Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dowling gram

Roasted peameal bacon

6 posts in this topic

I visited my sister over Easter. For one meal she roasted a hunk of peameal bacon which she then sliced. It was something I never thought of doing and it was a delicious alternative to ham. She uses the leftovers for sandwiches or freezes it in a Tupperware container in single layers separated with freezer paper. When she wants a slice or 2 she takes the desired amount out and either nukes it or thaws it in the frying pan. Since I'm cooking for 1 I can foresee lots of uses for this. With eggs or as a topping for pizza or in a stir fry or simply as the meat portion of a meal. I roasted 1 yesterday and  had it for dinner. I will slice it today, have another meal and freeze the rest. I thought maybe others could use the idea too

meyery2k, macksvicky and TooSweetForMe like this

For those of us that just have no idea what 'peameal bacon' is.

Peameal bacon (also known as cornmeal bacon and Canadian bacon) is a type of back bacon made from lean boneless pork loin, trimmed fine, wet cured, and rolled in cornmeal. Development is credited to a TorontoOntario, ham and bacon curer, William Davies,[1] whose idea was taken on by emigrees from Wiltshire, England, who settled in Canada.[citation needed]

The name "peameal bacon" derives from the historic practice of rolling the cured and trimmed boneless loin in dried and ground yellow peas to extend shelf life. Since the end of World War II it has been rolled in ground yellow cornmeal.

Peameal bacon sandwiches are often considered a signature dish of Toronto's St. Lawrence Market. It is grilled in medium-sized slices until the centre is slightly rare and the cornmeal coating and external fat turns crisp to the bite

Moonpie, meyery2k and macksvicky like this

Thanks Clint--I had no idea that it was a Canadian cut of meat. I thought it was universal. PIty that the rest of the world has to do without this lean delicious treat

Edited by dowling gram
meyery2k and macksvicky like this

The cornmeal would make me nervous, but it does indeed sound good.  I could think of a ton of things to do with it.  :)

meyery2k and macksvicky like this

There's not that much cornmeal on it, only a light dusting to cover the outside. There is nothing on the cut part. What's there is on top of the thin layer of fat which I cut off after it's cooked. I only eat the a stray bit that happens to fall on the meaty part.

Moonpie, macksvicky and meyery2k like this

I thought it was bs on made from pea protein. I got excited because I thought it might be vegetarian. I eat burgers made from pea protein.

Moonpie, adiantum, meyery2k and 2 others like this