More and more people suffered diabetes, so it is important for them to learn how to have a healthy diet. The following tips should be the general aim for diabetics who are following a special diet.
• To stabilize the blood glucose levels.
• To prevent damage to the heart and maintain healthy and normal cholesterol and triglyceride levels and blood pressure.
• To maintain a weight that is considered as reasonable which in other words means a weight that is achievable and sustainable and which does not become a danger to other healthy organs of the body such as the heart etc.
• To prevent medical complications of diabetes such as kidney or heart disease or if they have already occurred, to manage the problem with caution.
Naturally, there is no single diabetes diet that will suit everyone. But, of course there are general dietary guidelines that will suit everyone.
• Avoid saturated fats which are found in animal products and trans fatty acids which are found in hard margarine, fast foods etc. Select monounsaturated fats like virgin oil or canola oil and also polyunsaturated oils such as sunflower or rapeseed oil.
• Avoid high cholesterol foods.
• Take fiber rich foods like whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds and legumes.
• Try and take fresh fruits when choosing foods with sugar but in moderation of course.
• Limit protein especially high fat meats
• Reduce salt
The American Diabetes Association recommends that less than 7 % to 10% of the calories should consist of saturated fats which are infamous for raising the LDL or the bad cholesterol. The patient has to try and maintain his dietary cholesterol to less than 200 to 300 mg per day and minimize the trans-unsaturated fats — also known as partially hydrogenated oils — in his diet.
More related articles: www.diabetesdestroyer.ws