Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lamj

12 hr flight suggestions?

12 posts in this topic

I will be traveling on a 12 hour flight to Japan soon. Any suggestions for food to pack to keep my insulin in check.I figure the airline food will be high in carbs and sugar. Also, have you given yourself an insulin shot while in the plane?

I'm bringing a cooler to keep my insulin cool as I will need a couple months supply. Anyone have any experience doing this/suggestions to make it stay cold for 12 hours? Thanks!

Get a Frio wallet for your insulin, they have a website.  You soak the interior pouch in cold water for 20 mins and it puffs up as the little balls inside it absorb water.  It won't leak and make a mess!  You put it in the outer pouch and it'll fit in your pants or shirt pocket, it doesnt take up much room.  Can be reused hundreds of times.  Much easier than a cooler.

Here's a link to some on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=frio+cooling+wallet&tag=googcana-20&index=aps&hvadid=152430687767&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=587752630864617866&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001061&hvtargid=kwd-298493519200&ref=pd_sl_7foa4315m5_b

Airplane food is lousy at the best of times.  You may or may not be able to bring your own food on board, depends on the airline.  It's gonna be tough for 12 hours, for sure.  Cheese, some veggies if possible, small fruit if you can handle it.  I make sure to eat before I get on a plane so I need less food while flying.

macksvicky likes this

When i fly I use Cliff shot blocks as a back up easy to consume in 8 carb peices not meant to correct a low,

I use them when I run also. , but I don think hey would replace a desire to actually at a meal.,

macksvicky likes this

I'd take a few protein bars. They are easy to carry and have a lot of vitamins. Quest bars are the best tasting ones and are low in carbs. Be sure to inform the airlines that you are a type 1 diabetic and may have to take insulin while on board or eat. You may have to get your doctor to write a note telling them that you are diabetic.It might be a good idea to do that anyway. It will also tell them that you are bringing needles aboard. With all the airline restrictions if they don't know they may hassle you. They may serve you something that you can eat and may allow you to bring food on board. I'd call well ahead of time and ask them their policy. I'd also find out how easy it would be to buy  insulin in Japan. A call to their embassy should give you that info. You never know if you might need to know that. It's better to be prepared.

I'd buy a couple of frio wallets so I could have 1 ready at all times.

Edited by dowling gram
macksvicky and lamj like this

I'm not sure of the year this information was published, but you choose what you feel is okay for your diabetic needs while traveling.  Remember one bar would be one meal.  I don't use insulin so I can't be of any help there.  Good luck and happy traveling.

http://www.breakfastcriminals.com/wholesome-nutrition-bars-quest-bars/

macksvicky likes this

I don't worry about keeping my insulin cool at all times.  Each week I bring a pen of insulin to work and keep it in my drawer unrefridgerated.  Take it home over the weekend and keep in fridge. No problems.

If you keep it in a hot car or something and it gets to 100+F, then you got problems... but general room temperature not an issue.  You can keep it in your carry on and be fine.

terri3 likes this

I would buy a salad at one of the food places, AFTER you pass the security gates. Maybe some jerky in your pockets.

macksvicky likes this

The flight really isn't a big issue. You don't have to cool insulin for those 12 hours as long as they are cool when you leave home. If you really are worried take them in any container and buy a couple of cold water bottles to set around them on the flight. I buy food at the airport and carry it on board with me. I take long distance flights several times a year and have t really had a problem with anything. I wear an insulin pump and my insulin is worn against my body for several days and it works just fine.

Moonpie and macksvicky like this

Guess everyone missed he was carrying a 2 month supply.

Call the airline and ask what they allow you to hand carry on-board.

A 2 month supply is a whole lot of Frios.

As for eating, yeah the snack bars work. When they serve the meal just eat the proteins

edit:

Almost forgot. Have your doctor give you a letter on his stationary stating that you are an insulin dependent diabetic and a copy of your prescription.

Art

Edited by art
josephinelcajon likes this

I Might be flying from San Diego to London and have taken a lot of thought on this. First of all I take a cooler to the pharmacy when I pick up my insulin so going over seas for 30+ days to another country you bet I'm packing my insulin in a cooler! Do NOT check in any of your medical supplies or medicine! Never allow your self to be separated from them! DO get your doctor to write on his letterhead your condition and medical needs. Do pack more than you expect to need! Pack snacks, candy, glucose tabs/gel, energy bars, glucagon emergency kit, your doctors address and phone numbers (ask if they have a emergency number). Ask yourself if I loose my supplies what do I do??? I truly hope you have a amazing trip!

Two month supply isn't more than about 2-6 bottles depending on what you use daily. My bottle lasts me a month. So even if you pack extra, it would only be about a 5" cube.

It is absolutely true you must carry your supplies in your carry-on bag. Keep them in the overhead and your insulin will be cool when you land. Refrigerate as soon as you can and you are going to be fine. I generally carry two bottles with me when I travel overseas and have never had to carry a cooler. I once used a Frio when I flew from California to Africa. We landed in an area with no electricity that was fairly hot and we're staying in that location for ten days.

Don't worry, enjoy your trip. Airlines are very used to accommodating people with medications.

Wonder if lamj has left for Japan yet?  Did not see any comments about the ten replies to his/her post.