Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vivian33397

Is the " insulin standard day" useful for you?

16 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am developing an App to management blood glucose,

and there is a function that display blood glucose standard day and insulin standard day in same page.

Though it's cool for me to view the values and insulin in same page, 

but the insulin data displaced in different period, and not total daily insulin.

 

Do you think it's useful to management blood glucose?

 

Thanks a lot!

Vivian

 

 

 

Standard day1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what you are talking about. I use an insulin pump and do not find this kind of information on it. Neither do I find it helpful to see daily, weekly, etc., averages of all sorts. I concentrate more on managing my immediate numbers and less (far less) on the long range statistics. My feeling is that if my moment to moment numbers are within range, then the long range stats will also be within my selected range. I manage my DM to live as normal a life as I can. I do not live to manage my DM.

Coravh, macksvicky and vivian33397 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi NoraWI,

Thank you to point this out!

I though user could benefit from this graph to modify the insulin of different period.

But....I was wrong.

"I manage my DM to live as normal a life as I can", this sentence is really meaningful to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on MDI, not a pump. And I don't have a CGM. But I think I'd have to agree with Nora, that I don't think I'd find "normal" averages very helpful. Because I don't really have a "standard day." Now what I do find helpful is when I can compare results of insulin and BG increase or decrease within a certain period after a particular meal. I do this with notations on my BG record spreadsheet. But I have to do a search for something specific like what happened when I ate Kung Pao shrimp and how many ounces of it did I eat. Information like that can become helpful when I want to order the same thing again and see if I can make changes that might improve results.

 

I also sometimes eat three meals a day, other times five or six "meals." My breakfast might be at 3 AM, 6 AM or even 11 AM.  Some days I might have two or three "breakfasts."  I don't know how a life like that could be recorded in the type of charts you display. Of course, I'm retired, so my life might be less orderly than that of most working folks.

macksvicky and vivian33397 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you please explain what an 'insulin standard day' is? I've never heard that term. And I've been around a very long time.

 

I agree with the comments about averages. They are pretty useless when it comes to managememt.  When I was working on losing weight, I simply kept track of my TDD. And easy way to keep your carbs cut when you keep track of how much you are bolusing..

vivian33397, NoraWI and macksvicky like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a meter, Bayer Contour Next One, that "talks" to the app from the same company on my phone.  Each time I test my blood glucose the number goes straight to my phone and it gives me a list of all the tests I've done for any particular day.  There is also a 7,14,21 and 30 day average.  I also have never heard the term 'insulin standard day' and I've been around a long time too.

Coravh, NoraWI, vivian33397 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My One Touch tester that comes as a remote to the Animas Ping pump can also provide various averages which I never bother with. Not useful. Like Cora said, it is much more useful to look at the TDD (Total Daily Dose) to gauge whether there was too much carbohydrate intake. I strive for a balance between the amount of basal and bolus but seldom achieve it. My bad. But that is life. :wub:

vivian33397 and macksvicky like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NoraWI said:

My One Touch tester that comes as a remote to the Animas Ping pump can also provide various averages which I never bother with. Not useful. Like Cora said, it is much more useful to look at the TDD (Total Daily Dose) to gauge whether there was too much carbohydrate intake. I strive for a balance between the amount of basal and bolus but seldom achieve it. My bad. But that is life. :wub:

Nora, if you don't mind my asking, what balance are you trying to achieve between basal and bolus? I know that I've had a few docs tell me that "ideally" I needed to have a 50/50 split. But that never worked for me. Even in the bad old days of R and N, I usually took 2 to 3 times as much N. And while I was pumping, I usually took about double the basal as compared to my boluses. I just have never eaten a lot of carby stuff (even when I wasn't trying to lose weight).

macksvicky, NoraWI and vivian33397 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coravh said:

Even in the bad old days of R and N, I usually took 2 to 3 times as much N. And while I was pumping, I usually took about double the basal as compared to my boluses. I just have never eaten a lot of carby stuff (even when I wasn't trying to lose weight).

 

And I'm exactly the opposite. My usual proportion is 75% bolus to 25% basal. That's to cover 120 to 150 g carb a day.  I'd have to get it down to about 50 carbs a day to have the ratio 50-50. My endo has commented several times about how amazed he is at how little basal I need, currently 8 units a day, but it has been as low as 5.

Coravh, macksvicky and vivian33397 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cora, I have also read that one should strive for a 50/50 basal to bolus ratio. And it never worked for me either. My TDD is approximately 35 units with approximately 13 units of basal. My weight remains steady with that ratio. However, I have gained about 20 pounds in the last 15 years and would gladly lose them. I would like to be 40 years old again, too. :rolleyes:

Coravh, vivian33397 and macksvicky like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With 100 g of carb per day, my basal total was 14 units and bolus would average about 7 u. Only on the rarest of occasions would I take more than 22 u in a day.

macksvicky and vivian33397 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That shows that I am eating too many carbs. I am 76 years old, almost 77. Probably much older than you. BTW, I love the Afghan hound on your avatar. Is that a dog you own? There is an ad on the telly which shows a man looking around a cocktail party and heading towards a blonde with flowing hair sitting on the sofa with her back to him. As he approaches, the blonde turns to look at him and... it's an Afghan hound. :D

Coravh, vivian33397 and macksvicky like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Nora. My avatar is Wiska (aka Wiska-Biska, aka White Wonder). He passed away last August. He was only 12. And yes, he had that flowing blond hair - even though I typically shaved down the rest of him. He wasn't a show dog. We now have Ernie (1 year old with a mohawk - a black masked red afghan hound) and Molly (4 year old black and tan afghan). The loves of my life.....er....next to my husband, of course.

 

On the carb front, anything much more than 100 or 120 g of carb and I gain weight. I'm small (5') and now that menopause has hit, I have to be even more careful.

NoraWI, vivian33397 and macksvicky like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Coravh said:

Could you please explain what an 'insulin standard day' is? I've never heard that term. And I've been around a very long time.

 

I agree with the comments about averages. They are pretty useless when it comes to managememt.  When I was working on losing weight, I simply kept track of my TDD. And easy way to keep your carbs cut when you keep track of how much you are bolusing..

Hi Coravh,

The "insulin standard day" shows the daily pattern of insulin over the specified date range(7 days in picture). It can be used to compare to glucose standard day, and helps user understand the relation between high or low blood glucose and insulin.

but this function seems not quite useful for user......

 

Uff Da, the function you mention is cool!

It seems relation between diet( or carb intake) and blood glucose is more important then insulin statistic data!

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vivian33397 said:

It seems relation between diet( or carb intake) and blood glucose is more important then insulin statistic data!

  

Absolutely! What is important in DM management is the impact on our body... how carb intake affects blood glucose, what makes blood glucose numbers go up or down. And that information is available through frequent testing. More data often obscures the issues, especially irrelevant data.

vivian33397 and macksvicky like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coravh said:

Thanks Nora. My avatar is Wiska (aka Wiska-Biska, aka White Wonder). He passed away last August. He was only 12. And yes, he had that flowing blond hair - even though I typically shaved down the rest of him. He wasn't a show dog. We now have Ernie (1 year old with a mohawk - a black masked red afghan hound) and Molly (4 year old black and tan afghan). The loves of my life.....er....next to my husband, of course.

 

On the carb front, anything much more than 100 or 120 g of carb and I gain weight. I'm small (5') and now that menopause has hit, I have to be even more careful.

Cora, I have a black and tan dog... but it's an Airedale. I have had Airedales for about 55 years of our marriage. The present one is a pre-owned that I was lucky to get at 6 years of age, almost 6 years ago. She is my best friend and keeps me sane. The love of my life is going to be 90 this November and has slid down to being about 7 years old again.

 

Blossom head.jpg

macksvicky, vivian33397, GrammaBear and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0