Hammer

Computer question...

24 posts in this topic

I was having issues with my Dell Dimension XPS 9100 computer, so I replaced the power supply (again), and while it boots up okay, and seems to be working fine, the power button, which is amber when I turn it on, then as Windows starts up, that amber turns white.  Well now it just stays amber, and I don't know why.  I have tried researching this, but I can't find any solutions as to why it stays amber.  Does anyone have any ideas about this?  I mean, the computer is working fine, but it's disconcerting seeing that amber light.  Should I be concerned about this?  Oh, the power supply that I removed was a 650 watt Cool Master supply, and I replaced it with an EVGA SuperNova, T2 series, 1000 watt, Titanium power supply, so this new power supply should be able to handle anything that this computer needs.

The changes in the power light color are reflective of boot checking. I would imagine that in the boot sequence the motherboard checks the power source for 'degrading, or any change in power output'...which is what you've done. First the boot goes through the bios...then through Windows. Good chance your bios recognizes it as "power"...the OS system sees it as "foreign". Look in your Event Log for anything your system is reporting.

The amber light thing seems to have corrected itself.  I booted up the computer today, and the amber light changed to the white light, like it usually does.  So far, everything seems to be working okay.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.  If this computer boots up okay for the next week, then I can only assume that the problem was the power supply.  If it doesn't boot up okay for the next week, then I'll probably need to get another computer, since to me, that means that there is something else wrong with this computer.....probably something with the motherboard.

I did manage to find a place that will build the computer configuration that I want....Digital Storm's Apollo series, and it won't cost me a ton of money, but until I see how this computer reacts with this new power supply, I will hold off on buying a new computer.  The only thing lacking with the Digital Storm computer is that it only has 8 USB ports, and I need at least 10, but I can get around that because my monitor has 4 USB ports on it, and my keyboard has 2 USB ports on it.

ran23 likes this

Another computer question...lately, I've noticed that when I surf the internet, the browser is very slow.  By slow I mean that, if I click on an e-mail, it takes a few seconds before it loads, instead of instantly opening the e-mail.  The same thing happens on numerous other websites that I frequent.  If I go to Youtube and click on a video there, it takes a few seconds before it comes up, then, once it starts, if I click on the "pause" button, the video will keep playing for a second or two before it pauses.  Also, when I am typing something, like this post, the letters that I've typed, take a second or two before they appear on the screen.  I have cleared the browser's cache (Firefox), but that didn't do anything.  Does anyone have any idea what could be the reason that the browser seems to be slow?

This is more likely to be caused by running processes than browser cache.  Do you have any add-ins to Firefox?  Try disabling one at a time and see if that reveals the culprit.  If it's not browser related, start looking at the Task Manager to see what processes are sucking up the most processing power.  You might have an errant program.  There are websites you can check to see what processes should be running for your particular Windows version.   

Edited by control
NoraWI likes this

Hammer, When you clear the cache it does not get rid of cookies. I don't know what Browser you use. I use Firefox and can edit the 'Cookies.' I delete any that are not necessary, I leave the one for here and other forums I frequent but delete all others. Even if you delete them all when you visit the site again & sign in you get a new one. Anyway, getting rid of all unnecessary ones speeds things up nicely. I try to do that at least once a week.

I hate it when the cookies add up and the computer slows to a crawl. Hope this helps,

Janice

A few things can cause your computer to slow down as Control mentions. Myself, I found with each upgrade in Firefox it got slower and slower...so I'm back to ver. 46.0.1 I also use a program called CCleaner from Piriform. Tidies up the computer and it also lets you pick cookies that you don't want to delete. Sometimes it's no more than a heavy load on the Internet backbone...but when I get that typing lag...I back out of everything, run CCleaner then log back in.

As to YouTube: That's a heavily accessed site. I'm surprised when anything loads fast there.

NoraWI and janice21475 like this

Another computer question....I have a number of software programs that allow me to edit videos, then burn them to a DVD, but I can't seem to find a program that allows me to add a number of different videos to a DVD, then allow me to add a chapter for each video, to the opening of the DVD.  I want to be able to insert a DVD into a DVD player, then have it open with a list of chapters that allows me to click on a chapter to view it, each chapter being a different video....like when you buy a DVD movie, you insert it into your DVD player, and it opens with a list of choices...Play Movie....Coming Attractions....Extras....etc. .  Is there a software program that does this?  If so, I haven't been able to find it, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend a program that they have used that does this.

First, the above question about finding a software program that will allow me to put a number of videos on a DVD, along with a menu that allows me to select which video I want to watch, has been taken care of.  I already had a program that did that, but I never used it for that, I used it mainly to create music CDs. (it's Roxio Creator NXT 2.  I think they're up to NXT 5 now.).

As for my browser running slow, I use Firefox, but I tried using Internet Explorer, and it does the same thing.  The computer runs fine with any other program, it's just slow with my browsers.  I didn't clear out the cookies in Firefox, mainly because Internet Explorer also runs slow, and I never use Internet Explorer, so it shouldn't have many, if any, cookies.

Before I reformatted my hard drive, I had Chrome installed, so I think I'll install that and see what happens.  Thanks to all for all the tips.

Another computer question...there are times when I'm typing something, like an e-mail, and I must hit some key on my Windows machine, that causes the typed text to act differently.  What happens is that, as I am typing, i'll notice that I misspelled a word, so I'll move the cursor back to the misspelled letter, click the mouse, but instead of the cursor being placed in front of the misspelled letter, it highlights the letter.  If I try to type in the correct letter, the next letter is removed and the letter that I just typed takes it's place.  Since I have now lost the next letter, I have to retype that letter again, but when I do, the NEXT letter is replaced with the letter I just typed.  When this happens, I have to re-type everything after the first misspelled letter.

And ideas why this happens, or what key I might have hit to cause this?

That is good to know. Something like that can drive a person batty. :wacko:

meyery2k likes this

8 hours ago, Hammer said:

but instead of the cursor being placed in front of the misspelled letter, it highlights the letter. 

The insert issue has been covered, so I thought I'd address this part of the question.  If a character is highlighted and you meant to just put the cursor between two characters, either clicking the mouse again or using your direction arrows (right or left arrow), you can position the cursor where you want it.  Many editors will let you select an entire word by double-clicking anywhere inside a word.  Triple-clicking will usually highlight the entire paragraph.

Thanks for the replies everyone!  What I ended up doing was to finish typing my e-mail, then after I sent that e-mail, I closed out the browser, then, restarted the browser, and it worked okay.  What I can't figure out, is what I did to cause that situation....did I accidentally hit some key on the keyboard, and if so, what key?

I know that when I use "Open Office" to type up my radio club's minutes from a club meeting, this happens all the time.  It irritated me so much, that I bought Microsoft Office to type up my club's minutes, but "Open Office" has some features that Microsoft Office doesn't, so I have to switch between the two for certain features.  When I type up the minutes now, I'll try that "insert" suggestion to see if that corrects the problem.

Hammer, Kit gave the answer, it was the Insert key that got you in that situation. Look on your keyboard, Insert is just to the right of the Backspace key. Or, you could say, directly above the Delete key. If it happens again, you can hit that key again in it will stop it's actions.

Thanks Janice!  I guess I must have tried to hit the 'back" key and ended up hitting the "insert" key by mistake.  This problem also happens frequently when I use "Open Office" to edit some text.  While I also have Microsoft Office, Open Office has some features that Office doesn't, so I sometimes use Open Office instead of Microsoft Office.

Hammer, it doesn't matter which app you are using, the insert key is the insert key. Hit it once and you start deleting as you type new letters. Hit it again and it inserts what you are typing without deleting anything. It is a toggle key... on/off. Very basic. If I may make a suggestion, go through your keyboard and try all the keys to learn what they do.

20 minutes ago, NoraWI said:

Hammer, it doesn't matter which app you are using, the insert key is the insert key. Hit it once and you start deleting as you type new letters.

Unless you want to go old school and use the best editor ever invented:  vi

NoraWI likes this

Control, I'm as old school as you can get... have been using various keyboards since early '50s and computers since early '60s. What is vi?

It just hit me! Unix! Haven't thought of it in years. Old school, indeed!

Edited by NoraWI

vi is a command line editor originally created for Unix.  I used it back in my college days.  I still use WinVi here and there for work.

22 hours ago, NoraWI said:

Hammer, it doesn't matter which app you are using, the insert key is the insert key. Hit it once and you start deleting as you type new letters. Hit it again and it inserts what you are typing without deleting anything. It is a toggle key... on/off. Very basic. If I may make a suggestion, go through your keyboard and try all the keys to learn what they do.

I'm afraid to go through my keyboard and hit each key to see what it will do, because if it does something that I don't like, I might not be able to figure out how to undo what I just did.  My keyboard is an X-Armor, back lit, mechanical keyboard, with Cherry, blue mechanical keys.  Each key has an LED under it to light up that key. The keys make a click when you push them in.  The click lets you know that the key was pushed in far enough to make contact.  Cherry makes a number of different mechanical keys, one just makes a soft click, and another one doesn't make any sound at all.  I like the loud click, so that's why I ordered this keyboard with the Cherry blue keys, since they make the loudest click.

DVD editing.  I use DVD Shrink 3.2 to pull out trailers, other languages, etc. and burn.  I used to burn movies for friends and leave French for them as an option.  

Try to type this Hammer. 72° That's about the most common alt keystroke I use.

The degree symbol is alt0176 °

23 hours ago, TX_Clint said:

Try to type this Hammer. 72° That's about the most common alt keystroke I use.

The degree symbol is alt0176 °

Yes, I posted a list of alt keystrokes here a while back.  There's alt0153 that gives the™ symbol, there's alt0162 that gives the ¢ symbol.  There's alt0169 that gives the © symbol.  There's alt0174 that gives the ® symbol.  There's alt0176 that gives the ° (degree) symbol.  There's alt0182 that gives the ¶ (paragraph) symbol.  There's alt0186 that gives the º (zero power) symbol.  There's alt0185 that gives the ¹ (one power) symbol.  There's alt0178 that gives the ² (two power) symbol.  There's alt0179 that gives the ³ (three power) symbol.  There's the alt0188 that gives the ¼ fraction.  There's the alt0189 that gives the ½ fraction.  There's the alt0190 that gives the ¾ fraction.  I have this list posted on my desk so that I can refer to them when I need to.

janice21475 likes this