Hammer

A gun thread...

256 posts in this topic

I have an 1970's Colt SP-1 20" rifle with scope.   Adding the 16" upper will make it easier to handle in tight spots, and no collapsible stock is needed.   what every 63 yr old needed.  

On 2/10/2018 at 9:32 PM, OneEye said:

Just an insight into this, Hammer. First, weed affects everyone different. I've smoked weed for over 50+ years and trust me...the term "impaired" isn't what I would call the affect. Drunk...IS impaired...if you're going to try and compare the two.

Pretty much...everything we do affects us. . I'm not defending weed, I'm just saying that whatever we do affects us in different ways. 

It’s not often I make it a point to jump on every occasion on what has been posted on the board unless of course, I’ve found it rather interesting

So, if I’m kind of partial to my morning cup of tea with my breakfast, are you saying this would have an effect on us?

So what’s your opinion on your state of health, after smoking weed for over 50 years? Personally, I’ve never taken the stuff, “WEED”, just found it amazing how your body can withstand the number of years smoking something, which in my opinion is horrendously foreign to the body, from what you’re saying, “Pretty much...everything we do affects us”.

Sorry, don’t mean to be intrusive.

Quote: "So, if I’m kind of partial to my morning cup of tea with my breakfast, are you saying this would have an effect on us?"

If it didn't have an effect on you...you wouldn't be drinking it.

Quote: "So what’s your opinion on your state of health, after smoking weed for over 50 years?"

I seem to be a lot healthier than anyone else my age. Other than having to watch my carbohydrate intake...I have no other health issues.

Quote: "Personally, I’ve never taken the stuff, “WEED”, just found it amazing how your body can withstand the number of years smoking something, which in my opinion is horrendously foreign to the body, from what you’re saying, “Pretty much...everything we do affects us”."

Let's be clear here. I smoked two packs a day of Camel regulars for 40 years until I quit 20 years ago. My last chest x-ray the doctors say there's no evidence I've ever smoked cigarettes. When I say I've smoked "weed" for 50 years...that doesn't mean I chain-smoke weed...it means literally that that's how long I've been smoking it. I'm not short of breath; I don't wheeze when I breathe; I don't have a "smoker's cough". Oddly...the lungs have a natural tolerance for foreign substances. 

My grandfather smoked cigars and drank whiskey all day long. He died at the age of 102 when I was 15. My father died at the age of 101...he smoked all his life but quit drinking at the age of 50. Suffice to say...I might still be in my prime! ;)

Edited by OneEye
edited for speling
buddy7, meyery2k and Hammer like this

I remember an old saying that I heard many years ago..."No matter badly a person abuses their body, it will still last them a lifetime.":D

stevenal likes this

12 hours ago, OneEye said:

Quote: "So, if I’m kind of partial to my morning cup of tea with my breakfast, are you saying this would have an effect on us?"

If it didn't have an effect on you...you wouldn't be drinking it.

Quote: "So what’s your opinion on your state of health, after smoking weed for over 50 years?"

I seem to be a lot healthier than anyone else my age. Other than having to watch my carbohydrate intake...I have no other health issues.

Quote: "Personally, I’ve never taken the stuff, “WEED”, just found it amazing how your body can withstand the number of years smoking something, which in my opinion is horrendously foreign to the body, from what you’re saying, “Pretty much...everything we do affects us”."

Let's be clear here. I smoked two packs a day of Camel regulars for 40 years until I quit 20 years ago. My last chest x-ray the doctors say there's no evidence I've ever smoked cigarettes. When I say I've smoked "weed" for 50 years...that doesn't mean I chain-smoke weed...it means literally that that's how long I've been smoking it. I'm not short of breath; I don't wheeze when I breathe; I don't have a "smoker's cough". Oddly...the lungs have a natural tolerance for foreign substances. 

My grandfather smoked cigars and drank whiskey all day long. He died at the age of 102 when I was 15. My father died at the age of 101...he smoked all his life but quit drinking at the age of 50. Suffice to say...I might still be in my prime! ;)

Look! Thanks very much for your remarkable reply, intrigue, yes, with your approved appraisal of the family analogies. My dear fellow at 75 you have done remarkable good health-wise, puts you at the top of the tree. Given the chance, do tell us how you manage to keep such good health.

I’m 74 I do my utmost not to abuse my body, but no way I’m that fit, you’ve done well, do send us the remedy.:D

Incidentally, appreciate the response outstanding, completely taken your points.

ran23 likes this

58 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I remember an old saying that I heard many years ago..."No matter badly a person abuses their body, it will still last them a lifetime.":D

Very funny Hammer!:D

9 hours ago, buddy7 said:

Given the chance, do tell us how you manage to keep such good health.

In all candor...I can only say that it has to be genes ... as I've treated my body as if it were a rental. I will say that I've followed my mother's advice in my later years: 'All things to moderation'. Which was contrary to my grandfather's mantra, "If it's worth doing...it's worth overdoing!" My family...always a conflict of philosophies but...never a dull moment.

I will say that longevity may be a bit overrated in my case. I've buried just about everybody I've ever known. <_<

ran23, adiantum and buddy7 like this

"I will say that longevity may be a bit overrated in my case. I've buried just about everybody I've ever known. <_<"

I always thought growing up would take longer. . . . :rolleyes:

TX_Clint and Orlando like this

Well, Hammer! Once again this evil has reared its ugly head, Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida another sad day for the USA as another mass shooting unveils, that will probably touch the hearts of the community and people all over. When will this ever end? What more can you tell us?

3 hours ago, buddy7 said:

Well, Hammer! Once again this evil has reared its ugly head, Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida another sad day for the USA as another mass shooting unveils, that will probably touch the hearts of the community and people all over. When will this ever end? What more can you tell us?

17 killed and 15 injured and many more traumatized because a 17 year old had access to a gun and decided to shoot up his high school. The USA is about the only developed country that does not have some sort of gun control and the rifle association wants to keep it that way. There are more shootings in the USA than in any other peaceful country.

I'm going to weigh in on this gun thread only once. I know I'll get things like people kill people not guns. That's the rhetoric of those that think complete access to guns should be allowed. I'm not against responsible gun ownership or hunting or skeet shooting or target practice or any other recreational pursuit of gun owners. My husband was a hunter and so is my son and his kids are joining him now.

What I am against is free access to guns and even assault rifles. In the USA any one can walk in off the street and buy a gun. I'm not advocating people give up their guns. Just that it becomes more difficult to buy a gun. How about a law that says you have to store your guns under lock and key and one that requires a form to fill out and scrutiny of that form and of the person wishing to own a gun. It seems to me both those laws would cut down on shootings. Of course it wouldn't stop those who buy illegal guns but it would stop some killings and a life saved is wonderful.

One more thought and I'm done--The only way things will change is if people get tried of their kids dying and force change. I've thrown in my 2 cents. I am concerned but it's none of my business really. I live in a country that has gun control and I'm glad of it.

Orlando, buddy7 and Fraser like this

5 hours ago, dowling gram said:

17 killed and 15 injured and many more traumatized because a 17 year old had access to a gun and decided to shoot up his high school. The USA is about the only developed country that does not have some sort of gun control and the rifle association wants to keep it that way. There are more shootings in the USA than in any other peaceful country.

I'm going to weigh in on this gun thread only once. I know I'll get things like people kill people not guns. That's the rhetoric of those that think complete access to guns should be allowed. I'm not against responsible gun ownership or hunting or skeet shooting or target practice or any other recreational pursuit of gun owners. My husband was a hunter and so is my son and his kids are joining him now.

What I am against is free access to guns and even assault rifles. In the USA any one can walk in off the street and buy a gun. I'm not advocating people give up their guns. Just that it becomes more difficult to buy a gun. How about a law that says you have to store your guns under lock and key and one that requires a form to fill out and scrutiny of that form and of the person wishing to own a gun. It seems to me both those laws would cut down on shootings. Of course it wouldn't stop those who buy illegal guns but it would stop some killings and a life saved is wonderful.

One more thought and I'm done--The only way things will change is if people get tried of their kids dying and force change. I've thrown in my 2 cents. I am concerned but it's none of my business really. I live in a country that has gun control and I'm glad of it.

Thanks very much DG for bringing me up to speed on once again another mass shooting, within the USA, a burning issue that’s destroying lives and their communities, some outstanding points in your post.

As the day went by, we’re now getting full media coverage in the UK.

Again I thank you, for you explicit thoughts.

In order to buy a gun in the US, you need to fill out forms to have a background check done on you.  Depending on the state, they call the State Police and give them the information that's on the form.  The State Police check to see if you have a criminal record.  In some states, this can be an instant background check, in other states there is a waiting period, like seven days, before you are cleared to buy a gun.  You are also asked questions regarding your mental health and if you use drugs.  If you lie on the form, there are harsh penalties.  No one can just walk into a gun shop and buy a gun.  Every time I bought a gun, they had to do a background check on me.

It's responsible gun owners that are always threatened when some nut case goes on a shooting spree.  In the Florida case, the guy was 19 years old that did the shooting, and he was 18 years old when he bought his guns, but in his case, he had mental health issues, constantly being disruptive in class, which was why he was expelled from that school.  Oh, and responsible gun owners keep their guns locked up in a gun safe.

What people rarely hear about is the fact that if it wasn't so difficult to get a concealed carry permit in some states, then how many armed responsible citizens could have prevented shootings like this?  I mean, I am sure that there were teachers in that school that owned guns, and were responsible gun owners.  If they were allowed to conceal carry their guns, they could have stopped that maniac, but instead, the people cry out for more strict laws, laws that criminals ignore, but law abiding citizens are forced to comply with, making it harder for them to protect themselves and others around them.  The old saying still applies, "If you banned all the guns, only the criminals would have guns."

I am a member of US Law Shield, which is an organization that is on call and ready to represent you 24/7, in the event you are involved in a gun incident, and that includes, just raising your shirt to show a gun.  This organization has a monthly newsletter that I get, that has articles about people who were able to defend themselves in various situations, simply because they had a gun on them, or nearby.  A lot of those people would be dead today, if they hadn't owned a gun.  Those type of stories don't make the national news, so no one ever hears about them.

As for gun control, we have gun control, we don't need more gun laws, they just need to enforce the existing gun laws.

Edited by Hammer
OneEye and ran23 like this

One last thing that I don't think that some people are aware of....this guy had an assault rifle, which is a rifle that reloads itself, but you have to pull the trigger each time to fire one bullet.  I think that when people hear assault rifle, they are thinking that it's something like a fully automatic gun, like a machine gun, and it's not.  He had an AR-15....there's also the AK-47....the M1A (which is what I have), and several other types of similar rifles.  These rifles can not be used for hunting because they are semi-automatic rifles, they can only be used for target shooting.  The AR-15 and the AK-47 are fairly light, whereas the M1A is heavy, and would be difficult to carry around.  If my M1A didn't have a bipod, I'd have a difficult time trying to hold it up because of my arthritis.

Ya cant blame the world for seeing this as Americans are culling again.

300 mass shootings in 3 years...18 so far this year.

Is there just little value on life or are your shooters not coping with their stress?

Even one of our much loved members that has been on enormous stress that they  see it so funny that relief could be gained by killing the masses.

Of course there should be a control on guns. If your having even the slightest of mental health issues then you should not have a gun.

Taking sleeping tablets or anti depressants............. these are mental health issues.

When one of your own has been included in the cull perhaps you will do something about it.

buddy7, Fraser and Orlando like this

I have no doubt in Florida today, after their grief and loss, the carnage and they bereavement burying they dead at some time, Florida, will pull together again, while the politicians argue among their selves, and await the next mass shooting and nothing will be done.

Which brings me to my point, as the families are still trying to pick up the pieces of this awful scourge of an atrocity while the world mourns over this mass killing at the Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida, when are the USA going to seriously sort to introduce some very strict legislation to avoid people getting their hands on these guns that once again are causing human suffering where lives are lost? And stop hiding behind their wretched 2nd amendment gun law to the United States Constitution the right to keep and bear arms, as I often said it’s outdated and draconian.

The politicians should start listening, no one on earth wants to send their child/children to school/college and be called during that day because of the fear of your children being caught up in yet another mass shooting. This is appalling. Just tears communities apart.

I realize that this is a hot topic issue, but it always comes down to the same issue....guns don't kill people, people kill people.  How many people die from car crashes every year?  Are we going to ban cars?  How many people die from drug overdoses every year?  It's not guns that are the problem, it's people that are the problem.  Look at how many people died on 9/11....were any guns involved?  No, the terrorists used airplanes.  How about the people that were injured when a terrorist drove a truck into a school bus in New York, in October of 2017?  It isn't the weapon that is the problem, it's the people that are the problem, so don't take away the guns of law abiding, responsible gun owners, because they might someday save your life because they are carrying a gun.

I also understand that people in other countries don't understand the gun mentality of a lot of us here in the US, but gun owners here are concerned that they might need their guns for protection.  Sure, there can be nut cases that can slip through the cracks, like this idiot in Florida, but that doesn't mean that the government should tie the hands of those of us who are responsible gun owners.

To those of you in other countries, let me ask you this....if you were allowed to carry a gun on you, probably a concealed gun, if you had that gun on you, and some nut job starting shooting, would you be glad that you have a gun on you to protect yourself, and others around you, or would you rather hide somewhere, and hope that the shooter didn't find you and shoot you? 

Here in the US, there is no way that the government can remove all of the guns that are out there.  There are hundreds of millions of guns that the people have in this country, and none of us are willing to give up our guns, simply because nut jobs like this idiot in Florida went berserk.  We want to have the ability to protect ourselves, and our families from idiots like this, and taking away our guns only makes us more vulnerable to idiots like this. 

I like having guns....it makes me feel safe, because if someone broke into my house, I have a gun nearby to protect myself.  To those of you that don't own guns, how would you feel if someone broke into your house?  Would you feel safe?

buddy7 likes this

I'm as pro second amendment as anyone.... but this kid seems like a poster child for someone who should not have been able to legally buy a gun.  It makes my teeth itch when I hear a politician use a term like 'common sense gun control'... sounds great... until you realize that their common sense may not be your common sense.  That said though there are at least three things that I think should have prevented him from buying a gun.

1.  History of mental health issues. 
  2. Police called to his house 29 times over 7 years.
  3. 17 years old.  No one mentions this... but if you can't buy cigs or lottery tickets, maybe you shouldn't be able to purchase a gun either.

I also don't buy the argument that you can buy a gun anywhere if a store won't sell one to you.  Maybe that's true if you're an inner city gang-banger.  But for us suburban folks... not the case.  True, its possible that a person COULD still get a gun somewhere, but that doesn't mean we should allow such a person to buy one retail.

4 hours ago, Hammer said:

To those of you in other countries, let me ask you this....if you were allowed to carry a gun on you, probably a concealed gun, if you had that gun on you, and some nut job starting shooting, would you be glad that you have a gun on you to protect yourself, and others around you, or would you rather hide somewhere, and hope that the shooter didn't find you and shoot you? 

The obvious question? In a life and death situation, firstly: I would be glad I have a gun, and secondly: I would certainly use the gun to protect myself

But to hide somewhere and hope the shooter doesn’t get you. Most certainly.NO!!

21 minutes ago, JohnSchroeder said:

I'm as pro second amendment as anyone.... but this kid seems like a poster child for someone who should not have been able to legally buy a gun.  It makes my teeth itch when I hear a politician use a term like 'common sense gun control'... sounds great... until you realize that their common sense may not be your common sense.  That said though there are at least three things that I think should have prevented him from buying a gun.

1.  History of mental health issues. 
  2. Police called to his house 29 times over 7 years.
  3. 17 years old.  No one mentions this... but if you can't buy cigs or lottery tickets, maybe you shouldn't be able to purchase a gun either.

I also don't buy the argument that you can buy a gun anywhere if a store won't sell one to you.  Maybe that's true if you're an inner city gang-banger.  But for us suburban folks... not the case.  True, its possible that a person COULD still get a gun somewhere, but that doesn't mean we should allow such a person to buy one retail.

My bad, apparently he was 19 years old.  That last one doesn't apply in this particular case.

Buddy7, bottom line is you live on an island.  Doing away with guns in your country  works because the ease of smuggling them in across a land border is impossible.  

The US has 3,145 km (1,954 miles) of shared borders with Mexico and 8,893 km or 5,525 miles with Canada.  So basically 12,000 km of shared land borders.  Many of our land borders are unprotected from a third world country and this particular country smuggles all kinds of hazardous materials across our borders daily.  So please let us know how we might protect ourselves against more guns coming into the country (into the hands of criminals) while your law would take guns out of the hands of the law abiding citizens that would obey your new laws.  Please inform our government, since apparently you know how to run our country better than we do.

i know this sounds like a snarky answer however, I find myself at a loss consistently why people from other countries seem to have the answers to all of our problems while not addressing any of their own issues.  

15 minutes ago, JohnSchroeder said:

My bad, apparently he was 19 years old.  That last one doesn't apply in this particular case.

He was 19 but he bought the gun when he was 17. I listened to the interview with the school principal. He said his mother died last year and he went to live in a school mates home. They knew he had some mental problems but saw no evidence of violence. They thought that a lot of it might come from the deaths of his parents and they thought they could help. He was going for counseling. He brought the gun with him when he moved in and was allowed to keep it in his room on the condition that he not bring it out in the house. In hindsight that was a mistake but a well intentioned one.

The gun he had was an assault rifle and there is no need for anyone let alone a teenager to own an assault rifle unless it's been disabled. Hammer you can go on about people killing people and the USA having gun laws but you can't convince me that stiffer gun laws are needed or the killing of kids will go on and on.

Luckily, we only need to convince each other as we won our independence well over 200 years ago.  😉

Hammer, 

Thats nothing but hype put around by  the gun lobby & its been encouraged to repeat so often like parrot fashion that you start to believe it.

When people died after a car accident.. the gov insisted on modifications to all cars to prevent it happening again...like seat belts, air bags, suspension etc.etc.

Road rules were applied so many years ago  for the safety of others.

A child dies because of contaminated baby food... Strict sealing measure were then enforced to limit this from ever happening again.

People were dying or becoming seriously ill because of contaminated cucumbers etc, so strict  conditions were put in place to reduce the chance of reinfections .

No matter what  the cause of people dying or becoming ill, your gov will make a study for the cause & put in strict guidelines to prevent it happening again.

But .... not for guns. 

Theres too much money being made for  the making & distribution of guns  & you folk seem to worship the mega wealthy & accept their feeble excuses, even elaborating upon them.

Since the Florida shooting the shares in the  gun manufacturing  greatly increased. 

No, I dont understand the gun mentality .To me, you are  using your youth as collateral just to save you from gun control.

Is your population so great and ethics so low that you can forfeit the lives of children?

This year is only 6 weeks in and yet  your country has had 18 school shootings.

I certainly feel safe in my home. I'm not paranoid and I dont  publicly boast of wealth nor have flash cars in my driveway.

The only intruder Ive ever had was an old pervert. I simply increased my fence height & its materials & acknowledged...'he's only human' :D

Our gun control is quite effective so I have no fears someone will  start shooting . 

There is an element that will always get around the system  & get guns, but they dont shoot the citizens.. they stay & deal within their own element.

Guns  must be registered & kept locked away when not in use for target shooting etc,

Serious drug & crime  dealings usually  are restricted to gangs . These are under extreme surveillance & attacks, just look at Strike Force Raptor & see how their closing down the MC club houses

StrikeForce Raptor

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/inside-strike-force-raptor-bringing-down-the-gangs/news-story/0c13028a07664925f3329bfc1a006191

How can you not see that Florida mothers pain & not want to do something about guns in USA 

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/president-trump-please-do-something-mum-of-florida-shooting-victim-s-heart-wrenching-plea

buddy7 likes this

Dowling, the news report that I saw stated that he was 19 when he did the shooting, and that he was 18 when he bought the gun.  You can't buy a gun here if you are under 18.  When you buy a gun here, you fill out forms for a background check, and you have to show ID, proving that you are 18 years old or older.  When I bought my first two handguns, a Beretta 96 Brigadier, and a Lady Beretta, my daughter, who was 16 at the time, liked the Lady Beretta, which was a .25 caliber handgun.  When I went to buy them, she wasn't able to buy it because she was only 16, so I bought it for her, but I couldn't give it to her, since she was only 16, so I kept it until she turned 18.

As for a teenager owning an assault rifle....that type of assault rifle is commonly used at shooting ranges.  Ever time I go to the shooting range, I see people with assault rifles.  I don't know why they are called assault rifles, because they are just semi-automatic rifles.  I have two lever action rifles, where I have to cock the rifle each time to load another bullet (think of the rifle used in the TV show, The Rifleman, with Chuck Conners).  While I like those rifles, my M1A rifle is an assault rifle, and I am able to shoot it at the range without having to cock it each time I want to shoot a bullet, which makes it easier to keep my target in my sights.  The term assault rifle conjures up an image of something that the military would use, and that's not the case.  Assault rifles don't have the ability to become fully automatic, like their M-16 rifles do.

I can't help but wonder...for those of you who are against guns, how many of you have been to a shooting range and actually fired a gun?  I've watched many videos of people from other countries, who came to the US and had someone take them to a shooting range to fire a variety of different guns.  Every person who did this said that they really enjoyed the experience.  They may not want to own a gun, but they liked being able to shoot one, because it was fun.  This is why a lot of Americans have guns...because they are fun to shoot at the range, or because they are hunters and enjoy hunting for sport.  Here in the US, we have a problem with too many deer, and hunting is the way to thin the herds.  In my state, there are way too many car accidents involving deer, some of which are fatal to the car's occupants, so hunting is a way to decrease the rate of accidents involving deer.  I am not a hunter, and I'd never want to shoot an animal, that's just not me.

There will always be those who wish to inflict harm to others, because they have mental problems.  Those people will use whatever means available to hurt and kill other people, whether it is a gun, a knife, a car, an airplane, whatever.  These type of people will find a way, I mean, look at Timothy McVeigh.  He made a car bomb that killed 168 people....no guns were used.  As I've said, it's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people.  Guns are not the problem, people are the problem.