Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hammer

Computer question...

3 posts in this topic

I was having issues with my Dell Dimension XPS 9100 computer, so I replaced the power supply (again), and while it boots up okay, and seems to be working fine, the power button, which is amber when I turn it on, then as Windows starts up, that amber turns white.  Well now it just stays amber, and I don't know why.  I have tried researching this, but I can't find any solutions as to why it stays amber.  Does anyone have any ideas about this?  I mean, the computer is working fine, but it's disconcerting seeing that amber light.  Should I be concerned about this?  Oh, the power supply that I removed was a 650 watt Cool Master supply, and I replaced it with an EVGA SuperNova, T2 series, 1000 watt, Titanium power supply, so this new power supply should be able to handle anything that this computer needs.

The changes in the power light color are reflective of boot checking. I would imagine that in the boot sequence the motherboard checks the power source for 'degrading, or any change in power output'...which is what you've done. First the boot goes through the bios...then through Windows. Good chance your bios recognizes it as "power"...the OS system sees it as "foreign". Look in your Event Log for anything your system is reporting.

The amber light thing seems to have corrected itself.  I booted up the computer today, and the amber light changed to the white light, like it usually does.  So far, everything seems to be working okay.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.  If this computer boots up okay for the next week, then I can only assume that the problem was the power supply.  If it doesn't boot up okay for the next week, then I'll probably need to get another computer, since to me, that means that there is something else wrong with this computer.....probably something with the motherboard.

I did manage to find a place that will build the computer configuration that I want....Digital Storm's Apollo series, and it won't cost me a ton of money, but until I see how this computer reacts with this new power supply, I will hold off on buying a new computer.  The only thing lacking with the Digital Storm computer is that it only has 8 USB ports, and I need at least 10, but I can get around that because my monitor has 4 USB ports on it, and my keyboard has 2 USB ports on it.

ran23 likes this