Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TeamT1D

Help an engineer: Infusion set occlusions

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm an engineer working on an occlusion-proof CGM infusion set. We've been able to completely fold our cannula onto itself while still maintaining flow. We need to know if there are any other modes of occlusions.

When you got an occlusion alarm

1. What product was it?

2. What did you do?

3. If you pulled it out, what did you notice about the cannula?

4. What activity were you doing within 2 hours of the occlusion alarm?

5. How often do you get occlusion alarms?

6. How long had the infusion set been inserted before the occlusion alarm?

Thank you!

I use the stainless steel infusion set to avoid kinks in the cannual .    The kinks would occur about half the time  at the time of insertion.  The alarm might occur any time over the next few hours.

I find that manual insertion of a SS set is more like the injections I used to take.   I find the auto loader adds a little bit of anxiety to the insertion process as I press the loader button slowly.

I have only had 1 or 2 occlusion alarms in 6 or 7 years using SS sets.   Like I said 50% failure with the soft cannula .  

I will stick with the SS sets until I have a VERY good reason to change.

(Thats just me .)  

I use the soft cannula with an auto-inserter and have had an occlusion only once in over 7 years. It happened due to an unnoticed air bubble. Once the air bubble was removed, the occlusion cleared. No problems ever again.

I've had only recent experience with an insulin but have experienced infusion set problems in insulin deliveries. My daughter has been in a pump for years. She has sustain stoppages of delivery.

Might you not be able to design an infusion set that permits visual confirmation of insulin delivery?

If that kind of design could, in large measure, be achieved, might one also design a manual back-up, for instances in which visual confirmation could mot be achiever, by device to push undelivered insulin into subcutaneous delivery. Perhaps the manual push could be accomplised by a syring-like device.