Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hammer

Cell phones....

132 posts in this topic

Okay, so those of you who have read my posts in the past, know that I hate cell phones and that I think that they should be outlawed.  Well, my daughter offered to put me on her cell phone plan, so I agreed, because I thought that I could buy a TracFone, and a 60 minute card to use, in the event I needed assistance if my car broke down.  Well, that isn't what TracFones can do, so the two TracFones that I bought are going in the trash, and I needed another form of communication, in the event my car broke down, so I agreed to let my daughter put me on her plan.

My daughter got me an entry level Smart Phone, whatever that means, as well as a car charger, a protective cover for the phone, and a case for the phone.  The reason I agreed to get a cell phone is because the phone companies force you to get one.  The last time I had car trouble, I parked my car and tried to find a pay phone to call the dealership....there aren't any pay phones anymore.  I had to go into a pharmacy, and ask to use their phone so that I could call for assistance.  That made me mad, because I knew that the phone companies want you to buy a cell phone, since they no longer have pay phones.

I visited my daughter tonight to pick up this cell phone.  She was trying to show me how to access some of it's functions, and I told her that I wasn't interested in any of it's functions, I just wanted to place this phone in my glove compartment, and never use it unless I broke down.  I told her not to try to call me or text me on this phone, because it will never be turned on.  I hate the fact that I have to pay a monthly fee for a phone that I will most likely never use, but since there are no pay phones anymore, I have no other choice.  I don't even know the phone number of this phone, and I don't care what it is.  If I never have to use this cell phone, that will make me happy, but paying a monthly fee to be able to use it if I have to, doesn't make me happy.  Cell phones are a rip off. :angry:

macksvicky and janice21475 like this

Hammer, I hope you soon become comfortable with having a cell phone. Although I just use mine for the occasional call, I feel quite nekid without it.

Mine is a pre paid  without the skills most phones  have.

macksvicky likes this

Hammer-- You can't just put that cell in the glove compartment and expect it to be charged when you need it.

I have a cell phone and like you I didn't want one until I went to visit my sister and the bus was 4 hours late. I was forced to use a pay phone at the depot and reverse the charges which cost $16 for a 2 minute call. I bought an unlocked phone and looked into prepaid plans. Mine costs $29 a month. I have unlimited Ontario calling, 5 cents a minute calling outside of that area and texting but no data. I can always use WIFI if I ever need it. I can cancel at any time but they do have $100 a year plans. I do use the camera feature because I don't take that many pictures and my camera's batteries are always dead so it is now mothballed in favor of my phone.

I never thought I'd use it much but it was a life saver while my husband was sick. Now it is a lifeline between my son and I. He worries about me being on my own and likes to know he can reach me at any time. I'm sure your daughter wants you to have a cell phone for the same reason. I figure that few bucks a month is worth my son's peace of mind and I like the convenience. Personally I've grown to like having a cell phone and am considering ditching my landline and just using my cell.Then I'll be paying less then than I pay for my landline now

buddy7, janice21475, princesslinda and 1 other like this

Another reason I like my cell phone is I hate answering machines. My son and family lead very active lives. I'd phone and they wouldn't be home so I'd leave a message and have to stick around waiting for them to call back. Now I text and find out when they are going to be home or if it's something important leave a brief message and when I'll be home. It works so much better

buddy7, macksvicky, janice21475 and 1 other like this

I have never had a cell phone. However, I did get a MagicJack Pro cube for my home. It works over my internet, provided by my landline phone company. Frontier was so out of joint when I requested that my phone number of many years be ported out to MagicJack, that they turned off my internet service for 10 days. I found out that's what they do automatically when you request to port out a number and cancel your land line. A cell phone wouldn't work here in these Wisconsin hills anyway. Too many dead spots. There is a pay phone 3 1/2 miles from me outside the old Yuba Mill. The Amish use it.

buddy7, macksvicky, janice21475 and 1 other like this

I've had a cell phone since there were cell phones. I've had a computer since there were computers. 

I worked as a consulting engineer and travelled constantly all over the country for anywhere from a day to a month at a customer site. Cell phones were and are fantastic technology. Pre-beeper I had to call the office morning noon and night to keep in touch. A real pain. Then came the damned beepers (pager). Drove me nuts. It was a great day when I got my first 'brick' to carry. 

When I retire the damned thing will still be attached to me for my family and friends comfort of being able to reach me easily. It's just a part of life now.

princesslinda, macksvicky, Rad Warrier and 3 others like this

I have a old fashion Flip Phone that I carry around with me and it is always off. I used it the most when we were selling our cottage last week, I left it on for a week in case there was any urgent questions came up about the cottage. Now it is off again and back in my pocketbook.

macksvicky likes this

Not having a cell phone is like not having a computer or internet connection. You don't have to have it but life is sure easier with it.

And of course you could probably give up the ham radio too. Then there would be silence.

buddy7, adiantum, princesslinda and 1 other like this

The reason I hate cell phones is because I'm not that important of a person where I need to be able to be contacted 24/7.  When I leave the house, my wall phone stays at home, and if someone tries to call me, they can leave a message on my answering machine.  If I am out in public, it seems like everyone has their face buried in a cell phone.  I don't know what is so interesting on their cell phones that they ignore the world around them.  Since I have two cars and just this one phone, I'll have to bring it into the house when I get home, so that the next time I go out, I can place it in the car that I'll be driving.  That means that I'll connect it to the charger every day and leave it there until I go out again....maybe 3-4 days later, so it'll always be charged.  If I should forget to charge it, I'll still be able to charge it with the car charger that my daughter got me for it.

As I mentioned before, I don't even know the phone number of this cell phone, and that's fine with me, but even if I did know it, I wouldn't give it out to anyone, because I don't want anyone to call me on it.  That's why it's going to always be turned off.....so that telemarketers can't bother me....or anyone else for that matter. 

I live next to the state line, and that means that cell phone towers are far away, so when I look at the number of bars on this phone, I'm lucky to get 2 bars.  Since I'll never use this phone from my house, the number of bars doesn't matter.  If in the future, my car should break down, if this phone isn't able to hit a cell phone tower, then I'll throw this phone away too.  What good would it be if I can't call for help?  Pay phones were much more dependable than any cell phone, because they were hard wired into the phone company.

macksvicky, buddy7, janice21475 and 1 other like this

Unfortunately you sound just like my father who was still driving the car at 90. Did not want a cell phone did not need one.

We gave him one and said just keep it on with the ringer off. That way we can use it to find his body if needed.

The phone is for your daughters peace of mind, not really for you.

Edited by Fraser
janice21475, LaRue, buddy7 and 1 other like this

W A T...cell phones??  I thought that this was a diabetes forum not a free-for-all hints from heloise forum?  

Edited by OneHappyGardener

W A T...cell phones??  I thought that this was a diabetes forum not a free-for-all hints from heloise forum?  

If you look at the main diabetes forums page it says:

f_icon.png

Chit Chat

Come in here to talk about anything other than Diabetes.

buddy7, RandallFlagg, Java and 2 others like this

W A T...cell phones?? I thought that this was a diabetes forum not a free-for-all hints from heloise forum?

um, wow

what a way to introduce yourself here

Edited by Java
ran23, macksvicky, buddy7 and 2 others like this

It has been explained to me that chit chat is an open forum not tied to diabetes, there is actual a rule for that.

buddy7 and janice21475 like this

Wow I feel sorry for you Hammer, you have no idea what you are missing.  Also, that cell phone in your glove box will have a dead battery the one time you find you really need to use it.  You cant hide it away and expect it to work at some point down the road, you have to charge it up.

A cell phone is a computer in your pocket, it's eliminated the need for cameras, desktop computers, provides access to anything you want to know about anything, it's a radio, a calendar, a calculator, a GPS.  All in one little unit that fits in your pocket, plus it makes phone calls!

LaRue, buddy7 and adiantum like this

Also, that cell phone in your glove box will have a dead battery the one time you find you really need to use it. You cant hide it away and expect it to work at some point down the road, you have to charge it up.

Agree here. Even powered off, the battery will slowly drain and extreme weather conditions can also play havoc on battery life.

Also, don't leave it plugged in all the time. Mr Fuzzy tends to do that with the results of swollen batteries within a couple of years (he has done it twice now). It's best to charge it full and then allow the battery to drop normally. Just leave it on and recharge it once or twice a week.

A cell phone is a computer in your pocket, it's eliminated the need for cameras, desktop computes

I'll argue the desktop computer part. I do way too much that just can't be realistically done on a mobile device. But I understand what you mean.

plus it makes phone calls!

It does??? I keep forgetting about that function. Or maybe I keep trying to forget about that function. :)

Post written from my cell phone. My ankle is swollen and I'm laying back icing it.

janice21475 and buddy7 like this

Kit, my son worked in a cell phone co. for years.  You should let your phone charge to 80% and then discharge to 20% before plugging it back in.  Your battery will last much longer if you go with the 80/20 idea.  

This is how it is with me and my cell Phone, I really can’t do without it. With the dear lady 4 daughters 6 grands 2 of which are teens, you see, something always going on in the family, so it’s much on the go exchanging calls and texting, and one of my daughters just put this family app on my cell, called what’s-app, this is great, all conversations and texts between the family stays with us, just have to text once and all the family get the chance to read the message and reply.

So Hammer get with-it and start using your cell Phone, you know your daughter means well, no good in the “glove compartment”. The problem is, pay Phones on the high streets are a thing of the pass, when you do find one it’s out of service anyway or broken.  :D

Oh and adding to the list of tasks, my cell phone is my primary e-reader.  Since 98% of what I read anymore is electronic, I always have a book with me.  :)

Actually here's a good comparison.  Last time we went on a trip like this, Mr Fuzzy and I brought two paper grocery bags full of books.  This time around it will just be our cell phones.  No need for us to have a signal, they're all stored on those devices and ready for when we want them.  :)

I don't like using my cell phone for audio though.  That I prefer my mp3 player.  The firmware on it has been optimized for audiobooks, which is what I use it for 99% of the time.  :)

See, that's the difference between me and most people.  I never get phone calls on my landline.....maybe 6 calls a year, and I never make calls on my landline, well, maybe a few times a year.  Staying in touch with the few relatives that I have left is done by e-mail.  I Skype with my brother every other Friday, and I never hear from my sister.  My daughter might e-mail me every two months or so, since there usually isn't anything new to chat about.  I have a friend who invites me down to his house for dinner every few months, but we also do that through e-mails.  I rarely use my home phone, so I know that I'll never use a cell phone unless I break down and need to call for assistance.  This is why I have avoided getting a cell phone for so long....I have no use for it.  To me, this cell phone is an overpriced, never going to be used device, that I'll have to carry in my car whenever I go out.  Heck, I just got back from getting my haircut, and I forgot and left the TracFone in the glove compartment.  Oh well, I won't need it till I go out again, so I'll just leave it there.

As I mentioned before, I live on the state line, meaning that there are no cell towers close by.  The other cell phone that my daughter got me, indicates that I have 1 bar....sometimes 2 bars, so it's pretty much useless in my home, which I knew it would be, and that's fine with me. :)  I just tried to get on the internet with this phone, but with only one bar showing, I couldn't, so again, I'll never use this phone from my home.

Edited by Hammer

I don't do the phone thing either.  I rarely receive phone calls.  When I do, I will check to see who it is. 

If its someone I know who doesn't call me much, I assume its an emergency and answer. 

If its anyone else, I let it go to voice mail.  if its important they will leave me a message or send me a text.  if they don't, it wasn't important.

If its Mr Fuzzy, I always answer because if he's using a phone it means the house is burning down, the sky has turned a reddish purple, and the end of days has arrived.  My instinct is to run to him as fast as possile so we can spend the last few moments together before the world ends.

If its work, I answer because I have to. *sigh*

It was really handy when I broke my ankle late in the evening, in the dark, about 2 miles away from home and not on the beaten path.  I would have been pretty screwed trying to get home or help without a cell phone on me.

My mother, however, is a phone addict and must answer a ringing phone immediately.  No exceptions.  I've seen her swerve across 4 lanes of traffic at 40mph frantically trying to get her phone out of her purse (most terrifying experience of my life).  She says it might be important.  I tell her if its important they will leave a message.  She doesn't comprehend it.  "But what if its one of your bother's doctors?".  They'll leave a message.  I think she has some serious issues.

macksvicky likes this

Hammer, another point regarding just leaving the phone lay until you need it. This new technology is not 100% intuitive. You can not just pick it up and know what buttons to push, or not to push. If you are in a roadside emergency that is not the ideal time to be trying to become accustomed to the danged infernal thing. It will only add to your stress. Just think of it as a tool and learn how to fully use it. Including taking pictures, your roadside emergency may require documentation, you never know.

I think it is wonderful your daughter thinks so much of you she wants to provide you with a wonderful tool. It is not a toy, nor is it a fad, as it has lasted far too long to be a simple fad. It is part of this digital world, take advantage of it. But even the most wonderful tool in the world is useless unless you are fully acquainted with it's use. Bend a little and accommodate your daughter in this business. It must mean something to her for her to have given it to you, don't be stiff about it, relax and try it out. You could call the woman you gave the radio to and test the phone. I know you have mentioned she has called you in the past.

I look forward to a report on your cell phone adventures. :)  Think positively, OK?

:hug:

Moonpie, Uff Da and macksvicky like this

Hammer, another point regarding just leaving the phone lay until you need it. This new technology is not 100% intuitive. You can not just pick it up and know what buttons to push, or not to push. If you are in a roadside emergency that is not the ideal time to be trying to become accustomed to the danged infernal thing. It will only add to your stress. Just think of it as a tool and learn how to fully use it. Including taking pictures, your roadside emergency may require documentation, you never know.

I think it is wonderful your daughter thinks so much of you she wants to provide you with a wonderful tool. It is not a toy, nor is it a fad, as it has lasted far too long to be a simple fad. It is part of this digital world, take advantage of it. But even the most wonderful tool in the world is useless unless you are fully acquainted with it's use. Bend a little and accommodate your daughter in this business. It must mean something to her for her to have given it to you, don't be stiff about it, relax and try it out. You could call the woman you gave the radio to and test the phone. I know you have mentioned she has called you in the past.

I look forward to a report on your cell phone adventures. :)  Think positively, OK?

:hug:

Janice, my daughter got me this phone because I asked her to.  I have tried to access the internet with this phone, but since I live near the state line, it doesn't connect with any cell phone towers....it's basically useless in my home, and that's fine with me.  There is no one on the face of the Earth that NEEDS a cell phone...cell phones are merely a convenience, they are not a necessity.  Anyone who thinks that their cell phone is a necessity, let me ask them this....what did you do before we had cell phones?.....did you die?....did you suffer in any way?  NO!  If you survived without a cell phone years ago, then why do you feel you need a cell phone now?  YOU DON'T!  I only got this cell phone to provide me with the ability to summon help, in the event that my car breaks down.  If my cars never break down, then I will never have to use this cell phone, and that would make me happy.  To me, cell phones are a total waste of money, just like MP3 players are.  If you don't listen to music, like I don't, what good is an MP3 player?  Well, the same thing applies to cell phones.  If you don't call anyone, and no one calls you, why get a cell phone?  In my case, I got one to help me in the event that my car broke down, which rarely happens, since I keep my cars it tip-top shape.

This cell phone that my daughter got me, obviously has a phone number....I don't know what it is, and I don't care what it is....I will never use it unless my car breaks down.  I have this intense hatred for cell phones, and I will never be happy with one. To me, cell phones are a detriment to any civilized society.  If you don't believe that, watch what happens when you are out in public, and someone that you are talking to, gets a call or a text message on their cell phone.  Do they ignore the phone call or text message?...or do they ignore you and answer the phone call or the text message.  Most people respond to the call or the text message....as if that is so important, that they feel the need to ignore you.

Cell phones = garbage!...and no one can convince me otherwise!  If I never break down, then I will never use this cell phone, and that would make me happy.  As I said, I HATE cell phones!

macksvicky likes this

Hammer, It wasn't me that called you a grumpy old man.........honest.

*fingers crossed behind my back  & wearing my naughty girl hat*

macksvicky likes this

when we got married, I jumped on my wife's plan.  Recently she got a new smart phone and handed me a new 3G Flip-phone.  

macksvicky and adiantum like this