Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hammer

Cell phones....

132 posts in this topic

I forgot to add, while I was checking the bank account I also chatted with Mr Fuzzy to let him know so it wouldn't be a surprise.

janice21475 and buddy7 like this

Kit, What a wonderful example! I had no idea any of that was possible but I still can see what a marvellous 'tool' a cell phone can be. I believe I may have to do what I can to move above and beyond my Flip-phone.  I don't foresee any need for such skills but if they should become necessary it could be life saving, or at least life changing.  Not to mention how empowering it would be to know how to do that.

Maybe you could recommend a good 'beginners' model phone with which I could start. :) I have an old cell phone  that I used for a short time, They took decent pictures and at one time I knew how to download them onto my desktop. I have been saving them as 'back-up' cameras if ever my Sony CyberShot dies. They are lighter to carry in my purse, too.

Regards,

Janice

buddy7 likes this

11 hours ago, Kit said:

I forgot to add, while I was checking the bank account I also chatted with Mr Fuzzy to let him know so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Hi Kit! Your Mr Fuzzy is quite a character, and I love him/her to bits.:D

Kit likes this

21 hours ago, Kit said:

As said before, it is a tool. People choose how they use it. You are determined that if can't be useful so you make sure it can't (keeping it turned off) and telling everyone how useless it is. 

That's the thing....cell phones are a convenience, not a necessity.  When I see everyone out in public with their faces glued to a cell phone, I just get disgusted with how everyone thinks that they NEED a cell phone.  What did these people do before there were cell phones?...did they die?....were they cut off from the world?  No, they had a landline phone, pagers, and answering machines that gave them the information they needed.

I don't want to have a cell phone attached to my body so that anyone and everyone can contact me 24/7....I am not that important, and neither are most people.  There is nothing that is so important that I need to be contacted right now with a cell phone.  I only have this cell phone (if I can find it...I'm not sure where I left it) so that if my car breaks down, I can call for help, since there are no more pay phones.  If there were still pay phones, I wouldn't have this cell phone.....I have no need for it unless my car breaks down.

When I hear people saying that they use it for banking, I cringe.  Most people don't lock their cell phones, so if that person's cell phone was lost or stolen, gee...do you think that the person who stole or found that cell phone would have access to personal information?  Maybe, maybe not, but why take the chance?  Let's put all of our personal information out there, either online or with our cell phones and hope for the best....yeah, right!  Not me!

Why do I hate texting?  How many times have you been talking to someone in person, and your cell phone beeped, or whatever it does when you get a text message?  Did you answer that text?  Then, did the person that you answered their text message, text you back?....and did you then text them back again?  How many times did you and this other person text each other, while the person you were talking to in person had to wait until all of your texting was finished?  Don't you consider that rude?  I do!  You don't have to answer a text message right now, wait until later to answer it.  Why does everyone feel the need to ignore the person they are talking to in person, to answer a text message?

I consider cell phones to be useless because, first, no one needs one, and second, because cell phones are destroying the social etiquette of our society, since everyone that I know, will answer their cell phones and ignore the person that is in front of them that they are talking to.  This has happened to me many times, with my daughter and my friend that I go to the shooting range with.  I'll be chatting with my daughter, or my friend, the cell phone beeps, and they stop chatting and read the text message.  They then have to text back, forgetting that we were in the middle of a conversation, as if that text was more important than what we were chatting about.  To me, NO text message is more important than the person who you are chatting with who is standing in front of you.

I agree with Hammer on some things but I certainly do not yearn to go back to a pager... oh my goodness I can throw a pager farther than you can see. My cell phone is a very convenient tool for me as it replaces many things. However, I do need to make some changes to help me cope.

1. Put a garbage can under my mail slot. The only physical mail I get now is sales trash.

2. I need an app that can tell if the caller is a salesman... that would reduce my calls to about 1 per day. Maybe auto-block those numbers.

3. A gps that shuts off when I turn off the phone even if it's still giving directions. Sucks the battery dry quick.

4. THE BIGGIE. Get rid of that damned swipe to answer bull shoote. The phone has a button. Let me used it to answer.

janice21475 likes this

I'm considering losing my landline and just using my cell. Many people have done this. Why pay an extra $60 when my cell does it all. I think landlines are going the way of cable TV. Why pay for it when you can do it all with the internet. I still haven't mastered that but I'm learning.

I do agree with you Hammer that too many people have to have that phone plugged into their ears all the time. Like all technology there are some that go overboard and those that use it for the convenience. The way they were intended to be used.

I know years ago I thought as you do until the day I was stranded in a bus depot in the middle of the night and had to reverse the charges and pay $16 on a pay phone for a 2 minute call

TX_Clint likes this

15 hours ago, janice21475 said:

Maybe you could recommend a good 'beginners' model phone with which I could start. :) I have an old cell phone  that I used for a short time, They took decent pictures and at one time I knew how to download them onto my desktop. I have been saving them as 'back-up' cameras if ever my Sony CyberShot dies. They are lighter to carry in my purse, too.

I'm not familiar with a lot of the low end models.  I tend to go for the upper end.

The two majors ones are Apple's iPhnes using iOS and Android phones from a variety of manufacturers (are there even any running Windows 7 or whatever they were calling it anymore).  Go to your local cell carrier store or online and take a look at what they offer.  Most will have at least a few lower end models at good prices.  They will require a data plan in order to make full use of all of their features.

janice21475 likes this

9 hours ago, buddy7 said:

Hi Kit! Your Mr Fuzzy is quite a character, and I love him/her to bits.:D

I do as well, even when he annoys the crap outta me.  :D

janice21475, ran23 and buddy7 like this

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

That's the thing....cell phones are a convenience, not a necessity.  When I see everyone out in public with their faces glued to a cell phone, I just get disgusted with how everyone thinks that they NEED a cell phone.  What did these people do before there were cell phones?...did they die?....were they cut off from the world? 

No, they did other antisocial behaviors such as listed to music all the time or similar.  The device doesn't cause the behavior.  Do guns make people go into schools and shopping malls to go on killing sprees?

I don't want to have a cell phone attached to my body so that anyone and everyone can contact me 24/7....I am not that important, and neither are most people.  There is nothing that is so important that I need to be contacted right now with a cell phone.  I only have this cell phone (if I can find it...I'm not sure where I left it) so that if my car breaks down, I can call for help, since there are no more pay phones.  If there were still pay phones, I wouldn't have this cell phone.....I have no need for it unless my car breaks down.

And lets say you're out cleaning weeds and similar from near the tower where your ham group has its antennas.  You're planning to be out there most of the day and your daughter is in a horrible accident or similar.  You're telling me that its just fine to wait to hear that news until you get home hours later and happen to see the phone message.

Or you trip and fall and break an ankle.  Or have a heart attack or stroke.

I was very thankful to have my phone when I broke my ankle.  Otherwise Mr Fuzzy would have been going insane and I would not have been found until morning at the earliest.

When I hear people saying that they use it for banking, I cringe.  Most people don't lock their cell phones, so if that person's cell phone was lost or stolen, gee...do you think that the person who stole or found that cell phone would have access to personal information?  Maybe, maybe not, but why take the chance?  Let's put all of our personal information out there, either online or with our cell phones and hope for the best....yeah, right!  Not me!

How?  They would have to know both my username and password in order to access the banking app.  It doesn't save that information.

And honestly, its already all out there online.  We don't have to do anything for that to happen.

Reminds me of my mother.  She doesn't buy anything online.  She's always careful.  Her identity has been stolen twice now, including her social security number.  The last time, they were trying to take out a loan in her name.

Why do I hate texting?  How many times have you been talking to someone in person, and your cell phone beeped, or whatever it does when you get a text message?  Did you answer that text?  Then, did the person that you answered their text message, text you back?....and did you then text them back again?  How many times did you and this other person text each other, while the person you were talking to in person had to wait until all of your texting was finished?  Don't you consider that rude?  I do!  You don't have to answer a text message right now, wait until later to answer it.  Why does everyone feel the need to ignore the person they are talking to in person, to answer a text message?

If I'm out with a friend or similar, I might glance and read if its from someone important.  But I'm IT at work and on call 24/7 and have a system of alerts configured to go to my phone as text in case there is a problem.  I have to look because it might be work.  Or it might be an emergency from Mr Fuzzy (happened a few times).

But otherwise, no, I do not gab via text with one person while I'm with another.  Well unless its someone who is supposed to be joining us (letting us know they re running late, on their way, etc).  That's the wonderful nature of texts.  Most of the time they do not require immediate attention or response.  If my brother wants to send me a new pic of his grandson, I don't have to have a conversation with him about it right then.  It can easily wait until later.

Why do people do this?  Because they are rude and cell phones are just another excuse for them to be so.

Why do rural redneck kids go driving around with guns shooting county road signs (very common when I was young)?  Is that the fault of the guns?  Do guns make people do stupid and dangerous things?

Edited by Kit
janice21475 likes this

Oh, and just because I have a cell phone doesn't mean people call me all of the time.  I get very few cell phone calls and I think I've gotten maybe 5 soliciting calls in the 10+ years I've had this number.

janice21475 likes this

Hang on to that number Kit. I've had my current number for about 2 years and it bites getting all the solicitation calls. Everything from extending my car warranty to asking if my bra is too tight!!! 

janice21475 likes this

Okay Kit....relating cell phone usage to people going into shopping malls on a killing spree, is a bit far fetched.

If I am out at my club's repeater site spraying weeds, and my daughter was in a horrible accident, would I want to be notified right away?....NO.....I mean, what could I do if she was involved in a horrible accident?....absolutely nothing, so why call me on a cell phone to tell me something that I could do nothing about?

To me, it seems that people need to justify their use of their cell phones for whatever reasons.  To me, cell phones are a waste of time and money.  Like I said in a previous post, I live on the state line, so when I turn on this cell phone, I only get one bar if I'm lucky, so what good is this cell phone?  I have a wall phone that is ALWAYS connected, so why does anyone think that a cell phone is better than a landline?  My landline costs me, with fees and taxes, $28 a month.  This garbage cell phone is going to cost me at least $30 a month, and I can't use it at my house because I can only get one bar....sometimes.  What good is it?  Hopefully, I will never have to use this cell phone, but if I do, I'm hoping that I will be in range of a cell phone tower that will allow me to use it, because if I'm not, I will throw this piece of garbage in the trash can.  What good is a cell phone if you can't connect with a cell phone tower?

29 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Okay Kit....relating cell phone usage to people going into shopping malls on a killing spree, is a bit far fetched.

Not really.  They are both tools being poorly or dangerously used.  A guy reaching for his cell phone which had fallen on the door while on the highway in rush hour traffic ended with a multicar accident and shut I5 northbound down completely for a couple hour period during morning traffic.  I don't believe anyone was seriously injured, but honestly everyone who saw the damage to the cars involved considered it an absolute miracle.

I am not justifying my use of a cell phone, I am explaining how I use it.

In regards to your daughter, if I got news that Mr Fuzzy was in a horrible accident and being transported to the ER, I sure as heck would be on my way within minutes.  not because I think I can make him better.  No one thinks that.  but because I need to be there for him.  Because I would need to be near him for myself.  I know exactly how I would feel if he died and I had decided to not go because I couldn't do anything.  Or he was confused and scared and alone.  I've been in that situation myself.  Having someone you care about and who cares for you can make a massive difference.

And if I didn't get the news ASAP, I would be bloody furious.

Edited by Kit
buddy7, janice21475 and TX_Clint like this

7 minutes ago, Kit said:

Not really.  They are both tools being poorly or dangerously used.  A guy reaching for his cell phone which had fallen on the door while on the highway in rush hour traffic ended with a multicar accident and shut I5 northbound down completely for a couple hour period during morning traffic.  I don't believe anyone was seriously injured, but honestly everyone who saw the damage to the cars involved considered it an absolute miracle.

I am not justifying my use of a cell phone, I am explaining how I use it.

In regards to your daughter, if I got news that Mr Fuzzy was in a horrible accident and being transported to the ER, I sure as heck would be on my way within minutes.  not because I think I can make him better.  No one thinks that.  but because I need to be there for him.  Because I would need to be near him for myself.  I know exactly how I would feel if he died and I had decided to not go because I couldn't do anything.  Or he was confused and scared and alone.  I've been in that situation myself.  Having someone you care about and who cares for you can make a massive difference.

So, the idiot who dropped his cell phone caused a multi-car accident.  That's something that I want to have happen to me...NOT!  If this idiot didn't have a cell phone, would there have been a multi-car accident?  NO!

If my daughter was involved in a serious accident, no one would call me, they'd call her husband.  Why would anyone call me?  If I were to have a heart attack or a stroke, I wouldn't want anyone to be near me....I would much rather prefer to just die alone.  That is my hope.....to just die alone, with no one around me.  Why would anyone want to have anyone watch them die?  No, for me, I want to die alone with no one watching me, and hopefully, that will happen.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am a very unemotional person....I can't feel happy, sad, excited, whatever, I don't feel anything, so any news,whether it's good or bad, doesn't affect me.  If I were to come home from the food store to find that my house had burned down, oh well, that's life.....it would have no effect on me, because nothing affects me.  It's because of that, that I hate cell phones...no one needs one, they are just an overpriced luxury that no one needs, but wants to have for whatever reason.  Could you, or anyone else, exist without a cell phone?  Yes, so why have one?....to pay the ridiculous monthly fees to the phone company, just to say that you have a cell phone?.....so that you can be contacted 24/7 for no apparent reason?  Sorry, but I don't see the logic in that.

30 minutes ago, Hammer said:

So, the idiot who dropped his cell phone caused a multi-car accident.  That's something that I want to have happen to me...NOT!  If this idiot didn't have a cell phone, would there have been a multi-car accident?  NO!

If the kid who took a gun to his school, arranged to meet his friends in the lunchroom, and then murdered 4 of them, severely wounding a 5th, before turning the gun on himself didn'[t have a gun, none of it would have happened.

BTW, there are other distraction items for driving as well.  Food and drink being biggies here.

It is the same logic.  Are people rude.  YES!  Are people idiots?  YES!  Are people inconsiderate?  YES!  Can people sometimes be downright evil?  YES!  But the cell phone is no more to blame for their behavior than a gun, or the subway foot long meatball someone is munching on in traffic and who rear ends the guy in front of them when a meatball falls into his lap.

My mother had perfected horrible phone etiquette long before either of us had cell phones.  Call waiting is a horrible feature for her as she can't just let it ring.  So I would call her (land line half way across the country racking up long distance charges).  Every time call waiting beeped, she'd put me on hold to find out who the other person was.  A few times she even forgot I was there.  I ended up making it policy to hang up on her if it took longer than 60 seconds to get back.  I still do it now that long distance charges are a thing of the past (don't pay them on my cell phone).  As my entire family is a couple thousand miles from me, that's a really nice benefit.  Not why I have one, but it is nice.

No one needs a cell phone?  A cell phone is a requirement for my job.  If I didn't have one already, my work would provide one for me.

A previous job also required a cell phone.  I spent most of my days on the road bouncing from store location to store location.  I'd end up covering most of western Washington.  In that case my work did provide me one.  It was a requirement for my job.  It was nice though.  I got to see a lot of areas of the state that I wouldn't have gotten around to seeing otherwise.  :)

You are trying to push your biases on others.  So you don't feel you need a cell phone.  Fine.  I won't argue that subject.  But don't you dare try to say that a valuable tool is useless for everyone because you don't like them.

buddy7 and janice21475 like this

14 hours ago, Kit said:

Not really.  They are both tools being poorly or dangerously used.  A guy reaching for his cell phone which had fallen on the door while on the highway in rush hour traffic ended with a multicar accident!!!!

Well Kit, another story about our cell phones:

Sometime ago as a rule, I being the first manager in on keys to unlock my works unit, a group of factories, done all the doors to let the workers in, probably around 05.45 hrs got to my desk at about 06.00 hrs, just about to sit down to my first cup of coffee, took a few sips looked up and saw my despatch supervisor at the door, questioned? What do you want this time of the morning? He cowardly said in stressed manner, one of our drivers in the despatch area reversing, ran over one of my despatch labours.

I put my coffee down, grab my Android smart phone and proceed to the despatch area, same time making a call to emergencies (paramedics) once I got connected, by that time I was standing over the poor guy looking all mangle-up on the concrete floor. The paramedic’s team stated “stay on the phone and give us a feedback on what condition the guy was in, until the paramedics get there”.

As it happen, a paramedic depot was stationed the next street on the industrial estate, which was handy.

By that time this guy was bleeding through his trousers around the knee, paramedics arrive, my call ended with the paramedic’s office team, all this must have taken from start to taking him to A&E I would say about 8 minutes. We later learned this guy knee was crushed by the impact and bruised ribs. Could be more serious. A land line would be no good for this incident, save time and allowed me to have a one to one with the paramedic’s office on his condition while he was laying on the concrete floor.:(

Edited by buddy7
Word!
TX_Clint and janice21475 like this

There are over 2.6 billion smartphone users worldwide. 

According to Statistics, the overall number of mobile phone users reached 4.43 billion and this number is expected to grow to 4.77 billion in 2017. This is big business, bet the land line industry are literally shi**ing their selves on the loss of revenue to the cell phones companies.

598041abc7e5e_thequeen.jpg.72338383ec7349920438c922f738f251.jpg

HRH: The Queen having a one to one with her grandson Harry on the use of a cell phone, do you think they can afford it? Course they can, Buddy! The Royals one of the richest families in the world. No doubt about it, they've got a few bobs.:D:D As rule I like our Royal family, the old ones are a bit stuck-up and stuffy, but the younger ones mixed very well with the public. So if a smart phone is good enough for them, it's goog enough for me.

17 hours ago, Kit said:

If the kid who took a gun to his school, arranged to meet his friends in the lunchroom, and then murdered 4 of them, severely wounding a 5th, before turning the gun on himself didn'[t have a gun, none of it would have happened.

BTW, there are other distraction items for driving as well.  Food and drink being biggies here.

It is the same logic.  Are people rude.  YES!  Are people idiots?  YES!  Are people inconsiderate?  YES!  Can people sometimes be downright evil?  YES!  But the cell phone is no more to blame for their behavior than a gun, or the subway foot long meatball someone is munching on in traffic and who rear ends the guy in front of them when a meatball falls into his lap.

My mother had perfected horrible phone etiquette long before either of us had cell phones.  Call waiting is a horrible feature for her as she can't just let it ring.  So I would call her (land line half way across the country racking up long distance charges).  Every time call waiting beeped, she'd put me on hold to find out who the other person was.  A few times she even forgot I was there.  I ended up making it policy to hang up on her if it took longer than 60 seconds to get back.  I still do it now that long distance charges are a thing of the past (don't pay them on my cell phone).  As my entire family is a couple thousand miles from me, that's a really nice benefit.  Not why I have one, but it is nice.

No one needs a cell phone?  A cell phone is a requirement for my job.  If I didn't have one already, my work would provide one for me.

A previous job also required a cell phone.  I spent most of my days on the road bouncing from store location to store location.  I'd end up covering most of western Washington.  In that case my work did provide me one.  It was a requirement for my job.  It was nice though.  I got to see a lot of areas of the state that I wouldn't have gotten around to seeing otherwise.  :)

You are trying to push your biases on others.  So you don't feel you need a cell phone.  Fine.  I won't argue that subject.  But don't you dare try to say that a valuable tool is useless for everyone because you don't like them.

I disagree that a cell phone is a requirement for your job.  If you held this job 20 years ago, there were no cell phones, so would you still be able to perform your job?  Cell phones are NOT a necessity, they are a convenience, plain and simple.  We lived for 100 years without cell phones, so why does anyone think that they NEED a cell phone?  My parents never needed one, my grandparents never needed one, so why do people think they need one now?....oh, that's right, because this convenience is available to them, so they just HAVE to use it.  Cell phones are nothing more that a convenience, not a necessity.

Call phones ARE a requirement for many jobs especially in the IT industry. My DIL has one supplied to her by her employer and he expects her to use it.

Don't get me started on things your grandparents didn't have. I remember things from my childhood and there are many things they didn't have because they simply weren't invented. Theirs was a very different world. Heavens, phones were often on party lines, with different rings for each phone and noisy partners often listened to others phone calls. Phone numbers could be anything from 3 to 5 digits. There was no TV until the 1950's. few automatic washers and even fewer dryers. Not everyone had a car and many people used an ice box not a fridge. As kids on hot summer days we followed the ice truck to it's next stop and begged for a chip pf ice. I could go on but suffice it to say the argument that your grandparents didn't use them doesn't wash.

Hammer you can argue your point until you are blue in the face and it won't change anyone else's opinion. If you can't see the value of having a cell phone that's you and only you and frankly I don't care. Please allow the rest of us to have our opinions too

buddy7 and janice21475 like this

3 hours ago, Hammer said:

I disagree that a cell phone is a requirement for your job.  If you held this job 20 years ago, there were no cell phones, so would you still be able to perform your job?  Cell phones are NOT a necessity, they are a convenience, plain and simple.  We lived for 100 years without cell phones, so why does anyone think that they NEED a cell phone?  My parents never needed one, my grandparents never needed one, so why do people think they need one now?....oh, that's right, because this convenience is available to them, so they just HAVE to use it.  Cell phones are nothing more that a convenience, not a necessity.

My job didn't exist 20 years ago.  For the most part garages weren't equipped with computer networks, weren't tying in to a national network.  Twenty years ago home computers were rare and the software my company makes wouldn't have even been possible, much less commercially viable.  And Hammer, I happen to know for a fact from a previous conversation that you use software very similar to what my company makes.

For grins, lets say my job did exist back then or a now without cell phones.  And I would be horribly limited in how fast I could respond to potential problems.  Issues would hang around until someone happened to notice.  And then they would have to call me on a land line.  And I might not be there because its a Saturday night and I'm out with a friend.  I get home late, don't check my messages because I'm tired, and now its the next day before I am even aware that the issue exists.  In the mean time, my business is down.  Customers can't contact us.  Purchases cannot be made.  Support or Sales cannot be contacted.

Or I'd have to have a pager, which wouldn't be able to tell me anything.  Then I'd have to find a phone, hope I have the right change for a pay phone, so I could call and get a vague response that something is broken, which is pretty useless information.

With alerts sent via text message to my phone, I normally know about issues within 5 minutes of them having started.  I know if the office looses power.  I know if the internet connection goes down.  In most cases I can respond to and fix the issue before anyone else is even aware that a problem existed in the first place.  Sometimes I can even fix the problem from my phone sitting on my friend's couch.  A 10 minute pause in our game or conversation and we're off again.  Without my phone, it would be the end of our visit.

Twenty years ago this forum wouldn't have existed.  The world wide web was still pretty much unknown and primarily inhabited by collage students putting up walls of text because it was new and fun.

Like it or not, the world changes.  How things are done changes.  Whether or not you like it, change happens.

I really don't give a rat's rear whether or not you have a cell phone.  But again, don't apply your bias to the rest of the world.

janice21475 and buddy7 like this

Well, my opinion isn't a bias, it's a fact.  Cell phones are a convenience, not a necessity, and anyone who thinks that they are a necessity is out of touch with reality.  Everyone today can exist without a cell phone, but they think that they need a cell phone because it makes their life easier.  Well guess what, sure it makes their life easier because cell phones are convenient.  Why can't anyone understand that?  Cell phones are merely a convenience, not a necessity.  To everyone who owns a cell phone, let me ask you this....if you didn't own a cell phone, would you be able to survive or would you die?  I doubt that anyone would die, which proves my point....cell phones are NOT a necessity, they are just a convenience.  Is everyone blind to this fact?  To everyone who owns a cell phone, turn it off, place in a drawer, and leave it there for a month.  What would happen?  Absolutely nothing!  You would go on with your life, and nothing would happen to you, so why do you think you need a cell phone?  You DON'T, you just like the convenience of having one.  I'm sorry, but I will never believe that anyone NEEDS a cell phone, no matter what their profession is.  Cell phones are just an easier way to be contacted as opposed to landlines, but that doesn't make them a necessity, it just makes them more CONVENIENT.  Can't anyone see that fact?  Apparently not, because the responses I've gotten in this thread are people trying to justify their NEED for a cell phone, which to me is totally ridiculous....you don't NEED a cell phone, you just want to have one because it's more CONVENIENT than a landline.  Again, cell phones are a convenience, not a necessity.

Edited by Hammer

11 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Well, my opinion isn't a bias, it's a fact.  Cell phones are a convenience, not a necessity, and anyone who thinks that they are a necessity is out of touch with reality.

For that matter so are all phones, televisions, computers, radios, electricity, plumbing, central heating, air conditioning, pre packaged foods, most medications, cars, trains, planes, and similar.

janice21475 and dowling gram like this

Just now, Kit said:

For that matter so are all phones, televisions, computers, radios, electricity, plumbing, central heating, air conditioning, pre packaged foods, most medications, cars, trains, planes, and similar.

No, all of the things that you mentioned don't intrude on people's lives the way cell phones do.  A television, computer, radios, electricity, etc., don't force you to stop what you're doing, to stop talking to who you are talking to, to divert your attention to this convenience, regardless if you are at home or out in public.  What I don't get is why people are trying to justify their cell phones when there is no justification for them.  Don't try to relate cell phone abuse (as I call it), to anything else, because there is no justification for it.  Cell phones are an intrusion on people's lives, yet people accept that as being okay.  Well I don't, which is why I hate cell phones.  Do you think that it's okay to stop in the middle of a conversation with someone to answer your cell phone?  Why?  That cell phone call doesn't need to be answered right away, but I have never met anyone who doesn't answer that call....as if that call is a life or death situation.  To me that's just rude, and while it's the person who is being rude, the cell phone is the reason they are being rude...they just HAVE to answer it right now, and ignore me.  Have you yourself ever ignored your cell phone when it rang, because you were talking to someone in person?  I bet your answer is no, and if it is no, don't you consider that to be rude?

3 minutes ago, Hammer said:

No, all of the things that you mentioned don't intrude on people's lives the way cell phones do.  A television, computer, radios, electricity, etc., don't force you to stop what you're doing, to stop talking to who you are talking to, to divert your attention to this convenience, regardless if you are at home or out in public. 

You ever heard of news addiction?  I've witnessed it.  24/7 various news channels blaring baring any ability for socializing, getting out of the house, or similar.  It started being well known after the gulf wars.  My parents got sucked into it.  TV news completely dominated their lives.

And phones in general.  They don't have to be mobile for their rings to demand attention.  I've mentioned my mother's hangup about phones having to be instantly answered and whatever is on the phone takes priority over everything else.

Radios, you haven't spent enough time around teenaged kids (at least in my day) who could go around for days with headphones on barely responding to their families unless they were forced to do so.

Computers, meet my nephews game addiction.  He almost didn't manage to graduate from highschool not from his phone but from his computer where his gaming friends were always wanting him to sign on, etc.

But, as I have said over and over and over, cell phones do not demand your attention any more than any of those other items.  I have to pay attention to mine for work as I stated before, but that's just to see if I have an alert or call from work.  My husband's sits on his bedside table unless he leaves the house.  As he primarily works from home, this is most of the time.  He usually uses it as an alarm clock or ebook reader.

Personally I feel Facebook is an utter waste of time.  I don't even have an account of my own.  It consumes people's lives.  I have a coworker who can't go more than 15 minutes without checking his account and what messages might have been left for him.  But that doesn't mean I feel Facebook is useless for everyone.  Its just not something I personally have need.

janice21475 and meyery2k like this

My cell phone does not intrude on my life or anyone else's life. Most of the time it sits in my purse. I keep it there so it's there when I'm out and need to use it for some reason. On my last visit to my son as I was coming home on the bus late in the evening the lady next to me told me she'd be calling a taxi when we arrived. Since we were 10 minutes away I suggested I use my cell to call one so it would be there when we arrived and it was. That's a convenience I wouldn't be without

If I'm talking to someone on it and I get a text I don't end my conversation. I answer the text when I'm finished my call. A text is not like a phone call that needs to be answered immediately.

We could go on like this forever but I think it's time we ended this thread and called it an impasse and difference of opinion. No one is going to change their mind

janice21475 and Fraser like this