Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hammer

Cell phones....

132 posts in this topic

Oh man, I just had to come back and share something I heard on a video about "opinions".

Won't go into the subject matter, but one person was presenting his opinion. It was being questioned, much to the annoyance of that person.

The other person trying to question and nail down exactly why the the first person believed why he did finally said "I'm sorry that logic demolishes your position."

I love it.

32 minutes ago, LaRue said:

Not so Fraser.

However, making black and white statements, such as above, or that a particular item is useless, period, end stop, and promoting that as "just my opinion" causes me to wonder how well thought out the opinion is. 

An opinion is something that is formulated by considering various sources of information, willingness to change that opinion based on new information presented, and not merely employing some personal dogma.

Some people view changing an opinion, especially if it's one that was just a visceral gushing as a sign of weakness. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong Fraser, but you do have the option of not even looking at this particular thread, especially if it's for some reason bothering you. 

Personally, I think this thread has been a great insight into a number of members personalities. We're not all just walking around thinking about our blood glucose level 24/7. I'm enjoying reading a lot of comments made. Feel like I'm able to develop connections. 

Frankly, your above statement is rather passive agressive. I have fallen into it by even adressing it so far, but I'm not going to be someone who rushes to say "oh no no fraser, we all appreciate your opinions! Here, lets all (((fraser))).

Not having the same opinion isn't the same as not appreciating it. Take it or leave it for what it's worth.

I can appreciate the idea that you'd like this thread to just quietly go away. I can get that you presented it as some sort of joining of forces where you'd like people just not respond with anything. Then, if someone does comment, you can state no one appreciates the team building exercise you propose of joining together and doing nothing.

I'm so past the whole initial subject matter. But that doesn't mean there's been lack of appreciation, or conversely, willingness to just "make nice" and becoming as bland and featureless as possible. 

LaRue, I agree with this post you made, however, an opinion isn't always formulated by considering various sources, it can be formulated by personal experience.  I hate HP (Hewlett Packard), because I have an older printer that, when I bought it for $400 some years ago, it was their flagship photo printer, and it does a great job.  Once I got this 64 bit Windows computer, I wasn't able to use the printer since HP didn't want to be bothered making 64 bit drivers for this printer, for people using 64 bit computers.  I had an old laptop running a 32 bit version of Windows XP, so I used that laptop to connect to this printer, and I was still able to use the printer.  I just went to order new ink cartridges for this printer, and HP no longer makes those cartridges, so I guess I'm supposed to just throw this printer away.  If anyone is wondering why I don't just get another printer, I have another printer, well 2 other printers actually, but this HP printer uses a special type of HP paper that is perfect for jewel box inserts, and I make a lot of inserts.  The other printers I have don't do anywhere near as good of a job with these inserts as the HP does.(the HP printer uses dye based inks, whereas the other printers use pigment based inks.)

So, my dislike of HP is based on my experiences with them, but I agree with you in that opinions can be formulated based on various sources of information, but that's not the only way they can be formulated.:)

29 minutes ago, LaRue said:

Various sources of information includes personal experience.

Yes, but not if those personal experiences are solely with one source.  If it's from one source, then it could not be from various sources, since it's only one source.  One source is not various sources...

Gotcha.

Well, in my view, if one is going to hold forth, they should rely on other sources as well, compare and contrast, compile and go from there.

16 hours ago, LaRue said:

Gotcha.

Well, in my view, if one is going to hold forth, they should rely on other sources as well, compare and contrast, compile and go from there.

I agree, but I think that most people develop a bad opinion about something because they have had a bad experience with that thing, whether it be an object or a service.  If I took my car in for service to XXX Motors, and they screwed my car up, I'd never take my car back there, and I would have a negative opinion of them, and never recommend them to anyone.  Of course, my experience might have been a rare occurrence at XXX Motors, and their service might usually be top notch, but since my car is an expensive investment, I wouldn't want to take my car there a second time, just to see if it was a rare occurrence, and to see if my opinion was wrong.:)

The reason I started this thread was to share my thoughts about cell phones with others.  As I have mentioned a number of times, my thoughts about cell phones are just my opinions, and my opinions are based on my own personal needs and experiences.  I realize that we each have different needs when  it comes to cell phones....people like having the ability to be contacted when they are away from home, they want the ability to be able to text others, they want to have a cell phone camera handy, they want to be able to use a cell phone as a GPS, they want to be able to surf the internet when they are away from home.....etc.  Myself, I don't want any of those things.  When I leave home, I don't want anyone to contact me for any reason, even in a life or death situation.  I don't want to text anyone, I don't want to use a cell phone camera, I have a Garmin GPS which is far better than any cell phone GPS, so I don't need a cell phone to use as a GPS, I don't want to surf the internet when I'm away from home.  There is nothing that a cell phone can offer me that I want, which is why I have a negative opinion of cell phones. 

When I said that no one needs a cell phone, that is true, they just like the convenience of having one.  Everyone could survive without a cell phone, but having one makes things more convenient for them, so they are going to defend their need for a cell phone...I understand that.  It's just that in my case, I don't like anything about cell phones, so I have a negative opinion of them, and I always will....that's just me.