adiantum

2018 Morning FBG tests

725 posts in this topic

both  the 114 and 110 are with in expected meter variation so they are the same reading

the 125 is above the expected range.  

What matters is the trends you see.  Like higher morning readings you have posted.

since you have recently stopped all meds, it would be expected that your numbers are changing. 

Your A1c will tell you if your numbers are higher.   When I stopped meds my A1c went from 6.0 to 6.3.  Which I corrected back to 6.0 with diet changes and increased exercise

There is no real way to compare numbers between meters.  I would keep the meter you have been using the longest until the the A1c test indicates the meter readings are off. 

janice21475, BookwormBetty, Della Street and 4 others like this

Summer doesn't want to leave us yet so enjoying watching athletes fall into the snow when it's 100F here

janice21475, Della Street, FunDad62 and 6 others like this

102 on this beautiful sunny Carnival Monday.

BookwormBetty, sending you light and love. Remember to breathe.

Congratulations, Della Street.

Della Street, meyery2k, BookwormBetty and 4 others like this

well this fun, since testing after lunch, I am staying under 100,  first time.   

BookwormBetty, Ahnanimus, FunDad62 and 4 others like this

On 2/11/2018 at 6:05 PM, Dave_KC said:

122 this morning.  

I was handed a OneTouch Verio meter and three packs of strips at church this morning.  I'm very curious to compare to my old ReliOn Meter.  I just did an experiment with it, and got a 90, which I haven't seen anything like on the WalMart meter for awhile. 

Dave, you're seeing what I've been seeing with different meters.  I really like my older Bayer Contour meter, as it seems to be the most accurate meter that I've had.  I've had the Relion Prime, the  Verio One Touch Ultra 2 (which was pretty good), a meter by GE, but I can't remember the model, a Freestyle Freedom, a Gluco Navii, a Prodigy Pocket (a real pick of junk), and this Fora G20 meter, which is as bad as the Prodigy was.  I squeeze out a large drop of blood, and place each meter's test strip in that drop of blood, so they both should read close to each other, but they don't.  When one meter, like the Prodigy or this Fora meter meter reads 30 points higher that the Bayer meter one day, then reads 15 points lower than the Bayer the next day, that meter is worthless.  I base my insulin dose on my meter's readings, and if I used anything but the Bayer meter, I'd be dead, or in a coma right now.

FunDad62, Ahnanimus, BookwormBetty and 3 others like this

126 this morning immediately followed by 128. Still higher than I'd like nut acceptable considering the food choices I had available to me yesterday.  (I didn't expect to be at the hospital as long as I was or I'd have stopped at the store first.) Gramma is still hanging on and hospice is taking over her care this morning.

TX_Clint, janice21475, FunDad62 and 4 others like this

195  Guess I didn't take enough Tresiba last night.  First time back on it.

Happy Mardi Gras y'all!  Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Ahnanimus, adiantum, BookwormBetty and 3 others like this

New supply of One Touch (my one a day script) vs Cheapy CVS Advantage 

One Touch 97 CVS 105.   

I accept them as being with in the margin on error. 

Edited by Fraser
FunDad62, janice21475, Della Street and 4 others like this

Hammer,

It appears to me that there is a pattern forming with these readings. When ever the numbers are in a certain range the two meters read much closer to each other. Have you entered all the readings on a chart so you could compare that at a glance. Some days the difference is a smaller spread than others but since I have not saved all your posts I can't give a good assessment. I hop eyou will follow up on that and see what you notice.

It may be that each of them has a sweet spot and reads best when near there.

Just a thought.  Hope it helps.

FunDad62, meyery2k, Della Street and 2 others like this

Hi Janice!

No, I don't keep a chart of my readings, because the only readings that seem to be accurate are the Bayer readings.  While the Fora meter is close to the Bayer meter's readings on different occasions, the Fora meter has wild variations, like  when the Bayer meter reads a low number, like the 62 that I had today, the Fora meter reads 75.  Other times, when the Bayer meter indicated a low reading, the Fora meter read a lot higher than the Bayer meter.  Then there were times when the Bayer meter read a normal reading, and the Fora meter read that I was low.  Since I use the same drop of blood to make both tests, the Fora meter isn't accurate enough for me to determine my insulin dose.  Once I run out of test strips for the Fora meter, it's going the way of the Prodigy meter...in the trash can.  The problem with the Fora meter is that, even if it gives me a reading that is close to the Bayer meter reading, I have no way of knowing if the Fora reading is accurate.  For example, if the Fora meter reads 100, am I actually at 100?....or am I at 75, which is what the Bayer meter reads?  If the Bayer meter read 100, then I would need to take a small shot of insulin to get me back down into the 70's, but if the Fora meter read 100, when I was actually in the 70's, and I took a small shot of insulin, it could kill me.  I have no faith in this Fora meter, and all of the meters that the mail order pharmacy that my insurance company requires me to deal with, are all junk.  They no longer carry name brand meters, just cheap meters that are worthless.  The meters that they carry can be purchased at Wal-Mart for less than $10, but they charge $75 for those meters.  I think that the Relion Prime meter that I bought from Wal-Mart, while not very accurate, is more accurate than the meters that this mail order company offers.

BookwormBetty, TX_Clint, FunDad62 and 2 others like this

144 this morning immediately followed by 154. I can't entirely blame hospital cafeteria food because I did indulge in the m&ms and Hershey kisses that were being passed around the room yesterday. Delicious! Not really worth those numbers, though. (But I can confirm that chocolate does seem to help relieve stress. All in my head, maybe!)

meyery2k, TX_Clint, Ahnanimus and 5 others like this

174  Still tweaking dosages.

Valentines Day doesn't mean much when you're single I suppose.  Happy hump day.

Ahnanimus, BookwormBetty, Della Street and 4 others like this

FunDad62, I am now single, and I've been single for 30 years, and I have to say that being single is a lot better than being married.  I have no one to answer to, I do what I want to do, and I have no one yelling at me for whatever reason.  Single is the best way to be, and I'll never, ever get married again....it's too expensive to be married.  When you say "I do", she gets half of everything that you own, and to me, that is not fair.  Stay single....it's a lot cheaper....trust me, I've been there and done that.

FunDad62 and TX_Clint like this

Today's reading was 99.

I have been down in the dumps lately, no energy, no desire to do anything, I think that I have a touch of SAD. I can't wait for sunny days to sit outside.

adiantum, FunDad62, Della Street and 5 others like this