him what gun he thought would make for a good CCW (concealed carry weapon), and he recommended the Sig Sauer P938.  I think I might go to Gander Mountain and check them out.  He said that trying to modify the Beretta would void the warranty on the Beretta, so, maybe try the Sig and see how that feels?  The only downside would be, like the Beretta, I won't be able to shoot it until I take it to the shooting range, and considering that the Sig costs almost twice as much as the Beretta, I'd hate to buy it and find that I'm not satisfied with it.  Hmmm....what to do, what to do.....?  I guess if I buy it and I don't like it, well, that's just another gun to add to my growing arsenal.  I mean, while I may not be satisfied with a gun, that doesn't mean that I hate it.  They are still fun to shoot, even with their flaws.  I guess I could wear one concealed on my hip, and the other I could wear concealed on my ankle, although that might be a bit extreme.  I'm not expecting to run into a mob of rioters who would be threatening my life, but you never know... :)

If you get a P938 make sure to buy a couple 7 round mags for it if it comes with the 6 round one. Otherwise you will find it is not real comforable to shoot. The 6 round they come with is flush with the grips and is a 2  finger hold for most men. Some gunstore type ranges will rent a firearm to you so maybe see if you can try one out. We started out shooting +P in one with a 6 round mag  and not liking it. Changing to a 7 round mag made the difference . It is a nice gun.

Edited by Kenton
meyery2k likes this

I haven't been following this thread and decided to peek in.  Wow!  what a wonderful discussion of guns.  Thanks for all the information.

I inherited a couple of small handguns from my father and have no idea about either of them or even if they still fire.  They are certainly nothing special like you all have been discussing, but makes me want to take a class and learn how to use one, before they outlaw bullets in California.  One is a 38 and the other a 25 caliber.

Thanks again for the thread :)

meyery2k likes this

Kenton, the model I was looking at comes with the 7 round magazine.  I checked to see what an extra 7 round magazine costs and I was surprised!  I mean, $44 for a 7 round magazine is rather expensive.  Heck, the 11 round magazines for my .40 cal Beretta  that I ordered directly from Beretta, only cost $22, so I ordered 20 magazines from them.  The 20 magazines I ordered, plus the two that come with every Beretta, when fully loaded and placed in my very large range bag, along with an extra 50 rounds, plus the gun, makes for a very heavy range bag.  The reason I wanted to have that many magazines is because, if I go to the indoor range to shoot, you pay by the half hour, so I didn't want to waste time reloading.  If I decide to get the Sig, I'll only buy two more magazines, since I don't want to carry more than two spare magazines on me if I carry the Sig on me.

I am not really into handguns that much but I have a couple.  I have two .22 revolvers, a .32 semi-auto, and a mil-standard 1911 .45acp.  The sharp bark of the 1911, even outdoors, makes ear plugs a necessity.  I didn't expect that but I have mainly used long guns all my life and never suffered ear-piercing reports while firing any number of center-fire rifles or shotguns.  Standing off to the side while someone else fired a rifle is painful, but it doesn’t bother me that much when I am firing one.

I have a Marlin 336c 30-30 that I bought when I was 13 years old after a busy summer mowing lawns.  I have taken many deer with it during the course of my life. 

I recently picked up a Marlin lever action 45-70.  I did some target shooting with a friend's 45-70 several years ago and loved the fact that I could see the cigar sized bullet going through the filtered light under a bunch of oaks once it got about 75 yards out.  The filtered light created a strobe effect, and my follow-through was pretty good watching it through the scope.  Aside from just being a fun caliber to shoot, I hope to use the 45-70 to take feral hogs in the near future.  Yes, it is overkill, but why go looking for one when you can plant it right there?

I have a couple of .22 rifles, my favorite being a Remington Nylon 66.  It is a semi-automatic, light as a feather and has only jammed once in the 40+ years I have owned it....and I have sent thousands of rounds through it and harvested an awful lot of squirrels, raccoons, and rabbits with it.

i also have a nice 12 gauge Browning auto loader.  It is a sweet shooter!  

I also got into high dollar air rifles several years ago.  Mainly German and British made air rifles.  Since it is so difficult for their citizens to own true fire-arms they have engineered and built some marvelous air rifles that are great for hunting small game and backyard pest control.  And they are downright fun to target shoot with.

It is no exaggeration to say that guns outnumber humans by at least three to one in my community.  Almost every household has them and almost no household has just one.  Children are taught to respect them and when they are mature enough, how to handle them.   i worked with my grandson teaching him how to handle a gun when he got a Daisy Red Rider BB gun a couple of years ago.  When I was very young, probably 6 years old, my father would take me out in the field with me carrying a pop-gun.  I had to treat it just like a loaded rifle and I was explicitly taught to never point a gun (loaded or unloaded) at anything unless I intended to kill it.  I can remember getting in trouble for pointing that pop-gun at a circling hawk.  My Dad asked me, "Are you trying to kill that hawk?".  I said, "No".  He said, "Then point that gun at the ground and don't you ever point it at something again unless you intended to kill it."  

Edited by Ed B
meyery2k, Seagal and princesslinda like this

Well obviously the constitution needs modernising in relation to firearms in the sates. I can understand why it was introduced, a long time ago, living out in the wilderness of America, with no one for miles around it must’ve been very scary for settlers. However, does this apply now, do Americans need to hide behind the gun for protection, if so then something is sadly lacking in the laws of the land. 

However, do you really think that denying Americans the right to own a firearm will be a deterrent, you only have to look at the UK though to a lesser extent, if a nutter wanted to annihilate and kill? A few laws will not stop him. Look at Dunfermline and other places in the UK where a madman went berserk and killed innocent children and adults. 

Make it harder for them to buy firearms and take them out of the highstreets shops in America this might help. 

To be quite franked with you, thank goodness I live in the UK. There’s more chance of getting knocked over and killed by a bus, than by a gun.

I'm confused by your statement, "....do you really think that denying Americans the right to own a firearm will be a deterrent".  Are you saying that you agree with me that we should own a firearm?  Yes, if you deny anyone the right to own a firearm, it will not be a deterrent, so why deny law abiding citizens the right to own a firearm?

The refugee crisis that is plaguing Western Europe, and is slowly coming to the US, is bad for Western Europe, but here in the states, what is happening over there will never happen here because the citizens of the US are armed, which is not the case with Western Europe.  We are ready to protect ourselves with guns...lots of guns.  What are you going to use to protect yourself?

In no particular order, my two cents' worth:

... there was a mass shooting in a movie theater here in the states....how many of those people would be dead today, if every one of those victims was armed?  How about that mass shooting in Paris if everyone there had been armed?  You see, criminals will have access to guns and may try to kill you, but what if the victims were also armed?  Taking guns away from law abiding people, only harms the law abiding people, not the criminals.  I want to make sure that I don't become a victim.

How many would be dead? I think more. That of course assumes that gun carrying people do not have excellent marksmanship and excellent eyesight in a dark movie theater or in a confused environment such as a concert stadium or football stadium. So, please tell me that excellent marksmanship and 20/20 visual acuity in the dark and with moving targets are requirements to own and carry a gun.

While I live in a peaceful area, I frequently travel to other areas that are not so safe, so how can I protect myself?....a gun is how.

For those of you here who are against guns, let me ask you a question....if someone tried to break into your house, or if someone tried to attack you on the street, what would you do to protect yourself?  If you had a gun, you could easily protect yourself, but if you didn't have a gun because you were against guns, what would you do?  I hear people say that they had a relative or friend who was hurt with a hand gun that was accidental.  Okay, how many people accidentally cut themselves with a knife?  I have accidentally cut myself many times with a knife, so am I against knives?  No, because knives, like guns, aren't dangerous unless used improperly.  If a person who owns guns acts responsibly, he/she is no danger to others, and in fact, might help to protect others if someone tried to hurt others.

When you travel, please do not visit where I live.

Are guns the only things you have to protect yourselves? While I now live in a relatively safer environment, I grew up in a generally dangerous city in a poor, developing country. I've also visited cities which are considered violent and dangerous. I learned to defend myself and minimize the incidents of being a victim of violent crimes. If you think that guns are the only things that can protect you, I shake my head in your lack of imagination.  

... but here in the states, this country became great because of guns.  ... we survived numerous wars because of guns, so our culture here in the US has always been gun dependent, which is due to the second amendment that guarantees our right to own firearms, so why the backlash of owning guns?  Sure, guns can kill people, knives can kill people, cars can kill people, but people only speak out against guns and not anything else that can kill them....why don't they speak out against anything else that can kill them?

I didn't realize that the US became great because of guns. I thought it was because of the men and women who were were inventors and scientists, the hardworking people (including slaves) that built your plantations, railroads, roads, factories and cities, education, decency, morals, and many other important things that build a community and a nation. I guess I'm dead wrong.

What numerous wars did the US survive because of guns in the US? I'm aware of the American Revolutionary War against the Brits (as you said, you won your independence because you owned guns), the Civil War, and the many, many wars/battles against Native Americans. Did I miss any?

If you are referring to wars outside the US, well like many other colonizers (UK, France, etc.), you waged wars to colonize. Coming from a colonized country, I don't share your pride in "surviving" those wars because of your guns.

You are equating your gun with a knife or a car? Yes, many things can kill, including our hands. But how many of those things have values other than maiming or killing others (whether animals or people)? How many of those other things can maim or kill others at a vastly higher rate than guns especially automatic or semi-automatic ones?

Anyway, I think that the issue is not that people are against gun ownership (at least from my own perspective). The issue is the ease with which guns are available in your country, the desire to loosen up any semblance of requirements to make gun ownership safer than it currently is in your country, and the mentality that guns are a necessity. I'm responding not because I want to take your guns away from your hands but because some of the things you mentioned in your posts are based on false premises and false equivalence.

One last thing, refugees are not plagues. Yes, please build your wall and stay behind it.

I'm so done here. Goodbye.

Edited by Caravaggio
adiantum, Moonpie and buddy7 like this

I am so sad to see this thread go in this direction. Caravaggio, I respect your position on guns and gun ownership. We all must decide for ourselves how we react to any subject matter that deals with hot topics. I wish the world in general, was a safer place to dwell. If people weren't inclined to hurt others in any way, I would be a happy person. But, people are people and there are good and there are evil.

Guns really are not as easy as you think to own in the United States. The rhetoric on the very biased news stations is skewed to many who hear or read how guns are obtained. Most states at the very least register guns or take an id when they are sold. Some states are much more difficult like Massachusetts and New York and California. There really is no "gun show" loophole. I cannot go to the state of Nevada and buy a gun nor to Idaho and purchase a gun. As soon as I show my California ID, I am compelled to register through a licensed FFL to purchase or they will just refuse me altogether. There is a ten day waiting period and a background check is done.

Guns that are used for criminal activity generally are stolen or illegally obtained. There is no trace of the rightful owner.

As far as refuges go, I absolutely do not think they are a plague. My sister-in-law is from Mexico City and she worked hard to become a legal citizen. She works for a living, cares for elderly family members and pays taxes. I am so happy she is here and I love her dearly. However, we do need to make it harder for people to enter our country and if they do they need legal status to be here. The immigration population in my sanctuary state is driving me broke. My husband and I will have to leave our state to retire in another state away from my family in order to be able to live and pay taxes on a fixed income. Sweden, Japan, Denmark, Libya and Iran are just a few of the countries with very tight borders. Immigrating to these countries is tough. Why should the US be different?

The Constitution of our country gives us the right to bear arms and protect our families against enemies both foreign and domestic. There is no doubt this holds true today as it did in the 1700's. The types of guns owned in the 1700's were state of the art for their times and were capable of great damage. Today they are more advanced but the reason still stays the same. Yes, there will always be evil doers. They will shoot us, blow us up and chop off heads. They are evil. I do not condone evil under any circumstance. Hitler banned guns as one of his first laws in starting his evil empire. Take people's rights away, make them dependent on the government and fear.

I respect anyone's rights not to own a gun. I respect the fact that some people don't agree with gun ownership. Ever country is different on this subject. But, this is our country and until the laws are changed or the Constitution is thrown out, our rights must stay intact. I would never dream of going to another country and telling them they are doing everything wrong.

Like I said Caravaggio, I respect you and your opinions. I hope you can understand that this in one subject that everyone feels strongly about and we just have to accept that and move on.

pcramer1, SallyW, Kenton and 3 others like this

Caravaggio, every one of the law abiding citizens that I know of who own guns have all taken safety classes on handling guns, myself included.  They all also frequently go to a shooting range to improve their shooting accuracy.  They don't just go buy a gun and stick it in their belt....that would be insane.

Yes, I have guns for personal protection, but, like a lot of people, we also use those same guns for recreation...target shooting, shooting clays, and hunting (which I don't care for).  The handguns I have, also come with glow in the dark sights, so that you can see where the gun is pointed in a dark room.

You said that you learned other ways to protect yourself...really?  How would you protect yourself if someone pulled a gun on you?  In this country, many criminals have guns, so law abiding citizens need guns to keep from getting killed.

Yes, the US did become great because of guns.  Like you said, the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, the Mexican-American War, were all examples of that.  Without guns, this country wouldn't exist. 

I created this thread so that those of us who own guns and enjoy shooting them for sport, had a thread where we could talk about our guns and discuss what types of shooting we enjoy using our guns for.  I didn't want to debate whether or not guns are good or bad...that would be a totally different topic.  I like having guns, and I enjoy shooting them at the range, so for the most part, my guns are for my enjoyment of shooting them at the range, not for killing someone.  The personal protection aspect of owning my guns is only a part of why I want to own them, it's not the only reason that I own them.  I am 64 years old, I have arthritis in both shoulders, both elbows and my feet, and a herniated disk in my lower back.  If some thug tried to rob me or harm me, how would you suggest that I protect myself?  This isn't Japan, this is the US, and there are many thugs out there who would do me harm.  A gun is an excellent equalizer for someone in my condition.

Java and pcramer1 like this

Kenton, I ended up buying the Sig P938 today, as well as a number of other things.  When I held the Sig and felt it fit perfectly in my hand, then saw the short trigger pull, I knew it was a gun I wanted, so I bought it.  I really like the size and weight of this gun, so it will most likely be my concealed carry weapon of choice.  It also came with a small holster, which was nice.  I also picked up two laser boresights....one for 9mm, and one for .40 cal.  I tried the 9mm in both the Beretta Nano and the P938, and it indicated that both guns were slightly off.  It showed that when I aimed at the target, the bullet would go slightly off to the right.  That explains why my shots always seem to hit the target, off to the right.  I really like this gun... :)

Nice, I have a Sig P226 9MM  Tacops that I kept in my vehicle after my work decided to relocate us to a place that was not real safe. The local Newspapers called the area around it the epicenter of the heroin epidemic. We found two dead people ( gang related  )  behind the property over the last few years. one of the ofther guys was hit on the head and robbed, we constantly had break ins etc. Now that I am retired it is stored in a safe place and may get dropped off at the local gunstore for consignment. I have 2 rifles which is what I really enjoy shooting, one a 10-22 that I have done mods to for Appleseeds and a ghost gun or black scary rifle that I sometimes take. That one I bought an 80% AR15 lower for and milled it out in my shop and built up a very accurate rifle.  I thought about getting the P938 but passed as the P226 was enough.

If I remember right the holster that came with the P938 was a small kydex one you might consider looking at the Remora holsters if you decide to pocket carry it.

Also, boresights are to just get you on paper, after that you need to spend a little time fine tuning them at the range. I have a Sitelite Mag laser boresighter that fits all three of mine and even though it is considered one of the top boresights it still is just to get me on paper.

Edited by Kenton

You said that you learned other ways to protect yourself...really?  How would you protect yourself if someone pulled a gun on you?  In this country, many criminals have guns, so law abiding citizens need guns to keep from getting killed.

I don't think that's a good analogy...thinking that if you carry a gun it's going to protect you if someone else pulls a gun on you. If you think you can get to your gun faster than someone pointing a gun at you can shoot you...you've been watching too many Dodge City westerns.

Moonpie likes this

I don't think that's a good analogy...thinking that if you carry a gun it's going to protect you if someone else pulls a gun on you. If you think you can get to your gun faster than someone pointing a gun at you can shoot you...you've been watching too many Dodge City westerns.

That is true, but what I was getting at is that, if someone pulls a gun....or a knife on you, how would you protect yourself?  If you have a gun on you, the thug wouldn't know that, so if they tried to hurt you or rob you, they wouldn't be expecting you to have a gun.  That element of surprise is all you'd need to pull a gun and shoot them.  I remember watching the last John Wayne movie, "The Shootist", where he was stopped by a thug out in the country who wanted to rob him.  The thug was standing beside his horse, and demanded that John Wayne give him his wallet.  John Wayne obeyed, reached into his inside coat pocket, showed the thug his wallet, then threw it to the thug, but behind his wallet, he had a derringer.  When he threw his wallet to the thug, the thug was distracted when he tried to catch the wallet, and John Wayne shot him.

Another thing to keep in mind...if you see someone who is suspicious, pull out your gun and keep it hidden behind you.  If the person is just an innocent pedestrian, no harm done, but if they try to attack you, you have your gun in hand, ready to defend yourself.  It seems that, in most of these robberies/murders of innocent people, the thug has his/her gun out as they approach the victim.  If you stay alert to your surroundings and see this thug, you have enough advanced warning that they mean to do you harm.  That gives you enough time to draw your gun and hide it behind you to see what the thug tries to do.

Yes, I realize that you might get killed doing that, but in today's world, the thug will most likely kill you anyway.  By having a gun, you at least have a chance to keep from being killed.  I'll take my chances having a gun, than not having a gun.

pcramer1 likes this

Keeping a gun is probably a good idea if you live in a dangerous area or rural with no cop back up. However, I think taking a gun to a movie house on the off chance some nut is going to shoot the place up, is overkill. There must be over a hundred thousand movies showings across the country, on a daily basis. How many shootings have there been? So on a maybe one in a billion chance, someone take s a gun in??? That is paranoia gone wild. Of course that is my opinion, 

I shot a gun once, a g/fs hubby was an avid shooter, & he insisted on taking us out into the woods to shoot at soda cans, It was fun, but not enough to do again, Of course I did not like him much anyhow, He was a tad violent for me. He shot anything that moved, just for fun ( I only belive in killing for food) & he wasn't that kind or gentle with his wife either.

adiantum, meyery2k, macksvicky and 1 other like this

My last word on this. Hammer, I think I get why you feel you need to pack. Your choice. Listen, I grew up in a very violent neighborhood in San Francisco during the '40s/'50's. We lived in between the Fillmore district (black) and the Mission district (Mexican). The only white family on the block. When I was 11 I started carrying what was called a zip gun. That's a homemade gun that shot .22 long rifles. One shot...but one shot was all you needed. I pretty much fought my way to school every day. You'd be surprised how many other guys in your neighborhood knew you were packing a mayonnaise sandwich and half an apple to school every day. What you see in the movies is never, let me say that again, never how it happens in real life. It's complete chaos, fumbling and adrenaline until it's over.

From 1963 until I was medevaced out of Vietnam in 1967 I served as a Special Forces Advisor with the 5th Special Forces. I trained South Vietnamese to protect themselves. We lost a lot of south Vietnamese for the simple reason that training a man with a gun is one thing; in the moment, in the chaos...there's a hesitation...and that's what gets you killed.

The last time I had a gun in my hand was July 14th, 1967. I've pretty much outlived everyone I've ever known without one. I do, however, carry a Buck 120 General on my belt...just in case some sweet lady invites me over for a tough-to-cut steak.   ;) 

macksvicky, pcramer1, Hammer and 1 other like this

OneEye, yes, I completely agree with you on the stress of being confronted by someone who also has a gun, but the thing is....at least in my case, I don't get excited about anything.  I have a completely different outlook on everything.  If a private plane were to crash into my house, it wouldn't excite me, I'd just get up and walk out of the house.  Nothing can make me nervous, anxious, whatever, because, from the age of about 5, I inadvertently programmed myself to not feel anything.  Now that I am 64, that programming is so well ingrained in me that nothing gets to me.  Heck, my mom died last August, and, as much as she meant to me, I didn't feel anything....I still don't, because I can't.  I don't feel emotions like normal people do.  That's what the programming I did to myself resulted in.  I wanted to feel something, but I couldn't.  I don't expect anyone to understand how this is possible, but believe me, it is.

If you didn't read my post about this that I posted some time ago, when I was a kid, I noticed that whenever my parents would take us to a beach, amusement park, carnival, whatever, as we got close to the place, my brother would spot the beach or whatever, and point at it and say, "There it is!  I can see it over there!"  That would get me excited, but when I got excited, it upset my stomach.  I'd tell my parents that I needed to go to the bathroom, so they'd have to stop somewhere so that I could use the bathroom.  I noticed that when I got excited, my stomach would get upset, so, at that young age, I decided to try to not get excited.  The first time I tried it was when we went to the beach.  As soon as my brother saw the beach and pointed at it and said, "There it is over there!"  I told myself to remain calm....don't get excited, and low and behold, my stomach didn't get upset.  From that day on, I consciously made an effort to not get excited about anything, and that worked well for me.  After a number of years of consciously doing this, it became automatic....I didn't have to consciously try to do it, it just happened.  The downside of this is that ANYTHING that might excite me was blocked, so I began to notice that I never got excited about anything.  What that entails is that, all emotions can cause some type of excitement, good or bad, so my subconscious blocks any type of emotion that most people feel.  Since I don't feel much in the way of emotions, it was replaced with logic, or at least, the best logic that a person can come up with.  It's because of this that I try to look at things logically, not emotionally.  To me, stress is not an option, since I don't feel stress.  I also don't ever feel happy, sad....nothing.  I just live on an even keel.  I have been told that I come across as being a cold person, and they are right....I am a cold person because I don't feel anything inside.

So, to get back to the original topic, if I was confronted by someone else who had a gun and intended to do me harm, I would either shoot them, or they would shoot me.  Either way, I wouldn't care, because logic tells me that one, or both of us, might get shot, and the outcome is inevitable.

Aduccembimb and pcramer1 like this

edited out

never mind

We all know your packen-heat baby....remove the "edit" and say what you wanted to say!!

My cousin from S.Philly carried a ZIP gun. It was made from a piece of wood,a metal tube,rubber bands and a nail. It was a 22 cal. and it fired every time. It was for defense only and since it was KNOWN that he carried it, most trouble makers would stay away from him.

Hammer, meyery2k, OneEye and 1 other like this

well, i have been working hard on not saying *everything* that is on my mind, so that's why i deleted what i had typed

i hate the guilty feeling i get if i say something snarky that didn't need to be said....i am trying to grow as a human being

:)

and i have never heard of a ZIP gun - sounds painfully effective

meyery2k, pcramer1, macksvicky and 1 other like this

I also don't ever feel happy, sad....nothing.

Can I ask why you started a thread for humor? Laughing tends to be, partially, an emotional response.

My cousin from S.Philly carried a ZIP gun. It was made from a piece of wood,a metal tube,rubber bands and a nail. It was a 22 cal. and it fired every time. It was for defense only and since it was KNOWN that he carried it, most trouble makers would stay away from him.

There was a guy in Jr. High who was your typical future-inventer. Always getting picked on at lunch time out in the yard. We were in gym class in the locker room getting into our gym clothes and I see this guy pull out his ZIP gun and stick it in his locker. Never figured this guy for packin'. Asked him if I could see it. The gun had a wood base, used a ¾" lead pipe with a pipe cap on the end and fuses hanging out of the end of the cap. I asked him how it worked.

He said that he had 3 Red Devil firecrackers with their fuses coming out a drilled hole in the cap; he then put BBs into the lead pipe barrel; then a wad of paper to hold the BBs in. When he wanted to fire it...he'd light the fuse and point it. I laughed!

"Whatchu laughin' at?"

"Well, when somebody sees you point that thing at them and then you light the fuse...what do you think they're gonna do...just stand there?!"

Basically, it was a good idea. A nice, hand-held blunderbuss. Scatter a buncha taunters. The firing mechanism...needin' a little work.

pcramer1 and ran23 like this

Can I ask why you started a thread for humor? Laughing tends to be, partially, an emotional response.

That is a good question Gretcho.  I find that if I can make someone laugh, they forget their troubles for a few seconds, so I always try to make other people laugh.  I have been doing that since I was a kid, and I have continued to do that as I got older.  Myself, I don't laugh at much, because it takes something really funny to even get me to smile.  I started that thread to make others laugh, not me, but if someone posts something in that thread that makes me smile, well, that's good.  I do find lots of things that are amusing to me, but I rarely laugh at them.  When a person hears something that they think is funny, it lightens their mood for a bit.  It makes them feel happy, to some extent.  To me, that's what humor is all about...making others feel happy.

An example of what I say when the situation comes up....Someone will get angry over something, and say, "Jesus Christ!"  I'll quickly respond by saying: "I know him!  He goes to my church!  I think he sits up front."  Every time I respond like that, everyone laughs, because they realize how uninformed you must be to think that...that's what makes it funny.  In that brief moment, they forgot about their troubles and laughed....that made them happy for a brief period of time. :)

meyery2k likes this

This was the typical zip gun that I knew of.  Some of them were made from transistor radio antennas, where the base of the antenna held the .22 cal. bullet, and the top of the antenna had the rubber bands attached.  You pulled back the top of the antenna, aimed the base of the antenna with the bullet in it at something, then let go of the top of the antenna, and the rubber bands would drive the top of the antenna against the bullet and shoot it.

meyery2k and pcramer1 like this