Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hammer

Cell phones....

132 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, dowling gram said:

My cell phone does not intrude on my life or anyone else's life. Most of the time it sits in my purse. I keep it there so it's there when I'm out and need to use it for some reason. On my last visit to my son as I was coming home on the bus late in the evening the lady next to me told me she'd be calling a taxi when we arrived. Since we were 10 minutes away I suggested I use my cell to call one so it would be there when we arrived and it was. That's a convenience I wouldn't be without

 

If I'm talking to someone on it and I get a text I don't end my conversation. I answer the text when I'm finished my call. A text is not like a phone call that needs to be answered immediately.

 

We could go on like this forever but I think it's time we ended this thread and called it an impasse and difference of opinion. No one is going to change their mind

DG, now you are a lot of what I have been describing....you have a cell phone in case something is needed, like calling that taxi for that lady.  The way you use your cell phone is how I feel everyone should be using their cell phones.  I also agree with you that I will never agree with most people on cell phones, so I will not use my cell phone for anything except when my car breaks down, and others can chat and text away all day long on their cell phones, if that's how they want to use their cell phones.  My opinions don't make me right, they are just my opinions.:)

Edited by Hammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have been lost without my cell phone these past few weeks.  We took a trip to Scotland and I used my phone for maps, pictures, train times, communicating with my elderly father, time change info, bus schedules, tickets to museums and monuments.  My phone was my constant travel aid.  

 

I am am doomed to love the convenience of a smart phone.  It was way smarter than me.  

buddy7 and janice21475 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are over 2.6 billion smartphone users worldwide. 

According to Statistics, the overall number of mobile phone users reached 4.43 billion and this number is expected to grow to 4.77 billion in 2017. This is big business, bet the land line industry are literally repelling their selves on the loss of revenue to the cell phone companies.

 

Not in my time of course, but most likely in my grandchildren’s time, the land line will be a thing of the past. Redundant worldwide or near enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, buddy7 said:

There are over 2.6 billion smartphone users worldwide. 

According to Statistics, the overall number of mobile phone users reached 4.43 billion and this number is expected to grow to 4.77 billion in 2017. This is big business, bet the land line industry are literally repelling their selves on the loss of revenue to the cell phone companies.

 

Not in my time of course, but most likely in my grandchildren’s time, the land line will be a thing of the past. Redundant worldwide or near enough.

I don't think the landline will be going away any time soon, there are too many people who connect to the internet via DSL, not to mention businesses that use fax machines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A cell phone is a computer in your pocket.  I use mine for all sorts of things including banking, depositing cheques, as well as using the GPS when I am not sure how to get somewhere.  I have unlimited texting and 1 gig of data so I can do anything I want for $42 a month.  I send photos, receive photos, look up stuff, make phone calls, mostly I text to let someone know if I am going to be late, have a problem etc.  If a person is determined to hate cell phones there's not much you can do to convince them otherwise, which is a shame, as they are very versatile and handy and can be a lifesaver in an emergency.  We dont have a land line, dont need one.  I dont know anyone with a landline anymore!

 

Fax machines are pretty much redundant now, sure there's some left but not many.

Edited by funkynassau
buddy7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, funkynassau said:

A cell phone is a computer in your pocket.  I use mine for all sorts of things including banking, depositing cheques, as well as using the GPS when I am not sure how to get somewhere.  I have unlimited texting and 1 gig of data so I can do anything I want for $42 a month.  I send photos, receive photos, look up stuff, make phone calls, mostly I text to let someone know if I am going to be late, have a problem etc.  If a person is determined to hate cell phones there's not much you can do to convince them otherwise, which is a shame, as they are very versatile and handy and can be a lifesaver in an emergency.  We dont have a land line, dont need one.  I dont know anyone with a landline anymore!

 

Fax machines are pretty much redundant now, sure there's some left but not many.

Maybe you can answer something for me that I don't understand....I see the TV ads stating that you can have unlimited text and data for $-- a month.  Then it says that if you go over 1GB a month, you will be charged $-- per GB.  If you have unlimited text and data, why is there a monthly limit on it?  I have never understood that, so maybe you can enlighten me, since I have no experience using a cell phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I havent seen that particular ad and based on what you say that makes no sense.  Unlimited should be unlimited.   I am in Canada and cell phone plans are different than in the US and other countries so I really dont know the answer to your question, sorry.

buddy7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not seen that one either.  Now I have seen where they will throttle the bandwidth after a certain amount on unlimited plans.  Its not something I have run into myself however.

 

Aduccembimb and buddy7 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On your computer or cell phone log into WaveDiect.net search for " bandwidth throttling vs unlimited data ". The explanation is there.

Just one of the multitude of information that can be found using your cell phone. 

 

buddy7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt that TELCO marketing is all smoke and mirrors that you need a lawyer to understand.  But TEXT uses the CELL network the same way as a voice call would.  DATA can use the WIFI but also be available over the CELL connection.  Even my ancient flip phone could send TEXT but had no SMART feature to use DATA.

 

I have heard the unlimited TEXT and X# of voice minutes for a fixed fee but the DATA is usually a separate item (with a big $$$$ and limits.)

 

In any case the offers are designed to get your money (as much as possible)  and provide some service (as little as possible). 

buddy7 and TX_Clint like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hammer said:

I don't think the landline will be going away any time soon, there are too many people who connect to the internet via DSL, not to mention businesses that use fax machines.

 

With the way technology are going today Hammer, how can we not follow this thread, very compelling. Most of your post, you painfully made us aware of your dislike for the cell phone. Well! It will be extremely difficult to try and remove your opinion. So I won’t try.

 

Want to share something I picked up on my research today:

 

I personally believe we are heading towards a world of solely mobile to mobile calling, with a landline visible for location and comfort that the company has an office. Is the next move to have a way that your mobile number can be an extension to the main landline number so people can still call directly via the main VOIP or landline number?

The mobile has become a point of ease, you can have all the numbers you need in your phone, you can sync your phone contacts easily with many software packages, the mobile phone just makes life easier, you have every number you need at the tip of your fingers, you can search a business on your smartphone and call without having to change phone or dial in the number.

 

Some of our posters will understand this much better:

 

IP-Enabled ServicesVoice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), is a technology that allows you to make voice calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a regular (or analogue) phone line.

 

It’s really looking that way, Hammer, the end is near for the land lines.

TX_Clint, janice21475, funkynassau and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buddy7 said:

IP-Enabled ServicesVoice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), is a technology that allows you to make voice calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a regular (or analogue) phone line.

 

 

My IP, Comcast, keeps asking me if I want to add this to my Internet/TV bundle (Xfinity Voice) for another $40 a month. I keep telling them I already have a phone (landline) through AT&T. They say that $40 is a good deal. I tell them that my phone (AT&T Slimline) cost me $9.99 from Radio Shack and that AT&T and California Lifeline charge me $8.34 a month for that. That's usually when the conversation gets filled with air.

funkynassau, Hammer, janice21475 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My company uses VoIP for our phone system.  Works very well given we have two offices in two different states.  Benefit is that you can plug one of these phones into any internet connection and it works regardless of where it is physically.

 

We use VoIP at home as well, part of our Business internet connection package.  The telco in our area is a total mess and we had way too many outages.  We eventually just gave up and fired them.  Uses the same phones we always used before.

Edited by Kit
buddy7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buddy7 said:

 

With the way technology are going today Hammer, how can we not follow this thread, very compelling. Most of your post, you painfully made us aware of your dislike for the cell phone. Well! It will be extremely difficult to try and remove your opinion. So I won’t try.

 

Want to share something I picked up on my research today:

 

I personally believe we are heading towards a world of solely mobile to mobile calling, with a landline visible for location and comfort that the company has an office. Is the next move to have a way that your mobile number can be an extension to the main landline number so people can still call directly via the main VOIP or landline number?

The mobile has become a point of ease, you can have all the numbers you need in your phone, you can sync your phone contacts easily with many software packages, the mobile phone just makes life easier, you have every number you need at the tip of your fingers, you can search a business on your smartphone and call without having to change phone or dial in the number.

 

Some of our posters will understand this much better:

 

IP-Enabled ServicesVoice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), is a technology that allows you to make voice calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a regular (or analogue) phone line.

 

It’s really looking that way, Hammer, the end is near for the land lines.

Okay, so yes, you have all of that information at your fingertips....until the cell phone battery dies, or you are out of range of a cell tower.  If a person were to break down in the middle of a city at 3am, and their cell phone battery was dead, how would they call for help?  With a pay phone, there was always one on every other corner.  As it stands now, every cell phone user is at the mercy of their cell phone's battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck, Hammer I have a portable charger for my cell phone that works anywhere, anytime. It is quite small and has a usb port for your phone charger cable to plug into. You can pick one up cheap at any CVS. I can also plug into my car or my house to charge. I've never had the issue of a dead cell battery and there are no pay phones around where you might need one.

But, once you've gone Egyptian on something. :)

 

funkynassau and buddy7 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know where you live but I have never in my life no matter where I was seen a pay phone on every corner.

Where I grew up you'd find them outside gas stations, grocery stores, and similar.  Actually now that I think of it there's a restaurant that currently has 2 pay phones in its entrance area.

 

In large cities, payphones were places where bums crashed or used as toilets (the reason booths weren't very popular).  Or kids vandalized, or similar.  Even when I was a kid you might have to wander to find one that was working.

 

I have never had my battery die on me.  It gets plugged in every night when I go to bed and I have a 100% full battery the next morning which can last me a couple of days with normal usage.  If for some reason it gets low fast (I'm using it a LOT) I can plug it into the USB port of any computer to charge or plug it into my car adapter.  heck even the waiting area at the local airport has USB ports at the seats for charging devices, power outlets at your seat on flights, etc.

 

Anywhere I might break down without a cell phone signal, I will guarantee you there was never a pay phone nearby either.  Pay phones could never help you when you broke down or had a flat on the highway because they were never there either.  They weren't on rural roads either (my parents used to live in a rural area when I got married).

 

Oh and the joy of payphones . . .got to make sure you had the right change on you.  The local garage or AAA don't accept collect calls.

buddy7, janice21475, funkynassau and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I live in a different area, because, until cell phones became all the rage, you could find a pay phone most anywhere....even in the middle of nowhere.  Every store had one....grocery stores, fast food restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, doughnut shops, barber shops, in the middle of a highway, whatever.  When I was growing up, I lived in a row house in the city, and there was a pay phone less than 1/2 a block away, not to mention that every corner store had one.  There were at least 5 pay phones in a two block area.  Of course, back then, a pay phone call only cost 10¢.

 

If they had left all of the pay phones in place, I wouldn't have this cell phone....I would have no need for one.  I know that everyone is trying to emphasize the benefits of cell phones, but I have yet to see anyone mention the downside of cell phones.  I can see numerous downsides of cell phones, but no one ever seems to mention these...as if the cell phone is perfect.  As I mentioned, I will never make a phone call with this cell phone from my house because I live too far away from a cell phone tower.  If I'm lucky, I can get one bar on this phone....and I'm supposed to be happy with that?  If the phone company decides to eliminate landline phones, then I will have no way to make a phone call from my house....and this is progress?  I'm having to pay $30 a month for a cell phone that gives me the inability to make a phone call from my house?  Ah yes, so tell me why I need a cell phone, except to keep in my car in case I break down, and hopefully, if that happens, I will be in range of a cell phone tower?  I think that if everyone here who likes their cell phones, lived where I do, they might think again about how much they like their cell phones when they can't reach a cell phone tower and can't make a call....or do anything else with their cell phones.(Hey, look at all of these great apps I have on my cell phone!  I have to drive 5 miles in that direction to get a cell phone connection so that I can use them, but aren't they great?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one has said you need or have to have a cell phone.  What others are objecting to is your blanket statement that cells phones are useless and cause people to be rude.

 

So, other than cell phones being a relatively new means for people to be rude, what are the downsides you mention?

 

And as I mentioned before, I would have been royally screwed the night I broke my ankle without my phone.  Its extremely unlikely anyone would have found me and I wasn't exactly mobile at the time.

janice21475, funkynassau and buddy7 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kit said:

No one has said you need or have to have a cell phone.  What others are objecting to is your blanket statement that cells phones are useless and cause people to be rude.

 

So, other than cell phones being a relatively new means for people to be rude, what are the downsides you mention?

 

And as I mentioned before, I would have been royally screwed the night I broke my ankle without my phone.  Its extremely unlikely anyone would have found me and I wasn't exactly mobile at the time.

Kit, come to my house and let's see how well your cell phone works!  I bet that your cell phone would be totally useless at my house, but a landline phone would work perfectly, like they always do.  If you were to break your ankle near my house, your cell phone would be totally useless, but you could always stop at a nearby house and use their landline phone to call for help.  As I mentioned before, what good is a cell phone if it can't connect to a cell phone tower?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But my cell phone isn't totally useless where I am.  The carrier I chose has excellent coverage here, around home. work, and other places I frequent.  I don't care whether you have one, whether or not you like them, whether or not it works where you live, or similar.  I only object to the blanket statement that since you don't like them you think no one else should either.

 

Ok, I see you do not have a good picture of where I was when I broke my ankle.  I was about a mile or so away from any house, on a mostly gravel side road that has absolutely no through traffic at night in the dark.  And I wasn't on the road, I was on a path off that road.  I would have had to pull myself along the dirt and mud and gravel about a mile, get myself through a security closed gate (have to enter a code on a pad I wouldn't have been able to reach) and then continue to pull myself for another block or so until I got to my house.  Or try to wake up a house along the way and hope someone was there and that they would come to the door.  Oh, and it would have been unlikely I could have reached their doorbell, so I would have had to resort to banging on it with my fist.

 

I'm a 5'1" woman in a large metropolitan area.  You do NOT walk up to a stranger's house and ask to come inside to use their phone.  That is stupid to the extreme.  They might be nice people.  They might not be so nice people.  They might decide that I would be an easy target.  For the same matter, I would be extremely uncomfortable if a stranger came to my door and asked to come in to use my phone.

 

Or, I could do what I did, stay where I was, pull my phone out of my pocket, and call my husband.

 

You didn't answer my question.  What is the downside to having a cell phone as compared to not having one at all?

funkynassau and janice21475 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hammer where do you live that cell phone service is so poor or non existent?  I used to live on a farm in the boonies in mid west Onario, for 26 years.  My phone worked fine there.  The signals bounce of satellites in the sky, so being rural didnt matter.   I could be out in the middle of the lake and it would have still worked.  You must be in some strange Cell Helle area!

Edited by funkynassau
janice21475 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coverage can vary based on terrain and tower locations.  My parents were in a cell black hole until they got about a mile away from their house.  But the phone wasn't for use at home but when they were driving the 20 miles of rural county roads in case of break downs, flat tires, etc.

 

It was similar when we went on vacation.  About 2 miles out from the place we stayed we lost cell connection.  It was a nice break for me as someone who has to be tied to her phone.  Made me disconnect from work.  That network is my baby.  I built it from scratch  with a budget of next to nothing. A lot of hard work put into it and that makes it difficult to walk away, even if its just for a short vacation.

 

Signal can also greatly vary by carrier as well.  One carrier has absolutely horrible coverage at my house while the one I'm on now has excellent coverage.  Actually they have excellent coverage for the entire Seattle area, which is why we went to them. 

 

One of my coworkers recently moved from an office in another state to here in the Seattle area.  Before he moved his family, he spoke to a few of the neighbors to find out which carriers had a good signal for where he had bought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OneEye said:

 

My IP, Comcast, keeps asking me if I want to add this to my Internet/TV bundle (Xfinity Voice) for another $40 a month. I keep telling them I already have a phone (landline) through AT&T. They say that $40 is a good deal. I tell them that my phone (AT&T Slimline) cost me $9.99 from Radio Shack and that AT&T and California Lifeline charge me $8.34 a month for that. That's usually when the conversation gets filled with air.

 

This modern technology is big business, course they’ll keep asking you to add other things to your existing package, I get this all the time from my provider, but you know some times you just have to say no! Enough is enough. When it comes to paying out money someone out there, always trying to get you. But somehow I think you already know this.

This new technology can be a bit of a pain!!!!! But for me, in all walks of life today it helps me, and to be quite franked with you I can’t do without it.

I’m sure you’ll remember this.

That’s progress for you, and it’s even getting better.

 

the block.jpg

smart phone.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also live in a suburban black hole.  The cell companies here fight for the towers and it seems sharing is a problem.  I have a cell tower less than three blocks from us and on at the top of the hill above my house.  AT&T gets no service here nor T-Mobile.  We switched to Verizon and get ok service.  We are not in the middle of nowhere.  But, we did have to search for a service that worked. 

 

My my husband does not love technology.  I get the new phones when they come out, he lets me and keeps my old one.  But, time marches on and lamenting about the past or not keeping up just puts you behind.  

 

I'll say bad things about technology.  I hate how intrusive it is.  I distrust my texts and calls are in fact, private.  I don't like being advertised to at ever click of my iPad or iPhone.  I don't trust Apple nor Microsoft.  I dislike how dependent we have become on gadgets and we don't talk to each other anymore.  However, time will not stand still for me nor my dislikes.  It doesn't care.  So I try and learn, keep up as best I can so I am not left sitting in my Studebaker as the Teslas zoom by.    Time won't stop for me.  It will just plow me down and leave me in the dust.  

 

I do however like that as I age, I have Waze to guide me on the roads.  I like I can talk to my kids even when they are out and about (which is always).  I love the safety factor when I am walking my dogs and something happens.  I love when I travel I can find a restaurant, Road or landmark and I love that I don't look like a tourist overseas.  That can put a huge target on your back.  

 

So so we adjust, or we don't.  We certainly aren't going to change things.  

 

funkynassau, Nnn, janice21475 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, funkynassau said:

Hammer where do you live that cell phone service is so poor or non existent?  I used to live on a farm in the boonies in mid west Onario, for 26 years.  My phone worked fine there.  The signals bounce of satellites in the sky, so being rural didnt matter.   I could be out in the middle of the lake and it would have still worked.  You must be in some strange Cell Helle area!

No, your cell phone signal is not bounced off of a satellite, it connects to a cell phone tower.  The 100 milliwatt (0.1 watt) or less, that a cell phone puts out, could never reach a satellite.  By law, cell phone towers must be a certain distance away from state lines, so as to not interfere with the neighboring state's cell phone towers.  I live on the state line, meaning that I am as far away from a cell phone tower as you could possible get, while living in a residential area.

 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, when my daughter was in college, she moved in with me.  While I had a landline installed in her room with a separate phone number than mine, she rarely used it.  She got a cell phone, but, like me, she could only get 1 bar or less.  To make a call, she had to walk out on the back porch and hold her cell phone up as high as she could reach, to get one bar.  She took the phone back to the store, told the salesman the problem, so he told her to pick out another phone.  He canceled the contract on the first phone, and wrote up a new one for the second phone.  Well the second phone had the same problem, so she took it back again.  After doing this for 4 cell phones, the salesman was getting frustrated, and said that he couldn't keep writing up new contracts and canceling the old ones.  I told my daughter to let me go with her to the phone store to tell the salesman that if we couldn't connect to a tower, then what good was the phone?  I wanted to tell the salesman to give us every phone he had in the store so that we could take them home, and if we found one that worked at my house, then we would bring the other phones back, and buy the one that worked.  My daughter wouldn't let me go to the store with her, because she knows how angry I can get when someone gets angry at us because their product or service doesn't work for us...like it's our fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0