art

Hurricane IRMA

27 posts in this topic

I'm in Florida and our governor had declared an emergency exists.

Check your drug supplies and make sure you have enough for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Right now nobody knows exactly where this beast is going

Art

meyery2k, macksvicky, janice21475 and 3 others like this

Down here in Florida with Art! Checking the 'progress' of Irma often. Our County has a Facebook page and will be sending alerts. Not much I can do to prepare. Don't know what I will do if it heads directly for my spot. Can't take the dogs to a shelter with me. They would be cramped in the cab of my pick-up. Don't know if I could get my big dog up in there, anyway. Guess we will just have to wait and see. Hope everyone else in the path of this storm is safe.

TX_Clint, macksvicky, Carol_42 and 1 other like this

Almost forgot.

As it's a declared state of emergency prescriptions can be refilled before the set time

Art

TX_Clint, princesslinda, ran23 and 7 others like this

Definitely stay safe.  I've got friends in it's path as well, and praying for them too.  

Carol_42, meyery2k, TX_Clint and 2 others like this

Thoughts and prayers with those in harms way. Please check in when you can and let us know you are safe.

Seagal, meyery2k, macksvicky and 2 others like this

10 hours ago, princesslinda said:

Thoughts and prayers with those in harms way. Please check in when you can and let us know you are safe.

No worry about me checking in, Princess Linda, I am glued to the computer, eyes glued open, too. :o  So far, so good.

buddy7, macksvicky, meyery2k and 1 other like this

I must edit my previous post:

While listening to our State Governor discussing the threat of Hurricane Irma I heard him thank of all the States (especially the far reaching ones) for the emergency personnel they had already deployed.  I would not doubt other Countries have done the same. I am thinking of Lee and those in other far reaching Countries). I THANK YOU, too.  :hug::hug:

macksvicky, TX_Clint and meyery2k like this

Absolute devastation in most parts of the Caribbean, by hurricane Irma, my thoughts are with these people. One can only hope it diminishes in strength’s when it reaches Florida.

Be safe to all of you folks over there.

janice21475, macksvicky, TX_Clint and 1 other like this

Praying and asking God to protect all the countries in the path of storms this hurricane season.

macksvicky, meyery2k, TX_Clint and 1 other like this

For water - Shut off the intake to your water heater before the storm hits.  You now have a reservoir of emergency water if the local supply becomes contaminated.  You might have to connect a hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank to get the water out.  

macksvicky, TX_Clint and janice21475 like this

And fill your bathtubs

It's how you may have to flush your toilet.

This isn't going to be fun

Art

Fraser, janice21475, meyery2k and 1 other like this

Also fill your washing machines with water.

Keep a flashlight handy. I have smaller ones hanging off door handles throughout the year. Theyre good enough to show the way to larger ones or candles etc.

I put candles inside old fish tanks or tall vases so an unexpected wind doesnt create accidents.

macksvicky, meyery2k, Moonpie and 1 other like this

Most smart phones have flashlight apps built in but the screen can be bright enough to see a little so you don't run down the battery. 

adiantum and macksvicky like this

Came out in  pretty good shape.

Lost power for 3 days . Thank God it didn't get really hot.

We got lucky and it just missed. Naples  got hammered

Art

TX_Clint, meyery2k, janice21475 and 3 others like this

2 hours ago, art said:

Came out in  pretty good shape.

Lost power for 3 days . Thank God it didn't get really hot.

We got lucky and it just missed. Naples  got hammered

Art

I'm glad you're okay, Art.  I've been glued to the media through this whole ordeal and it sure doesn't look good for many folks.  So sad.  Take care.

Edited by Carol_42
meyery2k and macksvicky like this

It was hectic. Rushed to a shelter at the last minute. (Hope to have a 'shelter kit' prepared if there is ever a next time.). They accepted both dogs, provided cages. I had 23 hour access to them and could walk them anytime I wanted to run the gauntlet of barking dogs. They even provided 'poop pock up bags.' Best of all, they gave my dogs FREE micro-chipping, did it on the spot. The shelter fed us constantly. Sadly it was very high carb and sodium, I am having a time getting my BP back down. 

Came home on the 11th. No Elec or phone. Best thing was - no damage to the trailer.

Electric came back on that afternoon with the phone. The next morning the phone was gone but came back yesterday.

I took a picture of the downed tree and will post it as soon as I can.

I spent most of yesterday sorting through stored items which got soaked when the storm pealed off the canopy covering the carport frame. NOTE: It is not worth the effort to store things. My late husband did not like to throw anything away, now I am doing it for him. Even though he is dead I am still cleaning up after him, it sort of brings him close.

Had an appointment yesterday and passing gas stations, most were still without fuel. On the way home, some of them must have gotten supplied and there were LONG lines down the streets.

Many people are still without power and until the flooding goes down will be for weeks. They are really suffering, the heat is killer. A nursing home yesterday, or the day before  had an emergency evacuation and several people died from overheating. Heat is a serious thing when you live even in the Northern sub-tropics.

I spent a couple hours burning fallen limbs yesterday and still have bunches to move to the burn pile.

Grateful to have gotten through with as little loss as I had and glad to be able to get back here with friends.

Love to all,

Janice

macksvicky, TX_Clint, buddy7 and 3 others like this

So glad you're OK Janice! And you as well, Art. My heart really goes out to the people that are still suffering the effects of the hurricanes.

Edited by macksvicky
meyery2k, Java, buddy7 and 2 others like this

I was watching ariel photos during the major blackouts. I only saw one building (maybe a business) that had solar panels. this might have been down south in the keys.   Solar is not that popular?? 

adiantum and macksvicky like this

There are several business that I have seen in Gainesville that have their entire roof covered with big panels. It is not terribly popular. For the expense of the panels and the controllers it takes a long time to realize and benefit. Plus, you need to have the building far enough away from any trees that limbs do not drop on the panels. That means you can not benefit from the shade of the tree to lower the temps. It is not a simple fix. I have two big panels and all the hardware needed to hook it up but never have been able to afford the heavy wire necessary to run from the panels to the controller box. Plus, there are too many trees and they are not in a position that I could easily bring them down. I really need to sell that stuff. :D

Java, ran23, buddy7 and 2 others like this

Janice.  Wow.  What an ordeal you have been through.  I'm so sorry.  But I'm glad you are safe and not suffering too much damage.  Thank you for sharing this with us.

Carol

macksvicky, meyery2k, janice21475 and 1 other like this

It is estimated 95% of homes were destroyed in Antigua &  Barbuda by Irma.

So many animals have been displaced & in need of care .

International Fund for Animal Welfare  IFAW  is trying to help both domestic & native animals so are naturally hoping for donations

meyery2k and macksvicky like this