Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tbowes45

vitamins/supplements

Tbowes45

Hello...I workout and run almost everyday....I take Whey protein just for a little extra protein...I talked to my doctor and she said whey protein is good because there arent that many carbs in a serving....Alot of other stuff us diabetics arent aloud to take such as creatine ETC....I was wondering if anybody out there knew of any good supplements or vitamins we can take for working out???thank you

T.Bowes

duck

I'd like to see her quote a medical study that says diabetics aren't "allowed" to take creatine. I used it for years. Like many who use/d it, it lost its effectiveness after about six months for me (though, the cramps got the best of me once at about 1 year on the stuff, LOL). If you are otherwise healthy, I can't think of a reason why you couldn't take creatine.

On the same note, there's a lot of bunk out there as far as supplementation...Always has, always will. Human beings are for some reason sooooooooooo willing to try and swallow something for improved health, and as long as that flaw exists, there will always be someone trying to exploit that flaw. There have been numerous studies showing supplementation is worthless at best. Still, I suffer from that flaw so I take my multi vitamin and "stress formula" B complex almost every day. I don't feel any better for it. :tomato:

Carwy

My oncologist told me to buy the Costco brand. He told me they are all the same. I was also told by him and others to get them in a capsule. They absorb quicker and you get more of the vitamins that way. You do not pass them on out. I use the Natural man vitamins from GNC (when he will let me take them). So all I can say is check around and find the best one for you.

Just_Plain_John

I think the "creatine issue" is probably just worry about protein dumping in the kidneys, which we diabetics have a serious risk for. All creatine use requires lots of water consumption to ensure there's no kidney problems. I'm not sure the creatine is really worth the extra hassle unless someone is a competitive bodybuilder going for that last few percent. For most of us (even very serious lifters) something like the whey/soy protein supplements and proper muscle group rotation in our workouts is the way to go.

Cyborg
I talked to my doctor and she said whey protein is good because there arent that many carbs in a serving....

Protein does get metabolized into glucose at approximately 50% conversion. It does take longer for this process to occur than simply ingesting carbs, so the protein probably helps to keep your bg up while exercising, assuming you don't bolus for protein.

I was wondering if anybody out there knew of any good supplements or vitamins we can take for working out???

T.Bowes

I take a good multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement as most multi-vitamins do not contain anywhere near 100% your RDA.

rzrbks
Tbowes45

Hello...I workout and run almost everyday....I take Whey protein just for a little extra protein...I talked to my doctor and she said whey protein is good because there arent that many carbs in a serving....Alot of other stuff us diabetics arent aloud to take such as creatine ETC....

And you're trying to cause constant micro-tears in your muscles because..........?

As a former coach(nearly all sports) much research has shown that creatine use is just plain doofus for anyone except Pros under expert care. And even they are more susceptible to injuries. In fact, many theorize that creatine is a major cause of high level athletes being on injured list more often and longer.

Regilow

My aunt and other friends of mine are using a nutritional product and have reported good results in control of their blood sugar levels.

Has anyone here heard of and/or used Himalayan Goji Juice? Did/Does it work?

Winston

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.