Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grace girl

A different caffeine question..

grace girl

I didn't want to hijack SHIBOLETHDUDE's thread, so I'm starting this one.

I get up every morning, check my bg, have a cup of coffee. My bg increases 20-30 points. I thought at first it was the milk, but I tried it without milk and got the same results. So, I assumed it was caffeine...but after I responded to SHIBOLETHDUDE's thread I got to thinking about the whole thing and I wondered if there's something else behind it.

Does bg start to rise after you get up anyway? Could the DP be delayed until waking?

I wondered because, as I mentioned in his thread, I drink tea and have no problems with bg at all.

Any one have a clue?

Penny

I drink two large cups of black coffee, with no sugar or sweetener, every morning. I have tested after, and have never seen more than a few points difference. My doctor insists I not have coffee when I fast, though. I get up early,test,have my coffee while I get the grandkid off to school,sometimes I test again before I have breakfast. The numbers are always pretty close to the same.

duck

Grace, my first thought is "try it a few days without the coffee and see how your sugars go..." If they don't rise, it's the coffee. If they do rise, then it's something else.

BTW, and I know people will want to slap me, but DP is when your sugars rise before you wake up. There are other things that can happen and make your sugars rise upon waking (Jedi had a good post about it).

grace girl
Grace, my first thought is "try it a few days without the coffee and see how your sugars go..." If they don't rise, it's the coffee. If they do rise, then it's something else.

BTW, and I know people will want to slap me, but DP is when your sugars rise before you wake up. There are other things that can happen and make your sugars rise upon waking (Jedi had a good post about it).

Well, gee, thought to try it without the milk, but it hadn't occurred to me to try the OBVIOUS thing...no coffee!

Glad to know that about DP...not something I experience, so I didn't know if there was something to it that I didn't know. Thanks!

grace girl
I drink two large cups of black coffee, with no sugar or sweetener, every morning. I have tested after, and have never seen more than a few points difference. My doctor insists I not have coffee when I fast, though. I get up early,test,have my coffee while I get the grandkid off to school,sometimes I test again before I have breakfast. The numbers are always pretty close to the same.

Interesting. I check fasting before the coffee, but I always have to check again before breakfast so I can correct that that rise I'm getting. I assumed it was coffee...but now, well...something else to learn!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.