Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
art

Lower Dentures and Implants

20 posts in this topic

I have a nice new set of full dentures.

As with everybody else the uppers are fine and the lowers wobble all over the place.

I usually don't even wear the lowers.

Dental adhesives don't work.

My dentist has suggest putting in 2 posts as implants to secure the lowers.

Reading up tells me they are certainly better than glue .

Anybody have real world experience with the implants?

They sure aren't cheap

Thanks,

Art

I've seen advertisements for the snap-in anchors. Sounds a lot better than the glue. My only concern would be all that bite pressure concentrated on two small spots on my lower jaw. Chewing a banana...not a problem. Cracking a pistachio nut...maybe not a good idea.

I've seen advertisements for the snap-in anchors. Sounds a lot better than the glue. My only concern would be all that bite pressure concentrated on two small spots on my lower jaw. Chewing a banana...not a problem. Cracking a pistachio nut...maybe not a good idea.

But you aren't just chewing on those 2 spots. The load is spread out over the whole denture. Consider this science experiment. A sheet of paper rolled into a cylinder can hold many books without collapsing. Those cylinder shaped posts embedded into the jaw bone and the distribution of weight of the dentures allow you to eat anything including nuts. My friend has a single, front tooth implanted. She had it done 4 years ago, eats anything she wants and treats it just like her real teeth as far as I know.

Art if I had to have my bottom teeth removed I think I'd get the implants

macksvicky likes this

But you aren't just chewing on those 2 spots. The load is spread out over the whole denture. Consider this science experiment. A sheet of paper rolled into a cylinder can hold many books without collapsing. Those cylinder shaped posts embedded into the jaw bone and the distribution of weight of the dentures allow you to eat anything including nuts. My friend has a single, front tooth implanted. She had it done 4 years ago, eats anything she wants and treats it just like her real teeth as far as I know.

Art if I had to have my bottom teeth removed I think I'd get the implants

Okay, consider this science experiment. Take a walnut, place it under a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Now stand on the sheet of plywood. Hear that loud crack? If the force of the bite is distributed equally across the whole denture/mandible...how does the denture snap into place?

Okay, consider this science experiment. Take a walnut, place it under a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Now stand on the sheet of plywood. Hear that loud crack? If the force of the bite is distributed equally across the whole denture/mandible...how does the denture snap into place?

Not a very good experiment.  It does not take much force to crack a walnut. They are made to crack open. If they weren't the seed could never germinate. The stainless steel posts are implanted into the jaw bone. There is only a small piece above the gums. You have to wait a while for the bone to grow around the implants before they insert the dentures. There are places in the denture that go over the posts and the denture rests on the jaw bone just like regular dentures. The only thing the posts do is keep the denture in place and keeps it from moving when you chew or bite. Millions of people have chosen implants over regular dentures and I haven't heard of any problems. The only drawback is that they are very expensive

macksvicky and JohnSchroeder like this

I have two individual implants the rest of my teeth are original I followed the advice of my dentist and oral surgeon

Then just wrote checks. (((( it worked out fine.

Now on the lighter side, just like many I have been following all this crazy news. Conclusion you don't want to be on big screen HD TV without good teeth! Frightening what good TV can show.

Just in case you are a local news caster. ;- )

adiantum, Fraser, macksvicky and 1 other like this

Those big screen TV's sow many faults.

The first I noticed was Samantha on Bewitched. They'd bogged the gap between her front teeth

meyery2k and macksvicky like this

Just wait till you see 4k HDR.

macksvicky and meyery2k like this

A few years back my 25" CRT TV finally bit the dust. I took a drive down to Walmart where I'd bought it in 1997. Nothing but flat screen LED and LCD Screens. H'm...

Looking them over...I noticed that they were now HDTV, whatever that was. Also...BIG screens. WooHoo! I bought a 33 inch. Got it home...hooked it up...h'm...no HDTV. Called Walmart...guy said you have to have an HD set top box from your cable provider. Okay...called Comcast, they brought out an HD set top box and hooked it all up.

HOLY MOLY! Going from SD to HD was like going from night to day. The HD service from Comcast is only $5 more a month, nowadays, and it's more than worth it. Before anyone suggests that i take a 3D HDTV out for a test ride, remember...I've only got one eye! :)

3D is neat but in my opinion not worth the money. At least not where the tech is at currently. That may change down the road.

HDR can be amazing, but the manufacturers are still fighting over standards at the moment.

HDR can be amazing, but the manufacturers are still fighting over standards at the moment.

I would think that in order to get 4K HDTV...that program would have to be broadcast in 4K, no? I mean...when I watch old episodes of Star Trek Voyager on the BBC in America channel...even though that channel is an HD Comcast channel, I see the program in SD.

When you say 'fighting over standards' I assume you mean like the old Beta verses VHS type of standards...or 1080 P verses 1080 I?

macksvicky likes this

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this topic. :unsure:

macksvicky likes this

Yes, in order to get the full 4k, the signal /source must be 4k. Also some sources /signals might scale an image from a lower resolution to 4k,but it's not the same.

As for format at, yes kind of like beta vs vhs. The issue partly comes about because the spec has yet to be fully fleshed out and different display manufacturers want to influence that to their own benefit. And that's just with the same format let alone between the different ones like HDR-10 and Dolby Vision.

Is always fun when things are new. :)

macksvicky likes this

One last question (sorry, Art). My big TV, a Philips HDTV; when I watch sports...where they pan real fast...is blurry. I was told that was because of my TV's refresh rate (60Hz) that next time I buy a TV I should get one that has a 120Hz or even a 240Hz refresh rate. Thoughts?

Possible.  Also possible its a bit rate on the signal is too low issue.  Either could cause the behavior you see.

Well, now I know all about TV's

Art

meyery2k, princesslinda, macksvicky and 1 other like this

Art, my cousin (not diabetic) has had dentures for many years and her gums wore down to the point where her dentures slipped all the time, making eating and talking difficult. She had the prongs you're describing in upper and lower (several years ago) and loves the secure fit she now has. She said she wished she'd done it sooner, even though it was expensive. I've always said if I had to get dentures, I'd want them to fit that way, as she has no problems with anything getting under them.

If you have it done, please share you experiences.

macksvicky likes this

Well, now I know all about TV's

Art

You're welcome! :)

macksvicky likes this

She said she wished she'd done it sooner...

I agree. Had I known I was gonna live this long...I'd have flossed more! :)

macksvicky likes this

Had I known I was going to live this long & that it would hurt , I wouldve looked after my body  ;)

Until this thread, i had no idea how implants worked & according to the ads on this page, you can get those implants in India for just $250.

What a bargain !!

I agree. Had I known I was gonna live this long...I'd have flossed more! :)

macksvicky likes this