Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rzrbks

Injecting through clothes

rzrbks

I use and InDuo(basically a type of pen) with 31g 0.25 inch = 6.35 millimeter needles and almost always when I inject through my clothes, I run hyper. Instead of the expected 85/4.7 - 100/5.5 I tend to be in the 115/6.3 range.

Could it simply be the fact of injecting through shirt or is there some trick?

I do leave the needle in a bit longer than normal, just to be on the safe side.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mick

I've been injecting thru clothing for many many years. I use even smaller needles--the 6mm ones. I've never noted any difference in readings--but your readings look fine to me--certainly within the + or -10% margin of error of our meters--in which a reading of 100 (to use an easy number) COULD actually be as low as 90 or as high as 110, a range of error of 20 points at that level. Lighten up and enjoy your excellent control!

Michael

T1 41 years

rzrbks

OK, I see--------you're both saying that something is wrong with me, that I'm a Freak well Thbbptt (quoting Bill the Cat)

Actually, being TypeA/ Anal I Have to have it Exactly So Right Now------drives my wife and friends nuts.

Plus reading all the posts over the years, most people have no trouble when shooting through their clothes---so why am I the oddball exception?

Well, the Welsh have always been known as being under a cloud, as well as the Polish and the Belgians. I can claim connection to all three, plus about 44-45 others.

Keezheekoni

I've never injected through my clothes... I've had glucagon through clothes, but not my insulin. I'm not any help to anybody today! LOL

corwin

I'm too chicken to inject through my clothes. Is it really safe to do it on a regular basis? I'm always scared the needle will bend or it will hurt or I won't get the correct amount not to mention infection and such. Should I stop worrying? It could be much more comfortable to do it this way, especially on buisness lunches and such.

notme

ummmmm I never did that. Nope not me, I am a good diabetic. NOT!!! Did it every day. hahahaha. Never had a problem with reading or infection.

grace girl

My dad does it all the time, never has a problem. Me, I've got to SEE the skin before I can inject. Paranoid? Anal? I have no clue!

KickStart101

Hey Rz, I've never injected through my clothing since I think that would

feel Yukky(and God knows what else would occur :D ). I don't think that

would account for your higher bgl, however.

On the other hand, I don't think giving an accurate injection would suffer

from injecting through clothing.

I think something else just happened to you that day to change your schedule.

:) Sorry Love. ;)

Stuboy

so people who inject through clothing.... do you not clean your injection spot first?

i usually clean my injection spot with an alcoholic wipe before injecting...

corwin

Stuboy, that's what they tell you when you are first dx'ed. I might be wrong but I doubt anyone on MDI is doing that longer then few months after dx. Now if you just finished a mud wrestling match that's a different issue...

Just did my first injection through my shirt, it seems to have worked just fine :)

middnite03

I always injected throught my shirts, never tried through my pant leg tho.. still do inject with symlin right through my shirts all the time.....

:idea:

Keezheekoni

I stopped using alcohol swabs years ago. :) Good hand washing for bg finger sticks, but my belly really isn't out for the world to see so I don't believe it gets dirty enough to warrant using a swab on it. LOL

Cyborg

I doubt it is the clothing that is causing your higher numbers.

I don't inject through clothing because I don't like blood spots on my clothes.

rzrbks

Been checking since I posted this:

1. When I inject through my shirt or pants, I run 15/.8 to 30/1.6 higher than if I inject into bare skin

B. This has been the pattern since I started injecting through clothes

Thirdly. This is true even if I keep the needle in for an extra 10 seconds

I'm thinking that when I inject through clothes that I tend to push the needle in too far, whereas, when I inject into bare skin, the needle cap barely touches the skin, if at all.

Course, this could also have something to do with Tounge Placement Phenomenon or the Moons of Saturn Effect

sofaraway

have never injected through clothes, incase of a bleeder.

I have never used alcohol swabs, and am new to injecting. I 'thought' that they weren't encouraged as they can irritate the skin and make it hard (i could have just made that up though?)

MamaCat

I figure if they teach U.S. Air Force pilots to inject through clothing as part of their survival training, then it's good enough for me! Have used that "technique" for most of my 33 years as a diabetic -- NO alcohol swab first -- even reuse my syringe (or pen needle). NEVER a problem, infection or otherwise. It's a great "quality of life" technique. One caveat, however: I probably wouldn't inject through my clothes if I had just cleaned out the septic tank...

rzrbks
One caveat, however: I probably wouldn't inject through my clothes if I had just cleaned out the septic tank...

Where's your sense of Thrill?

lilituc
Don't you guys worry about hitting a vein? When I was on injections if I hit a vein I would bleed......

I don't inject through clothing and that's why. It already happens often enough with the blood vessels I can't see, so why would I want to take chances with the ones I can eliminate by sight? (I have a really small ribcage, so my theory as to why I hit one so often is that I have a normal number of blood vessels; they're just closer together on me.) YMMV, of course.

MamaCat
Don't you guys worry about hitting a vein? When I was on injections if I hit a vein I would bleed......

I wish I had veins like yours when I go for my blood work...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.